Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
22 hours ago, Johan Willaert said:

And this is what most French made Hotchkiss M201 look like today....
Marked and dressed up as a WW2 Willys MB....

153547271_879802169508945_4783846395000037934_n.jpg

Hi Johan,  

Thanks for all the detail and links you have added towards identifying the French ( M201 ) models.  

Although most M201 owners cover their Jeeps with USA markings and USA equipment the one detail that most owners fail to change are the wheel rims.  The five bolt hole pattern rims are fully interchangeable with all other wartime USA Jeeps, however the profile of the curves on the rim are totally French in style and immediately recognisable as such.  Almost all mid-war to late war US Jeeps had a two part ' Combat ' rim which was intended to make changing tyres and tubes easier in the field without machinery to pull damaged tyres off and fitting a new tyre.

The attached photo shows the standard two piece US combat rim, the five bolt holes for fitting the rim to the wheel axle can be seen around the centre and the outer circle of bolt-studs for splitting the rims around the outer circumference. ( The nuts for taking the wheel apart are on the opposite side of the rim to avoid any accidental unbolting of the two parts while fixed to the axle brake-drum

( originals of these two piece combat rims are now considered expensive, and funnily enough the reproduction split rims are also considered an unnecessary expense by most M201 owners. )

.fullsizeoutput_94d3.jpeg.9e5b751026bfdd2dac4d58d0af918fe8.jpeg 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 01  2021.

" Life's too short for reproductions "

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

General Apathy

And now for something completely different, in fact with a Bang !!

Over the weekend a wartime 2,000Lb German bomb was discovered on a building site in the centre of Exeter in the UK. The eighty one year old device caused the evacuation of 2,600 residents for the weekend. The device was then exploded in a controlled explosion which caused very minimal damage to surrounding buildings.

.fullsizeoutput_94dd.jpeg.b6c797d816f14ecb275781db6386817f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_94de.jpeg.91771eb176f2f3d4c83e6e792a70b1ea.jpeg

"  Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes "

We actually have M201 rims on our slat grille MB because they somewhat resemble the first type solid rims correct for early jeeps. My dad and I restored it in the mid 1990's, in the pre-internet days right in the era that original parts became harder to find and the availability of repro parts was still somewhat limited. Our source of knowledge was a few books and dad would crawl over every jeep we saw at meetings to make (analog) photographs.

I remember we would end from our annual family summer vacation in Britanny with a weekend in Paris and the first stop would be the yard of SCMD, a large dealer is surplus military vehicle parts now long gone. Mom and sis would wait a few hours in the car while we collected the parts from the list dad had made from their paper catalogue and stashed those in an already full Volvo estate somehow... I remember the tank sump going on the floor behind the front seat so sis could put her feet in it, the seat cushions going in the dogs' basket and the exhaust was tied to the dog rack.

SCMD was not our only source of parts in France, as we found a garage that specialized in surplus jeeps in a nearby village to where our usual holiday stay was. I remember seeing a very nice and original unrestored GPW there, with all the F-marked bolts etc. Dad would buy parts there and later the owner even agreed to have SCMD send parts to him for us to collect. We got at least two of the M201 rims from this place and on the way back home they were tied onto the roof, next to the skibox we used for luggage (this was before the specialized roof luggage carriers were available)...

Apart from jeeps dad and I have an interest in classic cars in general, and we would drive around and stop at village garages and scrapyards to see what they had (local garages usually had a small yard too) and ask if they would have any 6V bulbs left in stock as these were very hard to find at home. We managed to collect quite a few of them, the garages selling whatever they had left in a corner top shelf collecting dust for very cheap or even gave them away for free when we explained why we needed them. Up to this day I still use bulbs from this stock we gathered back then and have enough left for years to come.

I miss those days.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  

Thanks for all the detail and links you have added towards identifying the French ( M201 ) models.  

Although most M201 owners cover their Jeeps with USA markings and USA equipment the one detail that most owners fail to change are the wheel rims.  The five bolt hole pattern rims are fully interchangeable with all other wartime USA Jeeps, however the profile of the curves on the rim are totally French in style and immediately recognisable as such.  Almost all mid-war to late war US Jeeps had a two part ' Combat ' rim which was intended to make changing tyres and tubes easier in the field without machinery to pull damaged tyres off and fitting a new tyre.

