Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Simon Lerenfort

Ingenuity abounds . . . . . . . . .

Seventy-five years ago Jean-Pierre needed a new gate-post and what with all the stores blown-out and shot to pieces and no stocks available why not use what was freely laying around the fields and lanes of your village . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 06 2019.

.attachicon.gifimage1.jpeg

I'm surprised that is still there. It appears to be a 50 calibre and tantalisingly buried just about where the serial number would be.

US Government Facts & Figures of WWI . . . . . .

I found it incredible the sheer numbers and quotes about equipment in these page two pages ( first page in preceding post )

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 08 2019.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_15f3.jpeg

Hi Ken, looks like the inventory/stock of your shoebox……….

Rene

Thank you for the pictures of your friend's Jeep, Johan. That's an absolute stunner. Now the big question is......is he going to drive it?, :)

Rene

I'm surprised that is still there. It appears to be a 50 calibre and tantalisingly buried just about where the serial number would be.

Yep, it's a 50 cal (aircraft variation).

post-169612-0-31787200-1554737345.jpg

Rene

Johan Willaert

Thank you for the pictures of your friend's Jeep, Johan. That's an absolute stunner. Now the big question is......is he going to drive it?, :)

Yes, that's the plan... unless it rains of course :D

Mine should look like this within the next few months, but as I've said before I'd like it to look like Ken's in a few years...

General Apathy

Yes, that's the plan... unless it rains of course :D

Mine should look like this within the next few months, but as I've said before I'd like it to look like Ken's in a few years...

Johan, thanks for all the photographs and pass on our compliments for our friends hard work and dedication.

Of course there is an easy way to have your Jeep looking like mine ??, that is BUY MINE, then you would have a mint factory finish one plus a barn find one . . . . . . . . . . problem solved.

.post-344-0-61215900-1554738546_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Of course there is an easy way to have your Jeep looking like mine ??, that is BUY MINE, then you would have a mint factory finish one plus a barn find one . . . . . . . . . . problem solved.

Who said anything about buying... I always thought you were going to leave it to me in your last will and testament... :P

Just joking, I hope you get to enjoy it for many, many years to come...

General Apathy

Hi Ken, looks like the inventory/stock of your shoebox……….

Rene

Hi Rene, well some may say sadly that that shoebox inventory is depleting as the items are being auctioned off, heres a further tranche of boots before boxing and sending to the auction photographer . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for adding a photo of the .50 Cal Browning versions, and as you say it is an aircraft model.

.post-344-0-49835500-1554738970_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Rene, well some may say sadly that that shoebox inventory is being depleted as the items are being auctioned off.

British army wartime boots are quite hard to find, heres a pair going to auction dated 1943.

.post-344-0-61795300-1554739336_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Who said anything about buying... I always thought you were going to leave it to me in your last will and testament... :P

Just joking, I hope you get to enjoy it for many, many years to come...

Hi Johan, its often said that you cannot take things with you, well surprise, surprise I trained as a tailor and I have made myself a shroud and added pockets to it so I'm taking it with me . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for your wishes for a lengthy future, maybe not too long I'm bored with television programmes now . . . . . . . .

.attachicon.gifpost-344-0-34924400-1456526108.jpg

Now that's a tempting thought :love: ...get that jeep to talk and the book will be on the best sellers list ;)

General Apathy

Now that's a tempting thought :love: ...get that jeep to talk and the book will be on the best sellers list ;)

Hi Ron, I keep reading your mention of Lieutenant J. Kostelec of SSF ( Special Service Force ) and thought I should show you these pieces, sadly I don't have any name for them.

.post-344-0-95951400-1554752354_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Hi Ron, I keep reading your mention of Lieutenant J. Kostelec of SSF ( Special Service Force ) and thought I should show you these pieces, sadly I don't have any name for them.

.attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_1603.jpeg

Hi Ron, forgot to add, I think the insignia is genuine enough but the cap piping isn't right, all these pieces came together when I bought the brass insignia, which is what I was really after at the time.

General Apathy

General Apathy, on 26 Mar 2019 - 6:25 PM, said:

Hi Erick, do you want to hear the funny thing, well funny for me, or more correctly should I say beneficial for me . . . . . . .

At the beginning of production I supplied as I said three hundred M-43 style jackets and pants for the Foy woods and Bastogne episodes, when the guys came to start preparing the suits for those episodes the ' cupboards were bare ' as the nursery rhyme goes. The three hundred suits had disappeared out the wardrobe department, I had to re-order a further three hundred sets in double quick time, which I managed to do.

Another funny experience was the requirement for several hundred pieces of equipment that I used to buy from a warehouse in the depths of France. As I already had other stocks sat in my motor I had a choice either plan # A drive two hundred miles to my depot and unload, then another hundred miles back to Dover ferry port with an empty vehicle. Or plan # B drive to Dover saving time and money, and call into the UK customs and declare all the cartons of equipment already in my motor before leaving the UK, so I went with plan # B and the customs said that was fine they were happy enough about that.

