Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Jeep grille recovery and repairs . . . . . . . .

A couple of months back I recovered a couple of Jeep grilles from a vehicle yard, I just wanted them as garden shed / barbecue wall hangers. The first one here is a genuine Willys MB grille, it had had the metal work chopped out between the main headlight and the small lower blackout light below, possibly for some larger light to be fitted or a post war light cluster from some other vehicle. My Jeep friend Peter has all the tools and know-how to replace the missing sections including the return on the edges of the pieces he fitted.

So When I have a little more time I need to clean the old paintwork back and refresh it with O.D. paint etc, and then decide where it will hang.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 15 2020.

.post-344-0-97917700-1584308572_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

A couple of months back I recovered a couple of Jeep grilles from a vehicle yard, I just wanted them as garden shed wall hangers. The second one here is a post war French Hotchkiss grille, the light surround on the top right edge has been crumpled in some RTA accident. My Jeep friend Peter has all the tools and know-how to heat and beat out the shape back to it's original configuration. .

When I have a little more time I will need to clean the old paintwork back and refresh it with O.D. paint etc, and then decide where it will hang.

I was hoping to get back to this yard and recover an old GMC grill I spotted but with the recent Coronavirus lock-downs then this might be some time before I get back there again, or make a garden seat-back out of it.

.post-344-0-10936200-1584309041_thumb.jpeg

Salvage Sailor

Hi Kat, yes the line of ships can be seen in several of the photos, I am not sure exactly how many were sunk to form the breakwater protecting the beach, interesting though to see how long it took to clear up the debris of war.

For those who have an interest in the Mullberrys and artificial breakwaters/harbors and associated craft utilized during the Invasion of Normandy, this is the book for you

The Far Shore by Admiral Edward Ellsberg (Interwar salvor of the S-4 & s-51, Senior salvage officer in the Mediterranean and European theater in WWII)

The story of the greatest invasion in history, as told by a master military engineer. USNA Class of 1914 (Naval History and Heritage Command Biography - Edward Ellsberg)
Thousands of men desperately struggling through the surf, blood spilling into the sea and mud, bullets whizzing by their ears - this is the Far Shore of Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944. Here, we see D-Day through the eyes of an experienced engineer, brought out of a brief retirement to help make this invasion and eventual Allied victory possible: Rear Admiral Edward Ellsberg.
The final book in Ellsberg's World War II trilogy, The Far Shore (Normandy 1944) takes the listener right up to the front lines. In Under the Red Sea Sun (East Africa, Massawa 1942) and No Banners, No Bugles (Operation Torch and the Mediterranean 1943), Rear Admiral Ellsberg cleaned up impressive wrecks in the Red Sea and North Africa. He answers the call to action despite his advancing age and failing heart, to once again do the impossible. Ellsberg is tasked with floating the artificial harbors that are key to Operation Overlord.
Ellsberg, a celebrated writer in addition to his gifts as a naval engineer, pulls no punches in this firsthand account of the preparations and bravery necessary to win on D-day.

Ellsberg Massawa 001.jpg

Ellsberg Alexandria 001.jpg

Ellsberg Normandy 001.jpg

Johan Willaert

Its been a while but Ive kept an eye on this thread.

Anyone know the location of this picture?

Just a quick hunch, I would say this is Arromanches?

The round wall in the photo is probably still there on the East side of the museum/parking lot and is also where one of the Mulberry harbor jetties connected to the shore…

The 'house' on the slope looks like it is still there, with two small steeples on top of it...

https://www.google.be/maps/@49.3400945,-0.6200926,3a,75y,97.48h,86.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siVV141tRKisB9QafWkzK0g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Just a quick hunch, I would say this is Arromanches?

The round wall in the photo is probably still there on the East side of the museum/parking lot and is also where one of the Mulberry harbor jetties connected to the shore…

The 'house' on the slope looks like it is still there, with two small steeples on top of it...

https://www.google.be/maps/@49.3400945,-0.6200926,3a,75y,97.48h,86.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1siVV141tRKisB9QafWkzK0g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I agree with you Johan!

post-20528-0-63450100-1584364983_thumb.jpg

Ken,

Great jeep grilles!! That is a jeep idea that I might be able to afford! Hahaha!

Show us pictures after you get them repaired and painted.

...Kat

Hi all, been fending off some flu symptoms lately which under normal circumstances would almost be not worth mentioning but today…………...anyway, it's been going a bit better so I have a bit of time participating again. Great entertaining posts lately.

So now to a question I have. Could this be considered one of the first forms of self-propelled artillery? ^_^

post-169612-0-16606200-1584469174_thumb.jpg

Rene

Hi all, been fending off some flu symptoms lately which under normal circumstances would almost be not worth mentioning but today...anyway, it's been going a bit better so I have a bit of time participating again. Great entertaining posts lately.

So now to a question I have. Could this be considered one of the first forms of self-propelled artillery? ^_^

Rene

Rene,

I sincerely hope you are feeling much better soon!

