Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Ken,

You nailed it with the vehicle owner categories, made me laugh a little too.

ATB

Dave

Hi David, thanks for your thoughts on the list of vehicle owners, the funny part is that we see people in these categories, but we ourselves are even portrayed in them, however I wonder if other peoples views of you are in line with your own.

Hahaha David, I am not speaking of ' you ' personally, I was using you in broad terms of vehicle owners, and that includes myself.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 4 2016.

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

We'd rather be referred to as

#1.1 vehicle owner, bought it as a project, DID rebuilt it himself, and runs it, repairs faults, keeps the original uniforms in the collection at home, wears denims and regular clothing, with a touch of vintage military wear such as a Tanker's Jacket or A2 Leather Jacket... Johan. ( see pictures above)

Hello #1.1, thanks for the extra shots of Geert's Jeep, and Categorizing yourselves, I will always think of you in future as #1.1 when I see you in a Jeep . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

( I am not a number, I am a free man ) The Prisoner TV series.

General Apathy

As a non-jeep owner (not sure what that is in the numbering system), all I can say is you folks do an amazing job keeping these pieces of history alive. Add to whatever satisfaction you get from doing what you do the appreciation from us who get to see the results.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, it is hard to quantify the enjoyment that all vehicle owners get from owning, restoring and driving the vehicles that they restore, but it's a hell of a kick when doing it and sharing those times with other friends, or public. It used to be great fun showing, talking and giving veterans a ride in your vehicle for parades and events, but sadly those days are drawing to a close.

A little insight I would offer goes like this. On a trip to the anniversary of Arnhem in the late 90s or early 2,000s a group of British airborne veterans were stood talking to restored vehicle owners, the one comment made which drew full agreement from the remaking vets went like this. " when we first saw all you vehicle owners at the anniversaries back in the 70s we wondered what made you attend the reunions driving the vehicles and wearing the uniforms that we had fought in ". But today as our numbers dwindle we want to say thank-you as your continued appearance at these anniversaries will keep the memories of our wartime experiences alive long after we are all gone .

A lovely comment from veterans that were ' there' . . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

post-344-0-39901900-1462395436.jpg

Forum friend and member Doyler ( Ron ) has posted an unusual item that he acquired, a rubber map of Iwo Jima used for instruction pre-invasion of the island, see Ron's topic in the camps and posts section. I was fortunate through another friend to acquire a WWII advert of the company making the rubber relief maps.

I have Attached the advert in two halves as it will be easier to read the text of the advert in the following post, here is the top half of the advert.

General Apathy

.post-344-0-19413400-1462396870.jpg

Second half of the advert relating to the rubber maps of Iwo Jima used during WWII?

RustyCanteen

Hi Mikie, it is hard to quantify the enjoyment that all vehicle owners get from owning, restoring and driving the vehicles that they restore, but it's a hell of a kick when doing it and sharing those times with other friends, or public. It used to be great fun showing, talking and giving veterans a ride in your vehicle for parades and events, but sadly those days are drawing to a close.

A little insight I would offer goes like this. On a trip to the anniversary of Arnhem in the late 90s or early 2,000s a group of British airborne veterans were stood talking to restored vehicle owners, the one comment made which drew full agreement from the remaking vets went like this. " when we first saw all you vehicle owners at the anniversaries back in the 70s we wondered what made you attend the reunions driving the vehicles and wearing the uniforms that we had fought in ". But today as our numbers dwindle we want to say thank-you as your continued appearance at these anniversaries will keep the memories of our wartime experiences alive long after we are all gone .

A lovely comment from veterans that were ' there' . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi Ken!

I have been way away too long from this thread with some offline things keeping me busy. I am happy to sit down and read it again!

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story!

Regards,

RC

RustyCanteen

As a non-jeep owner (not sure what that is in the numbering system), all I can say is you folks do an amazing job keeping these pieces of history alive. Add to whatever satisfaction you get from doing what you do the appreciation from us who get to see the results.

Mikie

Hi Mikie,

I'd just like to add to what has been said, and say that so many people at shows or events do not stop to consider what a labor of love such an undertaking (restoration and maintenance) of a 71-75 year old vehicle can be. Unlike most cars, you can't just drive to the local branded-dealership and buy parts right off the shelf in the service department. Parts have to be sourced from a variety of places, in a varying degree of originality and prices which tend to rise as the supply dwindles. It is sometimes not even that simple to locate proper parts on short notice.

Reading something like the swell story Ken shared regarding the veterans just makes it all worth it.

Regards,

RC

General Apathy

Hi Ken!

I have been way away too long from this thread with some offline things keeping me busy. I am happy to sit down and read it again!

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful story!

Regards,

RC

Hi RC, pleased to hear from you again, and good to hear that you enjoyed the little story of the veterans thoughts, I think the same thought has been pretty much been echoed by American vets as their numbers have dwindled over the years. Ste Mere Eglise doesn't have that ' zing' that it had when there were numerous vets all gathered, listening to them all exchanging their stories and laughter with each other and it was possible to stand on the sidelines as an observer.

It was a privilege over the years to do that. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 5 2016.

RustyCanteen

Hi RC, pleased to hear from you again, and good to hear that you enjoyed the little story of the veterans thoughts, I think the same thought has been pretty much been echoed by American vets as their numbers have dwindled over the years. Ste Mere Eglise doesn't have that ' zing' that it had when there were numerous vets all gathered, listening to them all exchanging their stories and laughter with each other and it was possible to stand on the sidelines as an observer.

It was a privilege over the years to do that. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 5 2016.

Hi Ken,

Very true; it is a sight and sound that will never come again.

Due to some life events, I recently found myself walking the rows of marble headstones in a National cemetery. One in particular caught my eye. That headstone was for a man who was a World War One veteran, and whom died at the age of 98 in 1998. The realization struck me upon seeing it, that less than 25 years ago there were many WWI veterans (and their contemporary generation) among us. Today, there are none of course. The thought shifted to it's natural conclusion that most of the WWII veterans we have the pleasure of talking with today, are in their 90's too. The answer need not be said, but the realization that we are among the twilight of a generation is a sad one. There will be WWII veterans around for many more years of course, but the men and women who served earlier in the war will likely be gone before those who entered in 1945 will be.

Regards,

RC

Hi,

How true. My Dad and all my uncles, and many of my friends' dads, were WW2 vets. All have been gone for years. I just wish that I had written down or recorded all thier memories. All I have are my own fading memories of a few of the stories they used to tell. The last WW2 vet I got to talk with was a B-17 ball turret gunner about 10 years ago. It is great to have a place like this and folks here to help keep them alive at least in spirit.

Mikie

RustyCanteen

Hi Mikie,

The stories and memories are truly priceless, and you are fortunate to have them. I do not see WWII veterans out and about as frequently as I used to, and all of them that I knew personally have passed on now. Even just 15-25 years ago it seemed almost unfathomable that there would be a time when we could not talk with them. My interest in the various magazines and periodicals centering around WWII waned when the personal accounts began to become fewer and farther between. There is really nothing like hearing a story straight from the source; or at least reading their words.

Regards

RC

General Apathy

Just to say I am going to be off forum for a few days as I have family visiting this week. . . . . . . . . . .

Catch up shortly.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 6 2016.

Hi,

I no longer need to feel envious when I see a post about the amazing war relics Ken and his neighbors dig up in thier gardens in Normany. I found this amazing relic in my own garden! It is obviously battle damaged and had been in the ground a long time. Since the only battle fought near my house was the famous Battle of Santa Clara in 1847, this MUST be from that battle! This is sure to rewrite this history books!!!!

post-2687-0-50285600-1462814432.jpg

OK, just keeping you amused until Ken returns.

Mikie

General Apathy

Hi,

I no longer need to feel envious when I see a post about the amazing war relics Ken and his neighbors dig up in thier gardens in Normany. I found this amazing relic in my own garden! It is obviously battle damaged and had been in the ground a long time. Since the only battle fought near my house was the famous Battle of Santa Clara in 1847, this MUST be from that battle! This is sure to rewrite this history books!!!!

attachicon.gif garden tank.jpg

Mikie

Hi Mikie, seems like you have been breathing in too much OD paint for your own good, think your flying with the fairies on this one . . . . . . . Hahahaa

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 10 2016.

General Apathy

post-344-0-46158400-1462878188.jpg

Met up with a long time friend over the weekend and he had this photo on his memory stick, JW is the one stood in the centre of the photo leaning on the truck, I am sat in it, leaning on the steering wheel, taken about twenty years ago when we did a Pancho Villa display . . . . . . .

Hi,

Mikie

Mikie,

You are fitting in well with this group of crazy people who read Ken's posts. :D Do you think that tank succumbed to a firecracker or is the turret smashed from weight?

...Kat

.Met up with a long time friend over the weekend and he had this photo on his memory stick, JW is the one stood in the centre of the photo leaning on the truck, I am sat in it, leaning on the steering wheel, taken about twenty years ago when we did a Pancho Villa display . . . . . . .

Ken,

Great picture! Did you grow that mustache just for the Pancho Villa display? :D

...Kat

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Met up with a long time friend over the weekend and he had this photo on his memory stick, JW is the one stood in the centre of the photo leaning on the truck, I am sat in it, leaning on the steering wheel, taken about twenty years ago when we did a Pancho Villa display . . . . . . .

The Magnificent Seven?

Nice Border War impression

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

What a great picture. I remember doing those type of pictures but all my uniform shrunk

Really nice Villa display! I've been toying with the idea of putting one together for a while...

PS very nice relic, Mikie! Haha

General Apathy

Ken,

Great picture! Did you grow that mustache just for the Pancho Villa display? :D

...Kat

Hi Kat, I did grow the mustache for the display, however it lingered on a little longer than it should have, wish I had shaved it off again sooner than I did. It was an enjoyable display, we all had great fun at the time.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 11 2016.

General Apathy

The Magnificent Seven?

Nice Border War impression

Hi Ron, nice title thanks, however it should possibly be called the ' magnificent seven and a half ' poor old CB ( the half ) is partially obscured over the rear of the truck behind my elbow on the steering wheel.

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, nice to see the photo's and the excellent progress on the museums Jeep...

Thought you'd like seeing some more pictures of progress on the museum Jeep...

Body work....

post-92-0-54563500-1462995480.jpg

post-92-0-87876200-1462995512.jpg

Johan Willaert

Restored seats and new upholstery....

Front seats are both F marked, the rear seat not... Came like that in our Jeep...

post-92-0-87128100-1462995695.jpg

Hi Kat, I did grow the mustache for the display, however it lingered on a little longer than it should have, wish I had shaved it off again sooner than I did. It was an enjoyable display, we all had great fun at the time.

Back in my wild and wooley days, I had a beard and mustache for years. Not so much because I liked it, I just hated shaving even more. A few years ago while my lovely wife and daughter were out of town for a few weeks, I grew them back. At the airport picking them up, the very first thing they both said, in unison, and in stereo, at first sight of me was "Get rid of that thing!".

Mikie