Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Love the naked woman painted on the plane.

Hi Owen, at the time of the photo I posted of us in flying coveralls the Sally-B was late war polished metal appearance, since then she has been in the earlier war o.d. paint scheme still with the flying lady decal .. . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 15 2019

.post-344-0-42434700-1573810272_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Then & Now of a different kind . . . . . . . . . . here's the Then.

during WWII my parents were teenagers had to learn to make the most of everything they could get, and several uses were made from most things, while growing up I learnt pretty much a lot of their recycling skills which helped me understand other things such as mechanics and repairs, and adapting . . . . . . . ^_^

So here is today's Then . . . . . . a 1Ltr container of bleach from the local supermarket in a plastic bottle.

p.s. the garden table-top is recycled from a wartime German 200 Ltr fuel barrel . . . . . . . . ;)

.post-344-0-04164200-1573830181_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Then & Now of a different kind . . . . . . . . . . here's the Now, helping to recycle and prevent land-fill and ending up in the worlds oceans.

during WWII my parents were teenagers had to learn to make the most of everything they could get, and several uses were made from most things, while growing up I learnt pretty much a lot of their recycling skills which helped me understand other things such as mechanics and repairs, and adapting . . . . . . . ^_^

So here is today's Now . . . . . . the cut down bodies of two 1Ltr bleach containers used in the fridge to prevent drips from the milk bottles staining and smelling the fridge out, easy to washout regularly . . . . . . . . .

I also use more of these cut down bodies for sewing seeds or plant cuttings to give them a start before replanting into the garden.

.post-344-0-98391600-1573830595.jpeg

General Apathy

Then & Now of a different kind . . . . . . . . . . here's the Now, helping to recycle and prevent land-fill and ending up in the worlds oceans.

So here is today's Now . . . . . . the cut down top and handle of a 1Ltr bleach container used as a pooper-scooper for the poo left in my garden by feral farm cats . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-84658900-1573830875_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

during WWII my parents were teenagers and had to learn to make the most of everything they could get, and several uses were made from most things, while growing up I learnt pretty much a lot of their recycling skills which helped me understand other things such as mechanics and repairs, and adapting . . . . . . . ^_^

So here is today's Now . . . . . . the cut off top of a 1Ltr bleach bottle used as a funnel for adding oil to my Jeep and car engines . . . . . . . B)

.post-344-0-17128000-1573831103.jpeg

Ken ,

Whaats the name of the late 1970s UK show that had it taking off at the start ?

WW2 drama show .

I forget.

Thats another cool naked lady ......or shes probably NOT a lady bing naked on the side of a fortress...

owen

Ken ,

Whaats the name of the late 1970s UK show that had it taking off at the start ?

WW2 drama show .

I forget.

Thats another cool naked lady ......or shes probably NOT a lady bing naked on the side of a fortress...

owen

I think it was 'we'll meet again' with Susannah York. Was filmed at West Malling airfield in Kent near my parents farm. I remember Sally-B flying around during the making as a kid...!

Hi Owen, at the time of the photo I posted of us in flying coveralls the Sally-B was late war polished metal appearance, since then she has been in the earlier war o.d. paint scheme still with the flying lady decal .. . . . . . . ^_^

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2d4c.jpeg

Hi Ken, it looks this is at Duxford?

A few years back when I was there the Sally-B had a split personality………

post-169612-0-37170000-1573849083_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-91819700-1573849103_thumb.jpg

Rene

Since custom t-shirts were mentioned a few posts back, thought I'd share one I just made for myself last month. I wore it to a showing of a movie I've been wanting to see for 35 years, The Milpitas Monster.

post-2687-0-32168500-1573854561.jpg

It's a 1975 ultra low budget movie about a 50 foot tall mutant creature created by toxic waste in the Milpitas, California city dump. Milpitas is just outside San Jose and has an unfortunate reputation of being a bit ummmm...aromatic. The film features bad acting, cheap special effects, a lousy story, and in absolute terms is just a really bad movie. Until you take into account by who and how it was made. A high school arts project that, like the Monster, grew out of all proportions. Then it suddenly becomes one of the greatest films ever. I loved it.

https://archives.sfweekly.com/exhibitionist/2012/10/25/the-milpitas-monster-the-best-low-budget-horror-flick-youve-never-seen

I finally got to see the film, and get attacked by the Monster, at a rare showing on Halloween Eve. My shirt got lots of laughs.

post-2687-0-72573200-1573854838_thumb.jpg

All in all a very fun evening.

It has become my ambition to try to find the filming locations and do my own Then and Now.

Milpitas has changed a lot since the film was made, but some things never change. It still sometimes has a certain air about it.

Mikie

during WWII my parents were teenagers and had to learn to make the most of everything they could get, and several uses were made from most things, while growing up I learnt pretty much a lot of their recycling skills which helped me understand other things such as mechanics and repairs, and adapting . . . . . . . ^_^

So here is today's Now . . . . . . the cut off top of a 1Ltr bleach bottle used as a funnel for adding oil to my Jeep and car engines . . . . . . . B)

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_2d65.jpeg

Now I want to go out and buy lots of bleach!

I think it was 'we'll meet again' with Susannah York. Was filmed at West Malling airfield in Kent near my parents farm. I remember Sally-B flying around during the making as a kid...!

MD

Thats it !!!

Thanks

I just looked it up on youtube !!

It was 1982 !!1

Ah the old days !!

owen

General Apathy

Hi Ken, it looks this is at Duxford?

