Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Great find for the BBQ! It does have an American Civil War appearance. That was my first thought as well. Be sure to post a picture when you get it placed in your BBQ!

...Kat

Hi Kat, Robert, Beast, Mikie, I attempted to take a shot of the plaque in situ behind the BBQ but decided that it doesn't really fit the space, it's too narrow for the size of the wall space and so looks out of place. I think I will have to try and find a wider plaque for the job. I like this plaque so much so, that what I think I will do with it is fix it to the wall above the kitchen door as a decorative wall plaque, maybe add a photo here once I have done that. ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 28 2016.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, that is a great can, and very rare I am sure! Good hunting!

Cheers, Graham

Hi Graham, for me a really interesting find, when I sent an image of the can to a friend he responded with ' I thought you had stopped buying militaria ' I replied with ' I didn't buy it, I stole it, for the price I paid ' :lol:

General Apathy

Before you know it, we will be at 1,000,000 views! This is a testament to your wonderful posts! This is by far my favorite thread on the forum.

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for your complimentary quote about this blog, should look back at the viewing figures and see how long it took to add the previous 300,000 views and then visualize when we will hit the million views. :dry:

General Apathy

Thanks Ken, applied the original style blue drab hood (bonnet) numbers this morning...

U.S.A. 20150051 is the original number for this GPW

As from next week I will be applying Canadian Army markings over the US ones...

Hi Johan, well done on nearly being finished, really pleased with the choice of color you have done the hood numbers with ^_^.

most people use too deep a shade and something that's more suitable for a public swimming pool décor. :o

General Apathy

Robert and Terry, thanks for letting Johan know how much you enjoyed the Jeep rebuild photos he posted.

Johan's way beyond keen on doing a decent job when he gets involved in things.

General Apathy

Today in Ste Mere Eglise . . . . . . . . . .

This morning I drove the Jeep over to the square in Ste Mere Eglise to take coffee with friends at one of the cafe's.

The Jeep was parked across the road in the car park opposite our kerbside table, we were really amused when a guy walking his dog actually picked up the dog and placed it on the passenger seat and took photos of it in the Jeep.

That dog is sure going to have some great photos to show his fellow canines when he gets back home from his holidays . . . . . . . . . :lol:

American Graffiti

Hi Ken,

:P that's funny, maybe dogs do have photo albums..

I'm thinking more the owner grudgingly put him in there, because he really wanted to be in the picture, but.. the dog can hardly take the picture now can he. Damn, lucky dog.

Good story, as usual, always good to hear your Normandy anecdotes!

Keep up the good work

AG

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

:P that's funny, maybe dogs do have photo albums..

I'm thinking more the owner grudgingly put him in there, because he really wanted to be in the picture, but.. the dog can hardly take the picture now can he. Damn, lucky dog.

Good story, as usual, always good to hear your Normandy anecdotes!

Keep up the good work

AG

Hi AG, thanks for sharing your enjoyment of the Jeep and dog. here's another little story from this week indirectly linked to the Jeep. As I now have the Jeep back on the road again I spent a couple of days in the garages tidying stuff out working down towards the Jeep trailer that has been sat there slowly getting covered in stuff thrown into the garage.

On the morning of my second day I slipped on my work jeans, had a coffee and bowl of cereal and went out to continue in the garage. Whilst down there I put my hand in my left pocket and recall thinking that the pocket should be empty as it had been the day before, so I felt there was something soft and gooey like a part chewed gummy-bear in there, but as I don't eat candy I knew it couldn't be that, then I had images of a soft warm squidgy baby toad or frog, why on earth would it be either of those, when I gripped it and pulled it out it was one of the largest wriggly spiders I ever encountered, he flew through the air at almost the same speed as Concorde, I have had two hospital visits in the last few years from spider bites so I don't befriend them at all . . . . . . . . . . :dry:

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 29 2016.

Hi AG, thanks for sharing your enjoyment of the Jeep and dog. here's another little story from this week indirectly linked to the Jeep. As I now have the Jeep back on the road again I spent a couple of days in the garages tidying stuff out working down towards the Jeep trailer that has been sat there slowly getting covered in stuff thrown into the garage.

On the morning of my second day I slipped on my work jeans, had a coffee and bowl of cereal and went out to continue in the garage. Whilst down there I put my hand in my left pocket and recall thinking that the pocket should be empty as it had been the day before, so I felt there was something soft and gooey like a part chewed gummy-bear in there, but as I don't eat candy I knew it couldn't be that, then I had images of a soft warm squidgy baby toad or frog, why on earth would it be either of those, when I gripped it and pulled it out it was one of the largest wriggly spiders I ever encountered, he flew through the air at almost the same speed as Concorde, I have had two hospital visits in the last few years from spider bites so I don't befriend them at all . . . . . . . . . . :dry:

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 29 2016.

Yikes!! I don't mind spiders as long as they don't suprise me. I would still be smacking it if that had happened to me

Never a dull moment at "Chateau Lewis"!!!...You may have to rethink your storage of your arachnid collection.

On the bright side at least it wasnt a snake...:D

General Apathy

Well this week stories of Dogs, Spiders and now woodworm . . . . . . . .

