Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert
3 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Nice shot of a Ford with a tombstone light frame . . . . . . you should be able to work out from the hood number its relationship to your own. 

.Flower-Jeep.jpg.8892254bc446363ac295a0a984ebccdc.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 17 2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Yes, that's a nice early script GPW...

Mine is 18th August 1942 with an estimated hood number U.S.A. 20144731... That should be a very close or exact estimate as I have a confirmed hood number only 63 digits above this on a GPW from the same day in the same Ford Dallas TX factory on a frame 63 digits above mine...

General Apathy
13 hours ago, mikie said:

Man o' Man, that would have been amazing to wander around in there.  I'd have to spend a few days in there since I'd probably be in sensory overload for at least a couple. I'm ODing on OD just from the pictures!  Is that your daughter with the boots?  The boots look HUGE!  Thanks to the picture fairies for finding the pictures and for you posting them.  Wonderful! 

Mikie

5 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

I agree with Mikie. I could have looked thru your store for days! 

...Kat

Hi Mikie, Kat and Beast,

thanks for the likes on the store, it was an ever changing stock, thankfully I very much enjoyed the interaction with customers.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Johan Willaert
9 hours ago, General Apathy said:

A couple weeks back I started a thread on the forum ' my one piece of advice to fellow collectors ' and that would be photograph all your collection for the future, or for insurance purpose, or your memories or before it all gets sold . . . . . .

Exactly, been doing that since I started collecting.... every piece is photographed upon arrival in the collection...
Same on the restoration of my vehicles.... As of today I have about 2000 photos of the work I've done on the Jeep in the last two years...

General Apathy

And now what Jeeps were made for . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_a73d.jpeg.9860a1df967d1b55330e051310339e08.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a72e.jpeg.bdff87eb0d065181dfdf286cfd68a78c.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a717.jpeg.4cddd49accc9dab620b09b31902e86d7.jpeg

General Apathy

Sad news this morning . . . . . 

It was a sad report this morning that Helen McCrory ( 1969 - 2021 ) the wife of Band of Brothers actor Damian Lewis had died from cancer aged 52.

.fullsizeoutput_a7b2.jpeg.4f65f75fec6e155f57ec58f70b83f0d1.jpeg

General Apathy

Photo mystery . . . . . . . . 

Some years ago when I was researching WWII photos in the U.S. National Archive I paid for this interesting photo but never used it as there was no description attached to it. It's always intrigued me as to why the paratrooper was singled out from the others, I always wondered if it was anything to do with the style of seat parachute that he was wearing.

If anyone has seen this photo before with a description please let me know . . . . . . . thanks

.fullsizeoutput_a7c2.jpeg.00b0dd7c75d802c4101c27bfcea7678f.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . 

well I opened the wrapping on this package for the first time today, I knew it was a card of insignia but wasn't prepared for the style of clutch-pin that I found, does anyone have any definitive information as to when this clutch-pin came into use / service . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_a7f8.jpeg.10d639b6486b347516b329a760fcbbf2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a7ff.jpeg.c6cab6e9936c9a8ec04fac7bc5875069.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a804.jpeg.1e01170366338448ce1f825b69605368.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a80b.jpeg.5efa09dae878c99fe9607526059271a9.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Johan,

a couple of original Ford steering column take-off parts I kept for patterns . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_a81f.jpeg.cd7beb1072fb5a402bd1c49ca02ebf15.jpeg 

22 hours ago, mikie said:

Man o' Man, that would have been amazing to wander around in there.  I'd have to spend a few days in there since I'd probably be in sensory overload for at least a couple. I'm ODing on OD just from the pictures!  Is that your daughter with the boots?  The boots look HUGE!  Thanks to the picture fairies for finding the pictures and for you posting them.  Wonderful! 

Mikie

I probably would have brought along my sleeping bag and stayed over in order to get a good look at this amazing collection.

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . 

well I opened the wrapping on this package for the first time today, I knew it was a card of insignia but wasn't prepared for the style of clutch-pin that I found, does anyone have any definitive information as to when this clutch-pin came into use / service . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_a7f8.jpeg.10d639b6486b347516b329a760fcbbf2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a7ff.jpeg.c6cab6e9936c9a8ec04fac7bc5875069.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a804.jpeg.1e01170366338448ce1f825b69605368.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a80b.jpeg.5efa09dae878c99fe9607526059271a9.jpeg

Hi Ken, those are Tinnerman Co. clutch fasteners. The discs themselves are made by Tinnerman too. Since these discs were produce between 1943 and 1945 it is safe too assume the clutch fasteners are at  least from that same period (if not earlier)

7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Some years ago when I was researching WWII photos in the U.S. National Archive I paid for this interesting photo but never used it as there was no description attached to it. It's always intrigued me as to why the paratrooper was singled out from the others, I always wondered if it was anything to do with the style of seat parachute that he was wearing.