That is a great picture! I can only imagine how far it would push you when that small cannon is fired! Any background on the picture?

...Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

Every time you post pictures of jeeps it makes me want one so badly!!! I love your jeep posts almost as much as your then and now posts.

....Kat

Hi Kat, I found a Jeep for you, you might even know of the famous previous owner, I saw this at various UK shows over the years and its now finally up for auction again advertised on Milweb, check the link out for details of the Jeep and of the auction dates etc.

https://www.milweb.net/webvert/83666

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 17 2020.

.post-344-0-74833200-1584470410_thumb.jpeg

Ken,

Awesome jeep but way out of my price range! Hahahaha! I think the grille is about all I can afford!I'm

I wonder how much that jeep will get at auction.

...Kat

Rene,

I sincerely hope you are feeling much better soon!

That is a great picture! I can only imagine how far it would push you when that small cannon is fired! Any background on the picture?

...Kat

Maybe it was used to help going up hills?

Get well soon, Rene!

A couple of months back I recovered a couple of Jeep grilles from a vehicle yard, I just wanted them as garden shed wall hangers. The second one here is a post war French Hotchkiss grille, the light surround on the top right edge has been crumpled in some RTA accident. My Jeep friend Peter has all the tools and know-how to heat and beat out the shape back to it's original configuration. .

When I have a little more time I will need to clean the old paintwork back and refresh it with O.D. paint etc, and then decide where it will hang.

I was hoping to get back to this yard and recover an old GMC grill I spotted but with the recent Coronavirus lock-downs then this might be some time before I get back there again, or make a garden seat-back out of it.

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_46e4.jpeg

Sent

Jeepers creepers! Zombie jeep parts!

For those who have an interest in the Mullberrys and artificial breakwaters/harbors and associated craft utilized during the Invasion of Normandy, this is the book for you

The Far Shore by Admiral Edward Ellsberg (Interwar salvor of the S-4 & s-51, Senior salvage officer in the Mediterranean and European theater in WWII)

The story of the greatest invasion in history, as told by a master military engineer. USNA Class of 1914 (Naval History and Heritage Command Biography - Edward Ellsberg)
Thousands of men desperately struggling through the surf, blood spilling into the sea and mud, bullets whizzing by their ears - this is the Far Shore of Omaha Beach on June 6, 1944. Here, we see D-Day through the eyes of an experienced engineer, brought out of a brief retirement to help make this invasion and eventual Allied victory possible: Rear Admiral Edward Ellsberg.
The final book in Ellsberg's World War II trilogy, The Far Shore (Normandy 1944) takes the listener right up to the front lines. In Under the Red Sea Sun (East Africa, Massawa 1942) and No Banners, No Bugles (Operation Torch and the Mediterranean 1943), Rear Admiral Ellsberg cleaned up impressive wrecks in the Red Sea and North Africa. He answers the call to action despite his advancing age and failing heart, to once again do the impossible. Ellsberg is tasked with floating the artificial harbors that are key to Operation Overlord.
Ellsberg, a celebrated writer in addition to his gifts as a naval engineer, pulls no punches in this firsthand account of the preparations and bravery necessary to win on D-day.

Sounds like an interesting set of books. I'll add it to my want list.

Mikie

Just thought I'd check in to see if everyone is doing OK. My San Francisco Bay home area is on lockdown. Only essential travel outside of home is allowed until April 7. Hopefully they mean April 7 2020. My job isn't really work at home amenable but managed to load up the car with stuff to keep me busy the rest of the week. Weather turned chilly, damp and dreary just as all this came down so going outside isn't much fun. So far nobody here is ill that I know of. fingers crossed it stays that way.

Rene, since you mentioned you weren't feeling well, hope you are getting better.

I got some inspiration the other day by listening to some great speeches from Churchill, FDR and Truman from earlier times of adversity. Wish we has someone of that caliber leading us now.

Hope you all are well and taking care of yourselves.

Mikie

General Apathy

I've been hitting the alcohol this week . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi everyone reporting in that hey still here just not out and about. I have been self isolating since Monday, I took a last ride out in the Jeep on Sunday morning and drank coffee from a flask in the empty square at Ste Mere Eglise.

All bars, cafes and restaurants were closed down at midnight Saturday night preventing public gatherings, Monday the Government ordered everyone to stay in their house for two weeks. Tuesday morning a further ordnance was made for anyone wishing to travel outside their houses to download a form detailing their reasons to be away from their homes, such as medical reasons, necessary shopping. Anyone stopped by the Gendarmes without the required form or a legitimate reason would face fines of around 120 euros.

So I decided to hit the bottle, I bought three litre bottles of alcohol wipe for surfaces and hands, especially after reading of the tragic family from New Jersey. Reportedly they had a family gathering of twenty family members. Within days the eldest member of the family ( 73 ) died from the virus, three further members of her family have since died, four more in intensive care and the rest in medical isolation.

