Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Last Saturday evening a dozen vehicle owning friends and collectors arranged to meet at a small private cafe' / Bar in Carentan,

it is a private museum belonging to a French couple who collect WWII memorabilia. It only opens one evening a month as it is not operated as a business, just fellow collectors and friends. Jane and myself arrived early to position ourselves awaiting the arrival of our friends, this is a photograph of the bar and seating before it filled up and became a hive of activity.

we all agree it is a fun location to get together . . . and waiting for next month.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 10 2019

.attachicon.gifIMG_3240.JPG

Wow! That place looks great! Preserved as what we call an old country store out here? Are they all old original items on the shelf? What time period would they represent? Sorry for all the questions, but I love things like this. A window into the past. And that bread looks wonderful! My doctor doesn't want me eating bread anymore, but heck with him! I want some! And some cheese!

Mikie

Hi Johan, the word to remember when someone threatens to leave if you don't do XYZ is . . . . . . . . . Bye ! !

This was the life lesson I learnt when I bought the Jeep.

Yes, a very good bit of advice!

Mikie

General Apathy

Would love to spend an evening at JM and Sylvie's place...

Meanwhile vehicle work continued today with applying a correct USA number on the rear panel of my early 1945 Bantam made Jeep trailer...

HI Johan, you just need to be in Carentan the first Saturday of the month . . . . . . . . .

Love the lighter shade of the blue you use, often described as lustreless, sadly most people who go for the blue lettering use too deep a shade and gloss or semi-gloss.

General Apathy

One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite TV shows, Millionaire Mr Howell from Gilligan's Island..."If I can't take it with me, I just won't go". Gilligan used to be on TV daily when I came home from school as a kid. Watch Gilligan, have a snack, go play with friends till dinner. I got to memorize the whole show and would start laughing before the jokes. Still love it to this day.

Ken, I just thought you'd be buried sitting at the wheel of the jeep. Kind of like the old Vikings.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well regarding being buried, back in the day I used to say to friends that I wanted my coffin made in the seated position so I could be sat in the Jeep in the coffin and have the whole Jeep lowered into the ground by crane, and back then the theme song to MASH would have set the scene.

General Apathy

Wow! That place looks great! Preserved as what we call an old country store out here? Are they all old original items on the shelf? What time period would they represent? Sorry for all the questions, but I love things like this. A window into the past. And that bread looks wonderful! My doctor doesn't want me eating bread anymore, but heck with him! I want some! And some cheese!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, a lot of the stuff is old store stuff, with some percentage of reproduction to give the look of quantity as a store of bar would have had.

Remember that old joke about giving up all the good stuff in life, the steaks, the wine the cheese the bread the sex if you want to live a longer life, and the doctor said something like why would you want to live a longer life if you gave all that up. . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Yes, a very good bit of advice!

Mikie

Hi mike, when someone tells you they are leaving then face it, its already over by that stage . . . . . jeez its a tuff life hahhaaaaa.

General Apathy

From the auction houses facebook.page

Hi Johan, thanks for adding the images, I have cropped the grey from the tops and bottoms of the images and heres the first one again . . . . .

post-344-0-36667800-1554881592_thumb.jpeg.

Hi Ron, forgot to add, I think the insignia is genuine enough but the cap piping isn't right, all these pieces came together when I bought the brass insignia, which is what I was really after at the time.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 08 2019.[/size]

.[/size]

Thats a fine looking set of arrows.Looks like a nice display.

Johan Willaert

Love the lighter shade of the blue you use, often described as lustreless, sadly most people who go for the blue lettering use too deep a shade and gloss or semi-gloss.

Thx Ken! We had that shade of blue made from an original sample...

Johan Willaert

Now, that's a coffee mug...

A miniature version of the Toby Jug made famous in the 12 o'Clock High movie and subsequent series....

Mission Tomorrow....!!!

post-92-0-22557700-1554921489_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Now, that's a coffee mug...

A miniature version of the Toby Jug made famous in the 12 o'Clock High movie and subsequent series....

Mission Tomorrow....!!!

Hi Johan, your Toby jug is it a UK made one . . . . . . . . think I should watch that film again its been so long since I did.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 11 2019

General Apathy

From the Shoebox to the auction . . . . . . .

I love the style and quality of this uniform and the rarity of it is a bonus as well.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 11 2019.

.post-344-0-59190700-1554974812_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

From the Shoebox to the auction . . . . . . .

I love the style and quality of this uniform and the rarity of it is a bonus as well.

.post-344-0-75763900-1554974907_thumb.jpeg

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, your Toby jug is it a UK made one . . . .

Don't know where it is made, but it is being sold by a company in California

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . to auction.

Hi Johan, well as you appear to be the member here that seems the most keen on the early war blue denims I have added this shot for you, virtually the last of the denims I have.

One of the jackets has a veterans name and number inside, ' Talley - 34579682 '

.post-344-0-70917800-1554998711_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Magnifique....

Hi Johan, sadly this one is less than Magnifique . . . . . . . . and won't be going to market.

.post-344-0-06697000-1555000299.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Johan, sadly this one is less than Magnifique . . . . . . . . and won't be going to market.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1677.jpeg

However all the U.S. Army marked buttons on it are in great condition . . . . . .

.post-344-0-30141700-1555000466_thumb.jpeg

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1677.jpeg

Found in a barn in Normandy! Battle damage! It'll sell for 10x the price of a new one. My Dad used to say that his parents raising him with scruples got in the way of his getting rich. But he'd rather be poor and honest.

Mikie