The attached photo shows the standard two piece US combat rim, the five bolt holes for fitting the rim to the wheel axle can be seen around the centre and the outer circle of bolt-studs for splitting the rims around the outer circumference. ( The nuts for taking the wheel apart are on the opposite side of the rim to avoid any accidental unbolting of the two parts while fixed to the axle brake-drum

( originals of these two piece combat rims are now considered expensive, and funnily enough the reproduction split rims are also considered an unnecessary expense by most M201 owners. )

.fullsizeoutput_94d3.jpeg.9e5b751026bfdd2dac4d58d0af918fe8.jpeg 

Repairing a combat rim and tyre ( tire ) 

This photo ( possibly Korea period ) shows a combat rim being taken apart in a front-line ( field ) conditions.

The soldier has already removed the first half of the two rims and it sits on the tyre to the side of him and the inner-tube to the side of the standing soldier, he is now attempting removal of the second part of the rim with a lever and hammer, this has to be done around the entire circumference of the tyre and rim, sometimes repeatedly several times. .

I can verify from experience that this is still a very hard and lengthy process to complete in the field or even in a garage with a multitude of tools.  Overtime the pressure inside the tyre causes the bead edge of the rubber tyre to ' weld ' itself to the bead of the metal rim. Today WD40 releasing fluid can be a great help  . . . . . . . 

Separating rims is a dangerous operation to complete for any inexperienced operator . . . . . . . . . . . 

ALL AIR PRESSURE MUST BE LET OUT OF THE TYRE BEFORE ANY ATTEMPT AT SEPARATING THE RIMS. 

.fullsizeoutput_94df.jpeg.50b7f5bdcbcfc9e1de44681045822541.jpeg

Sometimes driving a loaded Jeep over the tyre will aid in separating the tyre from the rim. 

General Apathy
30 minutes ago, earlymb said:

We actually have M201 rims on our slat grille MB because they somewhat resemble the first type solid rims correct for early jeeps. My dad and I restored it in the mid 1990's, in the pre-internet days right in the era that original parts became harder to find and the availability of repro parts was still somewhat limited. Our source of knowledge was a few books and dad would crawl over every jeep we saw at meetings to make (analog) photographs.

I remember we would end from our annual family summer vacation in Britanny with a weekend in Paris and the first stop would be the yard of SCMD, a large dealer is surplus military vehicle parts now long gone. Mom and sis would wait a few hours in the car while we collected the parts from the list dad had made from their paper catalogue and stashed those in an already full Volvo estate somehow... I remember the tank sump going on the floor behind the front seat so sis could put her feet in it, the seat cushions going in the dogs' basket and the exhaust was tied to the dog rack.

SCMD was not our only source of parts in France, as we found a garage that specialized in surplus jeeps in a nearby village to where our usual holiday stay was. I remember seeing a very nice and original unrestored GPW there, with all the F-marked bolts etc. Dad would buy parts there and later the owner even agreed to have SCMD send parts to him for us to collect. We got at least two of the M201 rims from this place and on the way back home they were tied onto the roof, next to the skibox we used for luggage (this was before the specialized roof luggage carriers were available)...

Apart from jeeps dad and I have an interest in classic cars in general, and we would drive around and stop at village garages and scrapyards to see what they had (local garages usually had a small yard too) and ask if they would have any 6V bulbs left in stock as these were very hard to find at home. We managed to collect quite a few of them, the garages selling whatever they had left in a corner top shelf collecting dust for very cheap or even gave them away for free when we explained why we needed them. Up to this day I still use bulbs from this stock we gathered back then and have enough left for years to come.

I miss those days.

Hi David,

thank you, very interesting to read your early experiences, I believe there was a small original batch of none-split MB style rims made by Hotchkiss and the profile is correct to the early slat-grille pattern. The difference between the two manufacturers can only be seen inside the rim when the there is no tyre ( tire ) on the rim.  Then the new French designed rim became the adopted standard for the M201's. 

When I had my slat-grille Jeep ( sold fourteen years now ) I used to buy all or any none-split rims that I saw as they were very collectible by slat-grille owners. I also bought any other parts associated with slat-grilles, I let two spare ' pancake ' air filters go with the sale, now mega-bucks when found. 

