Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . .

Forum member ' Garandy ' started a thread enquiring if a pocket compass was part of a bail-out kit, I just added the three following shots to his thread showing the compass fits into a specific cut-out in the felt padding below the blade of the folding machete. ( lower right corner )

.fullsizeoutput_980f.jpeg.fd18179f7b4337b6963e3218d496ad24.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9812.jpeg.ff59a9f005e9c1a88f65c2531e6a9685.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9815.jpeg.f77c2ce9b3aa8086353b74df467e091d.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 13  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

16 hours ago, mikie said:

Awesome! Thank you sir!  

Mikie

Another then & now picture from Utah Beach that shows the causeway to the exit " Madeleine" of the beach

Pictures from the net as  for the first pic

utah-unload-then-now.jpg

General Apathy
13 minutes ago, teufelhund said:

Another then & now picture from Utah Beach that shows the causeway to the exit " Madeleine" of the beach

Pictures from the net as  for the first pic

utah-unload-then-now.jpg

Hi Francis.

thanks this shows where the French forces came ashore, the monument and flags can be seen in the sand-dunes in the 2014 image. Displayed on the road-side of the monument are a Sherman, M-8 Armored Car and Half-Track.  

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Jeep work yesterday . . . . . . . . 

Friday morning three of us helped Jay remove the body-tub from his Jeep, surprisingly the body was a little better than we had thought,  but the chassis was found to be worse once the dog saw the rabbit  . . . . . . . we found more rust damage than had been expected.  What was also more easily seen was the ' repair ' work that had been done to the brake-pipes, a previous owner had repaired the brake pipes rather than replace them.  

My general feeling from the extra gusset pieces that had been added to the rear chassis and the fact the rear chassis was rustier than the front was that it had been used for reversing a boat trailer into the sea . . . . . . . .

All the necessary repair and replacements will be made to make it a road legal vehicle, but not a display winner, the repair work will save it as another Jeep on the road and a good basis for further restoration sometime in the future.

back in the 1970's myself and another Jeeping friend bought a Jeep for £1 that had been used as a beach launcher for a boat trailer, we saved as much as we could but it was impossible to save as a complete Jeep.    

.fullsizeoutput_9832.jpeg.08533890f084bab143a54b0dcdfab7f8.jpeg 

.fullsizeoutput_982e.jpeg.981fc64977e5f13c84db908798e1ecb7.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_97f9.jpeg.09a6f4021c1571ed9888954018340cd8.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_97f7.jpeg.6e9f0974ccb4550fde082ced8430f572.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy beach find . . . . 

a local friend and his wife were walking along the sands to be isolated from other people during this Covid19 period, he picked up a brass tube and emailed me the photo asking if I knew what it was.  I emailed him what I thought would be the dimensions of the tube and a shot of what I thought it was, and he was happy knowing that it was part of a US Army Tyre / Tire gauge . 

.fullsizeoutput_982b.jpeg.f6f8fdfde33568d2b2d782e44d36d19d.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_982d.jpeg.ee2c7a7e2dd69322990d58260a89c315.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 11  2021.

General Apathy

The Norman D. Landing Thread . . . . . . . . . 2007 - 2021

fullsizeoutput_9848.jpeg.0cca9c0ad059e6c9d96ad6a4209fc093.jpeg

The local Sapeur Pompiers of the village in Britanny where we used to spend out family summer vacations used an M201 as a boat puller, I remember the underside was thickly tarred but I'm sure it has dissolved by now if it wasn't rescued years ago. There were a few more M201's used for that purpose in the area, and one even had a complete plastic body. This was the mid-'90s.

Here is a funny event that happent in Port en Bessin on June 7th 2016.

We were sitting at a terrace restaurant  when, at the next table we hear a cry shouted by a female US ARMY NCO.

It apperars that she was a photograph reporter for the US Army magazine and in charge to follow  ceremonies 

When she removed the SD memory disc from her camera, it felled on the ground and disaperared down  between two planks of terrace.

The SD memory disc contained all the photos report of the ceremonies of the preceding day at Colleville cemetery, therefore she was comperely desesparate.

We therefore tried to recover the disc by removing the planks with a swiss pocket knife and finaly make her day.

P1050958.JPG

P1050961.JPG

P1050962.JPG

P1050959.JPG

12 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Wow! Congrats and thanks  to Ken and all of you wonderful folks who throw stuff in here.  And same to those who just come in and look around, even  the ones who take a peek and run away screaming. 

Mikie

10 hours ago, teufelhund said:

We were sitting at a terrace restaurant  when, at the next table we hear a cry shouted by a female US ARMY NCO.

It apperars that she was a photograph reporter for the US Army magazine and in charge to follow  ceremonies 

When she removed the SD memory disc from her camera, it felled on the ground and disaperared down  between two planks of terrace.

The SD memory disc contained all the photos report of the ceremonies of the preceding day at Colleville cemetery, therefore she was comperely desesparate.

We therefore tried to recover the disc by removing the planks with a swiss pocket knife and finaly make her day.

