Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Sent

That is truly astounding! And we are just talking footwear here. It's so mind boggling, I can't come up with a clever pun about it.

Mikie

Amazing! These numbers will knock your socks off! (Probably not too clever!)

Boots procurement during WWII . . . . . . . . . .

ok so I had a few minutes to dig out this official historical reference regarding total numbers of boots produced in WWII and it appears that total production of all styles amounts to 145,563,000 thats 145,563 Million.

When reading the numbers in the chart please note that it states the totals shown are in thousands, which requires three zeros added to each total to upgrade the number into millions.

( production of all types of socks amounts to 519 Million ????? , 551 million pounds of apple used ???? )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 03 2020

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_457c.jpeg

Ken, Are these just specialty boots? I don't see the double buckle boots listed. Thanks for sharing this info!

General Apathy

' Old Glory ' . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Today I finally demounted Old Glory from above my front door which I had placed there in 2019 for the 75th commemorations and memories of the servicemen of WWII, it lasted well given all the rain and winds these past months . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 06 2020

.post-344-0-29585400-1583508033_thumb.jpeg

You put your best foot forward with that one!

OK, I feel better now.

Mikie

' Old Glory ' . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Today I finally demounted Old Glory from above my front door which I had placed there in 2019 for the 75th commemorations and memories of the servicemen of WWII, it lasted well given all the rain and winds these past months . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 06 2020

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_4583.jpeg

It's still beautiful! Nice photo!

General Apathy

USAAF 398th reunion . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Just received these two photos from Tudor ( 1st left standing ) which I have never seen before. Taken at a 398th USAAF reunion at Duxford air museum ( no date possibly late 80’s early 90’s ). Front row kneeling Brett, Lewis, Christian, Perry. Eight of us had taken a display of WWII uniform and equipment to display for these veterans, as the coaches rolled into the car park I was tasked by the museum director with giving an unrehearsed speech for the veterans & wives. . . . . . . . . . . a memorable day for us collectors.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 07 2020

.post-344-0-45427700-1583591504_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Taken at a 398th USAAF reunion at Duxford air museum ( no date possibly late 80’s early 90’s ). Front row kneeling Brett, Lewis, Christian, Perry. Eight of us had taken a display of WWII uniform and equipment to display for these veterans, as the coaches rolled into the car park I was tasked by the museum director with giving an unrehearsed speech for the veterans & wives. . . . . . . . . . . a memorable day for us collectors.

.post-344-0-95157100-1583591659_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Ken,

This collection is amazing and museum worthy!!

So very sorry to hear about the cancer diagnosis in your family. I know first hand how hard that can be.

...Kat

Hi Kat, many thanks for the kind thoughts, I hope that you and other family - relations are strong and healthy.

General Apathy

Is that horse German army issue? It looks like it's in great shape for being 75 years old.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, in fact the horse is older he was already ten years old in 1944, making him eighty-five :lol:

General Apathy

Adding my sympathy.

Mikie

Thanks Mikie for your thoughts and also friends Robert and Rene who contacted me directly. ;)

General Apathy

Hi all, yesterday evening, in front of our town hall in Venlo, the 75th commemoration of the liberation of the region Limburg and especially Venlo was held and I have to say it was quite impressive. It was also televised live and hopefully the added link works. I'm fully aware that most of you can't inderstand what's being said but some of the pictures, films and special effects convey the message very well in my opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/L1mburg/videos/193929445260605/

Rene

Hi Rene, many thanks once again for helping to fill in the vacant posts and keeping the forum interest rolling. Nice shots and the shots of the town hall bring back memories of the times I have rolled into Venlo with military vehicles and enjoying the friendliness and warmth of the Dutch people.

General Apathy

Sent

That is truly astounding! And we are just talking footwear here. It's so mind boggling, I can't come up with a clever pun about it.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, possibly a good idea that you didn't manage a pun, you could well have put your foot in it . . . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

That is an awesome statistic Ken! Great detective work as always!

Cheers Graham

Hi Graham, thanks enjoy sharing if I can . . . . . . . . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Erick, you are darn well right, ( darn/socks oh ok forget it . . . . . . . . ) :huh:

General Apathy

Ken, Are these just specialty boots? I don't see the double buckle boots listed. Thanks for sharing this info!

