Norman D. Landing

bilko1

After watching in horror my poor San Jose Sharks hockey team get shot out of the sky and crash in flames on Sunday. I consoled myself with a trip down the Alameda to my favorite hangout.

post-2687-0-84481800-1558381085.jpg

Recycle Bookstore is the best and one of the last of what was once many old bookstores in the area. I often drop in for an hour or two to browse and inhale lungfuls of that wonderful old-book air. Most of this room is the History section, with most of this aisle devoted to military history. WWII is the center section on the left.

post-2687-0-82922400-1558381122.jpg

Here are some recent pickups. Rene, I saw mention of Venlo in that book on the right and just had to pick it up. Have you read this one? Not military, but the Hitchhikers Guide book is signed by Douglas Adams! Not a bad grab for 5 bucks!

post-2687-0-29516000-1558381147.jpg

It sure is, Johan :)

attachicon.gifDSC_6048a.jpg

Rene

Must have been awesome indeed! But I have to wonder how effective that camo paint scheme was. It seems to stick out like a sore thumb against the trees in the background.

Mikie

After watching in horror my poor San Jose Sharks hockey team get shot out of the sky and crash in flames on Sunday. I consoled myself with a trip down the Alameda to my favorite hangout.

attachicon.gifRecycle Books 1.jpg

Recycle Bookstore is the best and one of the last of what was once many old bookstores in the area. I often drop in for an hour or two to browse and inhale lungfuls of that wonderful old-book air. Most of this room is the History section, with most of this aisle devoted to military history. WWII is the center section on the left.

attachicon.gifRecycle Books 3.jpg

Here are some recent pickups. Rene, I saw mention of Venlo in that book on the right and just had to pick it up. Have you read this one? Not military, but the Hitchhikers Guide book is signed by Douglas Adams! Not a bad grab for 5 bucks!

attachicon.gifBooks.jpg

Hi Mikie, great bookstore. Wouldn't mind having that one around the corner.

That book immediately piqued my interest when I saw the river Maas salient mentioned on the cover. At first glance it doesn't ring a bell but perhaps it is a translation of a Dutch book that I know.

Rene

Hi Mikie, great bookstore. Wouldn't mind having that one around the corner.

That book immediately piqued my interest when I saw the river Maas salient mentioned on the cover. At first glance it doesn't ring a bell but perhaps it is a translation of a Dutch book that I know.

Rene

The author is indeed Dutch. He is listed as A. Korthals Altes. I didn't notice that yesterday looking at the book through my tears of sorrow.

Mikie

The Meatcan

Rene, many thanks for posting the pix and video of the Militracks event! Wow, what a fantastic parade of vehicles. I can't imagine how much fun that would be to see in person. From the Panther to the RSO, everything looked, and sounded, incredible.

Terry

Johan Willaert

But I have to wonder how effective that camo paint scheme was. It seems to stick out like a sore thumb against the trees in the background.

That was my first thought too, but then I saw it in the shadow of the trees and it was quite suitable...

General Apathy

Thanks Mikie for the California reports and thanks also to Rene for the Militracks report and everyone else for joining in with comment.

I spent Saturday and Sunday at the auction in Caen, and it was a roller-coaster ride of bids with up's and down's, but overall it should come out well.

Here's my quick report, two weeks ago a transporter carrying WWII military vehicles to the Liberation of Pilsen became involved in a traffic accident and fire between the vehicles involved, sadly one person died and approximately a dozen people injured, attached photo shows the damage incurred.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 21 2019.

.post-344-0-66284900-1558449658_thumb.jpg

manayunkman

Holy crap!!

That's horrible.

Looks like the trailor with the tanks was T boned by a semi.

The author is indeed Dutch. He is listed as A. Korthals Altes. I didn't notice that yesterday looking at the book through my tears of sorrow.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, yes he's a well known writer of local military history books. The book you've got also deals with the battle of Overloon and that's exactly the place where the Militracks event took place last weekend. Talking about coincidence, hahaha.

Rene

Rene, many thanks for posting the pix and video of the Militracks event! Wow, what a fantastic parade of vehicles. I can't imagine how much fun that would be to see in person. From the Panther to the RSO, everything looked, and sounded, incredible.

Terry

Thanks Terry. I will soon post more pictures on the World Militaria Forum since they all involve German vehicles.

Rene

Thanks Mikie for the California reports and thanks also to Rene for the Militracks report and everyone else for joining in with comment.

I spent Saturday and Sunday at the auction in Caen, and it was a roller-coaster ride of bids with up's and down's, but overall it should come out well.

Here's my quick report, two weeks ago a transporter carrying WWII military vehicles to the Liberation of Pilsen became involved in a traffic accident and fire between the vehicles involved, sadly one person died and approximately a dozen people injured, attached photo shows the damage incurred.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 21 2019.

.attachicon.gif59539157_854953798191263_4164027676018868224_n.jpg

Hi Ken, that's a very sad picture especially since someone lost his life and many more were injured. These days should be all about celebrations but life always finds a way to throw a curve ball.

Rene

manayunkman

Great stuff from Overloon Rene.

How do the locals react to Nazi tanks?

My Dutch family was so ravaged by the war that they didn't even want to hear mention of it.

