Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy
Closed cab and no winch.... For me the nicest GMC around....

Hi Johan, exactly, for me closed cab, no winch, short or long wheel base, no fifty cal mount, no set 7 crane mounts in the rear, just absolute basic vehicle, fantastic exhaust sounds when running and rolling. :thumbsup:

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 30 2010.

hbtcoveralls

, great photo looks terrific with all the full kit on the horse and the cavalry kit your wearing.

Thanks Ken we have alot of fun riding Cavalry, I tell people that if they think their military vehicles are expensive, try the Cavalry and then they'll see what expensive is all about. LOL

So maybe we will meet up again summer 2011. ;)

I hope we can, although I'm not sure your yard is big enough for 150guys to come camping.

Tom Bowers

General Apathy
, great photo looks terrific with all the full kit on the horse and the cavalry kit your wearing.

Thanks Ken we have alot of fun riding Cavalry, I tell people that if they think their military vehicles are expensive, try the Cavalry and then they'll see what expensive is all about. LOL

So maybe we will meet up again summer 2011. ;)

I hope we can, although I'm not sure your yard is big enough for 150guys to come camping.

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, your right my yard is not big enough for 150 or so guys, but the field next door certainly is and could be used, plans are still at an early stage yet but feedback so far is looking good, and people sound keen to participate.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 30 2010.

Johan Willaert
Cheers for the links Johan :)

You're welcome, Blake!

Hi Johan, exactly, for me closed cab, no winch, short or long wheel base

And actually I prefer a long wheelbase GMC....

BUT when it comes to SWB, I have always had a soft spot for the 4x4 Chevrolet Truck...

id_chevrolet_g506_g7107_700_01.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1277932369.jpg

And actually I prefer a long wheelbase GMC....

BUT when it comes to SWB, I have always had a soft spot for the 4x4 Chevrolet Truck...

Hi Johan, in the mid 1980's I had a Chevrolet fifth wheel model for towing articulated trailers, never managed to find the trailer for it though.

Here is a shot of my friends Chevrolet as I overtook him in my Jeep during a road trip Belgium - Holland I believe it was, note the name Chevrolet embossed in the engine side cover.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 30 2010

Hey Johan, you have a taste for nice vehicles man! A first model cargo chevy, on my want list for sure when I get the bomb carrier ready to drive (I just need another decade or so... :crying: ).

There was one for sale on milweb some times ago, in the UK and at a very reasonnable price.

This one is also for sale right now on the same site, another very nice and exceedingly scarce vehicle :jeal0001:

Hello Ken your friend's chevy is also very nice, is it a complete first model?

Best regards, Laurent M.

post-8590-1277935449.jpg

General Apathy

post-344-1278020287.jpg

post-344-1278020320.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers. Thanks Johan & Laurent for the great vehicle photos.

Today I was fortunate to have my camera with me when I visited a friend in Quineville which is about as far west as you can go on Utah beach, that is in the Cherbourg direction. The bunker and barracks is on the hill behind the town and on the road out of Quineville in the Montebourg direction.

Most of the German defensive gun batteries that have survived due to being reinforced concrete used to have wooden sleeping barracks built along side them, Quineville has one of the last remaining examples of these wooden barracks.

For the last twenty tears that I can recall this barracks and bunker on private land have virtually been obscured from vision by bushes, brambles and trees, recently in the last six months all this undergrowth has been removed and here is what can now be seen.

Sorry that this is not a then and now photo group, the monochrome photo with German troops is just a generic photo showing a similar wooden barracks building, and the colored shot is one I took today. In both photographs note the upright supports with the short horizontal wooden slats between.

At the multi bunker Azeville German battery site about five miles away there is the concrete floor remains of where a wooden barracks once stood, and when looking at plans for German defences then the outlines of wooden buildings can be seen

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 1 2010

hbtcoveralls

Great photo. I always kind of wondered what it was like stuck on the Atlantic Wall living in a concrete tomb and waiting for the invasion. Now I know that they actually lived in barracks, built adjacent to the fighting positons. How large was the barracks building you photographed? just wondering how many troops could be quartered there.

Tom Bowers

EasyRed1944

A Chevrolet truck is just adorable! My friend bought one in England 2 weeks ago. 1943 with an early type grill.

Ill try to post a picture if anybody is curious for it . (?)

Great topic to read over and over again!

General Apathy
Ken,

Very interesting. It is amazing what is still around today. Thanks for showing this...Kat

Hi Kat, yep lot's of strange bits and pieces around when you look about. Sadly the war generation are dying off and all that stuff that they have stored or treasured or just left where it was is all going as well as younger generations empty property or modernise places.

Hope you are well and still finding some bits over there. ;)

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 2 2010

General Apathy
Great photo. I always kind of wondered what it was like stuck on the Atlantic Wall living in a concrete tomb and waiting for the invasion. Now I know that they actually lived in barracks, built adjacent to the fighting positons. How large was the barracks building you photographed? just wondering how many troops could be quartered there.

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, not certain but I would have thought that maybe ten or twelve could have used it comfortably with cots each, even more space if bunks were used. There are two more bunkers in the field across the road, no signs of barracks there, the bunkers are virtually buried covering all openings. Further up the road there is a concrete block on the pavement with metal hoops indicating that it had some form of swinging barrier across the road.

It said that the Azeville battery even had a wooden theatre building there, since gone it was a much larger complex of bunkers and very large artillery.

Ken

General Apathy
A Chevrolet truck is just adorable! My friend bought one in England 2 weeks ago. 1943 with an early type grill.

Ill try to post a picture if anybody is curious for it . (?)

Great topic to read over and over again!

Hi Easy Red, yes please add a photo of the Chevrolet, funny how many times in the last sity years these vehicles have changed ownership and even countries.

Ken

General Apathy

Hi Forum Members & Readers.

About a year ago on this Reports from Normandy topic I mentioned the dangers of picking up anything that you may be unsure of which could be explosive. Two weeks ago a French ex soldier was walking over some land here and discovered a tank mine, he informed the Gendarmes by cell phone and it took them over two hours to deal with it and check the area once they arrived.

In today's Telegraph newspaper in England is a report of two men unknowingly carrying a WWI un-exploded shell in their luggage, which they state was bought at a street market for decoration at home. The report states that it was certified as un-fired and dangerous.

British Eurostar passengers try to board train with live artillery shell.

Two British Eurostar passengers sparked a security alert in France after trying to board the high-speed train carrying a live artillery shell.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/eurostar...lery-shell.html

Ken

We still have incidents here in the US with stuff found from the civil war. My Son is Ord Disposal and his base is building new expansive housing units on old training areas. As you can imagine their quite busy. But with all the wars seen in your neck of the woods I think theres probably unthinkable amounts still there, Robert

Ken

Thanks for posting the photo of the bunker

and barracks. Is interesting to see these

places which were once a hub of activity during

wartime now quite an peaceful.

Great to see the photos of the vehicles also!

Johan Willaert

Plenty of unexploded ammo in Belgium.... About 200 tons dating back to WW1 is found around Ypres EVERY!! year and on a field trip with Military cadets walking thru the Bois Jacques between Bizory and Foy North of Bastogne on May 4th, 2005, I came across this UXO in one of the old foxholes.... No doubt these were unearthed with the use of a metal detector and then irresponsably left behind for anyone to find??!!??

Both items were clearly marked and the Belgian Army EOD Services were alerted to pick up these vintage rounds........

BulgeRelics.jpg

Johan Willaert

About Atlantic Wall Bunkers....

Near my home part of the wall is open to the public...

It is composed of an Artillery Battery dating back to WW1, re-used by the Germans in WW2 and then left untouched until it was opened as a museum about 20 years ago

Incredible stuff!

http://users.telenet.be/alex.deseyne/ENG/AtlantikwallE.htm

teufelhund

It is composed of an Artillery Battery dating back to WW1, re-used by the Germans in WW2 and then left untouched until it was opened as a museum about 20 years ago

Incredible stuff!

Prince Charles Residence, the Brother of the former King Leopold the 3Rd, and Regent of Belgium

I remember the auction of his estate 20 years + ago

Amongst all the bizarrities offered for sale to the public... a full box of US K rations.

T

T

General Apathy
We still have incidents here in the US with stuff found from the civil war. My Son is Ord Disposal and his base is building new expansive housing units on old training areas. As you can imagine their quite busy. But with all the wars seen in your neck of the woods I think theres probably unthinkable amounts still there, Robert

Hi Robert, I have read some disturbing stories of people over there trying to deactivate these old civil war munitions.

The munitions that are around here in Europe from WWI & WWII became far more sophisticated in their potential.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 4 2010 ( USA Independence Day )

General Apathy

Incredible stuff!

Hi Johan & Teufelhund, thanks for your contribution in adding about the bunkers in Belgium and the information on how they had been spared demolition, I didn't realise that there was still so much that had been saved and protected for the future.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 4 2010 ( USA Independence Day )

General Apathy

post-344-1278279710.jpgpost-344-1278279733.jpg

Hi Forum Members & Readers, I spent the day outside today attempting to dig into ground that has had no rain for three months and also chop through some minor tree roots.

Using my standard store bought gardening tools, shovel, fork, and pick I was getting no where fast, and then I considered using one of my M-43 shovels. What a difference as the M-43 has a pointed and shaped blade it cut into the baked soil easier that the straight edged gardening shovel even with both my feet on the top of the blade.

Then as I encountered the small roots passing through the area that I was trying to trench for a wooden gravel board divider, the one side edge of the blade successfully hacked through the roots as it is a sharpened edge.

So thanks to my U.S. Ames 1944 shovel for saving and lightening the day's work, the gravel board is to separate the grassed area from a section of ground that I am covering with stone chips as it's such poor soil only weeds grow there. A well designed piece of kit that has survived and often been copied in the last 65 years. :thumbsup:

Ken

I know what your saying Lewis. Some 40 yrs ago I had to connect to the City Sewer System. Which meant digging a trench under my house. I have no basement. Only a shallow crawl space. Mostly laying on your side to dig with not much room for a good swing. Pick-Mattock and entrencihng shovel M1910. Did the trick. Robert

NorCalSaint
post-344-1213600375.jpg

I see its been a while since you posted this, but I thought I would share what I know...

I bought my chest last week off a guy here in Sacramento, California for $45 US. It does not have a plaque on the inside but does have the one on top.

According to what I have found online its listed as a Signal Corps BC-91 "Tool Chest"

As I am sure you know this thing is a tank!

July5th011.jpg

July5th012.jpg

July5th013.jpg

July5th014.jpg

July5th015.jpg