bilko1

General Apathy
38 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

You can never have enough books....

Can you find yours in there???

158819774_2898006610444040_4421382717870901296_o.jpg

158894040_2898006517110716_4005447668435262596_o.jpg

Of course not, it's on your bedside table . . . . . . . . . . . 🛏️

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 15  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

From the Shoebox of vehicle spares . . . . . . . . . . 

A late 1930's solid brass vehicle plaque, weighs around two pounds, similar one can be seen on the turret in the attached photo. 

.fullsizeoutput_9977.jpeg.bc4f055e33ef74ce2bec0ff9acb40bea.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_996e.jpeg.6c32745a208f3fa00bfdd81451170cad.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

Johan Willaert
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

.Of course not, it's on your bedside table . . . . . . . . . . . 🛏️

Kristien would kill me.... ;-)

On 3/13/2021 at 5:28 AM, General Apathy said:

Normandy beach find . . . . 

a local friend and his wife were walking along the sands to be isolated from other people during this Covid19 period, he picked up a brass tube and emailed me the photo asking if I knew what it was.  I emailed him what I thought would be the dimensions of the tube and a shot of what I thought it was, and he was happy knowing that it was part of a US Army Tyre / Tire gauge . 

.fullsizeoutput_982b.jpeg.f6f8fdfde33568d2b2d782e44d36d19d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_982d.jpeg.ee2c7a7e2dd69322990d58260a89c315.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 11  2021.

Ken,

I believe only you could look at a picture of a small brass tube and know it was a WWII tire gauge.  😁

...Kat

On 3/15/2021 at 9:11 AM, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox of vehicle spares . . . . . . . . . . 

A late 1930's solid brass vehicle plaque, weighs around two pounds, similar one can be seen on the turret in the attached photo. 

.fullsizeoutput_9977.jpeg.bc4f055e33ef74ce2bec0ff9acb40bea.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_996e.jpeg.6c32745a208f3fa00bfdd81451170cad.jpeg

Ken,

This is very cool! Were these used on all types of vehicles?

...Kat

2 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I believe only you could look at a picture of a small brass tube and know it was a WWII tire gauge.  😁

...Kat

Really Kat?  Doesn't just everyone know what that thing is?  I mean, it's soooooo obvious!  ☺️

Mikie

General Apathy
15 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

...Kat

Hi Kat,

it's a bit like the questions on a television quiz show, if you know the answers then the questions are easy !!, The more items a person has handled or seen helps answer a query such as the one about the brass tube . . . . . . and the tire gauge was a standard part of a GMC truck the head was a two way system so it was possible to reach into the dual wheels of a GMC.  . . . . . 

fullsizeoutput_982d.jpeg.0e8c91925204a064eb0bff0c5b2dcc79.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 17  2021.

General Apathy
15 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

This is very cool! Were these used on all types of vehicles?

...Kat

Hi Kat,

Thanks I am trying to find a shot of a vehicle with the crossed rifle plaque I have, I have seen some in the past on pre-war Dodges and GMC's but never captured an image of one, the crossed sabre plaque is easier to see as ' Tanks ' are more dynamic, this is a great 1940's shot of a crossed sabre plaque.

The plaques were replaced and saving strategic materials by simply painting the Crossed Sabres or Crossed Rifles onto vehicles.

20210316_174111.jpg.180cf85fc98472dd200235fbd57357e0.jpg.

General Apathy
13 hours ago, mikie said:

Really Kat?  Doesn't just everyone know what that thing is?  I mean, it's soooooo obvious!  ☺️

Mikie

Hi Kat & Mikie,

Well heres one that I didn't know what it was until I broke it apart with a small hammer, turns out that it was sand formed around a German egg grenade, similar to the intact one shown below . . . . . . . Fortunately all the explosive had dissolved away through immersion in salt water. 

.fullsizeoutput_99d7.jpeg.8116d213704b388991f1c10ac839acf0.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_99d2.jpeg.6365e04e1c68ce7cf7202574fa8cd5a7.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_99cb.jpeg.2a002cce05f824a41c94d05d88644899.jpeg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Simon Lerenfort said:

Larger relic still in daily use today.

Remnant of Mulberry Harbour

Hi Simon,

many thanks for adding the link, would it be possible to actually add the photograph here as the images disappear on so many forum threads if or when the posted external link gets deleted. . . . . . . . . .   thanks

6 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,

Thanks I am trying to find a shot of a vehicle with the crossed rifle plaque I have, I have seen some in the past on pre-war Dodges and GMC's but never captured an image of one, the crossed sabre plaque is easier to see as ' Tanks ' are more dynamic, this is a great 1940's shot of a crossed sabre plaque.

The plaques were replaced and saving strategic materials by simply painting the Crossed Sabres or Crossed Rifles onto vehicles.

20210316_174111.jpg.180cf85fc98472dd200235fbd57357e0.jpg.

That article in Life magazine shows an interesting way of communication between driver and commander in the early days. Maybe that plaque should have been showing crossed boots

😄. So from now on whenever I get a kick in the back, I'm going straight ahead..................

247080148_SAM_1244(2).JPG.929cedc9ea3e1318d7d18947d8d3aa45.JPG

Due to some (Covid unrelated) circumstances I've been away for a little while but now, after some cathing, up it's time to get posting again. Just over two weeks ago it was the 76th anniversary of the liberation of my hometown Venlo. Normally I would be doing a Then and Now shot or something but I this time it will be a little different (but not by much, though). Shown is a photo with U.S. vehicles surrounded by civilians. So much so that you barely can make out what vehicles are there. Apart from being liberated what would attract so much civilians..... well, the second photo has the answer.....  