Working down in the garages at the bottom of the garden I took the opportunity to treat for woodworm a 'K' Ration crate I had been given this week. I used one of my thick plastic storage trays and poured about four times the depth of the worm killer to the thickness of the planking used for the crate, this would ensure that each side alternately would be totally immersed in the liquid rather than just brushing it on the surface. I left each side for half-hour to an hour per side and then started again with the first panel.

hopefully this would create over-kill, maybe poisoned in one way or another, drowned or suffocated . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 29 2016.

post-344-0-01737500-1472494563.jpg

Good luck with your "chemical warfare" Ken!

BTW, your spider story gave me the creeps. I would have used the jeep to drive over that bugger a couple of times!

Terry

General Apathy

Yikes!

I agree with LtRGFRANK, it's when the devils surprise you, would like to see your face when you pulled it out! :lol:

AG

Hi Robert & AG, surprisingly I have never handled a large spider before, in the few seconds of holding it, it seemed quite soft, warm and large plus squidgy, not so certain what my face looked like at the time, perhaps that was soft, warm and squidgy if there had been a mirror to look in . . . . . . . . . . :dry:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 30 2016.

General Apathy

Never a dull moment at "Chateau Lewis"!!!...You may have to rethink your storage of your arachnid collection.

On the bright side at least it wasnt a snake... :D

Hi Ron, well I haven't seen any snakes here so far, and probably would like that to continue . . . . . .

However I do have a small snake story, or a story referencing snakes. back in the late 90s and early 2000s I used to visit my friend Tom Gordon ( Military Marketplace ) down in Georgia, we used to go searching out militaria together. On one of my early visits to Tom we were down for dropping in to a place that he had made arrangements with for us to check it over. On the due morning with temperatures in the mid 90s I got down to the truck, Tom was already on-board and fired the engine up as I approached and off we went. It was then that I saw Tom had thick denim jeans on with stiff leather boots on to just below the knee. I asked the question as to why he would be dressed like that given the temperatures, to which he replied that the place we were heading to was out in the boonies, long grass, old abandoned military vehicles and falling down barns, with possibly black-widow spiders, snakes and maybe some gators.

It was then that I wondered why I was dressed in a T shirt, Reeboks and crotch-creepers ( running shorts ), a very nervous day ensued stepping in Toms footsteps through the long grass like a prancing ballerina. In the UK we don't have black-widows, poisonous snakes or gators . . . . . . . . . . . . . :(

We did find some good stuff, I sat in one barn on a mountain of several thousand WWII canteen cups, checking for dates and condition, each one a potential home for some of those black-widdowy things. In another barn we found twenty or thirty U.S. parachute drop containers, one of which I shipped back home with me.

General Apathy

Good luck with your "chemical warfare" Ken!

BTW, your spider story gave me the creeps. I would have used the jeep to drive over that bugger a couple of times!

Terry

Hi Terry, don't think he would have waited around while you got the Jeep started. . . . . . :lol:

General Apathy

OK, I'm waiting for the elephant story next.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, sorry no elephant stories, couldn't really have any in the garden yesterday not with a bosh of wood-worm poison laying around down there. . . . . . ;)

General Apathy

Old show photo . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi as this blog has become long and varied in subject I can't recall everything I have shown in the past, so hopefully I haven't used this photo before.

It was late 70s and our theme for this particular years event was an airfield scenario, we had plans to fly in a couple of Mustangs owned by friends but we were not allowed to do so by the UK air traffic control. So here are some of the ground crews posing with our quad-fifty mount.

post-344-0-20386100-1472547319.png

It was late 70s and our theme for this particular years event was an airfield scenario, we had plans to fly in a couple of Mustangs owned by friends but we were not allowed to do so by the UK air traffic control. So here are some of the ground crews posing with our quad-fifty mount.

Great picture! Are you in this picture? Hard to tell with the hats and glasses.

...Kat

Johan Willaert

Robert and Terry, thanks for letting Johan know how much you enjoyed the Jeep rebuild photos he posted. Johan's way beyond keen on doing a decent job when he gets involved in things. Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 28 2016. .

Thanks Ken... I've always thought that there's no point in NOT doing things right... The effort's the same so one might as well go for it...

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, well done on nearly being finished, really pleased with the choice of color you have done the hood numbers with ^_^.

most people use too deep a shade and something that's more suitable for a public swimming pool décor. :o

Yes, finding the correct color proved to be quite a challenge, until Geert managed to get a sample which came out of an unopened WW2 can of US Army Lusterless Blue Drab...

It is quite weird as the hue changes a lot depending on the angle you look at it and the light of the day...

Here's a better view:

post-92-0-88328900-1472634629_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

Great picture! Are you in this picture? Hard to tell with the hats and glasses.

...Kat

Hi Kat, that would be me sat centre front hands clasped, loved the early chevrons with USAAF wing & prop in the middle of the chevrons.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 31 2016.

General Apathy

New bunker museum opened at Crisbecq recently . . . . . . . . . .

About a month ago the command post situated at the Crisbecq battery overlooking Utah beach was opened in addition to the gun batteries museum already open across the road.

This is a separate enterprise to the existing museum, the owner has spent some time getting this prepared for public viewing, he is bilingual and offers a personal tour of the bunker in either English or French for 4 euros. It has a sub-terrain basement that was flooded for many years and impossible to enter. Post capture the Americans placed explosives and shells in an interior room and attempted to blow the entire bunker apart, it succeeded in just blowing an internal wall into the basement and preventing access to the lower floor. Due to either the internal explosion, shelling from the sea or aerial bombardment the drainage system was damaged and so the basement filled with water.

I wish him well in his endeavor as he is very enthusiastic.

http://www.marcouf44.com/

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 31 2016.