Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Very interesting paint job. I noticed that it has advertisement on the side about D-Day. Are these personal cars being painted or business cars?

...Kat

General Apathy

Looks comfy! But since it is a Mercedes, shouldn't it have a Balkenkreuz instead of a star? :rolleyes:

Hi Beast, maybe it would look better painted like a Messerschmitt 109, would be a great paint job and a Luftwaffe squadron insignia on the door. :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 13 2016.

General Apathy

Cool! Now I have to think about doing that to my Prius.

Hi Mikie, maybe I have mentioned this before, but just in case here it is. back in the late 70s we were on a multi-national military vehicle owners trip to the Ardennes in Belgium. One of the Belgian guys tagged onto the end of the convoy with his girlfriend in a white Citroen 2CV, one day he and his girlfriend went into town grocery shopping, while they were away a group of his friends taped out the shape of a star on the doors and painted the rest of the car OD green with paint brushes, then removed the tape leaving a neat white star on the doors either side. As this couple approached the gates of the camp everyone was alerted to behave normal and innocent, they walked to where they thought they had left the car, and we all watched as they turned this way and that way looking for their white 2CV, slowly everyone laughed as it dawned on them that the car was now green.

Apparently he was driving it several years later still painted as it was in the campsite, funny part about it was that only the lower half of the rear wheel could be reached to paint it, so it was funny watching them drive around with a rear wheel 50 /50 white and OD.

General Apathy

Very interesting paint job. I noticed that it has advertisement on the side about D-Day. Are these personal cars being painted or business cars?

...Kat

Hi Kat, I have no idea if it was a private car or a tour guide vehicle all that the numbers show on the side is the numerical date for D-Day June 6 1944, 70 anniversary..

here's the other one I shot last week, its evident what the star is, but the lettering I don't understand.

post-344-0-70854500-1471100815.jpg

General Apathy

Forethought by Willys and Ford . . . . . . . . . . .

Just been to the supermarket as it's a holiday weekend and the stores are closed Sunday and Monday, it was great forethought by Willys and Ford to provide a place on the Jeep to carry my French stick of bread . . . . . . . . . :lol:^_^

post-344-0-38596900-1471101139.jpg

Forethought by Willys and Ford . . . . . . . . . . .

Just been to the supermarket as it's a holiday weekend and the stores are closed Sunday and Monday, it was great forethought by Willys and Ford to provide a place on the Jeep to carry my French stick of bread . . . . . . . . . :lol:^_^

Ha! All part of the meticulous planning for the invasion of France!

Mikie

General Apathy

Amazing what you can find on the net . . . . . . . . . .

I was just reading about the first V1 rocket that fell on London June 13 1944 when mention of 74 American servicemen who were killed in London July 3 1944, again by a V1 flying bomb, nothing is mentioned in the article as to why such a large number of them were all killed at the same time and same place.

Must have been tragic coming a month after the D-Day landings and possibly thinking how lucky they had been not to have been involved in the events and landings on D-Day.

http://openplaques.org/plaques/11753

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15 2016.

Hi Mikie, maybe I have mentioned this before, but just in case here it is. back in the late 70s we were on a multi-national military vehicle owners trip to the Ardennes in Belgium. One of the Belgian guys tagged onto the end of the convoy with his girlfriend in a white Citroen 2CV, one day he and his girlfriend went into town grocery shopping, while they were away a group of his friends taped out the shape of a star on the doors and painted the rest of the car OD green with paint brushes, then removed the tape leaving a neat white star on the doors either side. As this couple approached the gates of the camp everyone was alerted to behave normal and innocent, they walked to where they thought they had left the car, and we all watched as they turned this way and that way looking for their white 2CV, slowly everyone laughed as it dawned on them that the car was now green.

Apparently he was driving it several years later still painted as it was in the campsite, funny part about it was that only the lower half of the rear wheel could be reached to paint it, so it was funny watching them drive around with a rear wheel 50 /50 white and OD.

Ha! Good story that I don't remember hearing before. But it does bring to mind our own story. When we moved into our house in 2003, the previous owners left us with a big purple circle painted on the wall of the "bonus" room. Some bonus. All 3 of us were in total agreement that it HAD to go, and soon. Well, 13 years later, the Big Purple Dot is still here, and has become a beloved feature of Casa Fusillo. post-2687-0-70450400-1471236728_thumb.jpg

Amazing what you can find on the net . . . . . . . . . .

I was just reading about the first V1 rocket that fell on London June 13 1944 when mention of 74 American servicemen who were killed in London July 3 1944, again by a V1 flying bomb, nothing is mentioned in the article as to why such a large number of them were all killed at the same time and same place.

