Norman D. Landing

bilko1

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . . .

I just added this pair of fairly rare enamelled insignia to a fellow members thread enquiring about 8th Airforce insignia. The thread can be found at this link here.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/335629-was-there-a-dui-for-the-usaaf-8th-bomber-command/?p=2700159

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 06 2019.

Ken,

This insignia is beautiful! I have never seen these items. I love your shoebox!!

Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

This insignia is beautiful! I have never seen these items. I love your shoebox!!

Kat

Hi Kat, many thanks, pleased that over the years you have enjoyed seeing items from the shoebox. . . . . . . . . . .

The thread that I added these 8th Air-Force insignia to was related to DUI insignia identical to SSI being used on jacket collars. All of the DUi's in the attached photo are copied from SSI for the various units, it's believed that they were not either totally approved or authorised for wear, however they could be purchased privately from the various PX stores. A portion of the DUI's below are still on the manufacturers display cards, all these enamelled insignia came from the manufacturers abandoned display stocks when production ceased, each unit identification is typed below the insignia using a mechanical typewriter, sadly a lot of the cards fell apart from age and storage.

Forum member ' Patches ' has a very interesting thread running showing servicemen actually using this type of DUI featuring SSI patch designs.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/171731-post-the-patch-type-crest-being-worn/

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 09 2019.

.post-344-0-80033200-1575930755_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Ken,

These are great! Are all of these from your shoebox?

I really like the link you shared too. Great stuff!...Kat

Hi Kat, yes, I forgot to add mention of the shoebox, being a large 15E these were hidden in the dark recess of a corner, they were all made by the same manufacturer and pinned to a sales board in their sales room which was abandoned when they finished production. Going back many years when I started collecting it was fun contacting wartime manufacturers and asking if they had abandoned stock that they would like to clear. I got several hundred Acme whistles from the Acme company in the UK, some of the whistles had Acme on the throat and American companies they made for and supplied in the US, such as Gemsco, Rawlings and others. I also acquired from another manufacturer unfinished glider wings and jump wings in brass without the silver plate top coat, I will try and dip in the shoebox and photograph some of these later.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 10 2019.

Hi Kat, many thanks, pleased that over the years you have enjoyed seeing items from the shoebox. . . . . . . . . . .

The thread that I added these 8th Air-Force insignia to was related to DUI insignia identical to SSI being used on jacket collars. All of the DUi's in the attached photo are copied from SSI for the various units, it's believed that they were not either totally approved or authorised for wear, however they could be purchased privately from the various PX stores. A portion of the DUI's below are still on the manufacturers display cards, all these enamelled insignia came from the manufacturers abandoned display stocks when production ceased, each unit identification is typed below the insignia using a mechanical typewriter, sadly a lot of the cards fell apart from age and storage.

Forum member ' Patches ' has a very interesting thread running showing servicemen actually using this type of DUI featuring SSI patch designs.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/171731-post-the-patch-type-crest-being-worn/

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 09 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_3247.jpeg

Hi Ken, great stuff. I like these 'smalls' for what they are and as an added bonus they don't take up too much space…...I have several myself and here's one on an overseas cap.

post-169612-0-79459300-1575995617_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, great stuff. I like these 'smalls' for what they are and as an added bonus they don't take up too much space…...I have several myself and here's one on an overseas cap.

attachicon.gifSAM_3171a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, pleased to see that you have an example of a SSI in the form of a 4th Div DUI, nice cap as well, if the cap fits wear it, does it fit . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 11 2019.

General Apathy

The Shoebox lives!

Hi Mikie, there are still a few small knick-knacks in the dark recesses . . . . . . . . .

These are examples of WWII manufacturing items I mentioned a couple of posts back, abandoned when demand fell at the end of the war or such . . . . . . the wings were certainly never finished by silver plating them.

.post-344-0-32436200-1576098630_thumb.jpeg

Ken,

"Smalls" are my favorite things to collect! There can be such beauty and variety even in the smallest of items to collect!