If anyone has seen this photo before with a description please let me know . . . . . . . thanks

This picture lends itself for a caption of some sorts

Sad news this morning . . . . . 

It was a sad report this morning that Helen McCrory ( 1969 - 2021 ) the wife of Band of Brothers actor Damian Lewis had died from cancer aged 52.

.fullsizeoutput_a7b2.jpeg.4f65f75fec6e155f57ec58f70b83f0d1.jpeg

I saw this mentioned yesterday. Very sad news.

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

a couple of original Ford steering column take-off parts I kept for patterns . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_a81f.jpeg.cd7beb1072fb5a402bd1c49ca02ebf15.jpeg 

Are you sure they are not rubber? Rubber was used until September 1942 when omitted or replaced by felt on the GPW...

Old Crow 1986

Just a guess...

The paratrooper isn't in the photo.  At least not originally.  He's singled out because he was added later - for an unknown reason - and what we're left looking at 80 years later is a pre-Photoshop photo manipulation. 

Here's my reasoning:

1) One of these things is not like the other - The other 3 soldiers are wearing extreme weather uniforms.  From left to right - summer tropic garrison uniform, ski troop uniform, Arctic ground troop uniform...and then our paratrooper wearing standard training (Hollywood) kit that has nothing to do with weather conditions.

2) Behind and to the right of the paratrooper's helmet a straight, very long (longer that 6 feet) item can be seen.  No way this item is para related and it is behind the trooper...not within his grasp.  It could be a post, but that is unlikely given that this inspection is being held on a parade ground.  It looks for all the world like the skis held by the ski trooper to the left.  We'll never know based solely on this image but a long, straight item like that doesn't fit the the image as presented.  

3) The perspective of the paratrooper is not aligned withe other 4 visible figures.  He appears to be standing a step out of line from his comrades, in line with the inspecting general.   Given that the general is two positions away from our paratrooper, it's not likely that he was ordered to take a step forward for inspection - at least not until the general was in position to inspect him.   

4) The thick, white outline around the paratrooper is contoured very neatly around the solider....except for some sloppiness down the right leg to the boot AND behind the trooper's helmet and his left shoulder.  The helmet/shoulder deviations have regular (rounded near the head and angled near the shoulder) edges.  Possibly, a hooded figure wearing a parka. 

All guesswork on my part, but I don't think the paratrooper is "there."

Now "Why" someone would add him....don't know.  Could be a photo technician practicing his manipulation skills in the pre digital age.   Could be an 80 year old G.I. practical joke.

I am open to suggestions and comments. 

pararaftanr2
23 minutes ago, Old Crow 1986 said:

Just a guess...

The paratrooper isn't in the photo.  At least not originally.  He's singled out because he was added later - for an unknown reason - and what we're left looking at 80 years later is a pre-Photoshop photo manipulation. 

Here's my reasoning:

1) One of these things is not like the other - The other 3 soldiers are wearing extreme weather uniforms.  From left to right - summer tropic garrison uniform, ski troop uniform, Arctic ground troop uniform...and then our paratrooper wearing standard training (Hollywood) kit that has nothing to do with weather conditions.

2) Behind and to the right of the paratrooper's helmet a straight, very long (longer that 6 feet) item can be seen.  No way this item is para related and it is behind the trooper...not within his grasp.  It could be a post, but that is unlikely given that this inspection is being held on a parade ground.  It looks for all the world like the skis held by the ski trooper to the left.  We'll never know based solely on this image but a long, straight item like that doesn't fit the the image as presented.  

3) The perspective of the paratrooper is not aligned withe other 4 visible figures.  He appears to be standing a step out of line from his comrades, in line with the inspecting general.   Given that the general is two positions away from our paratrooper, it's not likely that he was ordered to take a step forward for inspection - at least not until the general was in position to inspect him.   

4) The thick, white outline around the paratrooper is contoured very neatly around the solider....except for some sloppiness down the right leg to the boot AND behind the trooper's helmet and his left shoulder.  The helmet/shoulder deviations have regular (rounded near the head and angled near the shoulder) edges.  Possibly, a hooded figure wearing a parka. 

Now "Why" someone would add him....don't know.  Could be a photo technician practicing his manipulation skills in the pre digital age.   Could be an 80 year old G.I. practical joke.

I recall seeing those same troopers in a vintage publication, but photographed from a different angle and in "action" poses. I believe it was a Quartermaster display done for the press to show off the variety of Army uniforms used in different climates and roles. I seem to recall the paratrooper being armed with a Thomson as well?

GeneralA.  For those of us who are new to this tread and curious, and maybe hesitant to ask, could you provide an overview of how you got into collecting, your store, Jeep interest, movie consulting, dating Marilyn Monroe, etc.?  I have been through this thread and can glean bits and pieces, but given that this thread is the most interesting collecting site I’ve ever run across, inquiring minds would like to know.  

3 hours ago, Old Crow 1986 said:

Just a guess...

Here's my reasoning:

Strong observations. So basically you are saving that the paratrooper was dropped

in.....

