Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Before I forget about the time difference, best wishes to everyone who will be there for the anniversary. Have a great time, take lots of pictures to post here, and please give my regards to all who landed on those shores at any memorial ceremonies you may attend.

Mikie

Although this Yank magazine dates from 30th june 1944 its cover shows part of the famous picture of Ike talking tot the men of E Co. 502nd PIR on june 5th 1944. At the time of posting it is almost (give or take an hour) 75 years ago that this picture was taken.

There is also an alternative story to this picture that can be read here: http://historyaddict.com/Ike502nd.html (Thanks to Doyler for providing the link on the facebook page of the USMF)

post-169612-0-27790000-1559759136_thumb.jpg

Rene

manayunkman

Been watching different shows on TV.

One show had 2 French brothers whose mother spent much of her life tending the graves of American soldiers.

Anyone see it?

General Apathy

Before I forget about the time difference, best wishes to everyone who will be there for the anniversary. Have a great time, take lots of pictures to post here, and please give my regards to all who landed on those shores at any memorial ceremonies you may attend.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for your comment that everyone enjoy themselves, its manic and not possible to be in thirty places at the same time. However we are doing our best and we are virtually out sunrise to sunset . . . . . . . . . . reports will be sporadic

I had a great time out in a Schwimmwagen two days ago . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 06 2019.

.post-344-0-28251200-1559801903_thumb.jpg

Hi Mikie, thanks for your comment that everyone enjoy themselves, its manic and not possible to be in thirty places at the same time. However we are doing our best and we are virtually out sunrise to sunset . . . . . . . . . . reports will be sporadic

I had a great time out in a Schwimmwagen two days ago . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 06 2019.

.attachicon.gifschim 4-1.jpg

Hi Ken, did you switch to the dark side? ;)

Great picture.

Rene

The Meatcan

Ken, your Schwimmwagen looks perilously close to being a Sunkwagen. Can you swim?

Hope you and your mates have a memorable experience!

Terry

Ken,

I have been thinking about you all week and wondering which festivities you would be attending. Thanks for all of the pictures so those of us who can't be there can get a glimpse of everything going on over there. The picture of all of the German vehicles its amazing. The mural on the side of the building is beautiful. The picture of the jeep in the ocean makes you went to cry. I really loved the picture of you in the Schwimwagen. As a child i rode in an amphibious car and it was that low in the water too!

Please keep the pictures coming!! ...Kat

General Apathy

Another Schwimmer shot . . . . . . . .

apologies so much happening, so many friends to catch up with, not enough time to file reports here . . . . . . . . so it's just a picture post

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 07 2019.

.post-344-0-64090900-1559893986_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Ken, your Schwimmwagen looks perilously close to being a Sunkwagen. Can you swim?

Hope you and your mates have a memorable experience!

Terry

Hi Terry, sadly a serving British soldier died a few days ago trying to swim the river at Pegasus bridge after being encouraged to do so by his friends when returning to their camp after an evening in town

Another Schwimmer shot . . . . . . . .

apologies so much happening, so many friends to catch up with, not enough time to file reports here . . . . . . . . so it's just a picture post

.attachicon.gifimage3.jpeg

Great photos Ken...Thanks for taking the time to post them during a busy event

Great photos Ken...Thanks for taking the time to post them during a busy event

I wholeheartedly agree! Thanks for taking the time to post pictures!

So sad to hear about the soldier who drowned. Was it the swift water or too much partying?

...Kat

General Apathy

Hi Ken, did you switch to the dark side? ;)

Great picture.

Rene

Hi Rene, certain vehicles from ' the dark side ' do appeal to me such as the Schwimwagen and the BMW R-75 motorcycle and sidecar.

Talking of the dark side we like to see how many inappropriate military vehicles ( half-tracks and such ) we can see marked up with ' 506th E Co. ' and here is one of these vehicles . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.post-344-0-79748200-1559925656_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Ken,

I have been thinking about you all week and wondering which festivities you would be attending. Thanks for all of the pictures so those of us who can't be there can get a glimpse of everything going on over there. The picture of all of the German vehicles its amazing. The mural on the side of the building is beautiful. The picture of the jeep in the ocean makes you went to cry. I really loved the picture of you in the Schwimwagen. As a child i rode in an amphibious car and it was that low in the water too!