These you posted are great!!

...Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

"Smalls" are my favorite things to collect! There can be such beauty and variety even in the smallest of items to collect!

These you posted are great!!

...Kat

Hi Kat, I was in a junk/flea/antique store today and found this item tucked away behind a free-standing closet. He stands about 110 centimetres tall ( for comparison that's a large size M65 jacket on the hook behind him ), he's quite heavy, well detailed, well painted, I get the feeling it's some sort of advertising display as there is a small hole in his clenched fist to secure an item or something.

Anyone seen another of one of these anywhere, anyone know if it was an advertising mannequin as it appears it might have some age to it. ??? I found this in a town here where there used to be a vintage and denim US clothing store, all the store was decorated with vintage US pieces and thinking about it this might be where this came from as the store closed down a year or so ago. For me it was priced at the price that said ' take me home with you '.

When the store was operating there was another similar display piece that I really-really wanted, it was based on a WWII Saturday evening post photo, of a group of soldiers following a recruit in blue denims carrying a parcel of cake he had received from his mother, I posted the photograph of the Saturday Evening post cover several pages back.

.post-344-0-80861200-1576276813.jpeg

General Apathy

Store advertising display . . . . . . . . .

When the store was operating there was another similar display piece that I really-really wanted, it was based on a WWII Saturday evening post photo, of a group of soldiers following a recruit in blue denims carrying a parcel of cake he had received from his mother, I posted the photograph of the Saturday Evening post cover several pages back, here it is again attached below.

.post-344-0-09381300-1576277817.jpg

Hi Kat, I was in a junk/flea/antique store today and found this item tucked away behind a free-standing closet. He stands about 110 centimetres tall ( for comparison that's a large size M65 jacket on the hook behind him ), he's quite heavy, well detailed, well painted, I get the feeling it's some sort of advertising display as there is a small hole in his clenched fist to secure an item or something.

Anyone seen another of one of these anywhere, anyone know if it was an advertising mannequin as it appears it might have some age to it. ??? I found this in a town here where there used to be a vintage and denim US clothing store, all the store was decorated with vintage US pieces and thinking about it this might be where this came from as the store closed down a year or so ago. For me it was priced at the price that said ' take me home with you '.

When the store was operating there was another similar display piece that I really-really wanted, it was based on a WWII Saturday evening post photo, of a group of soldiers following a recruit in blue denims carrying a parcel of cake he had received from his mother, I posted the photograph of the Saturday Evening post cover several pages back.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_33e3.jpeg

Finally, a rare occasion when I can help with something here! There is an old phrase "Cigar store Indian", which I have not heard in many moons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigar_store_Indian

Heap nice catch!

Mikie

When the store was operating there was another similar display piece that I really-really wanted, it was based on a WWII Saturday evening post photo, of a group of soldiers following a recruit in blue denims carrying a parcel of cake he had received from his mother, I posted the photograph of the Saturday Evening post cover several pages back, here it is again attached below.

.attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

I love that picture. I'm still giggling from the last time you posted it!

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_33e3.jpeg

Hi Ken, that's a very beautiful statue. It seems he is holding somekind of a bag with (what looks like) patches on it. Maybe they can provide a clue? But I think I'm going with Mikie's answer. It was the first thing that popped into my head too.

Rene

.attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

Well, life's batter with cake...……. -_-

Rene

General Apathy

Finally, a rare occasion when I can help with something here! There is an old phrase "Cigar store Indian", which I have not heard in many moons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigar_store_Indian

Heap nice catch!

Mikie

Hi Mikie ( AKA Two-Dogs ) you don't speak with a forked tongue, you're right that its a Cigar Store Indian . . . . . . . . . .

I was hoping that someone might recognise the brand of cigar / tobacco that it advertised or even the artist who designed this sculpture, I can't find anything on line about it.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 15 2019.