Must have been tragic coming a month after the D-Day landings and possibly thinking how lucky they had been not to have been involved in the events and landings on D-Day.

http://openplaques.org/plaques/11753

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 15 2016.

That rings a bell in the back of my head. I am probably totally wrong, but I seem to vaguely remember it hit a theater or housing unit of some sort. A quick search didn't turn up anything about it. Hmmmmmm.

Mikie

General Apathy

Pootling around Normandy in the Jeep . . . . . . . . . . .

Yesterday a friend Dave took a short video clip of my Jeep passing along a Normandy farm track, not certain if this link is going to work, but let's give it a go, if it works have the sound on, Jeep sounds sweet as it passes the camera.

The title of the video was down to Dave and not myself . . . . . . . . . . .

Proper way to drive a Jeep! 003.mp4

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 16 2016.

General Apathy

Ha! Good story that I don't remember hearing before. But it does bring to mind our own story. When we moved into our house in 2003, the previous owners left us with a big purple circle painted on the wall of the "bonus" room. Some bonus. All 3 of us were in total agreement that it HAD to go, and soon. Well, 13 years later, the Big Purple Dot is still here, and has become a beloved feature of Casa Fusillo. attachicon.gif Purple dot.JPG

Hi Mikie, well perhaps you should make use of the spot to highlight a family photo hung in the centre of it, you could be right on the spot with that . . . . . . . . . .

Back in the salad days of my youth shortly after buying my first house I started dating a girl I met and In one conversation I bemoaned the fact that the bedroom of the new house had been painted in Mauve and Purple and I said that they were not really the colors for a young single male. However first time I made a visit to her bedroom the very same colors I had been decrying were the colors of her bedroom . . . . . . . ??

General Apathy

Interesting website relating to the fallen of Normandy . . . . .

I found this website two nights ago while researching something else, I found it quite emotional and moving looking through the site . . . .

> http://www.fallenheroesphotos.org/Servicemen/Detail/23427

Interesting website relating to the fallen of Normandy . . . . .

I found this website two nights ago while researching something else, I found it quite emotional and moving looking through the site . . . .

> http://www.fallenheroesphotos.org/Servicemen/Detail/23427

Awesome! Looks like you are going about 100 MPH. First thing I thought of was this...

Warp speed ahead!

Mikie

Awesome! Looks like you are going about 100 MPH. First thing I thought of was this...

Warp speed ahead!

Mikie

My deepest apologies. I just realized I replied to the wrong post, and cannot edit it. No disrespect intended. This was intended for your awesome jeep vildeo.

Mikie

General Apathy

Warp speed ahead!

Mikie

Hi Mikie, well you had me spluttering as I had breakfast this morning, a funny similarly . . . :lol::lol::lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 18 2016.

General Apathy

Ken,

Great video That is the way to drive a jeep!

...Kat

Hi Kat, quite funny not too many people want to ride with me at times, one comment I was given ' there's no doors, no roof, no seat-belts ' and my thoughts ' no fun ' if it had all of those . . . . . . . . . . . B)

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 18 2016.

General Apathy

My deepest apologies. I just realized I replied to the wrong post, and cannot edit it. No disrespect intended. This was intended for your awesome jeep vildeo.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, no worries fully understood what you had done, we all suffer from premature key-boarding at times . . . :P

General Apathy

Historical Normandy building for sale. . . . . . . . . . .

I passed by this historical building earlier this week and noticed that there is a ' FOR-SALE ' sign in the window . . . . . so for all you guys wanting to buy a piece of history, here it is . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

post-344-0-34298200-1471509466_thumb.jpg

General Apathy

buy it for me. the checks in the mail. believe me

Robert, you little fibber you, I know you would like it, but you haven't really sent a check ( cheque ) have you ^_^

General Apathy

Can't look at a picture like that and not wonder how many of them came home.

Hi Sundance, I agree with your thoughts, very often when I am blasé' and either driving or walking through Normandy I wonder what if I had to observe every building, every hedge-line, every tree, every ditch. It's incomprehensible to have to have lived, fought and died like that, thankfully Normandy has now been peaceful for over seventy years thanks to men such as the ones in the photograph.. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Historical Normandy building for sale. . . . . . . . . . .

I passed by this historical building earlier this week and noticed that there is a ' FOR-SALE ' sign in the window . . . . . so for all you guys wanting to buy a piece of history, here it is . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

A prime candidate for a Then and Now shot. Get the For Sale sign in the Now shot and maybe you can get a bit of commission when it sells!

Mikie