SAM_1241.JPG.b34f473cc1941f9da32a7363e769f219.JPGSAM_1204.JPG.6598935e7f7e8aca5b04f1df0efa1a44.JPG

I always wonder what it must have been like ........almost 5 years of Nazi suppression, hardship,  food shortages, bomdardments and shell fire and then suddenly liberation and liberators handing out food and candy, some things never seen and tasted before...

Rene

On 3/15/2021 at 12:11 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  thanks for letting me know this, the seller actually made more money on selling his copy than I did after publishing it. 

Several years ago I used to see it being sold regularly around $300 dollars,  I did however see one bookseller that sold signed first editions list a copy at $1,800, a trifle over optimistic methinks . . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_995d.jpeg.f81a7cc0744569647a6a7d256d50770a.jpeg

Well.........I've had this one for over 28 years and I recently learned they are going for big bucks, certainly twice its initial asking price (mostly because a certain John Mayer has been seen using them too but hey I'm not complaining). And I've still got the box!

SAM_1220.JPG.2f3b5b2e48a900ccbb24e89fae0710ce.JPG

1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

Due to some (Covid unrelated) circumstances I've been away for a little while but now, after some cathing, up it's time to get posting again. Just over two weeks ago it was the 76th anniversary of the liberation of my hometown Venlo. Normally I would be doing a Then and Now shot or something but I this time it will be a little different (but not by much, though). Shown is a photo with U.S. vehicles surrounded by civilians. So much so that you barely can make out what vehicles are there. Apart from being liberated what would attract so much civilians..... well, the second photo has the answer.....  

SAM_1241.JPG.b34f473cc1941f9da32a7363e769f219.JPGSAM_1204.JPG.6598935e7f7e8aca5b04f1df0efa1a44.JPG

I always wonder what it must have been like ........almost 5 years of Nazi suppression, hardship,  food shortages, bomdardments and shell fire and then suddenly liberation and liberators handing out food and candy, some things never seen and tasted before...

Rene

Good post, Rene. Welcome back!  I don't know about the civilian side, but my wonderful Uncle Phil was in the liberation of the Philippines.   He said it was heartbreaking to see all the starving people, especially the kids.  He and the other GIs didn't think twice about handing out all the food etc they had on them and could grab.  He said he'd never forget the look of wonder on the faces of the kids when handed a treat and had no idea what it was.  So sad to think about so many innocent people from Venlo to Manila and back again suffering so much.    

Mikie

1 hour ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

I

Rene,

Great pictures. It is amazing that this like packs of gum have survived all these years.

Glad to see you are back posting on the forum. I hope all is well with you.

...Kat

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat & Mikie,

Well heres one that I didn't know what it was until I broke it apart with a small hammer, turns out that it was sand formed around a German egg grenade, similar to the intact one shown below . . . . . . . Fortunately all the explosive had dissolved away through immersion in salt water. 

.fullsizeoutput_99d7.jpeg.8116d213704b388991f1c10ac839acf0.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_99d2.jpeg.6365e04e1c68ce7cf7202574fa8cd5a7.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_99cb.jpeg.2a002cce05f824a41c94d05d88644899.jpeg

I bet that was an egg-citing project beating that egg.

General Apathy
6 hours ago, Simon Lerenfort said:

Of course, hopefully attached now.

Pont-de-Bordeaux-Berjou Mulberry Remnant 2020.jpg

Thanks Simon,

Hi Simon,  thanks for posting the image on the thread, it will be seen as long as the thread is running.  Sadly there are numerous threads on the forum and the photos are no-longer available as they were hosted elsewhere. 

Attached is a photograph of a Mulberry span that for sixty years stood over a river near the town of Vire, the local council thought it was time to replace it and so it was donated to a Normandy Bailey Bridge group.  I joined the group and along with others we dismantled the span ready for sandblasting and transport back to the UK where it now resides at the Duxford air museum.

.fullsizeoutput_99ee.jpeg.49ddc907c8f12d14ffe69ca419b767c8.jpeg

General Apathy
5 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Rene

Hi Rene,

Welcome back we have missed your posts, pleased your home again and posting.  The image you have shown the two groups on the right are surrounding six wheel GMC trucks, and in the distance on the left I would say thats an M-10 tank-destroyer. 

Thanks for sharing a selection of your candy / cigarette collection with us.

General Apathy
5 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Well.........I've had this one for over 28 years and I recently learned they are going for big bucks, certainly twice its initial asking price (mostly because a certain John Mayer has been seen using them too but hey I'm not complaining). And I've still got the box!

SAM_1220.JPG.2f3b5b2e48a900ccbb24e89fae0710ce.JPG

Hi Rene,

well I for one am certainly unaware how a Tube Screamer is used, don't think that were around in the days of Zeppelin . . . . . . just Page using a violin bow on his guitar . . . . . . . . . oh and he also played a Theremin on stage.

.fullsizeoutput_99fc.jpeg.4fd0992c35915f54dcd598cfa370f8af.jpeg

General Apathy
3 hours ago, doyler said:

I bet that was an egg-citing project beating that egg.

Hi Ron,

could have turned out nasty without knowing it, I could have been an omelette all over the garden if it hadn't have deteriorated with age.

General Apathy

From the Shoebox vehicle collection . . . . . . . 

back in the 70's and 80's very often when we found old abandoned Jeeps on farms it was possible to find some of the old road-tax discs in the dash, here are three from a Willys registration FF6493.  Just checked the UK website, first registered ex-army 1947, last road-taxed 1984, last log-book ( title ) change was 7th July 2005. 

.fullsizeoutput_99f8.jpeg.bcf2c01a813cf91cde9598143b287faa.jpeg