General Apathy

Victory museum and restaurant, Carentan . . . . . . . .

Saturday evening Jane and I went for an evening meal at the Victory museum on the outskirts of Carentan. I thought that forum readers would enjoy seeing this wall, It's actually a very artistic painting representing a damaged wall, all the red bricks are hand painted, the plaster and the logo ' Victory ', only the tables are real in front of the painted wall and the objects on the shelf attached to the wall.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 16 2019.

.post-344-0-61899600-1576514342_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

British reflection on last weeks Parliamentary election results . . . . . .

Apologies if any of my American cousins have not been following the ongoing saga of the UK leaving the European Union ruled from Brussels, apologies again if Brussels sprouts are not a traditional vegetable used for Christmas lunch in America as here in Europe. Well here goes.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 17 2019.

.post-344-0-82827000-1576574406.jpeg

Apologies if any of my American cousins have not been following the ongoing saga of the UK leaving the European Union ruled from Brussels, apologies again if Brussels sprouts are not a traditional vegetable used for Christmas lunch in America as here in Europe. Well here goes.

.attachicon.gif20191217_080240.jpeg

love it. Sorry Johan

.attachicon.gif20191217_080240.jpeg

love it. Sorry Johan

Victory museum and restaurant, Carentan . . . . . . . .

Saturday evening Jane and I went for an evening meal at the Victory museum on the outskirts of Carentan. I thought that forum readers would enjoy seeing this wall, It's actually a very artistic painting representing a damaged wall, all the red bricks are hand painted, the plaster and the logo ' Victory ', only the tables are real in front of the painted wall and the objects on the shelf attached to the wall.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, December 16 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_349b.jpeg

Great wall art...…. and they probably will continue to serve those sprouts :)

Rene

If the British are forced to eat Brussels sprouts from being part of the EU, then Brexit makes perfect sense. While I've had them prepared in ways that were quite good, in general I am not a big fan of them.

But all I really know about Britain and the EU I learned from watching Yes, Minister...

Mikie

General Apathy

Uniform used in films . . . . . . . . .

last night I watched an old black & white movie ' To have & have not ' 1944, Humphrey Bogart, Walter Brennan and Lauren Bacall.

Filmed in 1944 two of the lead characters can be seen wearing early 1940's US Army blue denim pieces. So I have to ask myself the question were the blue denim fatigue uniforms already being sold as surplus prior to wars end. The blue denim is prevalent in early war training photographs such as the Louisiana manoeuvres, but not in later war photographs generally only in POW photos.

Seen here is Walter Brennan wearing a first pattern three button pull-over the head smock type jacket, with two large chest pockets, the front of the jacket has been cut down the front from below the third button to the bottom edge for ease of putting on. Notice the button hole placket ends just to the right of the white shirt button, notice also the aluminium US Army button on his left cuff.

.post-344-0-53533100-1576621519.jpeg

General Apathy

Uniform used in films . . . . . . . . .

last night I watched an old black & white movie ' To have & have not ' 1944, Humphrey Bogart, Walter Brennan and Lauren Bacall.

Filmed in 1944 two of the lead characters can be seen wearing early 1940's US Army blue denim pieces. So I have to ask myself the question were the blue denim fatigue uniforms already being sold as surplus prior to wars end. The blue denim is prevalent in early war training photographs such as the Louisiana manoeuvres, but not in later war photographs generally only in POW photos.

Seen here is Humphrey Bogart wearing a second pattern pair of denim jeans, it has large rear patch pockets, large front patch pockets with pocket entrance at the top below the waist band. The first pattern has the same pocket characteristics with a two piece cinch belt above the two rear pockets, the pair Bogarts is wearing does not have this cinch belt. ( apologies I couldn't find a better shot of the jeans Bogart can be seen wearing )

​The third pattern has internal pockets and side entrance like conventional trousers, and rear patch pockets.

.post-344-0-01298100-1576622120.jpeg