Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
On 7/25/2020 at 5:48 AM, mikie said:

Hi Rene, I'm glad you were willing to come clean about your collecting habits. 

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sounds like you were getting into a lather looking at Rene's soap collection . . . . . thanks Rene

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27  2020. 

General Apathy
On 7/26/2020 at 11:10 AM, Johan Willaert said:

From a 'shoebox' I saw on Facebook...

Your Jimmy, Ken??

15994603_1841257269421483_3838281832770485891_o.jpg

15937112_1841228972757646_1741027153965530226_o.jpg

Hi Johan,  yep the good old days I think 1980's in fact, no that one wasn't my GMC, think it was a Dutch owned one, the tall chappie stood in front of the GMC is Chris, he owns Blunderbuss Antiques in the UK, the store used to be in Thayer Street London.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27 2020. 

General Apathy

Hi Rene,  I saw that you added this interesting image of PSP being laid in the ' Tobacco Pipes in the Services ' thread.  You mentioned that the soldier on the left was smoking a pipe and carrying a hammer.

What was really interesting in the photo for me was that the soldier on the right is also using a hammer, both the soldiers front left and right and the soldier standing far right all have sacks across their shoulders full of the PSP clips which they are knocking into place with the hammers.  If you recall I found a half full carton of these clips back earlier in the year and showed them on this thread. This week I have now found an image from a Technical Manual featuring these clips, it all builds together now ( excuse the pun ) 

.fullsizeoutput_5a4e.jpeg.ee9d33a8dde48b7fe65c55a26f2873cb.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5a62.jpeg.c50ea356244b2a951f09ff2d80497a27.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_45f7.jpeg.0ac68da15366fd6f10cd7c0e060171b1.jpeg

3 hours ago, mikie said:

Hope you have a good trip despite the situation.  Be sure to give us a report about your visit.

Mikie

Thank you!

Hi Johan,  yep the good old days I think 1980's in fact, no that one wasn't my GMC, think it was a Dutch owned one, the tall chappie stood in front of the GMC is Chris, he owns Blunderbuss Antiques in the UK, the store used to be in Thayer Street London.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27 2020. 

Simple Simon is also on there at the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General Apathy
13 hours ago, kammo-man said:

Simple Simon is also on there at the right

Hi Owen,  yes that's the man, far left of the photo, no black neckwear as he was portraying a cavalry trooper. 

If you know Simon then we might possibly have crossed paths at UK shows back in the day . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 28  2020. 

General Apathy
On 7/26/2020 at 11:29 AM, earlymb said:

Although I'm keeping a sharp eye on the current situation, I hope to go to Normandy coming Thursday for a few days with my uncle, who's never been there before so I hope that all the museums and sites with be open.

Hi earlyMB,  apologies that I couldn't give you a more positive guide in the PM I sent you as to the local current situation, a lot of the restrictions are changing either way on a daily basis. As I related regarding restaurants Jane and I haven't been in a restaurant since February and we are missing that but safety first methinks. I think the fine is 120 euros if found without masks in buildings, museums, restaurants and supermarkets. 

have an enjoyable and safe trip . . . . . . . 

Hi Owen,  yes that's the man, far left of the photo, no black neckwear as he was portraying a cavalry trooper. 

If you know Simon then we might possibly have crossed paths at UK shows back in the day . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

Of course Ken
Essex road
Saturday mornings downstairs at the market
Thayer st
Ken market at Danny’s
Camden market which turned up some epic pieces
Flip covent garden
Kings road bottom
Worlds end
There was plenty of you hunted
O

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi earlyMB,  apologies that I couldn't give you a more positive guide in the PM I sent you as to the local current situation, a lot of the restrictions are changing either way on a daily basis. As I related regarding restaurants Jane and I haven't been in a restaurant since February and we are missing that but safety first methinks. I think the fine is 120 euros if found without masks in buildings, museums, restaurants and supermarkets. 

have an enjoyable and safe trip . . . . . . . 

Thanks Ken, we'll make it work, I'm sure some improvising will be needed but that won't be a problem.

On 7/27/2020 at 6:15 PM, General Apathy said:

Hi Rene,  I saw that you added this interesting image of PSP being laid in the ' Tobacco Pipes in the Services ' thread.  You mentioned that the soldier on the left was smoking a pipe and carrying a hammer.

What was really interesting in the photo for me was that the soldier on the right is also using a hammer, both the soldiers front left and right and the soldier standing far right all have sacks across their shoulders full of the PSP clips which they are knocking into place with the hammers.  If you recall I found a half full carton of these clips back earlier in the year and showed them on this thread. This week I have now found an image from a Technical Manual featuring these clips, it all builds together now ( excuse the pun ) 

Hi Ken, thanks for the added info. Really interesting. The picture can be found in this booklet (strategically placed on a piece of Square Mesh Track).

SAM_9877.jpg.30db5ef90f4a55223b844eef8f19ea38.jpg

In the video you can also see a GI hammering in those clips

Rene

General Apathy
On 7/28/2020 at 4:57 PM, kammo-man said:

Of course Ken
Essex road
Saturday mornings downstairs at the market
Thayer st
Ken market at Danny’s
Camden market which turned up some epic pieces
Flip covent garden
Kings road bottom
Worlds end
There was plenty of you hunted
O

High Owen, sadly forgot more London dealers than I can remember now.