Now here's the shortened version of the return, approaching Calais the Douane ( customs ) were doing a roadside check of vehicles, I got a tug and asked for the paperwork for all the items I had on board. I explained which boxes I had invoice paperwork for, and that the other boxes were already in the motor and I had cleared them with English customs in Dover before sailing for France. At which the customs officer waggled his index finger across the front of my face and stated in French ' yes Monsieur, but you are NO LONGER in England ' and started to search the motor. Upon which he let out a loud yell when he spotted several .45 Cal 1911 pistols and magazines behind the front seats, his colleagues all raced over and surrounded the motor, at which I am shouting that they are all fake pistols and made of rubber for film work, when he found that he could bend them he was happier. I pulled out my folder of photographs I had taken at the studios, when they saw one of the extras who was laughing at the camera with all his stomach hanging out and blood soaked clothing, all the weapons were forgotten and so was the paperwork and invoices, as they turned the last page they wished me Bon Voyage . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Now to get back through the UK customs . . . . . . . thankfully all went smoothly.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 26 2019.

Hi Ken, great story.....one that couldn't happen today anymore, I'm afraid.

Rene

Hi Rene, Erick and Mikie, who each liked this story, here's the shot of the laughing, bleeding wounded soldier that the French customs guy saw in my studio album.

. post-344-0-79776500-1554756831.jpg

Johan, thanks for all the photographs and pass on our compliments for our friends hard work and dedication.

.attachicon.gifpost-344-0-34924400-1456526108.jpg

was this particular jeep a barn find?

General Apathy

Hi Simon, its amazing that so much stuff is still around, also how a lot of it was adapted to fit the purpose they desired.

Many years ago in Belgium we stood outside a farmers barn and found three or four sides cut from Jerrycans one of which was SS ( at the time never gave it a thought about asking for the cut-outs ?? ) the farmer was using the Jerrycans for draining oil out of his tractors and machinery.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 10 2019.

General Apathy

Hi Recon, no it only looks like a barn find, bought the Jeep when I was sixteen, so had it most of my life, it was my first Jeep with several others that followed but divorce can cure one of multi-Jeep ownership, along with GMC, Dodge Carryall, military Harley, military Chevrolet. hahhaaaaa.

I just like the patina of it, I keep it protected with frequent spraying of duck-oil which prevents ingress of rain into the bodywork. So many clean and fresh painted Jeeps roll around or through the area, I just like the aged appearance, goes along with my own bodywork, I tend to just shower though and not spray myself with duck-oil, ( duck-oil is a commercial product for protecting paintwork )

General Apathy

Hi Recon, more to the story of the Jeep, after deciding I would like to own a Jeep I started looking around for one and saw an advert for one about ten miles from my parents house and went to see it.

The owner explained to me that he had the Jeep and a second collectors car a Citroen 2CV, however his wife had demanded that he buy new carpets for the living room and to achieve this he had decided to sell the Jeep. Whilst there he showed me several original WWII US Army manuals which I wasn't particularly interested in at that time.

I did a deal with him for the Jeep and took it away, over the following weeks I thought about the manuals and went back for them, he answered the door and invited me in, lovely new carpets, but no sign of the wife, he'd bought the carpets but she had left anyway, I bought the manuals and also left . . . . . . . . . . feeling sad for him with the loss of his wife and his Jeep ! ! !

General Apathy

He should have sold the Citroen...

Might have convinced the wife to stay...

Hi Johan, the word to remember when someone threatens to leave if you don't do XYZ is . . . . . . . . . Bye ! !

This was the life lesson I learnt when I bought the Jeep.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 10 2019

General Apathy

Last Saturday evening a dozen vehicle owning friends and collectors arranged to meet at a small private cafe' / Bar in Carentan,

it is a private museum belonging to a French couple who collect WWII memorabilia. It only opens one evening a month as it is not operated as a business, just fellow collectors and friends. Jane and myself arrived early to position ourselves awaiting the arrival of our friends, this sis a photograph of the bar and seating before it filled up and became a hive of activity.

we all agree it is a fun location to get together . . . and waiting for next month.

.post-344-0-60558600-1554824775_thumb.jpegpost-344-0-60558600-1554824775_thumb.jpeg

General Apathy

Last Saturday evening a dozen vehicle owning friends and collectors arranged to meet at a small private cafe' / Bar in Carentan,

it is a private museum belonging to a French couple who collect WWII memorabilia. It only opens one evening a month as it is not operated as a business, just fellow collectors and friends. Jane and myself arrived early to position ourselves awaiting the arrival of our friends, this is a photograph of the bar and seating before it filled up and became a hive of activity.

we all agree it is a fun location to get together . . . and waiting for next month.

.post-344-0-43181600-1554824863_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Would love to spend an evening at JM and Sylvie's place...

Meanwhile vehicle work continued today with applying a correct USA number on the rear panel of my early 1945 Bantam made Jeep trailer...

post-92-0-63906100-1554831780_thumb.jpg

Hi Johan, its often said that you cannot take things with you, well surprise, surprise I trained as a tailor and I have made myself a shroud and added pockets to it so I'm taking it with me . . . . . . . . . . . .

Thanks for your wishes for a lengthy future, maybe not too long I'm bored with television programmes now . . . . . . . .

One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite TV shows, Millionaire Mr Howell from Gilligan's Island..."If I can't take it with me, I just won't go". Gilligan used to be on TV daily when I came home from school as a kid. Watch Gilligan, have a snack, go play with friends till dinner. I got to memorize the whole show and would start laughing before the jokes. Still love it to this day.

Ken, I just thought you'd be buried sitting at the wheel of the jeep. Kind of like the old Vikings.

Mikie