Jump to content

Norman D. Landing


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 17.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • General Apathy

    7827

  • mikie

    1384

  • Dogsbody

    1050

  • Sabrejet

    982

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, mikie said:

Neat photos.  Your eye for detail never ceases to amaze me.  But then, I'm the guy who spent 3 minutes looking for my glasses the other day and finally found them on top of my head.  That was when I knew I really needed a haircut.

 

Mikie

.

Hi Mikie,  thanks for the compliment, yes over the years I really enjoyed picking out detail in everything around me, sorry to say that the old peepers aren't what they used to be speed wise, I have to concentrate and stare at things for much longer now, but then I have always taken my time and stared at the female form . . . . . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 14  2020. 

 

.

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, kammo-man said:

c783f150d30beb0540acaf5aefaf80e4.jpg
And no trip is complete to Santa Barbara without paying homage to the Santa Barbara surf shop and col Kilgores surf board from apocalypse Now
Owen


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.

Hi Owen,  thanks for your breakfast tour of Santa Barbara, interesting to see the ' Charlie don't Surf ' board . . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 14  2020. 

 

.

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

.

August here again in Normandy and Paris . . . . . . . . . 1944 - 2020

 

So here's a Parisian fashion show of footwear being worn that season in 1944. . . . . . . . . :lol:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 14  2020. 

 

.fullsizeoutput_5d8b.jpeg.03cee18f69e8bec786cfe677fb3e22c8.jpeg

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

Hi Mikie,  thanks for the compliment, yes over the years I really enjoyed picking out detail in everything around me, sorry to say that the old peepers aren't what they used to be speed wise, I have to concentrate and stare at things for much longer now, but then I have always taken my time and stared at the female form . . . . . . . . . . . . :rolleyes:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 14  2020. 

 

.

really, hahaha

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.

 

Churchill

 

Keep buggering on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe one of the rarest Jeep on this planet . . . . . . 

 

For sale on ' Milweb' this evening is an air-portable Jeep that was dropped into France June 5th 1944, it was wrecked when it landed, it comes with the framework and four crash pads that the Jeep was strapped to, also a second framework recovered from a farmer in better condition from another Jeep that was also parachuted in.  

 

( This post has been copied from the Milweb advert as an item of interest for readers here, I have not personally seen this particular Jeep

 

( the chassis shown in the advert IS NOT the Jeep chassis, it is the parachute framework that the Jeep was secured to for the drop, clarified as the French to English translation refers to it as a chassis ) 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_5de6.jpeg.469a966c43fc9ecfde1841340168e4f9.jpeg 

 

.img_1.jpg.847279678ef0ff619f7ef668c01aaa62.jpg

 

.fullsizeoutput_5de4.jpeg.b71987c36d3178900ab7a693c20e79d6.jpeg

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, General Apathy said:

Maybe one of the rarest Jeep on this planet . . . . . . 

 

For sale on ' Milweb' this evening is an air-portable Jeep that was dropped into France June 5th 1944, it was wrecked when it landed, it comes with the framework and four crash pads that the Jeep was strapped to, also a second framework recovered from a farmer in better condition from another Jeep that was also parachuted in.  

 

( This post has been copied from the Milweb advert as an item of interest for readers here, I have not personally seen this particular Jeep

 

( the chassis shown in the advert IS NOT the Jeep chassis, it is the parachute framework that the Jeep was secured to for the drop, clarified as the French to English translation refers to it as a chassis ) 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_5de6.jpeg.469a966c43fc9ecfde1841340168e4f9.jpeg 

 

.img_1.jpg.847279678ef0ff619f7ef668c01aaa62.jpg

 

.fullsizeoutput_5de4.jpeg.b71987c36d3178900ab7a693c20e79d6.jpeg

Wow!  That's an amazing find.  But I think the landing process needed a little work.  

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two interesting IX engineer command related vids. The first one shows nice close ups of connecting PSP planks but alas nothing on rolling them.....the search continues

 

 

 

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.

 

Churchill

 

Keep buggering on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a while  since I posted a Then and Now so here's one from Venlo.  The Then shot was taken shortly after the liberation in 1945. It shows two soft top Deuce and a half trucks in front of a hotel where at the time GI's were billeted. Today the hotel is still there albeit under a different name.

 

654062569_Knipsel(2).PNG.51e249976d2e9dad7d89181c8b7c4d12.PNG

 

1160813207_SAM_8494(2)a.jpg.7263aaab82e26b93c260e7084ccfcaf6.jpg

 

 

 

 

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.

 

Churchill

 

Keep buggering on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LtRGFRANK said:

nice to have a working computer again and catch up on the posts

.

Hi Robert,  happy to hear that you are back reading the posts again . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020. ( VJ Day commemorations today 15th August )

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mikie said:

Wow!  That's an amazing find.  But I think the landing process needed a little work.  

Mikie

.

Hi Mikie,  War, the mother of invention, so many ideas came out of WWII that have passed into general usage today, if not the dropping idea then certainly the 4 x 4 Jeep idea . . . . . . . . . . . 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020. ( VJ Day commemorations today 15th August )

 

.