Lawrence corner store.

The brothers Mike & Badger Ross. ( sad loss when Mike died so young ) 

Chris Farlowe ' Call to Arms Store ' ( Chris was a 1970's recording artist 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpDjbul0WyE  ( copy, cut and paste if link doesn't open ) 

There were many other dealers we used to know, sadly all disappeared as the London properties they used became more valuable than the contents. 

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 01  2020. 

General Apathy
On 7/29/2020 at 4:54 PM, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, thanks for the added info. Really interesting. The picture can be found in this booklet (strategically placed on a piece of Square Mesh Track).

SAM_9877.jpg.30db5ef90f4a55223b844eef8f19ea38.jpg

In the video you can also see a GI hammering in those clips

Rene

Hi Rene,  thanks for the link and I now see there is another missing part of the PSP system that I need to look for, I see that the soldiers carrying the PSP have a hand held hook that they are using . . . . . . the search goes on. 

Attached a nice shot of the SMT system being laid, Normandy 1944, note there is also a jointing clip used with this system. 

.fullsizeoutput_5b1c.jpeg.c0d65592dd79c8e311736b2e2e4063ed.jpeg

General Apathy
44 minutes ago, Dogsbody said:

Hi Ken, regarding the PSP-system: here's something bigger you are also going to have to look out for..................😄

Rene

SAM_9855.jpg.bc29aca5ba21ef1930c8896971280b19.jpg

Hi Rene,  Thanks not seen that shot before, here's one for you, apparently the Sgt in the mackinaw dropped a fifty cent piece under the PSP so they are rolling it back looking for it . . . . . . . . . . . :)

Truthfully I have no idea what they are doing rolling it up like this, I can't think of any way they could transport that length and weight anywhere else.  If anyone finds a caption for this photo please post it here. ;)

.photo.JPG.05dc8000a7345b56c572d1f3c699b002.JPG

7 hours ago, Dogsbody said:

Sarge looks a little bit lost in that picture.............

I've never seen them rolling PSP planks before. Great picture, though.

Rene

That’s because Sarge is as confused as to why they’re doing that as we are!

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . .  Sunday 2nd August.

yesterday myself and friends took our vehicles to a small Militaria show a couple of hours ride away. It was a great day sunny, warm and all very entertaining with numerous trade-stands and many local finds. 

As the show was quite close to this historic location I took the opportunity to take the friends too see it. Whilst looking over my shoulder to make sure there wasn't any traffic approaching behind me a small thin lady was watching and smiling broadly upon seeing the Jeeps parked up, she had the appearance that she would have lived through WWII, she did she was 96 and had full mental and psychical capabilities but sadly she had no history of this village as she had lived in Grenoble.

This crossroads was a major route in the British battle of the Bocage area, sadly the hotel on the left and the hotel garage on the right have been unused for many years, there has been several attempts to revive the hotel but the small village is no longer a main route to anywhere.  

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 03  2020. 

.fullsizeoutput_5b20.jpeg.4e04a974ffd684c458ccbbb091928e49.jpeg

.fullsizeoutput_5b2b.jpeg.574f8725b4643963708a0148abd453d3.jpeg

General Apathy
1 hour ago, Johan Willaert said:

Nice Ken, whereabouts is that?

Hi Johan,  thanks, here's a better image from my files . . . . . . . .

.fullsizeoutput_5b4c.jpeg.9452ee19434644a79b0d62decc784b29.jpeg

3 hours ago, General Apathy said:

Hi Johan,  thanks, here's a better image from my files . . . . . . . .

Ken,

Amazing then and now pictures. What is the smaller vehicle to the right in the picture?

..Kat

We've been away for a few days in an area with unreliable internet connections.  So am quite happy to come back and find a spot-on Then and Now, and learned about a vehicle I hadn't heard of before.  It's good to be back. 

We spent a long weekend in the beautiful Yosemite Valley.  I didn't spot anything of the least bit of militaria interest until we were packing up to head home.  This jeep pulled up to the restaurant next door to our motel.  Sorry it isn't WWII vintage, and I'm not totally sure it is even military, but it's all I've got.  

Mikie 

Yosemite Jeep (1).jpg

Yosemite Jeep (2).jpg

Rene,

Bringing a package of stroopwaffels on trips has become a minor tradition with me since you compelled me to try them.  We spent a long weekend enjoying the wonders of Yosemite National Park.  A couple helped keep my energy up while battling the rugged hiking trails.  At one point, my dear wife Ana and Kiddo even tried one.  

And then on the way home, we passed by this place...https://www.oakdalecheese.com/

They have a large attractive sign posted in front advertising their delicious grilled Gouda cheese sandwiches.  I almost jumped out of the car as we drove by, but the place wasn't open at that hour.   I'll HAVE to stop there on our next trip that way.  

Mikie

Yosemite Stroopwaffel.jpg