Norman D. Landing

bilko1

My kind of hybrid car.............

message-editor_1604939414706-b.jpg.1fca2819277205d71b65c3fe6e99aa44.jpgwolseley-vickers-wheel-cum-track-car-1927-doc-braham.jpg.d089bcd36d8c46c2830f90420f576123.jpg

It is actually a Wolsley-Vickers wheel track car from 1926. It was also developed into a tank version.

The Germans used something similar during WW2: the SdKfz 254 Gepanzerte Beobachtungswagen (armored reconnaissance car)

ac14d1b6e377fc9967b94412b8b574a6.jpg.18072ea1e62f3201f81a73e13e2d7a44.jpg

The complexity of those vehicles makes my head hurt just looking at them.  Thanks for posting them, I’ve never seen anything like them.

Lewis, that Jeep model is great, I like the figures.  Super glue fixes everything.  

4 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

message-editor_1604939414706-b.jpg.1fca2819277205d71b65c3fe6e99aa44.jpgwolseley-vickers-wheel-cum-track-car-1927-doc-braham.jpg.d089bcd36d8c46c2830f90420f576123.jpg

It is actually a Wolsley-Vickers wheel track car from 1926. It was also developed into a tank version.

The Germans used something similar during WW2: the SdKfz 254 Gepanzerte Beobachtungswagen (armored reconnaissance car)

I've never heard of them. My guess is they were one of those good ideas that just doesn't work out as expected.

On 12/4/2020 at 8:55 AM, Dogsbody said:

These are interesting! Never heard of them.

...Kat

8 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

I guess those Sousaphone players must have had an extra set of lungs considering the headwind they are facing........

194565_242578715865612_2034418945_o.jpg.70fdead85866b7b7ee3c07423c757d4d.jpg

Rene

What caliber are the blunderbuss cannon on those jeeps?

General Apathy
On 12/3/2020 at 10:04 PM, Johan Willaert said:

on my last trip to the US back in 2017, I stopped by an old hardware store in Placerville, CA, and bought dozens of washers of all common sizes found on our vehicles... very expensive if you have to buy them in Europe...

Hi Johan,  all those trips to the states had to be used wisely, I was adept at packing things like they pack Russian dolls, packing things inside other things, inside other things, which went inside other things using all available space. Warwick who often made buying trips with me to the states would ask me to pack his bags for him as he liked how I did it.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 10  2020.

General Apathy
On 12/3/2020 at 9:35 PM, cutiger83 said:

Ken,

I think this is great. I did not know you saved old bolts. I have been saving the old rusted ones from the plane just because I love the original markings. 

..Kat

Hi Kat,  in hindsight I wish I had spent more time collecting bank-notes  . . . . . . they are worth more and take up less space.  :lol: and I also love them for the original markings on them Benjamin Franklin were nice ones  . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy
On 12/4/2020 at 3:29 AM, mikie said:

I'll chime in here and say that's a great model. Those figures made me laugh... Sorry I'm getting a little behind here. Busy busy. And then I fall asleep. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie, I'm glad to hear that you are busy-busy as you comment, that helps maintain a little behind, sat around all day only gives you a large behind . . . . . . . . . . :lol:  :lol:

General Apathy
On 12/4/2020 at 3:34 AM, mikie said:

Buying all those washers? Must have thought he was nuts. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie, the guy never thought Johan was nuts, he had realised he was Belgian . . . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy
On 12/4/2020 at 4:09 AM, cutiger83 said:

Mikie,

I do the same thing! I thought I was the only crazy one!  I also find the occasional socket or other tool. It is amazing what you can find walking around the neighborhood.

...Kat

Hi Kat,  what people need to be careful of is finding something before the other guy has lost it, thats when the police get called . . . . . . . . . . :blush:

General Apathy
On 12/4/2020 at 9:30 AM, Johan Willaert said:

Actually quite a funny story... in preparation of the trip I had made a list of all the sizes washers I wanted along with some very special uncommon screws and other bits of hardware...
So along the road whenever I saw a store that sold hardware, I had a look around but didn't find exactly what I was looking for... And then near the end of the trip I came across a hardware store in Placerville CA that seemed to have been in business forever...
So I walk in and hand the shopkeeper ( a guy in his 30s) my list... and he goes 'hey, let me get my dad for this'...
So dad comes out and looks at my list and takes me to the back of the shop where all the old stuff is....
I must have spent about an hour in there going through old boxes of screws, nuts and washers and in the end I walked about with the list fully ticked at about a quarter of the price I would have paid in Europe...

Hi Johan,  I used to love the days when there were old hardware stores in the UK, also garages with retired military personnel from WWII.  It was possible to take an item in and ask ' do you have anything like this or I can adapt to look like this ', they would disappear into the back and come out with some options and be generally helpful.  All you get these days is ' WHAT'S THE PART NUMBER ' if you don't have a part number I won't find it on the computer, and that's progress. 

General Apathy
On 12/4/2020 at 11:20 AM, LtRGFRANK said:

I have a bucket at home for over 30 years. Every left over bolt, nut, washer etc goes in it. If I need something I will find it in there if I dig through it

Hi Robert,  that's great you don't have to go in a store with a part number . . . . . . .

General Apathy
On 12/4/2020 at 2:55 PM, Dogsbody said:

Hi Rene,  innovations come from the military and from wars, thanks I can't recall having seen these photos before. The WWII Bletchley Park ' Colossus ' decoding machine became the forerunner of todays computer . . . . . . . . . 

General Apathy
On 12/4/2020 at 7:00 PM, Old Marine said:

The complexity of those vehicles makes my head hurt just looking at them.  Thanks for posting them, I’ve never seen anything like them.

Lewis, that Jeep model is great, I like the figures.  Super glue fixes everything.  

Hi Dennis, yes I believe you're right, I find a touch of it also prevents fraying on clothing material as well as joining things together.  I recall being rather mischievous once when back in the day Superglue was first being promoted.  I was in a hardware store waiting to be attended to when a rather well dressed young lady sales rep was trying to promote this latest glue to the owner of the hardware store, she glued together the two ends of a rubber tube and was stretching it to show it wouldn't break, she asked me for comment and I with a dry face said ' I still prefer the strength of two six-inch nails ' . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :P

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Kat,  in hindsight I wish I had spent more time collecting bank-notes  . . . . . . they are worth more and take up less space.  :lol: and I also love them for the original markings on them Benjamin Franklin were nice ones  . . . . . . . . .

We now have a Like button. Now we need a side splitting laugh out our button.

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Mikie, the guy never thought Johan was nuts, he had realised he was Belgian . . . . . . . . ;)

You mean they are all like Johan? Gotta get over there someday. 

11 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Dennis, yes I believe you're right, I find a touch of it also prevents fraying on clothing material as well as joining things together.  I recall being rather mischievous once when back in the day Superglue was first being promoted.  I was in a hardware store waiting to be attended to when a rather well dressed young lady sales rep was trying to promote this latest glue to the owner of the hardware store, she glued together the two ends of a rubber tube and was stretching it to show it wouldn't break, she asked me for comment and I with a dry face said ' I still prefer the strength of two six-inch nails ' . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :P

Well, you hammered that one home..........

Different kind of sleds....

Sherman Tank Tows Troops (1940-1949) - YouTube

I don't know if the link works. (If interested you can also go to youtube and search for "Sherman tank tows troops". A Pathe film should be one of the options to chose from)

Rene