A few years back when I was there the Sally-B had a split personality………

attachicon.gifDSC_1230a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_1233a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, the split personality came about during filming for the 1990 movie ' Memphis Belle ' it played the part of the Belle always shot from the right, and as a secondary B-17 it was always seen from a distance while retaining the Sally-B painting. Friends and myself provided Jeeps and clothing promotion outside the theatre on the night of the UK premier.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 16 2019

General Apathy

Since custom t-shirts were mentioned a few posts back, thought I'd share one I just made for myself last month. I wore it to a showing of a movie I've been wanting to see for 35 years, The Milpitas Monster.

attachicon.gifMM TShirt.jpg

It's a 1975 ultra low budget movie about a 50 foot tall mutant creature created by toxic waste in the Milpitas, California city dump. Milpitas is just outside San Jose and has an unfortunate reputation of being a bit ummmm...aromatic. The film features bad acting, cheap special effects, a lousy story, and in absolute terms is just a really bad movie. Until you take into account by who and how it was made. A high school arts project that, like the Monster, grew out of all proportions. Then it suddenly becomes one of the greatest films ever. I loved it.

https://archives.sfweekly.com/exhibitionist/2012/10/25/the-milpitas-monster-the-best-low-budget-horror-flick-youve-never-seen

I finally got to see the film, and get attacked by the Monster, at a rare showing on Halloween Eve. My shirt got lots of laughs.

attachicon.gifMM and Me 2.jpg

All in all a very fun evening.

It has become my ambition to try to find the filming locations and do my own Then and Now.

Milpitas has changed a lot since the film was made, but some things never change. It still sometimes has a certain air about it.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, you mention that you loved this low budget film and that you enjoyed it, I bet your printed shirt went down well. I had a friend Woff who loved low budget sci-fi films and when he died in 2008 I inherited about thirty original film posters from him, here are two of the titles I inherited 'Attack of the 50 foot woman ' ( 1958 ) and ' Attack of the Killer Tomatoes ' ( 1978 ).

.post-344-0-99222700-1573890946.jpeg

.post-344-0-32695300-1573890991.jpeg

General Apathy

Now I want to go out and buy lots of bleach!

Hi Mikie, with all the present doom and gloom predictions of ' Global Warming ', ' Global Change ', ' Global Cooling ' and whatever other terms are the current buzz words that older generations like my parents were recycling before any of these predictions came about.

There is definitely too much waste in the world, when I needed a new bearing for a wheel on the Volvo the bearing was only available within a complete new hub. In years gone by it was possible to buy just a new bearing and using a press machine press it into the hub. The nice thing about a wartime Jeep is that it only has what it needs, no electronic gizmo's, my Volvo has 44 censors monitoring most operations of the car, 44 more things that could go wrong.

If you break down the letters of the JEEP it becomes Just Enough Essential Parts, JEEP. :lol:

( cue Jeep photo, even cute Jeep photo )

.post-344-0-09907700-1573892230_thumb.jpg

Hi Mikie, with all the present doom and gloom predictions of ' Global Warming ', ' Global Change ', ' Global Cooling ' and whatever other terms are the current buzz words that older generations like my parents were recycling before any of these predictions came about.

There is definitely too much waste in the world, when I needed a new bearing for a wheel on the Volvo the bearing was only available within a complete new hub. In years gone by it was possible to buy just a new bearing and using a press machine press it into the hub. The nice thing about a wartime Jeep is that it only has what it needs, no electronic gizmo's, my Volvo has 44 censors monitoring most operations of the car, 44 more things that could go wrong.

If you break down the letters of the JEEP it becomes Just Enough Essential Parts, JEEP. :lol:

.attachicon.gifIMG_3712.JPG

we need more vehicles like that. I got my son's KIA van when he went to Korea. I'm always dealimg with something on it. Always getting the manual out to try and figure something out

Do 50 ft women eat cars ?

What do they do with them ?

Do 50 ft women breath fire ?

Where do they sleep ?

Who do they complain about seeing they are the bore destroying things !!!!

Too funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Mikie, you mention that you loved this low budget film and that you enjoyed it, I bet your printed shirt went down well. I had a friend Woff who loved low budget sci-fi films and when he died in 2008 I inherited about thirty original film posters from him, here are two of the titles I inherited 'Attack of the 50 foot woman ' ( 1958 ) and ' Attack of the Killer Tomatoes ' ( 1978 ).

.attachicon.gif full.attackofthekillertomatoes_18948__14614.1556890336.jpg.jpeg

.attachicon.gif a_giant_among_men_01.jpeg

I love Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! Milpitas Monster isn't quite as sophisticated is Tomatoes, but they grew off similar vines. I don't recall The 50 Foot Woman movie. But my lovely 5 Foot 2 inch wonderful wife is plenty tall enough to scare the heck out of me.

.attachicon.gif IMG_3712.JPG

Sent

Ha! I can remember us kids asking my Dad why we didn't buy a new car with power windows. He replied that they were just another darned thing that would break and need fixing.

General Apathy

Do 50 ft women eat cars ?

What do they do with them ?

Do 50 ft women breath fire ?

Where do they sleep ?

Who do they complain about seeing they are the bore destroying things !!!!

Too funny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, as you know working in Hollyweird everything is not what it seems, there aren't any fifty foot women, and wait for this, NO killer tomatoes :o

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 17 2019m ( my daughters birthday today )

General Apathy

Ken,

I have seen reports of all sorts of flooding over there. Are you starting to dry out yet?I

Do you have any snorkeling gear in your shoebox?

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for your concern, no I don't have any snorkelling kit . . . . . . . . . . I have a roof I can sit on when it gets deep . . . . :dry:

Attached a photo I took this morning, I like the way the clouds appear as if they are converging on the left . . . . .

.post-344-0-04479900-1574024038_thumb.jpeg