Please keep the pictures coming!! ...Kat

Hi Kat, good to hear from you again, hope I can add more stuff but I have six friends staying with me and twenty hours a day are being filled unbelievably . . . . . . . . . in one way or another.

General Apathy

Ken,

Enjoy and immerse yourself in your friends.

Until we hear from you, have some fun.

75th Anniversary and exactly the same weather as 75 years ago . . . . . . . . .

A storm front raged across Normandy last night, torrential rain and high winds started around 21h00, on the way back from the restaurant in Carentan driving along winding unlit country roads I we encountered a fallen tree across the road, it had only been possible to see the tree by a set of hazard lights partially visible on the other side of the branches and leaves.

We had to back up away from the tree and try to leave enough space for seven of us to try and tug the branches aside to get enough space to drive past it. The car we saw with the flashing hazards was a young guy and his girlfriend who were sat in their car with no-chance of moving the branches.

I got out of bed at 06h00 this morning to assess whether it would be possible to get out with our two Jeeps and two motorcycles, I'm presently sat having breakfast and hoping for the storm to drop and wake the others.

A similar storm occurred seventy-five years ago and destroyed the American Mulberry harbour which had not been secured to the seabed, the British Mulberry was battered but survived as it had been anchored to the seabed.

As its the last day for four of the friends then its a bit disappointing that the open-air military market in Ste Marie du Mont will be rained off.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 08 2019.

.post-344-0-04174700-1559972027_thumb.jpg

A storm front raged across Normandy last night, torrential rain and high winds started around 21h00, on the way back from the restaurant in Carentan driving along winding unlit country roads I we encountered a fallen tree across the road, it had only been possible to see the tree by a set of hazard lights partially visible on the other side of the branches and leaves.

We had to back up away from the tree and try to leave enough space for seven of us to try and tug the branches aside to get enough space to drive past it. The car we saw with the flashing hazards was a young guy and his girlfriend who were sat in their car with no-chance of moving the branches.

I got out of bed at 06h00 this morning to assess whether it would be possible to get out with our two Jeeps and two motorcycles, I'm presently sat having breakfast and hoping for the storm to drop and wake the others.

A similar storm occurred seventy-five years ago and destroyed the American Mulberry harbour which had not been secured to the seabed, the British Mulberry was battered but survived as it had been anchored to the seabed.

As its the last day for four of the friends then its a bit disappointing that the open-air military market in Ste Marie du Mont will be rained off.

.attachicon.gifIMG_0379.jpg

Hi Ken, pleased to hear everyone is okay.

It is quite windy overhere as well.

Rene

Hi Rene, certain vehicles from ' the dark side ' do appeal to me such as the Schwimwagen and the BMW R-75 motorcycle and sidecar.

Talking of the dark side we like to see how many inappropriate military vehicles ( half-tracks and such ) we can see marked up with ' 506th E Co. ' and here is one of these vehicles . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gifIMG_3494.JPG

:D

With regards to the pictured vehicle I have only one question: why?

Rene

.attachicon.gif IMG_3494.JPG

Yeah, there is something not quite right about that truck. Can't quite figure out what, though.

.attachicon.gif IMG_0379.jpg

Sorry to hear that the weather "rained on your parade" so to speak. But it does point out the tough decisions Ike had to make about launching the invasion, with the weather such as it was then. Not to mention the soldiers, sailors and airmen who had to fight in it.

Mikie

General Apathy

Normandy storm . . . . . . . . . . ' Miguel ' June 2019.

A storm named Miguel raced through Normandy in the last few days, myself and friends travelling with me were soaked to the skin several times, our own fault riding around with no tarp or screen . . . . . . . . . . . . . Great fun though methinks :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 10 2019.

.post-344-0-95916800-1560123152_thumb.jpeg

Normandy storm . . . . . . . . . . ' Miguel ' June 2019.

A storm named Miguel raced through Normandy in the last few days, myself and friends travelling with me were soaked to the skin several times, our own fault riding around with no tarp or screen . . . . . . . . . . . . . Great fun though methinks :lol:

Ken,

Looks like y'all had a blast and made the most out of the rainy day! And what better transportation in the rain !

...Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

Looks like y'all had a blast and made the most out of the rainy day! And what better transportation in the rain !

...Kat

Hi Kat.

there were a number of motorcycles, vehicles and aircraft that had all come over from the USA, heres a few of the wartime Harley's I spotted.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 10 2019.

.post-344-0-28862300-1560152554_thumb.jpeg