Norman D. Landing

bilko1

2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Examples of F marks on the inner light units...

217-GPW56685-25Feb21 (13).JPG

217-GPW56685-25Feb21 (14).JPG

224-GPW56685-06Mar21 (13).JPG

This is so interesting seeing all of the "F" markings.  I had no idea about these little details. It makes me want to look closer at everything!

..Kat

Johan Willaert
13 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

This is so interesting seeing all of the "F" markings.  I had no idea about these little details. It makes me want to look closer at everything!

..Kat

Thx!

Johan Willaert
On 4/10/2021 at 10:01 AM, General Apathy said:

It mounts on the cross-member to support the transfer case as can be seen in the images below.

.fullsizeoutput_9f32.jpeg.a7c651627475ce1ba685565f89f30d34.jpeg

In color....

173171652_297121921872651_8280719501593140294_n.jpg

My slatgrill MB had the retro-fitted BODL light, as it had welded-shut holes for the slightly larger 'tombstone' bracket that came with this kit... It has now been re-fitted and the locations of the holes are now on a drawing on Jeepdraw, as a guide for others.

Johan Willaert
31 minutes ago, earlymb said:

My slatgrill MB had the retro-fitted BODL light, as it had welded-shut holes for the slightly larger 'tombstone' bracket that came with this kit... It has now been re-fitted and the locations of the holes are now on a drawing on Jeepdraw, as a guide for others.

Yes, David, I saw that when I ordered the drawings from Jeepdraw....
Haven't decided yet to mount the Tombstone and BODL on the fender... the holes aren't there, but I do like the look of the tombstone...

Below a clear illustration of the added BODL unit on an August 1942 Ford GPW, only ±5000 Jeeps younger than mine....

158490708_4203426503000869_7186762562595161893_n.jpg

General Apathy
19 hours ago, mikie said:

Beautiful.  I've said it many times...Mother Nature is far and away the greatest artist ever.  Her masterpieces are all around us if only we stopped to look for them. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

I shared those images of the patterns of frost on my car with other friends, one came back with ' Wow you must get up early, the frost has always gone by the time I get up '.

I replied with ' time once it's gone can never be bought, rented, hired, or recovered, I hate sleeping I can't re-live that time ' .

seconds, hours, days, years never return . . . . . . . . . . . use them wisely.

.IMG_6415.JPG.427b21019d4b68c7bab2fc765c5ffe82.JPG

.IMG_6419.JPG.bd168e4f2bf0d1b98050046fa0af5ade.JPG

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 13 2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
18 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

..Kat

Hi Kat,

thank you, yes Johan and myself obviously look for Ford parts owning Ford Jeeps. However we are doing a dis-service to Willys Jeep owners especially the early Willys referred to in collecting circles as ' Slat Grille ' models, their searches are just as energetic as ours. While we search for Ford or ' F ' marked parts Willys parts are generally marked with the prefix  ' A ',  so a Willys engine block is WO-A6793, a rear spring assembly WO-A15728, etc, etc

Shown below are Ford & Willys bolts. ( a slat grille friend in London wants all the take out Willys bolts I kept from other Jeeps )

Perhaps forum member ' earlyMB ' can show us some parts with the details moulded into the part when casting. 

A lot of the French Hotchkiss Jeep parts are marked with ' WOF ' which stands for Willys Overland France.  Once at a show I overheard a Jeep spares dealer being questioned by a novice about why some parts were marked ' WOF ', the dealer quick as a flash came out with it stands  for ' Willys or Ford ' . . . . . . . . . . . .:lol: :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_a57f.jpeg.26c6c17f12c810377e7546d5c0fa411c.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 14 2021.

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy
21 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Ha, I have these which came off the GPW... now refurbished and ready to put back...

222-GPW56685-03Mar21 (5).JPG

Hi Johan,  

pleased that you had ' F ' stamped head-lamps, thumbs up on that one.

Here's my pair of original NOS unused ones. It's interesting to note that although the headlights are sealed beam lenses there is actually a globe glass bulb contained in the sealed beam, later examples just had filaments within the sealed beam and not a bulb. 

.fullsizeoutput_a582.jpeg.6e4935814beb055ce5a75ba312663bbd.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a584.jpeg.de939479ebea002047890ea865f6bbee.jpeg

12 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

thank you, yes Johan and myself obviously look for Ford parts owning Ford Jeeps. However we are doing a dis-service to Willys Jeep owners especially the early Willys referred to in collecting circles as ' Slat Grille ' models, their searches are just as energetic as ours. While we search for Ford or ' F ' marked parts Willys parts are generally marked with the prefix  ' A ',  so a Willys engine block is WO-A6793, a rear spring assembly WO-A15728, etc, etc

Shown below are Ford & Willys bolts. ( a slat grille friend in London wants all the take out Willys bolts I kept from other Jeeps )

Perhaps forum member ' earlyMB ' can show us some parts with the details moulded into the part when casting. 

