Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
8 hours ago, teufelhund said:

My friend Patrick H. died in 1984 when he was trying to separate the two flasques of a so called Jeep " combat wheel" he previously discovered on a garbage dump in the S of France.

He firstly tried to remove the rotten tyres by cutting same with a disc on a corner grindle but this smelled like hell.

He then tried to inflate the tyre with an air compressor in order to separate the flasks after having removed the 5 bolts.

What must happen... finaly happened and a piece of the central ring smashed him when the entire wheel exploded.

He was a good friend of mine.

Hi Teufelhund,

I recall this happening and it spread around the vehicle collecting community as a salutary warning to all of us of what not to do.

I am sorry for the loss of your friend, but thank you for sharing your thoughts with us to highlight the dangers for anyone reading it.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 08  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

Here's one from back Then . . . . . . . . . 

A rolled Ford GPW . . . . . . further details and injuries are unknown. 

.fullsizeoutput_96a9.jpeg.99f75dc26634b7f730c295ef696492f0.jpeg 

Here's Bob Plants Austin champ that I rolled racing back in the rain to a party at his farm, fortunately my cousin fell out without injury on the first roll as there were no seatbelts, I clung on to the steering wheel and survived two and a half rolls and ended up uninjured still in the drivers foot-well and the four wheels in the air . . . . .  much more to the story but enough for now.  ^_^

.fullsizeoutput_96ad.jpeg.b41791818cf11b82008d9f785c066cd0.jpeg 

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

manayunkman

I’ve been in some horrible accidents and seen some horrible accidents but that one is lucky as hades.

Was on the scene when an MG convertible flipped with 2 passengers.

They didn’t do well at all since it was pre seat belt.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:40 AM, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,

Back in June 2019 I recall you seeing the results of Douglas's first attempt at a Jeep rebuild, Douglas is a Storybook artist for films, so he went on a month long welding course in order to do all his slat-grille Jeep rebuild himself.  Here are a few photos of his rebuild and the finished result you saw.

The Jeep originated in the US it was a heavily mangled ' Bubba ' adapted Jeep with huge tyres ( tires ), steel girder bumpers front and rear, cutouts for winch motor and cables etc, etc.  He managed to get most of the original bits together for the rebuild including five original early solid wheel rims ( Non-Combat style ), the pancake air filter, correct radiator, correct dash gauges etc etc.  He took a lead from my Jeep and enjoys the combat appearance of his Jeep rather than a factory door look, he stencilled it with the unit i.d. of an American soldier that married his mothers sister ' 448 AAA '.

.P1040391.jpeg.ba38dc81dacf6678e80d9ece54c341bd.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_94f9.jpeg.25f324e65932e5622666df14f2a961d6.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_94fa.jpeg.3fcb0dbeea4932450494cec1ca98d3ea.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_94fb.jpeg.92dc9a9f0ccc970262eee8bb7a427986.jpeg

P1010172.jpeg.1992fb43d6d113e77d68f637faf58829.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 01  2021.

After all the posts about jeeps getting wrecked, I'd prefer to see more jeeps being put together.  Or at least right way up!  

Mikie

On 3/2/2021 at 6:19 AM, General Apathy said:

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . 

just re-found this ' Overseas Package - Flameless lighter ' whilst looking for something else, well smokers would need something to light their cigarettes with.

I have no idea how this works as there doesn't appear to be a flint or such, no striker wheel, no batteries just the fuel to be added. 

.fullsizeoutput_9523.jpeg.b8e4d9b2cd5efb28bed82059af335885.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 02  2021.

I did a little poking around about this.  Sorry, I couldn't find one website had the full story, and none on this exact type. I put together little bits of info on these things from different sources.  It seems that it uses a catalytic reaction of the fuel vapors passing over a platinum wire  to generate enough heat to ignite the cigarette.  No friction device needed.  Just the chemical reaction of air, the fuel and the platinum wire.   

Here is one site that kinda-sorta explains this thing.  Hope this sheds a little light on the subject. 

Interesting item.  

Mikie

General Apathy
13 hours ago, manayunkman said:

I’ve been in some horrible accidents and seen some horrible accidents but that one is lucky as hades.

Was on the scene when an MG convertible flipped with 2 passengers.

They didn’t do well at all since it was pre seat belt.

Hi Piet

I suppose most of us have had or seen serious accidents and thankfully we are still here to relate to them, youth makes us invincible and unaware of the dangers in all things.  

Take care and keep safe.

General Apathy
13 hours ago, mikie said:

After all the posts about jeeps getting wrecked, I'd prefer to see more jeeps being put together.  Or at least right way up!  