They were always shutting me up about it.

During the 50th anniversary of Market Garden I did a Dick Winters impression and they were horrified.

But their house was full of British paratroopers vets who used it as their main base during the festivities.

When my uncle was alive he was part of the staff of the Hartenstein museum.

But no one wanted to talk about the past.

manayunkman

What happened was that a transport carrying tanks from the CZ armor museum rear ended a prison transport bus killing a prison guard.

Here is another picture.

post-51189-0-15567600-1558469416_thumb.jpg

Hi Mikie, yes he's a well known writer of local military history books. The book you've got also deals with the battle of Overloon and that's exactly the place where the Militracks event took place last weekend. Talking about coincidence, hahaha.

Rene

Hi Mikie, had a rummage trough my bookcase and I believe this is the Dutch edition. The title literally translates as Battle in the shadow.

post-169612-0-37331000-1558475931_thumb.jpg

Rene

General Apathy

D-Day week arrangements Ste Marie du Mont . . . . . . . . .

according to the town hall in Ste Marie du Mont all civilian cars are barred from parking in the streets of the town centre 3rd till 9th of June, military vehicles will ' supposedly ' be allowed into the centre to park on the grass surrounding the church.

Map of town centre and allocated parking fields

Ste Marie du Mont does not have any food or drink stores so please carry sufficient supplies with you if spending time in Ste Marie du Mont. There are three small restaurants, each year these are swamped by the number of visitors and generally only open 12h00 to 14h00 hours . . . . . . . . . you will be extremely lucky to get seats, I know, I have tried for the last three years.

I don't have any details for Ste Marie Eglise but I believe the restrictions will be very much the same, all vehicles banned from the town centre.

I hope that this is good information for you, good luck and enjoy the week if visiting .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 23 2019.

.post-344-0-39615300-1558609268_thumb.jpeg

according to the town hall in Ste Marie du Mont all civilian cars are barred from parking in the streets of the town centre 3rd till 9th of June, military vehicles will ' supposedly ' be allowed into the centre to park on the grass surrounding the church.

Ste Marie du Mont does not have any food or drink stores so please carry sufficient supplies with you if spending time in Ste Marie du Mont. There are three small restaurants, each year these are swamped by the number of visitors and generally only open 12h00 to 14h00 hours . . . . . . . . . you will be extremely lucky to get seats, I know, I have tried for the last three years.

I don't have any details for Ste Marie Eglise but I believe the restrictions will be very much the same, all vehicles banned from the town centre.

I hope that this is good information for you, good luck and enjoy the week if visiting .

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1972.jpeg

I can only wish that was a problem I had to face. But I already have a nice place reserved with amenities and a parking spot. Unfortunately, its well over 5000 miles away! Bit of a hike to the festivities.

Mikie

I know there is interest here with automobilia as well as militaria so that's today's theme. Here are a few maps I have that were given as freebies at gas stations in the 1930's through the 1960's. The interesting local connection is that they were printed by the H.M. Gousha Company. Note that San Jose is listed on the legend.

post-2687-0-48615400-1558629751.jpg

post-2687-0-42429800-1558629802.jpg

So check your old gas station and oil company road maps. You may have a Gousha!

I know there is interest here with automobilia as well as militaria so that's today's theme. Here are a few maps I have that were given as freebies at gas stations in the 1930's through the 1960's. The interesting local connection is that they were printed by the H.M. Gousha Company. Note that San Jose is listed on the legend.

attachicon.gifGousha maps.jpg

attachicon.gifGousha map legend CU.jpg

So check your old gas station and oil company road maps. You may have a Gousha!

They were the 3rd largest producer of road maps in the US for many years. In 1947 Gousha opened their west coast facility on The Alameda in San Jose. It is just around the corner from home and I pass the site every day on my way to work. Like so many industries, Gousha moved out of California in the late 1960's. The building is still there, though. Here is what it looked like when Gousha was there in 1957.post-2687-0-59144200-1558630073_thumb.jpg

And here it is today.

post-2687-0-91049400-1558630148_thumb.jpg

I bet Dionne Warwick could have found San Jose if she had a Gousha map!

Mikie

And one last bit of automobilia from San Jose. This is Babe. He has been standing on The Alameda at this spot since 1962, encouraging folks to stop in and get a muffler. He stands about 20 feet tall. Unfortunately he isn't in the greatest shape. Some of the former garage owners badly neglected him. The vintage neon sign next to him is covered up by the tree and not very visible. In fact, it's a wreck.

post-2687-0-93587500-1558631134.jpg

post-2687-0-36133800-1558631166.jpg

These statues were quite popular in the early 1960's. In different guises a few hundred of them adorned many roadside attractions all over the country. Maybe you've seen some of his brothers?

Mikie

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1972.jpeg

Thanks for the update Ken! It is going to be chaos for sure, but looking forward to joining the crowds nevertheless!

Posted Image

Ken

Jumping ahead from Dday to Arnhem here’s Browning wearing a famous Windak Denison smock.

Recently I was able at acquire one of his garments from his estate originally bought in 1984 by a US SF officer.

I believe there is a similar one at the Pegasus bridge museum Posted Image

Here’s Browning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk