Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

post-344-1281731816.jpg

cont................................

Insignia of the U.S. Army ground forces involved in the chase and destruction of the retreating German units.

Check the link for a couple more photo's of the bridge, and also a map of the estuary area the bridge passed across.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/7916151

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 13 2010.

Edit, added the bridge map link

General Apathy
Surprised it wasn't rebuilt. Robert

Hi Robert, while we were at the bridge we discussed why the bridge never got rebuilt and our best conclusion was, that with twenty bombing raids and other dive bombing raids these would have unsettled the meagre foundations which would have been given to the bridge during it's building in the 1700's :thumbsup:

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 14 2010

Hi Scott, hope you managed to enjoy your time in Canada, I agree with you on your comment that there was a lot more to history than possesion of an item.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum normandy Correspondent August 13 2010.

We took a train into an absolutely beautiful wilderness area 100 miles from everywhere. Waterfalls, Canyons, Rivers, Moose, Bears...

hope your trip was as nice!

Johan Willaert

Hi Ken,

I see you have been rather busy these past few days....

Nice to see the updates and gave me something to read while vacationing here in the Colonies....

While here I met some mutual friends and they all asked me to say Hi!..

Will be back home next week and will catch up with tons of forum pages then.

Cheers,

Johan

General Apathy
It appears that nature is slowly reclaiming what was once hers, until "civilization" again rears its head.

Hi Jack's Son, who was it that spoke those classic words of civilization, ' we'll bomb them back into the stone age '

ken

By the way Jack's Son would I be correct in thinking that your surname is Jackson and that you have abbreviated it into ' Jack's Son' :think: :think: :lol:

General Apathy
We took a train into an absolutely beautiful wilderness area 100 miles from everywhere. Waterfalls, Canyons, Rivers, Moose, Bears...

hope your trip was as nice!

Hi Scott, pleased you had a great time, it's rather flat in this part of France so we don't have Waterfalls, Canyons, or Moose, however I enjoyed seeing the bears, but locally round here they are referred to as naturists :rolleyes: yes the trip turned out quite enjoyable. ;)

ken

General Apathy
Hi Ken,

I see you have been rather busy these past few days....

Nice to see the updates and gave me something to read while vacationing here in the Colonies....

While here I met some mutual friends and they all asked me to say Hi!..

Will be back home next week and will catch up with tons of forum pages then.

Cheers,

Johan

Hi Johan, hope the trip is all going well for you, seeing some good stuff and meeting good people.

Wait to hear more from you when your back, safe journey. :thumbsup:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1281902330.jpg

post-344-1281902350.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, picked myself up another Jeep today at a flea market, however this one was printed on card in Paris in 1945 at the war's end, and due to shortage of materials it was a cheaper way of producing a toy model.

Going to keep a look out around the flea markets for a suitable old frame so I can wall mount the Jeep. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15 2010

thats about the only jeep I could afford.Robert

By the way my oldest son was to fly out of Afghanistan today headed home. Thanks for your thoughts for him this last year

By the way Jack's Son would I be correct in thinking that your surname is Jackson and that you have abbreviated it into ' Jack's Son' :think: :think: :lol: [/font]

Actually, it's almost the other way around.

My father's name was John, as a child I was always introduced as Jack's son.

People thought my first name was Jackson. ;)

General Apathy
thats about the only jeep I could afford.Robert

By the way my oldest son was to fly out of Afghanistan today headed home. Thanks for your thoughts for him this last year

Headed home, two of the best words in the English language, lot's of us wish we could say that, sadly both my parents are gone, hope you all have a great family get together and time spent lovingly and happily. :hug:

Say hi to all from me. :bye1:

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15 2010

General Apathy
Actually, it's almost the other way around.

My father's name was John, as a child I was always introduced as Jack's son.

People thought my first name was Jackson. ;)

Hi John's Boy, my uncle was named John but always called Jack, he was a career soldier joined the Royal Artillery 1936, he made it home from Dunkirk in 1940 and was chastised by his mother ( Gran born provenance, RI ) for arriving home a little drunk from celebrating his escape from the Germans. Served the full war, went back into Europe on D-Day and made it all the way through 1939-45.

Uncle Jack ( Regimental Sgt. Major ) told me that the morning of the 5th June ( which was going to be D-Day until weather delayed it till the following morning ) he lost four of his unit when a petrol stove blew up on which they were cooking breakfast. Another man was also lost he had been sleeping in a truck lined up along the roads leading to the loading ports, the order to load was given and he jumped over the side of the truck and under the wheels of a passing truck and field cannon. Five men that would be classified as died on D-Day but never even left England.