Hi Erick, this is were we might have to consider if the procurement department just listed them under ' Shoes, Service, All Types, Men ', as double-buckle, twin-buckle, two-buckle boots are more of a collectors description for that buckle style boot . . . . . There are over 75 million boots stated under ' Shoes, Service, All types ' that is surely way to many for just ankle style boots.

General Apathy

And as a side note, does anyone have a pair of the "Shoes, Russian (War Aid)" in their collection?

Hi Erick, as well as the boots there is listed 334,976 sets of EE-8A Field Phone ( Russian Type ), also 19 & 48 radio sets for the British . . . . . . . .

​Interesting I just spotted that there are 15, 747, 000 TL-122 Flashlights listed, so that must cover A's, B's, C's . . . . . . . . . . .

Erick, you are darn well right, ( darn/socks oh ok forget it . . . . . . . . ) :huh:

Ken, that pun was just sew sew! ?

General Apathy

Ken, that pun was just sew sew! ?

Erick, I think you just pulled yourself out a hole there with just a stitch in time before the puns finish for the current footwear portion of this thread . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I used to work long and unsociable hours in a shoe recycling factory....... however it was sole destroying!

Erick, I think you just pulled yourself out a hole there with just a stitch in time before the puns finish for the current footwear portion of this thread . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I used to work long and unsociable hours in a shoe recycling factory....... however it was sole destroying!

Ken, I know you have had many jobs over the years, but the shoe recycling sounds like the worst. I heard your boss was a real heel!

Taken at a 398th USAAF reunion at Duxford air museum ( no date possibly late 80’s early 90’s ). Front row kneeling Brett, Lewis, Christian, Perry. Eight of us had taken a display of WWII uniform and equipment to display for these veterans, as the coaches rolled into the car park I was tasked by the museum director with giving an unrehearsed speech for the veterans & wives. . . . . . . . . . . a memorable day for us collectors.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_45dd.jpeg

Hi Ken, an absolutely great picture. I can surely understand it being a memorable day.

Rene

Complications experienced by the Quartermaster Corp in WWII . . . . . . . . .

Take a look at this photo and the complexity of equipping soldiers in WWII becomes apparent. Eight sizes across and six widths down in each size, forty-eight individual sizes in this shot.

Now to make this more complex multiple all this again by maybe ten or twelve different styles of footwear, Shoes low ankle dress, Boots ankle, boots paratroop, Boots sheepskin flying, Over-Boots waterproof, Boots rubberised, Boots Mukluks, Boots ski, etc, etc . . . . . . . . . . .
( This is a quick appraisal based on the number of partitions in this wartime quartermasters shot, I haven't had time to consult my records before posting. )
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 03 2020

More chance of being wrong-footed, I guess

Rene

General Apathy

Lets have a little fun / todays find /what do I have . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I have wondered for forty years or so whether I would ever find or see the contents of one of these cartons. Well today I found this carton at a military fare there were a few pieces left in the damaged carton, looks like a barn find, not certain what the correct number should have been. The carton is about 18 inches in length, it is waterproofed .

For the observant collector then between this and the photo in the following post there is a clue on the package as to what the contents are, even though the package is badly aged and damaged.
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 08 2020
.post-344-0-84523100-1583676965_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Lets have a little fun / todays find /what do I have . . . . . . . . . . . . .

For the observant collector then between this and the photo in the previous post there is a clue on the package as to what the contents are, even though the package is badly aged and damaged. I guessed what I would find in the carton by the clue on the outside of the package, the dealer didn't know what he had.
Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 08 2020
.post-344-0-54324700-1583677236_thumb.jpeg

I feel like a real heel not joining in on the shoe puns. Been fighting off a cold (yes, just a cold). It makes me feel better to see you all marching on without me.

I felt so bad the other evening that I fell asleep on the sofa while reading, about 7PM. Something I rarely do. Woke up about 10 and groggy, sleepy and miserable, went to brush my teeth. I was at it about a minute before realizing I wasn't brushing my teeth afterall. I was shaving. After they finished laughing their butts off when I told this to my lovely family, they attributed it to a senior moment, but I'll blame the cold.

Mikie