Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan and troops, looking forward to catching up with you this week, remember to ask me for a ' gift ' I am holding for you.

WilDo! All packed up and leaving very early tomorrow morning...

Will tekst you as we go...

Never mind who they are......look at that beautiful (and sadly obscured) Jaguar MK II :D

Rene

Well it seems that photo went over like a lead balloon.

Mikie

Hi Ken,

I often wonder if people are aware from comparisons like that, that 70+ years ago a person's life ended on what is now their sidewalk, backyard, or street. It really brings home the human cost of WWII to see reminders like that.

Regards,

RC [and best wishes for the D-Day week]

bad

I was thinking something similar. Lots of good people died all over that area. Not just on Omaha Beach or Ste. Mere Eglise.

Mikie

Boy, the body under the tarp or poncho sure puts a different spin on everything. You're right about modern day residents probably not having a clue that some young kid gave their life on that spot so long ago. It's like all the Gettysburg "then and now photos." I've been to some of those spots in Gettysburg and it's just a different feeling.

Hi Ken,

I often wonder if people are aware from comparisons like that, that 70+ years ago a person's life ended on what is now their sidewalk, backyard, or street. It really brings home the human cost of WWII to see reminders like that.

Regards,

RC [and best wishes for the D-Day week]

Isn’t that the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

manayunkman

There are many people in Europe, very young to old, who have deep gratitude for the sacrifice made by those who fell on the sidewalks of their towns.

There are many people in Europe, very young to old, who have deep gratitude for the sacrifice made by those who fell on the sidewalks of their towns.

That's absolutely true.

On the other hand I think it's inevitable that with the passing of time more and more people will not be not aware of those sacrifices made. Moments in time like the 75th anniversary of D-Day and the subsequent 75th liberation anniversaries, will again draw attention to these sacrifices. But after these moments a lot will depend on education, wether it's in school or through family, and events like May 4th (remembrance day in my country) to keep that part of history alive.

I recently read that nowadays a trip to the invasion beaches of Normandy is a very trendy and popular holiday destination. If it's done for the right reasons I think it is a positive development. If that's really the case remains to been seen.

Rene

General Apathy

' Ride of the Valkyries ' Normandy 2019 . . . . . . . . . .

Practice formation of Chinooks passing along the seafront at Grand camp Maisy a couple of days ago . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 03 2019.

.post-344-0-21336000-1559592457_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

The annual Normandy SNAFU . . . . . . . . .

Every year since I can remember there has to be ' ONE ' that drifts along having fun on the beach until they find the Deeper hole . . . . . . photo taken in the last two days.

How to turn a twenty grand Jeep into a three grand Jeep, drive it in salt water, it will find every nook and cranny to sit in that you can't see and gently rust the vehicle away.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 01 2019.

.post-344-0-31717600-1559593708_thumb.jpeg

Every year since I can remember there has to be ' ONE ' that drifts along having fun on the beach until they find the Deeper hole . . . . . . photo taken in the last two days.

How to turn a twenty grand Jeep into a three grand Jeep, drive it in salt water, it will find every nook and cranny to sit in that you can't see and gently rust the vehicle away.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1a23.jpeg

post-2687-0-32505200-1559594895.jpg

It could be an old D-Day shell hole. And since the water is Normandy 75th Anniversary beach salt water, the jeep is now worth more!

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1a23.jpeg

post-169612-0-65856000-1559595995.jpg

Rene

This link shows is a nice (although a bit dated) digital reprensentation of the Mulberry harbour at Arromanches.

https://www.reseau-canope.fr/d-day/en/education/gallery/dday_ressource/show/Ressource/la-reconstitution-numerique-des-ports-artificiels.html

If the link doesn't work the video can be found on this page: https://www.reseau-canope.fr/d-day/en/education/gallery.html

Rene

Glidertrooper

My small now & then contribution to this thread. The following picture was posted to this thread back at the end of 2011!! Sometimes identified elsewhere on the internet as Rangers marching to their landing craft; but ID'd here as the 1st Infantry Division - they are marching along Weymouth sea-front in Dorset around about now 75 years ago:

post-166956-0-09019400-1559681052_thumb.jpg

Glidertrooper

& Now... This picture was taken summer of last year, 2018. The building roofs are what distinctively identify the location. Unfortunately I was standing behind where those soldiers are marching, as to stand in the same spot at the original photographer would have found the shot blocked by the line of beach-goers' coaches parked next to the pavement!

post-166956-0-12560000-1559681147_thumb.jpg

If you look closely at both pictures you can see the bust of Queen Victoria above the entrance to what was then The Victoria Hotel, now renamed the Fairhaven Hotel.

Cheers......John

Along the roof line about 2/3 of the way down in the "then" pic you see what appears to be a "Dorothy Restaurant" sign. I see what looks like the same sign in the "now" photo. Is that a business still in operation?

General Apathy

And here's a shot of the anker mentioned in the video. Love ingenuity like this.

attachicon.gifDSC_2816a.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_2816 (2)a.jpg

Rene

Hi Rene, thanks for adding the photograph and links to the Mulberry harbour and anchor.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 05 2019.

General Apathy

My small now & then contribution to this thread. The following picture was posted to this thread back at the end of 2011!! Sometimes identified elsewhere on the internet as Rangers marching to their landing craft; but ID'd here as the 1st Infantry Division - they are marching along Weymouth sea-front in Dorset around about now 75 years ago:

attachicon.gifIMG_1266.jpg

Hi Glidertrooper. welcome to the thread and thanks for your update on this well known photograph, I hope you will have more images to add, I see that your location is shown as London maybe you could bring us ' Then & Now ' shots from there.

General Apathy

Normandy yesterday . . . . . . . . . . .

German vehicles have always played a low key part in the Normandy anniversaries, however this year there was the largest gathering of vehicles that I ever recall, there was a gathering and convoy of 80 vehicles.

I think there were more than thirty Kubelwagens with various paint schemes. a few more photos will follow.

.post-344-0-74707100-1559716441_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Normandy yesterday . . . . . . . . . . .

German vehicles have always played a low key part in the Normandy anniversaries, however this year there was the largest gathering of vehicles that I ever recall, there was a gathering and convoy of 80 vehicles.

I think there were about thirty motorcycle-sidecar combinations, and twenty solo motorcycles.

.post-344-0-76094900-1559716791_thumb.jpeg

Prelude to Overlord. Painting by W.H. Bishop depicting Portsmouth harbour. The original resides in the museum of The Royal Navy, I believe.

post-169612-0-58829000-1559737225_thumb.jpg

Rene