P1050958.JPG

P1050961.JPG

P1050962.JPG

P1050959.JPG

That is such a "Mikie" thing to happen. Nice of you to help and glad there was a happy ending.

You can vieuw her  "Saved Pictures" on the US Army Website...

www.dvidshub.net

type:   #dday72 in the search block

Sgt 1st Class Crista Mary Mack photographer.

General Apathy
On 3/13/2021 at 11:45 AM, earlymb said:

The local Sapeur Pompiers of the village in Britanny where we used to spend out family summer vacations used an M201 as a boat puller, I remember the underside was thickly tarred but I'm sure it has dissolved by now if it wasn't rescued years ago. There were a few more M201's used for that purpose in the area, and one even had a complete plastic body. This was the mid-'90s.

Hi David,

I remember well that almost every town had a red painted M201 in the fire-station even miles away from the sea . . . . 

Forum member Robert sent me a photograph last week of a CJ2 for sale in a fire department sale . . . . covered in pumps, hoses, and ladders sadly didn't keep the image  . . . . . . .  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 14  2021.

General Apathy
On 3/13/2021 at 1:35 PM, teufelhund said:

P1050958.JPG

P1050961.JPG

P1050962.JPG

P1050959.JPG

Hi Francis,

pleased to see that you did the Boy Scout thing and helped a lady in distress . . . . . . . . . 

On 3/13/2021 at 4:42 AM, General Apathy said:

Congrats on the Stats Ken.. Cheers to another million plus views.  Also thanks for all the hard work and time you commit to the topic and forum.

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . .

Hi Johan,  

I was sorting through several non-military / non-Jeep boxes today and out popped this little original NOS Ford GPW beauty, an unissued Ford marked radiator cap, no need to open it as the one on the Jeep is still operating efficiently, but a great find, wish it had been a crate of them . . . . . . . . . :D

.FullSizeRender.jpg.108e9471b49bff369033b0d0213a56f2.jpg

General Apathy
19 hours ago, mikie said:

Wow! Congrats and thanks  to Ken and all of you wonderful folks who throw stuff in here.  And same to those who just come in and look around, even  the ones who take a peek and run away screaming. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

thank you for the comment and thank you for being one of the most regular contributors around here . . . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy
31 minutes ago, doyler said:

Congrats on the Stats Ken.. Cheers to another million plus views.  Also thanks for all the hard work and time you commit to the topic and forum.

Hi Ron, 

Thanks for the comment and pleased to have you reading and posting here and also the many other threads you comment on or start . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . . 

Re-found this today mixed in amongst a bunch of other wartime maps, an end of war summary of the German bunkers that were built around the coast of Normandy, some are well visited sites a few are well off the average tourist track, I think I have covered most of them over the years, but it's reminded me of others I need to visit soon as I can.

.fullsizeoutput_98b4.jpeg.fda8fbc085dc24cc0559f4484d3956dd.jpeg

General Apathy
14 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi David,

I remember well that almost every town had a red painted M201 in the fire-station even miles away from the sea . . . . 

Forum member Robert sent me a photograph last week of a CJ2 for sale in a fire department sale . . . . covered in pumps, hoses, and ladders sadly didn't keep the image  . . . . . . .  

Robert read the post above and re-sent me a shot of the Fire Department Jeep thats up for auction, it's asking for bids in writing over $10,000 . . . . . . . . . . basically a post-war civilian model with a lot of extra's on it . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_9906.jpeg.f925e87201a3912ba1d55a944a64cb17.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox of Jeep spares . . . . . . . . . 

photograph of my stand-by head gasket cutter for Ford & Willys Jeeps used in an emergency if unable to get any genuine head gaskets. Fortunately due to the amount of surplus Jeeps used by farmers I always managed to get post war manufactured civilian copper head gaskets ( still have two in stock ), much better than the war issue asbestos ones. 

#1 The cutter,  #2 a wartime issue asbestos gasket, #3 a Ford GPW valve gasket kit.

.fullsizeoutput_990b.jpeg.76bdc89195a347b5a0a53f580b462661.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9910.jpeg.9b7d8bca7ae699cd3c44bf073b27aa77.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9913.jpeg.6deed24b9110261800d7b7aca0f832ae.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 15  2021.

Johan Willaert
18 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

I always managed to get post war manufactured civilian copper head gaskets ( still have two in stock ), much better than the war issue asbestos ones. 

Agree, I always try to use those too...

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

BTW Ken, copy 788 out of 4500, signed by you, of Doughboy to GI just sold on a Facebook page for 100 USdollars...

161414284_10222565860006728_7966398669073469836_o.jpg

Hi Johan,  thanks for letting me know this, the seller actually made more money on selling his copy than I did after publishing it. 

Several years ago I used to see it being sold regularly around $300 dollars,  I did however see one bookseller that sold signed first editions list a copy at $1,800, a trifle over optimistic methinks . . . . . . . . . . . 

.fullsizeoutput_995d.jpeg.f81a7cc0744569647a6a7d256d50770a.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 15  2021.