2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Strong observations. So basically you are saving that the paratrooper was dropped

in.....

I think he is " beaming in". Testing a WWII experimental transporter.

General Apathy
16 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

I probably would have brought along my sleeping bag and stayed over in order to get a good look at this amazing collection.

Hi Rene,

and you would have been welcome, I enjoyed talking with visitors that had an interest in the subject, material and historic relevance of the stocks . . . . . . . . . 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 18 2021.

General Apathy
16 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, those are Tinnerman Co. clutch fasteners. The discs themselves are made by Tinnerman too. Since these discs were produce between 1943 and 1945 it is safe too assume the clutch fasteners are at  least from that same period (if not earlier)

1 minute ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

and you would have been welcome, I enjoyed talking with visitors that had an interest in the subject, material and historic relevance of the stocks . . . . . . . . . 

Hi Rene,

Thanks for coming in on the question I asked, as I said above I enjoy conversation about the material, I was hoping to try and find a Patent date for these clips should you see anything.

General Apathy
15 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Are you sure they are not rubber? Rubber was used until September 1942 when omitted or replaced by felt on the GPW...

Hi Johan,

hahhaaa I only said that they were original examples of the felt patterns not that they were first pattern rubber variety . . . . . . . . If someone rebuilding a Ford wanted the dimensions of the felt ones then I could help them out.  

General Apathy
15 hours ago, Old Crow 1986 said:

Just a guess...

Here's my reasoning:

20 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

Hello Old Crow,

Welcome aboard and thank you for your thoughts on the photo in question, sometimes I like to pull the pin and toss a grenade into a subject to see what it hits, and you have come in with a good analysis of the photo, and I fully agree with your final sentence ' I am open to comments and suggestions '

I have always said that photographs can be used to either prove or dis-prove a theory . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
15 hours ago, pararaftanr2 said:

I recall seeing those same troopers in a vintage publication, but photographed from a different angle and in "action" poses. I believe it was a Quartermaster display done for the press to show off the variety of Army uniforms used in different climates and roles. I seem to recall the paratrooper being armed with a Thomson as well?

Hi Rafter,

now you have recalled seeing this or a similar image before then maybe you can recall where and find it again, I for one would certainly be interested in finding out more about the photo or how or why the paratrooper was ' dropped in '

General Apathy
On 4/17/2021 at 9:36 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Exactly, been doing that since I started collecting.... every piece is photographed upon arrival in the collection...
Same on the restoration of my vehicles.... As of today I have about 2000 photos of the work I've done on the Jeep in the last two years...

Hi Johan,

one of the tougher restorations I did, all the dents and repairs were filled in the old fashioned way with lead and filed smooth not plastic bondo.

Each window has a window box with winding handles to raise and lower the windows. Wooden floor in the rear and material centre section on the roof. Photos are pre digital and copies of old photos . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_a83b.jpeg.5beb223ef8ea2d3a7c395e729dda56cd.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_a832.jpeg.527768934a23cfef088fdc4cc6aa25b8.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a840.jpeg.dfcfeda94e8ad6419f30dbc5b456629a.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a7ce.jpeg.8bf56b538e7468b698adc345195a3414.jpeg

General Apathy
14 hours ago, BryanJ said:

GeneralA.  For those of us who are new to this tread and curious, and maybe hesitant to ask, could you provide an overview of how you got into collecting, your store, Jeep interest, movie consulting, dating Marilyn Monroe, etc.?  I have been through this thread and can glean bits and pieces, but given that this thread is the most interesting collecting site I’ve ever run across, inquiring minds would like to know.  

Hi BryanJ,

haaahaaa,  I'm sure I don't have enough years left in the tank to answer your question . . . . . . . . Thank you for your interest in the thread.

my vehicle interest started with scooters after leaving school, in the mid 60's in the UK the Mod scene started, young guys and girls, fashion, bands, and Lambretta or Vespa scooters.  One of my friends at the time was Ian Hill ( later of Judas Priest fame ) he accompanied me on the scooter and later in my first motor car, that was before the Mod fashion for scooters was replaced by wartime Jeeps, and the Mod band The Small Faces owned a Jeep at that time. So the car went and I bought my first Jeep, I left it in o.d. colours where as other Mods painted them in red, blue or yellow.  I then became interested in off-road trialling the Jeep through timed events in quarries and mud tracks.  Then the uniform collecting became an interest for me and the rest followed on from that

p.s.  Marilyn Monroe wasn't my style, in the 60's it would more likely have been Julie Christie

.fullsizeoutput_a850.jpeg.60d0a00d0d0311a4a555ca32f0278644.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a845.jpeg.e07bb56f43de1c42e98251b2a54503ae.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a85c.jpeg.593e66a3b16ff14a4c6392eab6fe3ef7.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a849.jpeg.7e261bafc0d926e28c2b487bb312d0a2.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a860.jpeg.8441176bd8a46d404b36af40baac7550.jpeg