A lot of the French Hotchkiss Jeep parts are marked with ' WOF ' which stands for Willys Overland France.  Once at a show I overheard a Jeep spares dealer being questioned by a novice about why some parts were marked ' WOF ', the dealer quick as a flash came out with it stands  for ' Willys or Ford ' . . . . . . . . . . . .:lol: :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_a57f.jpeg.26c6c17f12c810377e7546d5c0fa411c.jpeg

The 'TR20' marked bolt is early MB, while the A and AA bolts are also found on standard MB's. The main differences between early- and standard MB parts are not so much in markings but in differences in model or construction of parts. Almost every part is different from a standard MB, and because the design was still being fine-tuned at this stage what is correct for my jeep is not necessarily correct for one made a few days later...

But I do have a few 'F'-marks in the spares box too, this one is the biggest: 😆

1514696448_2018-05-0210_22_30.jpg.87ed366281bc4f008dea8da9205b8e21.jpg

It's great and funny at the same time to see the obsession with F marked Jeep parts around here. Its's something I can relate to because for a big part of my life (actually it's still ongoing) certain F marked items were an obsession for me too although in a completely different field. 

Here's a hint.

SAM_1448.JPG.7b79fa74912eb91b4a8d662f2d174a4f.JPG

General Apathy
15 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

It's great and funny at the same time to see the obsession with F marked Jeep parts around here. Its's something I can relate to because for a big part of my life (actually it's still ongoing) certain F marked items were an obsession for me too although in a completely different field. 

Here's a hint.

SAM_1448.JPG.7b79fa74912eb91b4a8d662f2d174a4f.JPG

Hi Rene,

Hahhhaaaa you got me beat, all I can come up with is ' F ' for Flummoxed which I think I am . . . . . . . . . . . . .:lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 15 2021.

Hi Ken, here's another clue...

0d55d169e1165a2087f1f2bd47201c1a.png.36bf4f0b450ebc401b73ff40acc032ad.png

It's a Fender Stratocaster.....designed by Leo Fender. First available in 1954 and still going strong. Arguably the most famous guitar in pop history. Throughout is history certain parts were marked with an F also. Design wise it's timeless and in my opinion on par with the Coca Cola bottle. 

Here's one I used to own.

821676177_SAM_3254(002).jpg.5de74ccef72cce7a77024e1baffa63ee.jpg

manayunkman

I’m familiar with the letter F.

The used to hand them out at school.

I once had an Olympia white Fender the same type used by Hendrix.

General Apathy
17 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

It's a Fender Stratocaster.....designed by Leo Fender. First available in 1954 and still going strong. Arguably the most famous guitar in pop history. Throughout is history certain parts were marked with an F also. Design wise it's timeless and in my opinion on par with the Coca Cola bottle. 

Hi Rene,

back in the day Jimmy Page offered to tutor my friend Glenn Wilson ( Bob Plants brother-in-law ) to learn guitar as Glenn had a yen to play guitar, however Glenn as a novice found it just too embarrassing to have the worlds best guitarist listening to him on a one to one basis.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 16 2021.

General Apathy
On 4/14/2021 at 9:43 AM, Johan Willaert said:

In color....

173171652_297121921872651_8280719501593140294_n.jpg

Hi Johan,

Thanks for showing the rubber mount in place for the transfer box, I see you have a two piece skid-plate . . . . . . .

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,

back in the day Jimmy Page offered to tutor my friend Glenn Wilson ( Bob Plants brother-in-law ) to learn guitar as Glenn had a yen to play guitar, however Glenn as a novice found it just too embarrassing to have the worlds best guitarist listening to him on a one to one basis.

That could have been a chance to be the best worst guitarist in history. 

Mikie

On 4/15/2021 at 7:39 AM, Dogsbody said:

Not having the slightest musical talent (except maybe my golden voice), I am in awe of anyone who can pick up one of these things and make sweet music come out of it.  Many moons ago (no wait, Moon was a drummer), I was given an acoustic guitar. Bought some books and watched some videos on how to read music and play the thing but I never could figure it out.  Discouraged, the thing sat in the garage for years.  I finally sold it with some regret, but glad it was in the hands of someone who could do something with it.  Lo and behold, a few months later I found a book about reading music that made perfect sense to me.  Doh! 

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Mikie,

several posts back you asked if I had any photos of the store, these three just came out of a box I was looking through today.  

The first shows a few of the original new old stock HBT shirts grouped in sizes, they had never been unfolded since manufacture, varying shades of o.d. various manufacturers all flat pocket 1943 versions.  Everything in view original U.S. WWII  pieces except for the medic helmet and the boots from Saving Private Ryan filming, I only had a couple of the medic helmets but a couple of hundred of the boots and the M-41 style field jackets, trousers etc..

.fullsizeoutput_a74e.jpeg.4273304ec3d4927b16ef44da28461c99.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a75a.jpeg.122cd4c1e4b545967dce557d56544ff4.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a76b.jpeg.839bb9a2d1edac12eec297220a7dc0d6.jpeg

18 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

several posts back you asked if I had any photos of the store, these three just came out of a box I was looking through today.  

