Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Yes indeed. He even has both right and left facing crows.

Al

Hi Al, well spotted, a lot of people wouldn't have seen that, thanks for pointing it out.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 13 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, a little late to the game here but this looks like a great place to have a meal. Nice atmosphere.

Rene

Hi Rene, if your in Carentan first Saturday of the month maybe you should make a bee-line for it, I think everyone there is WWII interested, the meal is representative of wartime availability, cabbage, carrots and other vegetables with chopped sausage.

General Apathy

Ken, you're giving me the blues......

Rene

Hi Rene, sadly these are the last of my wartime U.S Army denims . . . . . . . . . not so easy to find wartime denim now.

I recall someone here on the forum saying it was unfair that older collectors hogged all the stuff, well here it is back out on the market again.

Johan Willaert

I recall someone here on the forum saying it was unfair that older collectors hogged all the stuff, well here it is back out on the market again.

Indeed, it is unfair, to the older collectors... If only the 'younger' collectors realised how much time, effort and money we spent in going places both in Europe and the US to find the stuff that is all over the internet nowadays.... They think it was all just up for grabs in the older days...

Indeed, it is unfair, to the older collectors... If only the 'younger' collectors realised how much time, effort and money we spent in going places both in Europe and the US to find the stuff that is all over the internet nowadays.... They think it was all just up for grabs in the older days...

Hi Johan, that's a fair point. I'd also like to add that in collecting you can't have it all. Although I have a fairly substantional amount of items (nowhere near to your or Ken's collection, by the way) I am fully aware that there will be many items I will never have. And I'm totally at ease with that. It's great to see that you and Ken are willing to share your collections on this Forum so we can see what was (and still is) out there.

Rene

like you say our collecting was before it was on the internet. Lots of time and miles involved. Antique stores, yard sales. flea markets, auctions, gun shows etc. Over 40 years on my part. I due admit I've bought a lot off the internet in the last few years. At my age and disability it's much easier

Hi Ken, thanks for posting those banners. A nice tribute to those paratroopers. Do you know if they (the banners) are specific to this town or are they a more general tribute?

Rene

manayunkman

Those banners and the spirit behind them is one of the best things about certain countries in Europe.

They are grateful.

After several trips to Normandy I learned that there is a lot of stuff found on the edges of farmers fields in the combat zone.

When they plow they throw junk to the edges of their fields.

Bullets are everywhere.

The British zone is better because of the intense attrition battles.

General Apathy

Hi Johan & Robert, I have to agree with what you both had to say. I can't recount all the times I drove through the night, or travelled to other countries and continents to acquire and gather all the pieces I collected, I have never bought a single piece of uniform or equipment from eBay or such.

I know that my weekend trips to European capitals driving alone mostly and along dark night-time routes and searching for stuff whilst most people were safely at home tucked in bed.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, thanks for posting those banners. A nice tribute to those paratroopers. Do you know if they (the banners) are specific to this town or are they a more general tribute?

Rene

Hi Rene, since sharing the shots of those banners with other friends I heard back that there is supposedly 200 of those banners throughout Normandy.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 15 2019.

General Apathy

Those banners and the spirit behind them is one of the best things about certain countries in Europe.

They are grateful.

After several trips to Normandy I learned that there is a lot of stuff found on the edges of farmers fields in the combat zone.

When they plow they throw junk to the edges of their fields.

Bullets are everywhere.

The British zone is better because of the intense attrition battles.

Hi Peter, yes you're right, in the main most Europeans are grateful for their liberations during WWII, pity so many died and so much damage was done to give that liberation.

Hi Rene, sadly these are the last of my wartime U.S Army denims . . . . . . . . . not so easy to find wartime denim now.

To me Denim has never been that common.Here I never see it.In all the years I have acquired only a nice large unissued daiy mae blue denim cap.For the most part if it survived the war it was worn well past the war for work wear here.

As for older collectors "hogging it" if it were not for the people buying and keeping it they wouldn't exist.I often think about all the surplus adds I saw in the shot gun news in the 1980s.Lots of the WW2 British wind proof camo smocks,trousers,commando sweaters etc.Then there were the adds for the M41 jackets and hbts that were marked PW and P for prisoners.Most were $15 each I recall.Always thought I should buy them.I ended up with one M41 marked PW.Others would wrinkle their nose at the items due to the ink markings made them "worth less and damaged".It all disappeared.I wonder where or who bought it all and it has to be out there waiting to be resold.

The preparations for the 75th anniversary have started . . . . . . . . . . .

Driving through the village of Liesville sur Douve I spotted these banners attached to the village lamp posts.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_169b.jpeg

Looks like it's a banner year in Normandy!