Ken

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15 2010

Ken,

Welcome back! It made my night to see new posts on here! That paper jeep is too cool. I never knew they made them out of paper. That is very interesting!

...Kat

Ken, that cardstock jeep is pretty cool! What size is the sheet of cardstock? I'm just curious as it would be a hoot to scan it or reproduce it and build the paper model some 65 years later :lol:

Terry

General Apathy
Ken,

Welcome back! It made my night to see new posts on here! That paper jeep is too cool. I never knew they made them out of paper. That is very interesting!

...Kat

Hi Kat, pleased that it made your night checking the posts here, did you see 'Jack's Son ' topic on ' It's Saturday night, I have nothing to do I am bored any suggestions '.

Really pleased with the Jeep print, Jeep's are what got me into all of this madness.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 16 2010

General Apathy

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

I have just finished adding 200 colorful patriotic envelopes on a topic started by member ' Richard Kimmell ' on wartime envelopes and postage stamps, starting at post # 8, interesting interaction between civilians and servicemen during WWII

Hi Richard, I have some envelopes and stamps from WWII, in fact the next five posts are envelopes all addressed to the same person Herman Broomall, Uplands, PA, there's about two hundred of them too many to display here other than I have done in groups.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry616522

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 16 2010.

General Apathy
Ken, that cardstock jeep is pretty cool! What size is the sheet of cardstock? I'm just curious as it would be a hoot to scan it or reproduce it and build the paper model some 65 years later :lol:

Terry

Hi Terry, Thanks for the interest in the Jeep, funnily yours is the third comment I have received on re-printing and building the Jeep.

The sheet measures 20 x 14 inches approx. or 50 x 35 cms approx.

Ken

General Apathy

Here's the contents of a post I just added to a topic started by member ' Desertrat ' on where you found stuff, weirdest places.

You found it where

Back in the mid 1990's I used to travel to Chicago a couple of times a year to do the surplus stores there, I also used to do a militaria store called ' Jim's Military Relics ' out south-west of Chicago in Plano. I also used to enjoy driving through Joliet as some scenes of the ' Blues Brother's ' were filmed there.

So on the one trip to Jim's in Plano I found a steel plated U.S. meatcan set made in France WWI, I didn't need the item myself as I had one but I just figured that it was such a little rarity that I would stash it away somewhere for another trip or in case a friend wanted one, in which case we could phone Jim's describe where I had stashed it and get it shipped.

Well somewhere about the same time I had got to become pen-friends with a guy called Dan Pomone of Sterling, Illinois, we used to exchange information and stuff on our collections, however sadly we never managed to get to meet. A month after being at Jim's militaria I got a letter off Dan asking if I could find him any European made U.S. meatcans or canteens for his collection and specifically he would like a French made U.S. meatcan set.

I gave him a call and told him that I could help him find one to which he exclaimed that was quick, I didn't mention that I had stashed one at Jim's in Plano. I said to Dan take a ride out to Jim's militaria at Plano, once in the store follow the shelving along the left wall to the last compartment bottom shelf lift out all the modern camping type items and reach right into the back of the shelf and there's one there.

Well a couple of day's later I get a call from Dan and his first words were ' How the hell did you know I would find one there, are you psychic ' , then I had to explain that I had stashed it there the month before. As I had a travelling business companion it was never really convenient to meet up with Dan on the times that I was through Chicago.

It was however amusing that my rarity find and squirreling away of the item led to one happy collector a month later,he never thought he would find one so easily.

Ken

Here's the contents of a post I just added to a topic started by member ' Desertrat ' on where you found stuff, weirdest places.

You found it where

Back in the mid 1990's I used to travel to Chicago a couple of times a year to do the surplus stores there, I also used to do a militaria store called ' Jim's Military Relics ' out south-west of Chicago in Plano. I also used to enjoy driving through Joliet as some scenes of the ' Blues Brother's ' were filmed there.

So on the one trip to Jim's in Plano I found a steel plated U.S. meatcan set made in France WWI, I didn't need the item myself as I had one but I just figured that it was such a little rarity that I would stash it away somewhere for another trip or in case a friend wanted one, in which case we could phone Jim's describe where I had stashed it and get it shipped.

Well somewhere about the same time I had got to become pen-friends with a guy called Dan Pomone of Sterling, Illinois, we used to exchange information and stuff on our collections, however sadly we never managed to get to meet. A month after being at Jim's militaria I got a letter off Dan asking if I could find him any European made U.S. meatcans or canteens for his collection and specifically he would like a French made U.S. meatcan set.