For other readers here is a link to a website regarding Jeep rims, its only speaks of US vehicle rims and doesn't make comparisons to the French rims.  

http://www.rensjeep.com/rim/wheelid.html

General Apathy
5 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Ken 

Here’s a fun keep one.

owen 

CE420713-25E2-48F9-9B3D-385F7F775BEC.jpeg

D2A422E1-94EF-4126-9601-B90FE0FA43D9.jpeg

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the image you added,  I have forwarded it straight on to Finlay in London who is compiling all the Jeep ' ambulance ' photos he can gather together.

General Apathy

Hi Johan,

Back in June 2019 I recall you seeing the results of Douglas's first attempt at a Jeep rebuild, Douglas is a Storybook artist for films, so he went on a month long welding course in order to do all his slat-grille Jeep rebuild himself.  Here are a few photos of his rebuild and the finished result you saw.

The Jeep originated in the US it was a heavily mangled ' Bubba ' adapted Jeep with huge tyres ( tires ), steel girder bumpers front and rear, cutouts for winch motor and cables etc, etc.  He managed to get most of the original bits together for the rebuild including five original early solid wheel rims ( Non-Combat style ), the pancake air filter, correct radiator, correct dash gauges etc etc.  He took a lead from my Jeep and enjoys the combat appearance of his Jeep rather than a factory door look, he stencilled it with the unit i.d. of an American soldier that married his mothers sister ' 448 AAA '.

.P1040391.jpeg.ba38dc81dacf6678e80d9ece54c341bd.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_94f9.jpeg.25f324e65932e5622666df14f2a961d6.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_94fa.jpeg.3fcb0dbeea4932450494cec1ca98d3ea.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_94fb.jpeg.92dc9a9f0ccc970262eee8bb7a427986.jpeg

P1010172.jpeg.1992fb43d6d113e77d68f637faf58829.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . 

A few bullion patches, sadly the moths had got to the 3rd Division patch before I bought it. 

fullsizeoutput_9503.jpeg.4e04da8e065590b94089e8d7b268430f.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . 

just re-found this ' Overseas Package - Flameless lighter ' whilst looking for something else, well smokers would need something to light their cigarettes with.

I have no idea how this works as there doesn't appear to be a flint or such, no striker wheel, no batteries just the fuel to be added. 

.fullsizeoutput_9523.jpeg.b8e4d9b2cd5efb28bed82059af335885.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 02  2021.

You guys make me want to get a Jeep!  When I was with the 2ID in Korea 1985-86 we still had M151’s which is still fairly nostalgic as far as militaria vehicles.  I have never seriously looked into finding one, but can you even legally drive them on the streets?  If not, then that would be totally BS given the 3 and 4 wheel contraptions that are classified as motorcycles.  I want a friggin’ Jeep!

Johan Willaert
16 hours ago, BryanJ said:

You guys make me want to get a Jeep!  When I was with the 2ID in Korea 1985-86 we still had M151’s which is still fairly nostalgic as far as militaria vehicles.  I have never seriously looked into finding one, but can you even legally drive them on the streets?  If not, then that would be totally BS given the 3 and 4 wheel contraptions that are classified as motorcycles.  I want a friggin’ Jeep!

Check out a guy called 'Ed Lapadura' on Facebook...
He will be selling this freshly restored 1945 Willys MB within the next few weeks.. located in FL too...

151700112_180003293893950_9043672996813723179_o.jpg

On 3/1/2021 at 2:53 AM, General Apathy said:

And now for something completely different, in fact with a Bang !!

Over the weekend a wartime 2,000Lb German bomb was discovered on a building site in the centre of Exeter in the UK. The eighty one year old device caused the evacuation of 2,600 residents for the weekend. The device was then exploded in a controlled explosion which caused very minimal damage to surrounding buildings.

.fullsizeoutput_94dd.jpeg.b6c797d816f14ecb275781db6386817f.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_94de.jpeg.91771eb176f2f3d4c83e6e792a70b1ea.jpeg

Holy smokes!  

Mikie

General Apathy

Word of WARNING..................

This Jeep rolled-over on Wednesday near Vierville-sur-Mer and six people were injured, thankfully no fatalities.

