Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Just showed the helmets to my wife. She states G-- D--- how big is his bed? Then she said ask him if its big enough for quite a party. ;);) Robert

General Apathy
Well, even a few of us yanks can appreciate a Dr Who reference

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, Dr. Who, yep he knows how to pack the stuff in.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 19 2010

General Apathy
Ken, I know I'm a few pages late on this one but, when I saw the photo of the bunker and barracks, I had to wonder, were you able to get inside the bunker? I see that the gun port has been closed but, I was curious if you were able to see inside. When I was in Malta last year, I came across the defensive bunker shown below which doubled as an Anti-Aircraft mount along the coastline. I really wanted to get inside to take a look but, it was sealed. I don't know why I wanted to get inside, maybe it's the thought of seeing what those looking from the inside out were seeing back nearly 70 years ago.

Hi Scott, first off what a troubled few months you have had with accidents, hope it's on the up and up for you and your family from here on. :thumbsup:

That particular bunker is on private land and marked ' no entry ', but there are plenty other bunkers over here and open to see inside. I think I posted on the forum here somewhere back a while the photo of the opening on the bunker at Pointe du Hoc before it was closed off from entry as too close to the edge. As Malta was never attacked then it would have just been open sea I suppose, but imagine the view from that Pointe du Hoc bunker at 6am on June the 6th 1944, I think the bunker was used in the film ' The Longest day ' back in the 1960's

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 18 2010

General Apathy
Just showed the helmets to my wife. She states G-- D--- how big is his bed? Then she said ask him if its big enough for quite a party. ;);) Robert

Hi Robert, Mmmmhh, how big is my bed, is it large enough for a party, did your wife ever get to Woodstock :rolleyes: ????? I can't answer about the size of the bed it's against the rules of the forum. :think:

I can tell you though without breaking forum rules, that the bed did have a bit of a wild youth when it was younger :blink:

ken

Hi Robert, Mmmmhh, how big is my bed, is it large enough for a party, did your wife ever get to Woodstock :rolleyes: ????? I can't answer about the size of the bed it's against the rules of the forum. :think:

I can tell you though without breaking forum rules, that the bed did have a bit of a wild youth when it was younger :blink:

ken

Come on Ken! We all know it's really only a WW2 surplus G.I. folding canvas cot !!

Ian :lol:

General Apathy

post-344-1279920170.jpgpost-344-1279920189.jpg

post-344-1279920201.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, shown here is a helmet seventh in the line of helmets shown in post # 1237. A little unusual in unpainted polished aluminum.

It is solid aluminum, similar internal fittings to the issue service helmet of WWI ( M-1917 ) this helmet however is a private manufacture and sold through a uniform sales outlet, on the liner surround is the following information in a circular cartouche.

Original and Only Aluminum Helmet, made on standard government dies, Sold by George Evans & Co, Uniform Makers, Philadelphia, PA.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 23 2010

post-344-1279920170.jpgpost-344-1279920189.jpg

post-344-1279920201.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, shown here is a helmet seventh in the line of helmets shown in post # 1237. A little unusual in unpainted polished aluminum.

It is solid aluminum, similar internal fittings to the issue service helmet of WWI ( M-1917 ) this helmet however is a private manufacture and sold through a uniform sales outlet, on the liner surround is the following information in a circular cartouche.

Original and Only Aluminum Helmet, made on standard government dies, Sold by George Evans & Co, Uniform Makers, Philadelphia, PA.

ken

I've seen some similiar that was used in construction. 45 years ago the Fire Dept had helmets shaped like that only they were constructed the same material as M-1 helmet liners. Robert

Ken,

That's really a cool helmet. I have never heard of an aluminum helmet. Would these even slow down a bullet? How many of these were made?

...Kat

General Apathy
I've seen some similiar that was used in construction. 45 years ago the Fire Dept had helmets shaped like that only they were constructed the same material as M-1 helmet liners. Robert

Hi Robert, packed away somewhere I have an old 1940's fire service helmet ( possibly military ) made as you mention in a very thick version of the liner composition, however it has the traditional shape of a fire helmet with wide surround and nape protection.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 24 2010

General Apathy

post-344-1279960409.jpg

Ken,

That's really a cool helmet. I have never heard of an aluminum helmet. Would these even slow down a bullet? How many of these were made?

...Kat

Hi Kat, I also thought it was pretty cool at the time I bought it, part of the other reason I bought it was that it was made in a WWI design but in aluminum, had a Philadelphia uniform manufacturers name in it.

However I have no information that this was or would have ever been used in or for combat as such. I can't imagine any part of the service using this as it stands, even ambulance or correspondents would not want a helmet

that would create such reflection.

Maybe it was for some form of reunion or dress parade post war, maybe it's so long ago only Craig Pickrall would know if he sees this post :lol:

Shown above is another helmet I have, a child's play helmet painted silver however and possibly named to the child on the side.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-1279961852.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers,

Here are the fibre liners in my collection, luckily bought very early when I started in the hobby. :thumbsup:

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1279968068.jpgpost-344-1279968095.jpg

post-344-1279968115.jpg

Those are nice!

I'm still looking for one (1) .... seems you got them all. ;)

Erwin

Hi Erwin, and don't I wish I had bought every one that I ever saw :crying: :think:

Couple more nice liners you might enjoy. ;)

Ken

General Apathy
Nothing like a bit of FIBRE in your diet!!!!.........517th

517th, Hence the expression ' I'll eat my hat ' ( fibre liner ) :w00t:

Ken

post-344-1279961852.jpg

Here are the fibre liners in my collection, luckily bought very early when I started in the hobby. :thumbsup:

Ken

your killing me Lewis :crying: :crybaby: Robert

General Apathy
your killing me Lewis :crying: :crybaby: Robert

Silly boy Robert, you live in the land of fibre liners :lol: as you get any can you send over so I can upgrade. :rolleyes:

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1280007242.jpg

Back in 1991 I was allowed by a dealer to go through his stock rooms which were separate to his retail store and so the retail customers never got to see what was tucked away. He had five floors of U.S. military surplus and during one of the visits I found an original manufacturers shipping carton containing six of these flak helmets ( H-28-CL ). ;)

I think the carton was dated mid 1944, it appears to be a later modification of the earlier M-4 leather flak helmet, with added hinged metal ear flaps covered in leather same as the helmet, the highly unusual and unknown aspect of this helmet is the addition of the large yellow star on top of the dome. :think:

Made by the Fox Chase Knitting Mills Inc. a division of the I Miller Parachute Company.

Ken

forum_ali_helemt_part_collection_18_July_2010__2.jpgforum_ali_helmet_part_collection_18_July_2010__3.jpg

forum_ali_helmet_part_collection_July_18_2010__1.jpg

ken

While I know that some have said that these were made to be used in construction as hard hats(which is probably where a lot of these ended up)... Originally these polished aluminum M1917's were made specifically after WWI for VFW's to use in Parade Honor Guards. I had one just like this a few years back and it had been adorned for a VFW post in Iowa.

General Apathy
Ken,

You just keep pulling out more and more cool stuff! I really like the leather helmet....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for your thinking that I have some cool stuff, always nice to show things to people who share the same love of all this stuff. ;)

Hopefully post a few more things in a couple of days, just going to post some information on a prisoner of war camp that was built at the rear of Utah beach after D-Day.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 25 2010

General Apathy
While I know that some have said that these were made to be used in construction as hard hats(which is probably where a lot of these ended up)... Originally these polished aluminum M1917's were made specifically after WWI for VFW's to use in Parade Honor Guards. I had one just like this a few years back and it had been adorned for a VFW post in Iowa.

Hi Scott, thanks for joining in and adding a mention to the similar helmet you had with VFW markings on it, and their use in parades. :thumbsup:

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 25 2010

General Apathy

post-344-1280068995.jpg

post-344-1280069029.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, here are two photographs taken from the information plaque at the location of a wartime American prisoner war camp for German occupants.

The site of the camp is at Foucarville a village mid-way between St Mere Eglise and Utah beach, it is located on the D-14 which runs through Foucarville and parallel to the shore line.

The two photo's above show the site of the entrance as it is today with the monument plaque, and a photo on the plaque of the gate entrance as it was in 1945.

The following post will have the details of the size, capacity and logistics of the camp

Ken

Reason for edit, spelling mistake on Foucarville. :blink:

General Apathy

post-344-1280069357.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, The first of two photographs taken from the information plaque giving details of the size, capacity and logistics of the camp

This was a massive camp.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-1280069471.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, The second of two photographs taken from the information plaque giving details of the size, capacity and logistics of the camp

This was a massive camp.

Ken