I gave him a call and told him that I could help him find one to which he exclaimed that was quick, I didn't mention that I had stashed one at Jim's in Plano. I said to Dan take a ride out to Jim's militaria at Plano, once in the store follow the shelving along the left wall to the last compartment bottom shelf lift out all the modern camping type items and reach right into the back of the shelf and there's one there.

Well a couple of day's later I get a call from Dan and his first words were ' How the hell did you know I would find one there, are you psychic ' , then I had to explain that I had stashed it there the month before. As I had a travelling business companion it was never really convenient to meet up with Dan on the times that I was through Chicago.

It was however amusing that my rarity find and squirreling away of the item led to one happy collector a month later,he never thought he would find one so easily.

Ken

Ken,

That's a great story! Jim's had great stuff at good prices too! Eagle snap medical belts for $60.00, large size WWII uniforms, the list goes on. I ran up a lot of credit card bills there in the 1990s (some I am just now paying off!). Last I knew, he moved to Plano, Texas.

Did you ever get to Hirsch and Sons in Downtown Chicago? Hirsch was a WWII vet whose father started buying surplus after WWI (yes, WWI). He had a warehouse full of stuff with boxes marked "Japanese uniforms", "USMC dress blues", etc. I even found a size 50 and a size 52 WWII Army four pocket coat! He rarely sold anything as he rented to the movie companies that came to Chicago. Some of his stuff shows up in the movie "A Leaque of Their Own." He sold everything to an outfit in California that supplies movie companies.

General Apathy
Ken,

That's a great story! Jim's had great stuff at good prices too! Eagle snap medical belts for $60.00, large size WWII uniforms, the list goes on. I ran up a lot of credit card bills there in the 1990s (some I am just now paying off!). Last I knew, he moved to Plano, Texas.

Did you ever get to Hirsch and Sons in Downtown Chicago? Hirsch was a WWII vet whose father started buying surplus after WWI (yes, WWI). He had a warehouse full of stuff with boxes marked "Japanese uniforms", "USMC dress blues", etc. I even found a size 50 and a size 52 WWII Army four pocket coat! He rarely sold anything as he rented to the movie companies that came to Chicago. Some of his stuff shows up in the movie "A Leaque of Their Own." He sold everything to an outfit in California that supplies movie companies.

Hi Beast, can't recall all the dealers I hit in Chicago but don't think I made that one, but I did enjoy it out at Jim's also enjoyed the ride out there and seeing all of the small town America en-route, and eating a-la diner cars etc.

The funny thing when I was telling Dan where to find the meatcan was he was unaware that I had been to Jim's and for me to be stood 3.000 miles away in England giving him instructions to a store two hours drive from him spooked him out a little. :w00t:

Really pleased that you know of Jim's, it makes the collecting world that much smaller that we have used the same stores. ;)

Another funny little story is the time I went to Clark Burdin's militaria store just outside the base at Fort Lee, Virginia. Myself and a friend travelling with me went into Clark's store. After a while my friend Warwick ( 6ft 5 inches ) said he was going out into the street for a fag, Clark's head almost did a 360 degree rotation in a 100th of a second and said did I hear right you your friends going out for a fag, I clarified it as English slang for a cigarette.

Clark said ' thank goodness for that, I thought he meant he was going in the Gay bar four doors down the street ' :lol::lol:

Last time I was Fort lee, out the back they had just taken delivery of a train carriage used in Europe by Eisenhower, all the bathroom and toilet ware was British made, and there was a photograph of Churchill and Eisenhower stood inside the carriage and I managed to stand in that self same spot in the carriage that those two greats of WWII had :thumbsup:

Ken

Edit : returned the ' two greats ' from WWIII to WWII, Phew :whistling:

General Apathy

Hi Forum Members & Readers, just posted some nice clean tidy web field pieces at a thread satrted by member ' OD MAN ' I think it starts at post # 22 at the link below.

WWI Medical Officers belt eagle and LTD variations, USMC Garrison belt and pouches, pack of Beanies, M-28 pack, and photo's of a really clean unissued canteen set.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...83924&st=20

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1282042213.jpg

Love that bridge picture Ken, how historic :D

Hi Blake, pleased you liked the bridge, something different to find each day here, there's historical sites and castles dating back to around 1050 AD and might have been more if there hadn't been so much destruction during WWII, which has created great world interest because of D-Day.

I will keep adding stuff as and when I can, the attached photo above is the mannequin of John Steele hanging from the church tower in St Mere Eglise, this is in place all year round and has been for many years.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 17 2010.