2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Two interesting IX engineer command related vids. The first one shows nice close ups of connecting PSP planks but alas nothing on rolling them.....the search continues

 

 

 

.

Hi Rene,  well I have to thank you for the PSP video, certainly hammers home the use of the securing clips . . . . . . . punned again  :lol: :lol:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020. ( VJ Day commemorations today 15th August )

 

.

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

It's been a while  since I posted a Then and Now so here's one from Venlo.  The Then shot was taken shortly after the liberation in 1945. It shows two soft top Deuce and a half trucks in front of a hotel where at the time GI's were billeted. Today the hotel is still there albeit under a different name.

 

654062569_Knipsel(2).PNG.51e249976d2e9dad7d89181c8b7c4d12.PNG

 

1160813207_SAM_8494(2)a.jpg.7263aaab82e26b93c260e7084ccfcaf6.jpg

 

 

 

 

.

Hi Rene,  another great Then & Now, whether it's pure coincidence or not the tree on the left in your comparison has similar bends and branches to the second tree from the left in the wartime shot . . . . . . . . . .

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020. ( VJ Day commemorations today 15th August )

 

.

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

.

Hi Owen,  heres an image of our youthful mutual fresh faced friend stunt arranger Jim Dowdall stood over the rear of Michael Caine in the 1976 film ' The Eagle Has Landed ' . . . . . . . . B)

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020. ( VJ Day commemorations today 15th August )

 

.fullsizeoutput_5dfe.jpeg.b5ced6aea6579af0b80458e93efa7580.jpeg

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Maybe one of the rarest Jeep on this planet . . . . . . 

 

For sale on ' Milweb' this evening is an air-portable Jeep that was dropped into France June 5th 1944, it was wrecked when it landed, it comes with the framework and four crash pads that the Jeep was strapped to, also a second framework recovered from a farmer in better condition from another Jeep that was also parachuted in.  

 

( This post has been copied from the Milweb advert as an item of interest for readers here, I have not personally seen this particular Jeep

 

( the chassis shown in the advert IS NOT the Jeep chassis, it is the parachute framework that the Jeep was secured to for the drop, clarified as the French to English translation refers to it as a chassis ) 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_5de6.jpeg.469a966c43fc9ecfde1841340168e4f9.jpeg 

 

.img_1.jpg.847279678ef0ff619f7ef668c01aaa62.jpg

 

.fullsizeoutput_5de4.jpeg.b71987c36d3178900ab7a693c20e79d6.jpeg


Incredible Ken,

 

Who kept this since 1944?

 

A farmer?

 

It must have fallen from the sky no chute.

 

I wonder what happened to the rest of it?

 

Cannibalized by US troops or sold off piece by piece by the farmer?

 

Its fascinating what people have kept over these years.

donation2013.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Maybe one of the rarest Jeep on this planet . . . . . . 

 

For sale on ' Milweb' this evening is an air-portable Jeep that was dropped into France June 5th 1944, it was wrecked when it landed, it comes with the framework and four crash pads that the Jeep was strapped to, also a second framework recovered from a farmer in better condition from another Jeep that was also parachuted in.  

 

( This post has been copied from the Milweb advert as an item of interest for readers here, I have not personally seen this particular Jeep

 

( the chassis shown in the advert IS NOT the Jeep chassis, it is the parachute framework that the Jeep was secured to for the drop, clarified as the French to English translation refers to it as a chassis ) 

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15  2020.

 

 

.

 

.

Well, at least it isn't advertised as having belonged to one careful owner......................

 

Rene

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.

 

Churchill

 

Keep buggering on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Well, at least it isn't advertised as having belonged to one careful owner......................

 

Rene

Or a nice little fixer upper project. 

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

.

For Sale, front seam, stainless edge, swivel bail . . . . . . . . . . .

 

Would you consider buying this given the three large stencilled stars on the front . . . . . . . . :huh:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 16  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_5e39.jpeg.ca2f245e81acb70765ac35bedc6f1e76.jpeg

.

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

 

" Life's too short for reproductions "

 

 

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

 

.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've have never seen a 3-star with stars that big. Here's an brig. general's helmet with a similar sized star, though.

 

341993051_Schermopname(652).png.66208931790743a3a8cc73b5aa69cdb4.png

 

One, two, three...........couldn't help posting this one......Theodore Roosevelt, Terry Allen and George Patton.hyyy.jpg.d020b1791ec0178d06e23b9dc90e79ca.jpg

 

 

Never give in - never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense.

 

Churchill

 

Keep buggering on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, General Apathy said:

.

For Sale, front seam, stainless edge, swivel bail . . . . . . . . . . .

 

Would you consider buying this given the three large stencilled stars on the front . . . . . . . . :huh:

 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 16  2020.

 

.fullsizeoutput_5e39.jpeg.ca2f245e81acb70765ac35bedc6f1e76.jpeg

Strange constellation there. Probably not a good idea to wear that too close to the front lines. Any legitimate helmet to a 3-star general would be out of my budget, so I wouldn't consider buying it. Any info on the helmet? 

Mikie

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken
Jim looks great in that picture!!

That SaS piece is beyond amazing!

Kinda reminds me of the Chevy SaS found in the desert in the late 80s


Owen


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif





Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.