So I am wishing everyone my best wishes and hope for getting out the other side of this virus ( forget the Zombies, protect yourselves from virus germs )

I also found a nightly glass of gin is a good use of alcohol . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 21 2020.

.post-344-0-28130700-1584789958_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Salvage Sailor, thanks for all the information on the American version of the Mulberry Harbor, large archive of material has just been auctioned in the UK belonging to Colonel Vassal Charles Steer-Webster OBE who was instrumental in the concept and construction of the Mulberry Harbours.

" The extraordinary archive of one of the designers of the Mulberry Harbours that enabled the allied invasion of France in World War Two have now been seen for the first time after selling for an eye-watering £35,000.

Colonel Vassal Charles Steer-Webster OBE helped create the artificial harbours that were used to land thousands of troops, military vehicles and supplies, and greatly aided Winston Churchill in the nation's hour of need. "

( from an article written for the Mail newspaper, Danny Gallagher, 20 March 2020 )

.post-344-0-89041700-1584794154_thumb.jpeg

Johan Willaert

All bars, cafes and restaurants were closed down at midnight Saturday night preventing public gatherings, Monday the Government ordered everyone to stay in their house for two weeks. Tuesday morning a further ordnance was made for anyone wishing to travel outside their houses to download a form detailing their reasons to be away from their homes, such as medical reasons, necessary shopping. Anyone stopped by the Gendarmes without the required form or a legitimate reason would face fines of around 120 euros.

Pretty much same as here.... Everything closed down and maximum work from home...

So what does one do??? Well cleaning, prepping and painting Jeep parts is a way to fill the days....

All of these F marked bolts are from the rear axle....

Hope to see you in June, Ken, but actually doubt it will have cleared up by then....

Stay safe everyone...

post-92-0-21590600-1584796914_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Salvage Sailor, thanks for all the information on the American version of the Mulberry Harbor, large archive of material has just been auctioned in the UK belonging to Colonel Vassal Charles Steer-Webster OBE who was instrumental in the concept and construction of the Mulberry Harbours.

" The extraordinary archive of one of the designers of the Mulberry Harbours that enabled the allied invasion of France in World War Two have now been seen for the first time after selling for an eye-watering £35,000.

Colonel Vassal Charles Steer-Webster OBE helped create the artificial harbours that were used to land thousands of troops, military vehicles and supplies, and greatly aided Winston Churchill in the nation's hour of need. "

( from an article written for the Mail newspaper, Danny Gallagher, 20 March 2020 )

Youtube video clip of the Mulberry harbor, 13 minutes . . . . .

General Apathy

Youtube video clip of the differences experienced between the British and American Mulberry's 4minutes . . . . .

sadly the American harbor wasn't anchored well to the sea-floor and the harbor was wrecked and lost by a channel storm, the British harbour survived the storm and operated for ten months. Good documentary well narrated.

General Apathy

Pretty much same as here.... Everything closed down and maximum work from home...

So what does one do??? Well cleaning, prepping and painting Jeep parts is a way to fill the days....

All of these F marked bolts are from the rear axle....

Hope to see you in June, Ken, but actually doubt it will have cleared up by then....

Stay safe everyone...

Hi Johan, good to hear from you, hope all the family are safe . . . . . . . . .

Nice set of ' F ' axle bolts, I love good old Ford marked stuff especially WWII fabricated.

Lets pray for an end to this pandemic before June, not hopeful though . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-42587900-1584799742_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Pieter, thanks for the image you posted, agree with Johan that it's Arromanches, heres a shot of the same curved wall from a different direction.

.post-344-0-91155400-1584802019_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-09423000-1584802072_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Pieter, thanks for the image you posted, agree with Johan that it's Arromanches, heres a shot showing the same two buildings over on the left that Johan mentions, and your curved wall beach exit would be over on the right.

.post-344-0-91956300-1584802571_thumb.jpeg

.post-344-0-15923700-1584802606_thumb.jpeg

Ken and Johan,

So glad both of you are doing well.

Great pictures of the harbor, jeep parts and all sorts of great updates. I have always found the Ford parts with the F so interesting. I am sure they are highly sought after by a restorer. Both of you always post such amazing jeep parts and information. When the two of you get together, it must be the greatest amount of trivial jeep knowledge in one place!

...Kat

General Apathy

Ken and Johan,

So glad both of you are doing well.

Great pictures of the harbor, jeep parts and all sorts of great updates. I have always found the Ford parts with the F so interesting. I am sure they are highly sought after by a restorer. Both of you always post such amazing jeep parts and information. When the two of you get together, it must be the greatest amount of trivial jeep knowledge in one place!

...Kat

Hi Kat, Johan usually arrives here with several friends and it's always fun to take beer and possibly have a meal together when they sit still for an hour. They usually try to cover so much in so few days they are like buzzing bee's around the honey-pots . . . . . at the military fares trying to grab the goodies and spares they need for their projects. :lol: