Norman D. Landing

bilko1

American Graffiti

Hi Ken, I like your Dodge story kind of makes you think some things are meant to be.

All your jeep updates are appreciated nearly as much as the then and now's, fascinating to watch updates.

Thanks again,

AG

12 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat, 

A local couple that hang out with us when we take our vehicles to shows decided it was time they had their own vehicle to take to the shows, as Mike is tall he decided it would have to be a Dodge weapons carrier as his legs are too long for a Jeep. Well they went to see one carrier advertised at 10.000 euros near Caen it had a worn out engine and it was possible to see the grass through the floor panels it would need a total rebuild and a lot of metal panels welded in. They saw a second one advertised near Marseille about a seven hour drive each way, the photos provided looked acceptable so they headed off with a suitable trailer in tow, due to the distance and speed towing the trailer they made an overnight stop before arriving at the address at 09h00 the following morning.  It was a repeat of the first one, the photos had been taken without showing the true condition of the truck, it all came to nothing.  Mike said it wasn't even worth 4,000, the owner said he wouldn't accept less than 10,000, so they headed off with an empty trailer for the seven hour return journey.

A couple of days later late one night Mike looked on-line and spotted an advert for a Dodge weapons carrier for 4,500 which included two crates of original unused spares, Mike sent an email that he would be there at 09h00 next morning a three hour drive away.  Next morning Mike and long-time Dodge owner Peter drove over and Mike couldn't get his money out fast enough as Peter had whispered to him him ' if you're not having it, I am '.  Mike paid for it and arranged to pick it up on the following Sunday, the owner said please bring your wives with you and we will provide Sunday lunch, lunch turned out to be a five course affair with wines and champagne and lasted four hours. 

Peter assessed the two crates of spares as being worth at least 2,000 euros worth at current prices and the total price was 4,500.  All that Mike has had to buy is a new canvas roof, I will have to get some photos and post on the thread. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 05  2021.  ( today would have been my fathers 105th birthday )

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Get story! And sounds like the original owner was a great guy inviting the wives for lunch. All of you sure know how to have fun over there! Must be a great place to live. 

...Kat

Hi Kat, 

A local couple that hang out with us when we take our vehicles to shows decided it was time they had their own vehicle to take to the shows, as Mike is tall he decided it would have to be a Dodge weapons carrier as his legs are too long for a Jeep. Well they went to see one carrier advertised at 10.000 euros near Caen it had a worn out engine and it was possible to see the grass through the floor panels it would need a total rebuild and a lot of metal panels welded in. They saw a second one advertised near Marseille about a seven hour drive each way, the photos provided looked acceptable so they headed off with a suitable trailer in tow, due to the distance and speed towing the trailer they made an overnight stop before arriving at the address at 09h00 the following morning.  It was a repeat of the first one, the photos had been taken without showing the true condition of the truck, it all came to nothing.  Mike said it wasn't even worth 4,000, the owner said he wouldn't accept less than 10,000, so they headed off with an empty trailer for the seven hour return journey.

A couple of days later late one night Mike looked on-line and spotted an advert for a Dodge weapons carrier for 4,500 which included two crates of original unused spares, Mike sent an email that he would be there at 09h00 next morning a three hour drive away.  Next morning Mike and long-time Dodge owner Peter drove over and Mike couldn't get his money out fast enough as Peter had whispered to him him ' if you're not having it, I am '.  Mike paid for it and arranged to pick it up on the following Sunday, the owner said please bring your wives with you and we will provide Sunday lunch, lunch turned out to be a five course affair with wines and champagne and lasted four hours. 

Peter assessed the two crates of spares as being worth at least 2,000 euros worth at current prices and the total price was 4,500.  All that Mike has had to buy is a new canvas roof, I will have to get some photos and post on the thread. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 05  2021.  ( today would have been my fathers 105th birthday )

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Double post! I got so interested in your parties that I hit enter twice.  Hahaha!!!

...Kat

General Apathy

Further information provided for us by our friend Rene from Holland . . . . . . .

A couple of months back I showed a complete pack of unissued wartime USAAF insignia with a different style retaining clip on the rear, Rene has just emailed me with a drawing of that clip from the US Patents office, thanks Rene

.fullsizeoutput_b988.jpeg.6d778747a134bb62d8c01bfa6754674e.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 05  2021.

Hi Rene,

many thanks for the patent office drawing for the DUI clip,  here's another drawing from the patents office I will roll past you . . . . . . . . . 

.tpperforated1.jpg.d8df4e254ff5bba34515f895819e1dd2.jpg

General Apathy
11 hours ago, American Graffiti said:

Hi Ken, I like your Dodge story kind of makes you think some things are meant to be.

All your jeep updates are appreciated nearly as much as the then and now's, fascinating to watch updates.

Thanks again,

AG

Hi AG,

thanks,  just another little reminiscence in the tapestry of life . . . . . . . . . . . 

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . . 

Well sadly I felt it was time to empty the shoebox and pass things onto another generation of collectors, shown here is a very rare and unusual WWII head-wound gas mask which was sold at auction and I believe went to a good home of a medical corps collector, hopefully it will appear again one day in a book he's in the process of writing. 

.fullsizeoutput_ba0c.jpeg.8784a31b5e0bcdf4215153b903ad100f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_ba11.jpeg.e4f5c9735fc78bf386f682888bed9fb3.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

many thanks for the patent office drawing for the DUI clip,  here's another drawing from the patents office I will roll past you . . . . . . . . . 

Good information. Now I know I can go back in time to at least 1892 without bringing my own supply.

Mikie

13 hours ago, American Graffiti said:

Thanks again,

AG

You said what I was going to say. Thanks for saving me some typing. 

Mikie

General Apathy

and now for something completely different . . . . . 

Amazing the change in four weeks . . . . . . . it's the job of a grandparent to bore people. 

Hello grandad… 

He’s a tall boy… he’s in 3 month clothes now and nearly outgrowing them !!! He was only 4 weeks on Monday 🤣

Love you Dad. 

Xxxxx

Lauren 

.image0.jpeg.3776fd152c9992b92b73270126bcc598.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 06  2021.

General Apathy
47 minutes ago, Simon Lerenfort said:

A Bonny lad.

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for the comment, methinks he will outgrow me as he grows. Looking forward to a time when I can take him out in the Jeep, somewhere in a box I have a photo of my daughter at three in a baby chair strapped into the Jeep. 

Johan Willaert

Contrôle Technique (MOT) today, all OK for another 5 years...

In typical Normandy Landing weather.... wind&rain...

FA53A0D9-8B93-4D3D-94DB-153048F36BBB.jpeg

5 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Amazing the change in four weeks . . . . . . . it's the job of a grandparent to bore people. 

Hello grandad… 

He’s a tall boy… he’s in 3 month clothes now and nearly outgrowing them !!! He was only 4 weeks on Monday 🤣

Love you Dad. 

Xxxxx

Lauren 

Awwwwwwww... You won't bore me with stuff like this. Not sure if it's my overly vivid imagination or not, but I think I see a little hint of you in him, Ken.  Keep the pix coming. 

Mikie

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hello grandad… 

Love you Dad. 

Xxxxx

Lauren 

Too cute!! Already a lot of mischief can be seen in those eyes! The apple does not fall far from the tree. 😁

...Kat

Still recovering from jet lag and the 3 hour time difference from my family trip to Florida.  I have just a little of militaria to report on.  I'll start off with the only jeep sighting.  Ken and Johan will certainly ID this, but for everyone else, it was tagged in the museum as an M38, a postwar version.   

Mikie886503630_M38Jeep.jpg.ba011d37fc3956424635f5af28b6bf60.jpg

The only thing I saw D-Day related on our Florida trip was this newspaper.  Considering the momentous news, odd that the invasion only took up half the front page.  Lighting in the museum prevented me from taking a better shot.  

Mikie

D-Day News.jpg

9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hello grandad… 

Love you Dad. 

Xxxxx

Lauren 

I can only agree with Simons comment. And at this growing rate you will be in need of a bigger Jeep 😉

emirates-national-auto-museum-abu-dhabi11.jpg.5492248179a51f74d3a90bae06c396d1.jpg

On 7/5/2021 at 9:50 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

Hi Ken, you're welcome.

Your patent looks tearably bog-standard, by the way 😄

1 hour ago, mikie said:

Still recovering from jet lag and the 3 hour time difference from my family trip to Florida.  I have just a little of militaria to report on.  I'll start off with the only jeep sighting.  Ken and Johan will certainly ID this, but for everyone else, it was tagged in the museum as an M38, a postwar version.   

Mikie886503630_M38Jeep.jpg.ba011d37fc3956424635f5af28b6bf60.jpg

That's the second picture of a Jeep with airplanes in the background...............

5 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

The gentleman's face is in keeping with the weather conditions

manayunkman
10 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hello grandad… 

Love you Dad. 

Xxxxx

Lauren 

Looks like a Jeep driver but a handsome one. 

👏 

Rene, is that picture of the little guy in the big jeep a scene from the old TV show Land of the Giants?  One of my childhood favorites! 

Land-of-the-Giants.jpg

Giant-Pencil-and-Scotch-Tape-1.1.png

landofgiants26-640x404.jpg

General Apathy
21 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Hi Johan,

I added a bit more light to your photograph, might make it look a brighter day . . . . . . . . well wetter if not brighter :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_bac8.jpeg.56043dc62df4d9cced1b481dc6a4455d.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 07  2021.

General Apathy
20 hours ago, mikie said:

Awwwwwwww... You won't bore me with stuff like this. Not sure if it's my overly vivid imagination or not, but I think I see a little hint of you in him, Ken.  Keep the pix coming. 

Mikie

17 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Too cute!! Already a lot of mischief can be seen in those eyes! The apple does not fall far from the tree. 😁

...Kat

15 hours ago, manayunkman said:

Looks like a Jeep driver but a handsome one. 

👏

Hi Mikie, Kat & Piet,

thanks for the kind comments, yes I wonder what the future will hold for young William-Henry, very pleased with the one I led. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 07  2021.

General Apathy
16 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, you're welcome.

Your patent looks tearably bog-standard, by the way 😄

Mmmmh Rene,

I guessed someone would tear a strip off that one . . . . . . . . . :huh: