Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

That photo shows that you were profoundly brave (also evident in the picture of your tie a few posts up) , had complete faith in your classmates, or just like layng down on the job. One bit of advice my dad used to give from his army days was, never stand when you can sit, never sit if you can lay down.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, never claim to be brave when stupidity get's you there first . . . . . . . . . :lol:

also the brave may not live forever, but those that don't even try, never lived at all. . . . .. . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 22 2016.

General Apathy

Ken,

You need to write a book about your life! Is there anything that you have NOT done? :lol:

...Kat

Hi Kat, there's much I have done, but not much to regret that I didn't do . . . . . . .

here's a shot taken a few weeks back when I attended the school reunion, this is a shot of us entering an old closed down slate mine, as it's no longer a working mine then the pumps that would have kept the place dry have ceased to work and water now

runs through the mine. Inside we had to cross a couple of sumps of water or small lakes paddling small rubber boats to continue the route and also in one spot a waterfall of water to a different entrance / exit.

Loved it, in one large cavern about fifteen of us sang a traditional Welsh song ' Men of Harlech ' due to the echo it sounded more like fifty of us, as the group wandered away from the cavern I took the opportunity to give my impression of ' ha-ha-a-ha-ha it's the Woody-Woodpecker song '. -_-

post-344-0-45945600-1466631067.jpg

General Apathy

Ken,

You need to write a book about your life! Is there anything that you have NOT done? :lol:

...Kat

Oh and Kat, there's much I can't admit to, that is, to my daughter . . . . . . . . . . . . B)

General Apathy

From the Shoebox . . . . . . . . .

OK, getting back to militaria from my brief sojourn away. This photograph may have been shown before, but at that time relating to helmet stands, I never offered a description of the item stood in the middle.

It's German navy, dated 1940 and called an ' Anzeiger C-39 ', I believe it to be used for gun laying 15cm ( 6 inch ) shells, it gives distance and wind-drift etc, I have not been able to find out very much about it, there is scant information on the internet, and the one site that does mention Anzeigers it does not have one to compare it with.

It would be interesting to find out what type of ship would have been fitted with 15cm guns, maybe that would narrow it down a little as to what ship it might possibly have been used on, I believe the German navy was not that large during WWII.

post-344-0-15169600-1466633250.jpg

"...never claim to be brave when stupidity get's you there first.." Ha! That could be the moto of my life. Mind if I borrow it?

I did a little quick googing of German navy 15cm guns and was quite confused. One site said they were used on larger ships, and another said they were mounted on everything from U-boats on up. Some were used on shore defenses, but the only locations cited were in Scandinavia. So that narrowed it down to just about anything. Cool piece, though.

Mikie

General Apathy

Thanks all... Ken's jeep looks even better with the shed patina...

Hi Johan, thanks again for the comment on the look of my Jeep, just downloaded this shot of the jeep as it came out of the barn for the first time after years of storage, thankfully there is no real damage from it's storage but the patina as you say just says ' this Jeep was there ' . . . . . . . . . . . ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, June 26 2016.

post-344-0-94886400-1466973632.jpg

General Apathy

"...never claim to be brave when stupidity get's you there first.." Ha! That could be the moto of my life. Mind if I borrow it?

I did a little quick googing of German navy 15cm guns and was quite confused. One site said they were used on larger ships, and another said they were mounted on everything from U-boats on up. Some were used on shore defenses, but the only locations cited were in Scandinavia. So that narrowed it down to just about anything. Cool piece, though.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, thanks for adding what you found, I managed by the use of different word search found this German archive site, it shows a photo of the side of the Bismarck and the 15cm secondary guns that it carried, twelve of them in total, and the size can be judged by the two men stood alongside.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bundesarchiv_Bild_193-06-7-16,_Schlachtschiff_Bismarck.jpg#filelinks

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 26 2016.

General Apathy

Normandy News . . . . . . . . . .

It's sad news that the tank museum at Carentan is to close shortly, all of the items have been photographed for an auction in September, I have held off from posting this news as I hoped against hope that it wouldn't be the case.

Sadly I feel that it was sited in a bad location along side the N13 motorway ( freeway ) without any immediate exit into the museum. By the time it could be seen from the motorway then it was not obvious how to get to it, and driving at 70-mph ( 110-kph ) drivers were past it with some distance to the next exit to turn around and travel back to it, and maybe by then unwilling to try and find the route to it.

I would suggest any local forum members should try and get to see it ( maybe again ) before the doors close for ever, once this collection is broken up I can't see anyone else putting together what is to be seen there now.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 28 2016.

post-344-0-07268500-1467101982.jpg

Ken,

So sorry to hear about the loss of the museum at Carentan. You are correct. Unfortunately, location does mean a lot for businesses. Hopefully some of the other museums around there can purchase these items so they can still be on display for others to see.

...Kat

Pardon my French, but that stinks! It seems to me something like that would be a natural there. But there is that old saying about the 3 most important issues for real estate...location, location, and location. We've had a similar situation here in Northern California with the USS Hornet up in Alameda. It is a fantastic museum, a great and historic ship, in a stunningly beautiful location scenery-wise, but there are issues with just getting to it. As Kat says, I hope that something good happens with the collection.

Mikie

General Apathy

Ken,

So sorry to hear about the loss of the museum at Carentan. You are correct. Unfortunately, location does mean a lot for businesses. Hopefully some of the other museums around there can purchase these items so they can still be on display for others to see.

...Kat

Hi Kat, here's another shot of the museum for you and other members that will never get to see it, I shall probably attend the sale if I can, but can't say that I will be looking to buy anything.

post-344-0-23770300-1467148571.jpg

General Apathy

Pardon my French, but that stinks! It seems to me something like that would be a natural there. But there is that old saying about the 3 most important issues for real estate...location, location, and location. We've had a similar situation here in Northern California with the USS Hornet up in Alameda. It is a fantastic museum, a great and historic ship, in a stunningly beautiful location scenery-wise, but there are issues with just getting to it. As Kat says, I hope that something good happens with the collection.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, yes I was going to add those very same three words to my initial post about the museum. Lets hope that all the stuff ends up somewhere we it will be seen and appreciated. I feel so sorry for the owners and all the work and effort that went into setting up the museum, and not to be a success.

post-344-0-55887200-1467149056.jpg

Yeah, if we hit the lottery, I'll be on the first plane over there. After 4 years of drought, I'm trying to decide on what to do with my mess of a front lawn. That half-track would look wonderful there! It is a bit too clean looking though. It would be better with a dash of that patina.

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi Kat, Robert & Mikie, here's a few more choices for you to spend your bucks on, plenty more pieces there for you to ship home, if your winnings were plentiful then why not just buy the lot and move this way, easier than shipping this lot to the States.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 29 2016.

post-344-0-78359700-1467233351.jpg

I'm soooo starved for more Then and Now posts here that I'm going to carry out my threat back in post 9258 and put up some more Then and Not-Quite-Nows from my trip to the Philippines about 20 years ago. While most know about the fall of Corregidor Island in 1942, much less known is the intense fighting to retake the island in 1945. These are a few shots of the Mile Long Barracks on Corregidor. the first shot is from happier pre-war days. I found this photo on several sites, but none have any date or source infopost-2687-0-88756800-1467413837.jpg.

On Feburaury 16, 1945, the parade ground near the Mile Long Barracks was one of the landing zones for the airborne attack by the 503rd Airborne.

post-2687-0-52439800-1467413976.jpgpost-2687-0-92443700-1467413977.jpgpost-2687-0-64017600-1467413980.jpg

And here is the not-Quite-Now view of the barracks I took in the early 1990's. My daughter cannot comprehend that I did not take any selfies there! The island is now well preserved and is well worth a visit.

Sorry Ken if I'm stealing your thunder with this. I really do enjoy your Then and Nows, and appreciate the effort it takes to do them. This is just a small thank you on my part from the other end of the Earth.

Mikie

post-2687-0-81303400-1467414215.jpg

post-2687-0-91312800-1467414369.jpg

General Apathy

I'm soooo starved for more Then and Now posts here that I'm going to carry out my threat back in post 9258 and put up some more Then and Not-Quite-Nows from my trip to the Philippines about 20 years ago. While most know about the fall of Corregidor Island in 1942, much less known is the intense fighting to retake the island in 1945. These are a few shots of the Mile Long Barracks on Corregidor. the first shot is from happier pre-war days. I found this photo on several sites, but none have any date or source info

On Feburaury 16, 1945, the parade ground near the Mile Long Barracks was one of the landing zones for the airborne attack by the 503rd Airborne.

And here is the not-Quite-Now view of the barracks I took in the early 1990's. My daughter cannot comprehend that I did not take any selfies there! The island is now well preserved and is well worth a visit.

Sorry Ken if I'm stealing your thunder with this. I really do enjoy your Then and Nows, and appreciate the effort it takes to do them. This is just a small thank you on my part from the other end of the Earth.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, many thanks for adding some then & now from the other side of the world, and belated thanks for the shots you added previously whilst I was missing from the forum. I think I may have a couple of pre-war brass coins or tokens from the Corregidor barracks, if they are to hand I will try and add a photo to the topic.

This has been a really busy year for me and I have not been able to spend much time on the military side of things. Last weekend my sister and brother-in-law left for home after visiting for two weeks. I finally got work finished on the jeep during the week, when it was all preps for the Tour de France cycle race to pass through the area and finishing the section at Utah Beach.

Yesterday 2nd July around forty of us, a mixture of French and British friends set up a marquee along with a BBQ in a field beside the road for the section of the race from Ste Mere Eglise through Chef du Pont and onto St Marie du Mont and Utah Beach. Attached is a shot of myself on-board the Jeep waiting for the cyclists to pass by.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 3 2016.

post-344-0-99363700-1467582789.jpg

General Apathy

Tour de France Normandy 2016 . . . . . . ..

And here they come speeding up the road towards me, I think it was estimated at about 50 mph during the commentary, they had about 12 kilometres to the finish at Utah Beach. I was later told that the first five people over the finishing line laid their winners flowers on the memorial close to the museum.

Mark Cavendish a British sprinter won the coveted yellow jersey for this section, the mileage was 116 miles ( 188 Kilometre ) which took around four hours approximately.

post-344-0-56857800-1467583548.jpg

You sure do have a heap of stuff going on. Hope you are enjoying all of it. Mmmmm, did you say BBQ? We had one last weekend at the in-laws. Oh man it was good. My wife's cousins are awesome on the grill.

Mikie

General Apathy

You sure do have a heap of stuff going on. Hope you are enjoying all of it. Mmmmm, did you say BBQ? We had one last weekend at the in-laws. Oh man it was good. My wife's cousins are awesome on the grill.

Mikie

hey mikie, well if your wife's cousins were awesome on the grill, what will you have next time you BBQ. :o

hahhaaaaa apologies but you did leave yourself wide open for that one. :lol:;)

Happy Holidays everyone . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 4 2016.

post-344-0-96751000-1467608296.gif

Johan Willaert

Attached is a shot of myself on-board the Jeep waiting for the cyclists to pass by.

Good to see the Jeep out and about... I watched the Saturday Tour stage on TV... Was great to see so many familiar places.... and a Brit beat the Germans in the sprint on the beaches of Normandy... ;-)

Johan Willaert

Yesterday 2nd July around forty of us, a mixture of French and British friends set up a marquee along with a BBQ in a field beside the road for the section of the race from Ste Mere Eglise through Chef du Pont and onto St Marie du Mont and Utah Beach. Attached is a shot of myself on-board the Jeep waiting for the cyclists to pass by.

Went back and took a closer look at the live coverage of that stage of the Tour de France.....

Can you spot yourself?? And the Jeep??

post-92-0-62045100-1467668876.jpeg

General Apathy

Went back and took a closer look at the live coverage of that stage of the Tour de France.....

Can you spot yourself?? And the Jeep??

Hahahahahaaa Johan, I was going to comment that you had me ' dancing on the ceiling' but you must have spotted your mistake and rotated the photo to the correct view.

Thanks I had seen it, but trying to snatch a photo from a stopped video image did not appear that clear, your photo snatch is better than the ones I grabbed.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 4 2016.

Johan Willaert

Now that is weird... I took the screenshot from my TV with my iPad... and posted the picture from there...

Looking at the post on my iPad, the picture is OK but on a PC the picture is upside down...

Let's see if OK now??

post-92-0-20358700-1467705759.jpg