Mikie

To me Denim has never been that common.Here I never see it.In all the years I have acquired only a nice large unissued daiy mae blue denim cap.For the most part if it survived the war it was worn well past the war for work wear here.

As for older collectors "hogging it" if it were not for the people buying and keeping it they wouldn't exist.I often think about all the surplus adds I saw in the shot gun news in the 1980s.Lots of the WW2 British wind proof camo smocks,trousers,commando sweaters etc.Then there were the adds for the M41 jackets and hbts that were marked PW and P for prisoners.Most were $15 each I recall.Always thought I should buy them.I ended up with one M41 marked PW.Others would wrinkle their nose at the items due to the ink markings made them "worth less and damaged".It all disappeared.I wonder where or who bought it all and it has to be out there waiting to be resold.

Oh my! The Shotgun News in the late 70's and 80's! Money was tight for me then (well tighter) so I just used to drool over the stuff in there. But I did buy a few things here and there.

Mikie

I found these Then and Now photos of Notre Dame Cathedral during the Liberation in 1944 and thought it would be appropriate to share with you here.

post-2687-0-11311700-1555433847.jpg

post-2687-0-01251400-1555433869.jpg

Mikie

General Apathy

I found these Then and Now photos of Notre Dame Cathedral during the Liberation in 1944 and thought it would be appropriate to share with you here.

attachicon.gifThen now 1.jpg

attachicon.gifThen now 2.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, many thanks for adding those lovely shots of the liberation and the Notre Dame Cathedral.

This photo shows our military vehicle trip to Paris in 1976, the convoy was made up of around a hundred vehicles and I think we had eight DUKW's swimming in the Seine, the Notre Dame in the background. One of my long term Jeeping friends Len sent me the photograph to add to the forum, Len reads the forum but lurks in the background. . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 17 2019.

.post-344-0-82397000-1555456108_thumb.jpeg

Hi Len, if you are out there, thank you for passing that photo to Ken, and to us here. 100 vehicles and DUKWs in the Seine! Man that must have been a sight!

I found a few more Paris Liberation pictures featuring Notre Dame.

post-2687-0-46551500-1555457100.jpg

post-2687-0-34690100-1555457130.jpg

Hi Mikie, thanks for adding the pictures and Len (if you are reading this) feel free to add more pictures here. They are appreciated :) .

Rene

Johan Willaert

Doing some spring cleaning and while getting the Jeep trailer out of the shed, took a photo of it...

Bantam made T3 Jeep 1/4 Ton trailer, made early January 1945...

Time to get your trailer out, Ken! ;-)

post-92-0-31195600-1555583188_thumb.jpg

Doing some spring cleaning and while getting the Jeep trailer out of the shed, took a photo of it...

Nice!

General Apathy

Hi Johan, funny you mention trailer, yes myself and a local friend will be getting his car trailer out at the weekend to go back to take another look at a place we reconnoitred yesterday, with the possibility that we will grab some larger pieces that we couldn't get into the car yesterday.

My haul yesterday, Jeep gearbox parts, starter motor, bumper bar woodwork, and a 1942 rusty German Jerrycan. Peter got a similar assortment of pieces however he took more pieces as he included Dodges parts.

.post-344-0-58362000-1555586962.jpeg

And now for something completely different!

This unfortunately named building here in San Jose is the field of many great battles.

post-2687-0-11475500-1555706429.jpg

It's also know as The Shark tank, home of my beloved San Jose Sharks NHL hockey team.

post-2687-0-83780600-1555706447.jpg

Somehow my wonderful wife Ana managed to come up with a couple of tickets to last night's Game 5 Stanley Cup Round One playoff game between the Sharks and the Las Vegas Golden Knights (Boooo!). I was thrilled when she texted me yesterday afternoon that we were going to the game!

post-2687-0-18543600-1555706479.jpg

Sharks were behind in the series 3 to 1 and would have been eliminated if they lost last night. No way that would happen with us in the stands!

post-2687-0-96799700-1555706510.jpg

post-2687-0-35243200-1555706526.jpg

Great fun to see the Sharks fight back and win one on home ice. Did I mention that I have a wonderful wife?

Mikie

Hi Johan, funny you mention trailer, yes myself and a local friend will be getting his car trailer out at the weekend to go back to take another look at a place we reconnoitred yesterday, with the possibility that we will grab some larger pieces that we couldn't get into the car yesterday.

My haul yesterday, Jeep gearbox parts, starter motor, bumper bar woodwork, and a 1942 rusty German Jerrycan. Peter got a similar assortment of pieces however he took more pieces as he included Dodges parts.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_16ec.jpeg

Hi Ken, just showing my ingnorance here: what is that bumper bar woodwork used for? Those gearbox pieces look to be in good nick.

Rene