The Jeep is only legal for four passenger and it had six re-enactors with kit which might have been contributory to the accident due to overload and being top heavy.  I have no idea of the owners nationality or the re-enactors but guessing them to be local French due to Covid travel limitations . . . . . . . waiting to hear police report on the cause of accident.

On another warning note, a local Jeep owner suffered loss of brakes this week due to a faulty brake-light switch which popped apart

when he applied pressure on the brakes . . . . . . . .  some of these reproduction parts are bloody useless.  About two years ago another French Jeep owner had brake loss descending the steep hill into Cherbourg and crashed his Jeep, I believe he spent several months in a wheel chair with broken leg bones.  

Regular servicing and buying decent parts are always advisory . . . . . . . . . I believe that there is a new law coming into force shortly regarding the age of tyres ( Tires ) with a limit of ten years life span.  This morning helping a local friend dismantle the Jeep he just acquired I spotted that the tyres ( tires )  although looking brand new they had a date moulded into the side wall of October 1992. !!!!!! almost thirty years old ..................

I may be peeing into the wind here but I get an optical impression that the front tyre ( tire ) is larger than the rear, try measuring the tyres on your screen and see what you think . ... . . . . . .. . . . . ?????????

.fullsizeoutput_960f.jpeg.5b6355d0a30f1e92d47932d6b1569f4f.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 05  2021.

10 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

This Jeep rolled-over on Wednesday near Vierville-sur-Mer and six people were injured, thankfully no fatalities.

The Jeep is only legal for four passenger and it had six re-enactors with kit which might have been contributory to the accident due to overload and being top heavy.  I have no idea of the owners nationality or the re-enactors but guessing them to be local French due to Covid travel limitations . . . . . . . waiting to hear police report on the cause of accident.

On another warning note, a local Jeep owner suffered loss of brakes this week due to a faulty brake-light switch which popped apart

when he applied pressure on the brakes . . . . . . . .  some of these reproduction parts are bloody useless.  About two years ago another French Jeep owner had brake loss descending the steep hill into Cherbourg and crashed his Jeep, I believe he spent several months in a wheel chair with broken leg bones.  

Regular servicing and buying decent parts are always advisory . . . . . . . . . I believe that there is a new law coming into force shortly regarding the age of tyres ( Tires ) with a limit of ten years life span.  This morning helping a local friend dismantle the Jeep he just acquired I spotted that the tyres ( tires )  although looking brand new they had a date moulded into the side wall of October 1992. !!!!!! almost thirty years old ..................

I may be peeing into the wind here but I get an optical impression that the front tyre ( tire ) is larger than the rear, try measuring the tyres on your screen and see what you think . ... . . . . . .. . . . . ?????????

Always, always, always, rubber side down...  

I hope nobody was seriously injured.

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Blacksmith said:

Always, always, always, rubber side down...  

I hope nobody was seriously injured.

Hi Blacksmith,

Thanks for your wishes for the people involved . . . . . Yep greasy side down anytime, all the time . . . . . . . .  

General Apathy

Finding Normandy locations for Then & Now images . . . . . . 

Ian, ( ex-forum member SABREJET ) sent me an unidentified photograph last week and asked if I knew or could find the location, I replied that I felt it was Grandcamp Maisy from my memorising of buildings as I travel around. 

Robert ( forum member LtRGFRANK ) and several other people have asked how I trace locations, so in order to answer their questions here is my comparison showing that it is Grandcamp Maisy found from my memorising towns, buildings and locations. 

Another way I find locations is to memorise the wartime shots and then try and spot the location whilst driving around . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_9683.jpeg.4ec93dfb0cb1f9ff7cdfc3e26c14fc69.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9666.jpeg.6bcd6c9813e381213040400322146c89.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 07  2021.

General Apathy
On 3/1/2021 at 12:29 PM, General Apathy said:

Repairing a combat rim and tyre ( tire ) 

Separating rims is a dangerous operation to complete for any inexperienced operator . . . . . . . . . . . 

ALL AIR PRESSURE MUST BE LET OUT OF THE TYRE BEFORE ANY ATTEMPT AT SEPARATING THE RIMS. 

.fullsizeoutput_94df.jpeg.50b7f5bdcbcfc9e1de44681045822541.jpeg

Sometimes driving a loaded Jeep over the tyre will aid in separating the tyre from the rim. 

Photo I just received . . . . . . .

Jeeping friend Len must have read this post I made above regarding driving a Jeep over a tyre ( tire ) casing to break the seal on the rim bead, Len emailed me this LIFE image of USN sailors using a Jeep ( GPW ) to try and separate a tyre from the bead . . . . . . :lol:

.fullsizeoutput_9688.jpeg.11cd0fa22e2493b8954750bad047e1ca.jpeg

1 hour ago, General Apathy said:

Finding Normandy locations for Then & Now images . . . . . . 

Ian, ( ex-forum member SABREJET ) sent me an unidentified photograph last week and asked if I knew or could find the location, I replied that I felt it was Grandcamp Maisy from my memorising of buildings as I travel around. 

Robert ( forum member LtRGFRANK ) and several other people have asked how I trace locations, so in order to answer their questions here is my comparison showing that it is Grandcamp Maisy found from my memorising towns, buildings and locations. 

Another way I find locations is to memorise the wartime shots and then try and spot the location whilst driving around . . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_9683.jpeg.4ec93dfb0cb1f9ff7cdfc3e26c14fc69.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_9666.jpeg.6bcd6c9813e381213040400322146c89.jpeg

You have a gift, Ken. As a person with the memory retention span of a guppy (actual quote from one of my high school teachers),  thank you for sharing it with us with these Then & Nows. 

My wife and I were watching tv when Ronald Reagan announced he had Alzheimer's. She turned to me and said " he has the same thing as you". 

Mikie

On 3/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, General Apathy said:

Ken,

I see what you are taking about but I wonder if it is an optical illusion due to bent axles.  

Glad everyone is ok.

My first thought was - Ken and Johan can rebuild her! 

...Kat

On 3/5/2021 at 7:49 AM, General Apathy said:

This one hits close to home. My daughter flipped her car 4 years ago. Car was totalled, but Thank God she and her friends only  had scratches and minor bruises.  Easily the worst phone call I ever got was her calling me that day.

Mikie

General Apathy
7 hours ago, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I see what you are taking about but I wonder if it is an optical illusion due to bent axles.  

Glad everyone is ok.

My first thought was - Ken and Johan can rebuild her! 

...Kat

Hi Kat,

As I said it might be an optical illusion and these lines I added here show that it is  . . . . . . . 

I was concerned as there are different sizes of tyre cases available  650 x 16 and 600 x 16, some inexperienced owners have fitted both of these in the past . . . . . . . . . :huh:

Last month a local guy over here had problems with his car, he replaced a punctured tyre / tire  with the unused wheel from the boot / trunk, afterwards the car would not achieve the normal drive speed and went into a slow  ' limp-home ' mode.  It appears that the car's computer had detected a size difference between the replacement unused tyre / tire and the one on the other side of the car and this was just a matter of millimetres of tyre / tire depth. Garages are now suggesting / trying to sell tyres / tires in full sets now and not just an individual replacement . . . . . . . . .

I believe that some cars are now being fitted with a British invention of a blue-tooth pressure gauge in the tyre / tire valve, this will alert the car computer to a difference in tyre / tire pressures  . . . . . . . . . . it's an A.I. world. :(

.fullsizeoutput_963a.jpeg.d13ada09d5e6528f883a60a9b40a67cb.jpeg

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 08  2021.

My friend Patrick H. died in 1984 when he was trying to separate the two flasques of a so called Jeep " combat weel" he previously discovered on a garbage dump in the S of France.

He firstly tried to remove the rotten tyres by cutting same with a disc on a corner grindle but this smelled like hell.

He then tried to inflate the tyre with a air compressor in order to separate the flasks after having removed the 5 bolts.

What must happen... finaly happened and a piece of the central ring smached him when the entire wheel exploded.

He was a good friend of mine.

General Apathy
16 hours ago, mikie said:

This one hits close to home. My daughter flipped her car 4 years ago. Car was totalled, but Thank God she and her friends only  had scratches and minor bruises.  Easily the worst phone call I ever got was her calling me that day.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,  

Sorry to hear that this was so close to home for you having your own daughter being involved in the accident, pleased to hear that they all walked away with minor injuries.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 08  2021.