Mikie

Hi Mikie

well I agree time to move on and I have listened to your request, so here are two images Jeeps being put together and Jeeps the right way up ..................... pleased to see my Jeep being built just behind yours.  :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_96de.jpeg.fbf48db0620eb2bc7e7de61c7a66e877.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_96d2.jpeg.94cf9e05fc05b9c87234f10d1f4eb86b.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 09  2021.

General Apathy
11 hours ago, mikie said:

I did a little poking around about this.  Sorry, I couldn't find one website had the full story, and none on this exact type. I put together little bits of info on these things from different sources.  It seems that it uses a catalytic reaction of the fuel vapors passing over a platinum wire  to generate enough heat to ignite the cigarette.  No friction device needed.  Just the chemical reaction of air, the fuel and the platinum wire.   

Here is one site that kinda-sorta explains this thing.  Hope this sheds a little light on the subject. 

Interesting item.  

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

thanks for taking the time for the research and sharing here with us . . . . . . . illuminating idea. :lol:

General Apathy

1982 Winter Ardennes trip . . . . . .

In 1982 a bunch of us took our Jeeps and Dodges to the Ardennes in Belgium, about twenty of us were sharing one room, I became fed up of being trodden on during the night as people tripped back and forth to the toilet so I moved onto the top of the wardrobe, perfect peace and zzzzzzz's. 

.fullsizeoutput_9703.jpeg.1c303cc57f1b7e8b6deab477a1a02e3b.jpeg

Johan Willaert
2 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Catching up....

Flipped this photo as it really should be like this.... Jeep from HQ-14th Armored Division...

fullsizeoutput_96d2.jpeg.94cf9e05fc05b9c87234f10d1f4eb86b.jpeg

Johan Willaert
On 3/2/2021 at 10:40 AM, General Apathy said:

Back in June 2019 I recall you seeing the results of Douglas's first attempt at a Jeep rebuild, Douglas is a Storybook artist for films, so he went on a month long welding course in order to do all his slat-grille Jeep rebuild himself.  Here are a few photos of his rebuild and the finished result you saw.

The Jeep originated in the US it was a heavily mangled ' Bubba ' adapted Jeep with huge tyres ( tires ), steel girder bumpers front and rear, cutouts for winch motor and cables etc, etc.  He managed to get most of the original bits together for the rebuild including five original early solid wheel rims ( Non-Combat style ), the pancake air filter, correct radiator, correct dash gauges etc etc.  He took a lead from my Jeep and enjoys the combat appearance of his Jeep rather than a factory door look, he stencilled it with the unit i.d. of an American soldier that married his mothers sister ' 448 AAA '.

Yes, I remember Douglas' early MB and his desire to have it looking as it had never been restored....
Turned out great.... He contacted me back in 2014 to work out the correct 448AAA markings for him....

Two photos of his Willys, first taken near the Ste Marie du Mont church with Belgian Jeep Parts dealer Jaap R looking it over, and second one as Douglas rode by at the 2019 Beltring War&Peace Show...

MB108824 (1).JPG

MB108824 (4).jpg

BTW , did you remember the Bantam BRC 40 owned by the former King Michel of Romania.

He often attend the  june gathering, and this pic was taken at Bayeux  during the 50th annivesary.

King Michel of Romania is n the right side of the pic wearing a civ cap.

PICT0159.JPG

General Apathy
56 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Catching up....

Flipped this photo as it really should be like this.... Jeep from HQ-14th Armored Division...

Hi Johan,  

hahhaaaa, you obviously missed the post when I first added it upside down, then Mikie said he preferred to see Jeeps on their wheels not upside down, so I flipped it and added it again but with it's wheels downwards . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy
57 minutes ago, Johan Willaert said:

Yes, I remember Douglas' early MB and his desire to have it looking as it had never been restored....
Turned out great.... He contacted me back in 2014 to work out the correct 448AAA markings for him....

Two photos of his Willys, first taken near the Ste Marie du Mont church with Belgian Jeep Parts dealer Jaap R looking it over, and second one as Douglas rode by at the 2019 Beltring War&Peace Show...

MB108824 (1).JPG

MB108824 (4).jpg

Hi Johan,  

Thanks for the photo of Douglas at the 2019 Beltring show, he liked the look of my Jeep and wanted his to look unrestored so when he finished the rebuild he then ' aged ' it using his artistic filmwork knowledge . . . . 

He was pleased to get the information from you as to how to stencil it up in the style of his American uncles service during WWII.

General Apathy
33 minutes ago, teufelhund said:

BTW , did you remember the Bantam BRC 40 owned by the former King Michel of Romania.

He often attend the  june gathering, and this pic was taken at Bayeux  during the 50th annivesary.