The first shows a few of the original new old stock HBT shirts grouped in sizes, they had never been unfolded since manufacture, varying shades of o.d. various manufacturers all flat pocket 1943 versions.  Everything in view original U.S. WWII  pieces except for the medic helmet and the boots from Saving Private Ryan filming, I only had a couple of the medic helmets but a couple of hundred of the boots and the M-41 style field jackets, trousers etc..

.fullsizeoutput_a74e.jpeg.4273304ec3d4927b16ef44da28461c99.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a75a.jpeg.122cd4c1e4b545967dce557d56544ff4.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a76b.jpeg.839bb9a2d1edac12eec297220a7dc0d6.jpeg

Man o' Man, that would have been amazing to wander around in there.  I'd have to spend a few days in there since I'd probably be in sensory overload for at least a couple. I'm ODing on OD just from the pictures!  Is that your daughter with the boots?  The boots look HUGE!  Thanks to the picture fairies for finding the pictures and for you posting them.  Wonderful! 

Mikie

Johan Willaert
7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

I see you have a two piece skid-plate . . . . . . .

yes, I have a two piece Willys style skid plate opposed to the Ford one piece version on my GPW.

The reason for this is that I have an early 1942 gearbox which has both drain and filler plug on the right (passenger) side. It is easier to just take off the forward part of the skid plate to check the level or drain the oil from the gearbox. With a one piece plate I would have to remove the entire plate every time I want to check the oil...

General Apathy
3 hours ago, mikie said:

Man o' Man, that would have been amazing to wander around in there.  I'd have to spend a few days in there since I'd probably be in sensory overload for at least a couple. I'm ODing on OD just from the pictures!  Is that your daughter with the boots?  The boots look HUGE!  Thanks to the picture fairies for finding the pictures and for you posting them.  Wonderful! 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

Yes that was my daughter I think she would have been around nine or ten at the time of filming. Sadly at the time of running the store I took very few photographs. A couple weeks back I started a thread on the forum ' my one piece of advice to fellow collectors ' and that would be photograph all your collection for the future, or for insurance purpose, or your memories or before it all gets sold . . . . . . 

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/354988-my-one-piece-of-advice-to-fellow-collectors/

First photo,  shows the boots used in the sea from Saving Private Ryan, I sold these in three grades, sea-used, land-used, and unused-boxed.

Second photo,  unused boots from Band of Brothers. 

Third photo, one of the store cabinets

.fullsizeoutput_a78b.jpeg.1c3c8ac353ae9937f60490fa4438547e.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a787.jpeg.33c6f5b52b9ef857cb7d75dfe9d3ea88.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a78f.jpeg.6c00fc6d41c2a27ba5e49e9a943993d2.jpeg

General Apathy
2 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

yes, I have a two piece Willys style skid plate opposed to the Ford one piece version on my GPW.

The reason for this is that I have an early 1942 gearbox which has both drain and filler plug on the right (passenger) side. It is easier to just take off the forward part of the skid plate to check the level or drain the oil from the gearbox. With a one piece plate I would have to remove the entire plate every time I want to check the oil...

Hi Johan,

a very good logical decision, I kept a one-piece on mine but I did hang onto a two-piece taken from another Jeep I had.

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie,

Yes that was my daughter I think she would have been around nine or ten at the time of filming. Sadly at the time of running the store I took very few photographs. A couple weeks back I started a thread on the forum ' my one piece of advice to fellow collectors ' and that would be photograph all your collection for the future, or for insurance purpose, or your memories or before it all gets sold . . . . . . 

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/354988-my-one-piece-of-advice-to-fellow-collectors/

First photo,  shows the boots used in the sea from Saving Private Ryan, I sold these in three grades, sea-used, land-used, and unused-boxed.

Second photo,  unused boots from Band of Brothers. 

Third photo, one of the store cabinets

.fullsizeoutput_a78b.jpeg.1c3c8ac353ae9937f60490fa4438547e.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a787.jpeg.33c6f5b52b9ef857cb7d75dfe9d3ea88.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_a78f.jpeg.6c00fc6d41c2a27ba5e49e9a943993d2.jpeg

I agree with Mikie. I could have looked thru your store for days! 

...Kat

General Apathy
On 4/13/2021 at 1:14 PM, Johan Willaert said:

Continuing with sorting Jeep parts, here's another unissued NOS Ford marked light. It is the Black Out Drive Light unit generally mounted on the left fender of the Jeep.
It was introduced in late 1942 and earlier made Jeeps such as mine would not have had one from the factory, but many were retrofitted in the unit's motorpool... Most likely the mechanics mounting the light would not have bothered to check and match the make of the vehicle and light and many other brands exist...

243-GPW56685-13Apr21 (4).JPG

Hi Johan,

Nice shot of a Ford with a tombstone light frame . . . . . . you should be able to work out from the hood number its relationship to your own. 

.Flower-Jeep.jpg.8892254bc446363ac295a0a984ebccdc.jpg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 17 2021.