Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Militaria stands at the Carentan bourse militaire show . . . . . . . .

several cases of wartime tinned goods on one of the stands at the show, uncertain if these were US Army rations or supplies for the local populace . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 12 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1a8a.jpeg

Yum! Not quite up there with all those crabs, but still some high living there in Normandy!

General Apathy

Yum! Not quite up there with all those crabs, but still some high living there in Normandy!

Hi Mikie, talking of high living here's some high aircraft, 17 minutes of amateur footage of parachuting on Youtube, if you get past the first few minutes of modern square chute parachuting, it moves on to a number of C-47s and round-canopy jumpers.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 14 2019.

Hi Mikie, talking of high living here's some high aircraft, 17 minutes of amateur footage of parachuting on Youtube, if you get past the first few minutes of modern square chute parachuting, it moves on to a number of C-47s and round-canopy jumpers.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 14 2019.

Fantastic!

General Apathy

I wanted some calling cards to use during the 75th anniversary so I copied the Jeep I embroidered on a denim shirt in 1970 which I wore whilst hanging around with Zeppelin, very pleased with the results ( and the associated 70's memories ) and very much a one-off design.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 15 2019.

.post-344-0-87380200-1560588732_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Fantastic

Hi Robert, it was great to see so many Daks in the skies over Normandy, I'm sure it made many people happy seeing them.

Sadly there appears to be a lot of news and comments on the social media sites about unpaid bills and other problems associated with the organisation of the event.

General Apathy

67a402498bcd0679e8e14f6c89a2983a.jpg

17 in this guy goes for full glory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Owen, well you had me there, I was scanning the skies for Daks and parachutists, what a bum post you added :lol::lol:

General Apathy

Chance meeting Carentan 9th June 2019 . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday morning several of us attended the ' Arizona ' mililtaria camp in Carentan with our vehicles, at mid-day over a hundred military vehicles did a parade through the town and returned to the camp. Around 14h00 a visiting friend and myself took our Jeeps back into the port area of Carentan to watch the amphibious Jeeps and DUKW's swim in the harbour.

The whole town was heaving with vehicles and people and it was a struggle to find parking spaces so I was amused that we managed to squeeze onto the pavement area in front of this building with all the bullet strikes ( I featured this building a while back with Sam Boyack, 83rd Div who was the soldier that fired at this building in 1944 )

A Frenchman approached me as we parked and passed comment about the bullet strikes, he related he was a youngster during the battle of Carentan, I explained to him that I had known the soldier that made these bullet strikes on the wall. The Frenchman then gave me a gift of a 1943 carbine bullet he had picked up in June 1944 after the fighting.

.post-344-0-43803400-1560595119.jpeg

.post-344-0-30734700-1560595151_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Meeting with Dick Winters, 75th anniversary 2019 . . . . . . . . . .

Cheated a little with that title, I did meet with Dick Winters but it was Dick Winters II ( the second ) the nephew of Dick Winters and named after his uncle.

Dick Winters II was too young for WWII and served in Viet-Nam, each time he visits Normandy he stays with English friends of mine. Dick made me the gift of a Camp Toccoa challenge coin . . . . . . . . . . I flipped the coin out several times amongst current serving US soldiers.

.post-344-0-17926300-1560595577.jpeg

I wanted some calling cards to use during the 75th anniversary so I copied the Jeep I embroidered on a denim shirt in 1970 which I wore whilst hanging around with Zeppelin, very pleased with the results ( and the associated 70's memories ) and very much a one-off design.

.attachicon.gifphoto.JPG

Hi Ken, that's some fine needlework but I have one question...…………..why is the windscreen up?

:D

Rene

well, it seems he got a leg up...………………….. :dry:

Rene

Sunday morning several of us attended the ' Arizona ' mililtaria camp in Carentan with our vehicles, at mid-day over a hundred military vehicles did a parade through the town and returned to the camp. Around 14h00 a visiting friend and myself took our Jeeps back into the port area of Carentan to watch the amphibious Jeeps and DUKW's swim in the harbour.

The whole town was heaving with vehicles and people and it was a struggle to find parking spaces so I was amused that we managed to squeeze onto the pavement area in front of this building with all the bullet strikes ( I featured this building a while back with Sam Boyack, 83rd Div who was the soldier that fired at this building in 1944 )

A Frenchman approached me as we parked and passed comment about the bullet strikes, he related he was a youngster during the battle of Carentan, I explained to him that I had known the soldier that made these bullet strikes on the wall. The Frenchman then gave me a gift of a 1943 carbine bullet he had picked up in June 1944 after the fighting.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1ac4.jpeg

.attachicon.gifIMG_3715.JPG

Hi Ken, wow that's uncanny. I remember the story. Nice momento

Rene

Despite all the damage to the rest of the building, that wall looks stable.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, believe it or not …..I've just been re-reading some older posts and in doing so I read your comment again……..and only now I understand what you actually wrote, hahaha.

Now I'm afraid my 'pun ability' is deteriorating………….....

Rene

General Apathy

Hi Ken, that's some fine needlework but I have one question...…………..why is the windscreen up?

:D

Rene

Hi Rene, it was back in the day when I HAD hair . . . . . . . . . . . . :mellow:

General Apathy

Hi Ken, wow that's uncanny. I remember the story. Nice momento

Rene

Hi Rene, I have his address and he said to call around and see other stuff he picked up back in the day. ^_^

General Apathy

Hi Mikie, believe it or not …..I've just been re-reading some older posts and in doing so I read your comment again……..and only now I understand what you actually wrote, hahaha.

Now I'm afraid my 'pun-ability' is deteriorating………….....

Rene

Hi rene, yep Mikie was first past the post with his remark ( pun ) . . . . . :unsure: ' first past the post ' get it, oh don't bother just go back to sleep. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

General Apathy

75th anniversary week . . . . . . . . . . .

I would just like to say thanks to my little GPW for running smoothly and effortless over the anniversary weeks.

Although D-Day week has come and gone, all the military vehicle owners living here have many more celebrations to attend in the coming months as each village and town celebrate their own liberation dates.

.post-344-0-90702100-1560608528_thumb.jpeg

.attachicon.gif photo.JPG

Awesome! Those are great!

manayunkman

Great chance meeting but the picture of your Jeep in front of the bullet struck building takes you back.

Great shot!

vostoktrading

I think he was itching to get some attention.

.attachicon.gif fullsizeoutput_1ac4.jpeg

.attachicon.gif IMG_3715.JPG

There is a whole lot of history in that photo!

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . Carentan

a shot of Colonel Robert Sink commanding officer of the 506th PIR standing in the centre of Carentan.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 17 2019.

.post-344-0-52021800-1560762727_thumb.jpeg