Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Heavy rains and flooding in my old hometown of Utica, New York a week or so back. And then snow and freezing temperatures. It seems to be either too little wet stuff or too much. Hope you won't need to trade in the jeep for a DUKW.

I hate to keep harping on the Milpitas Monster movie, and won't anymore. But I just discovered a connection to D-Day. The movie's narrator was famous voice actor Paul Frees, who volunteered his services for the film. I can't find any details, but he landed in Normandy on D-Day and was wounded at some point. He also dubbed the voice of Admiral Yamamoto in the old Midway movie. And topping it all for me, he did the voice of Boris Badinov in one of my absolute favorite kids cartoons, the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show!

General Apathy

Heavy rains and flooding in my old hometown of Utica, New York a week or so back. And then snow and freezing temperatures. It seems to be either too little wet stuff or too much. Hope you won't need to trade in the jeep for a DUKW.

Hi Mikie, well the damp weather hasn't finished with us yet, we seem to be getting various amounts of rainfall each day, another shot I took Sunday of the raised level close to the milk dairy in Chef du Pont . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 18 2019

.post-344-0-40357800-1574073687_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

I hate to keep harping on the Milpitas Monster movie, and won't anymore. But I just discovered a connection to D-Day. The movie's narrator was famous voice actor Paul Frees, who volunteered his services for the film. I can't find any details, but he landed in Normandy on D-Day and was wounded at some point. He also dubbed the voice of Admiral Yamamoto in the old Midway movie. And topping it all for me, he did the voice of Boris Badinov in one of my absolute favorite kids cartoons, the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show!

Hi Mikie, well as you keep harping on about the Milpitas Monster movie here's another WWII connection you have overlooked your monster is wearing a WWII US Navy Mk III or IV gas mask . . . . . . :lol::lol::lol:

.post-344-0-29787000-1574074319_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

I seen a tomato crush a car today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tell me Owen would this be the one you saw, ( or maybe the one you threw ) . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

.post-344-0-14362500-1574074830_thumb.jpg

PG&E, our Northern California power utility company is warning they may have to shut off power to large sections of the state again this week to prevent winds from knocking down power lines and starting fires in the bone dry vegetation around the towers. This after years and years of spending specifically designated maintenance funds on everything from executive bonuses, shareholder dividends, and bribes to the State regulators, but little to do actual maintenance. OK, sorry, rant over.

Hi Mikie, well as you keep harping on about the Milpitas Monster movie here's another WWII connection you have overlooked your monster is wearing a WWII US Navy Mk III or IV gas mask . . . . . . :lol::lol::lol:

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2dac.jpeg

I've been wondering about that mask but haven't gotten around to looking it up yet. Now I don't have to. Thanks! I don't have one of those masks, but I do have one of those bags! Very handy to carry stuff in.

Mikie

tell me Owen would this be the one you saw, ( or maybe the one you threw ) . . . . . . . . . . . . :huh:

.attachicon.gif2844674ba10ffdd70e91eab9da50277d.jpg

I don't mean to get saucy, but that is a very slow car. In traffic, it is always trying to catch-up to the other cars.

Mikie

I don't mean to get saucy, but that is a very slow car. In traffic, it is always trying to catch-up to the other cars.

Mikie

We need a groan emoji.....hahahahaha!!! Just kidding!!!

...Kat

Hi Mikie, well the damp weather hasn't finished with us yet, we seem to be getting various amounts of rainfall each day, another shot I took Sunday of the raised level close to the milk dairy in Chef du Pont . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ken,

Y'all have really been getting some rain!! I hope it dries out before the really cold weather sets in.

...Kat

About 10 minutes ago it started raining like crazy here. There's no rain forecast for this part of the state at all. If you sent some of your rain this way, thanks! Hope this means all you folks get some sunshine in exchange.

i attended a small militaria show just up the street on Saturday. This truck was parked outside. I was not able to locate the owner to ask about it so figured I'd post it here for your interest and pleasure. From what little digging I did, it's a 1941 GMC. Though you folks on here probably knew that at a glance. Enjoy!

post-2687-0-28955000-1574269933.jpg

post-2687-0-35099200-1574269948.jpg

General Apathy

i attended a small militaria show just up the street on Saturday. This truck was parked outside. I was not able to locate the owner to ask about it so figured I'd post it here for your interest and pleasure. From what little digging I did, it's a 1941 GMC. Though you folks on here probably knew that at a glance. Enjoy!

attachicon.gif1941 navy truck Front.jpg

attachicon.gif1941 Navy truck rear.jpg

Hi Mikie, very nice report and photo's, just quickly change the description to 1941 Chevrolet before Johan reads your post . . . . .. :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 20 2019

Hi Mikie, very nice report and photo's, just quickly change the description to 1941 Chevrolet before Johan reads your post . . . . .. :lol:

Too funny!

Mikie, very nice truck! Looks like it was restored very nicely!!

Kat

It was a typo!

post-2687-0-36443500-1574278972.gif

General Apathy

attachicon.gif1941 navy truck Front.jpg

attachicon.gif1941 Navy truck rear.jpg

Hi Mikie, variations of the model Chevrolet that you featured were used early WWII by the Long Range Desert Group ( LRDG ) in North Africa, here's a trio of New Zealanders that made a copy of a Chevrolet LRDG truck.

http://www.desert-vehicles.org/index.php?article_id=232

Hi Mikie, variations of the model Chevrolet that you featured were used early WWII by the Long Range Desert Group ( LRDG ) in North Africa, here's a trio of New Zealanders that made a copy of a Chevrolet LRDG truck.

http://www.desert-vehicles.org/index.php?article_id=232

These are going to be the flavor of the month soon I bet.

Needs a good 8th Army rat painted on it.

owen

General Apathy

Today's find . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I visited a recycling yard today to buy a couple of 1,000 litre storage butts, these are one-trip one-use containers used in the food industry and the yard sells them for a third of the price of new unused ones, they are only to be used in the garden for roof rainwater during the summer. ^_^

While there I had a look around the place and spotted these Sherman tracks they were one of the first things I saw, then scattered around the yard were small groups of PSP airfield matting, and I also spotted about twenty German barbed wire stakes. :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 23 2019

.post-344-0-88489200-1574523571.jpeg

General Apathy

did you take it all home for the shoebox?

Hi Robert, no I didn't grab it for the shoebox, however I know where they are should I reconsider . . . . . .

Instead I did grab this item for the shoebox today . . . . . . trying to get a full set of dates for the wartime period, it has some original paint and I have given it quick rub over with a piece of material and heating oil.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 24 2019

.post-344-0-33924500-1574599934_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Yes! Did you take it all home? Those Sherman tracks would look great in your party room out back!

...Kat

Hi Kat, problem is everyone would keep tripping over the thing if it were on the floor and its too heavy for a ceiling mount in the party shack . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 24 2019