King Michel of Romania is n the right side of the pic wearing a civ cap.

PICT0159.JPG

thanks for the image you added, yes I do remember it, the story of it was really well known in collecting circles . . . . . 

Another funny pic... taken with vets of the...... 6th german FMJ the Lions of Carentan. 

Precisely on 6/6/1984 at Utah Beach, long before they changed the place into a tourists Luna Park.

I am the "then" young slender guy dressed in original M42 para uniform ( no copies then).

PICT0254.JPG

Johan Willaert
4 hours ago, teufelhund said:

I am the "then" young slender guy dressed in original M42 para uniform ( no copies then).

Hey Francis, nice to hear from you...

Great photo from 1984, when Normandy was still 'Normandy'....

BTW there were in fact repro jump suits available in 1984... Phillys Rose made the jackets and took a pair of chinos and added leg pockets to them...

They were great back in the day...

Thx for bringing up Patrick Hulin's accident.... I remember that too..... What ever happened to the 'Trophee Hulin'???

Johan Willaert

Today I installed the cushion set to the original Jeep seats....
Great quality from a guy called Dave running WeeBeeWebbing.... Most European restorers buy or bought from John&Mary Worthing in England ( I did too back in the 1980s) but these are far better quality and design... They are the early version with all seat cushion having a zippered compartment to add a blanket for more seating comfort.
From 1943 onwards seat cushions were made with springs, sometimes visible in original photos.
Another bit of trivia is that from mid WW2 onwards Jeep had a tirepump attached to the bottom of the rear seat, and since my original seat has the brackets, simply had to add a pump....

227-GPW56685-09Mar21 (16).JPG

227-GPW56685-09Mar21 (20).JPG

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie

well I agree time to move on and I have listened to your request, so here are two images Jeeps being put together and Jeeps the right way up ..................... pleased to see my Jeep being built just behind yours.  :lol:

6 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

Catching up....

The picture was right the way Ken had it.  It was taken in Australia.  

8 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie

Awesome! I love this picture!  

Mikie

5 hours ago, teufelhund said:

Here are some famous characters who attended the 1984 ceremoniers, saddly enough they are now not longer with us. Old soldiers never die , they just fade away

Slim KJim Gavin, Bob Pieper, Tom Porcella, Geo Koskimaki

BTW Pat Hulin Trophy is now terminated since a long time

BOB PIPER.JPG

GAVIN.JPG

PICT0524.JPG

PICT0531.JPG

PICT0515.JPG

14 hours ago, General Apathy said:

1982 Winter Ardennes trip . . . . . .

In 1982 a bunch of us took our Jeeps and Dodges to the Ardennes in Belgium, about twenty of us were sharing one room, I became fed up of being trodden on during the night as people tripped back and forth to the toilet so I moved onto the top of the wardrobe, perfect peace and zzzzzzz's. 

.fullsizeoutput_9703.jpeg.1c303cc57f1b7e8b6deab477a1a02e3b.jpeg

Ha!  Reminds me of some of my overnight trips to see my friend Eric and his band play at a club in Woodland.  This was 25 years or so ago.  We'd rent a couple of rooms at the motel near the club, but for financial reasons, there were always far more people than beds.  A "little cramped" describes things pretty well.  I can't recall anyone sleeping on top of a wardrobe though. One of the funniest things ever was my walking in to one of the rooms the next morning.  There were 10-15 people draped all over the place (but not on top of the wardrobe) all with that dazed-hungover look.  Everyone was staring blankfaced at Cannonball Run II on the TV while slowly munching on soggy leftover Taco Bell tacos.  Funny as heck, but guess you had to be there.  

Ah, those were the days...

Mikie

Johan Willaert
16 hours ago, mikie said:

The picture was right the way Ken had it.  It was taken in Australia.  

Actually it was mirrored.... Jerrycan holder is on the left (driver's side) of the vehicle... That is why I flipped it.... but not important...

General Apathy
On 3/9/2021 at 12:52 PM, teufelhund said:

Another funny pic... taken with vets of the...... 6th german FMJ the Lions of Carentan. 

Precisely on 6/6/1984 at Utah Beach, long before they changed the place into a tourists Luna Park.

PICT0254.JPG

Hi Francis, 

Thanks for the photo, I shared the photo above with another vehicle friend and he replied that he was also there the day that this photo was taken.

" Ken yes I know what you mean we were there that day (with George Alexander and our vehicles etc) I remember sitting under that parasol on the right and having a drink when 4 guys on Harleys came around the corner in a cloud of dust and stopped right in front of us just to the right of this pic. They looked really authentic in their gear and all covered in dust. It was a very hot day.

Lee."