Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Bunkers on this side of the world . . . . Utah Beach Normandy.

I think I have shown this bunker a couple of time before, back around 2008 when it looked in perfect condition, again maybe 2012 when the top roof section had cracked across the top. Here it is again taken in the spring of 2016 completely shattered due to the erosion of the sand dunes shifting under it's base walls, I had sadly been expecting this to happen for the last two years . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 1 2016.

post-344-0-14465000-1462092341.jpg

General Apathy

Bunkers Utah Beach Normandy . . . . . . .

A close up of the construction of this bunker, note how the base of the wall has been constructed using multi layers of concrete without any wooden framework or steel mesh, it was just poured into the dug out sand. The roof slab was just laid across the top without any connection to the side walls by way of steel mesh embedded inside the concrete.

Norman D. Landing Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 1 2016.

post-344-0-78684500-1462093224.jpg

General Apathy

Bunkers Utah Beach Normandy . . . . . .

It is often claimed in written documentation and books that the French workers forced to build a lot of these bunkers attempted to sabotage the construction in any way they could. Perhaps that is what we are seeing here in this close up of the weak and ineffective pieces of block thrown into the concrete. looking at the construction and the lack of steel bar within the concrete then I would have thought any direct hit above .30 calibre would have blown this bunker wide apart.

post-344-0-03804200-1462093744.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Went to a local MV show in Geert's September 1943 Willys MB yesterday...

Hi Johan, good to see Geert's Jeep out and about, looks great ;) just need to hide that vehicle plate when parked at a show . . . . . . . . .. :lol:

Say hi to the group and your father, hope to see them all in the summer.

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, good to see Geert's Jeep out and about, looks great ;) just need to hide that vehicle plate when parked at a show . . . . . . . . .. :lol:

Yes, we folded it back shortly after I took the picture...

Meanwhile here is a rather uncommon 'vehicle' we encountered at yesterday's show...

A WW2 US Army Signal Corps Communication Wire Laying Plow...

post-92-0-58116100-1462101174.jpg

post-92-0-63290300-1462101184.jpg

cutiger83

It is often claimed in written documentation and books that the French workers forced to build a lot of these bunkers attempted to sabotage the construction in any way they could. Perhaps that is what we are seeing here in this close up of the weak and ineffective pieces of block thrown into the concrete. looking at the construction and the lack of steel bar within the concrete then I would have thought any direct hit above .30 calibre would have blown this bunker wide apart.

Ken,

Very interesting. I wonder if they didn't use steel support because steel was in such short supply. Maybe they built these to last a short time but not a life time.

...Kat

cutiger83

Meanwhile here is a rather uncommon 'vehicle' we encountered at yesterday's show...

Very cool. I have seen pictures of these but never one in person.....Kat

hbtcoveralls

interesting Ken. I had a friend with the M-series 1950s era wire plow and it actually had a seat for an operator, that must have been a great (and safe) ride LOL!

Is there a preferred term you folks use to describe youselves when you have these vehicle meets and drive-arounds? Reenactors seems a little inadequate.

Also, what kind of reactions do you get from the locals, especially areas away from those away from the tourist areas? It must have seemed wierd for old-timers who were around for the real thing.

Mikie

General Apathy

A WW2 US Army Signal Corps Communication Wire Laying Plough...

Hi Johan, that's weird looking, never seen one of those before at a show, most people want the ' airborne ' equipment, or a standard trailer but this owner has gone for the ugly baby, completely unusable in terms that nothing can be carried in it like a trailer.

When they closed down the facility in Christchurch UK about twelve years ago it was the place that all the WWII Bailey bridge parts were fabricated, they virtually just threw away all the library of military vehicles and related equipment. I got to see the stuff just in advance of its disposal, there were manuals for equipment that you would never believe existed. ok there were other things such stone crushers, ice-cream making machinery, mobile shower units, road makers, large refrigerated trailers, etc, all items that were necessary then but not wanted by collectors or even possible to find now

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 2 2016.

General Apathy

Ken,

Very interesting. I wonder if they didn't use steel support because steel was in such short supply. Maybe they built these to last a short time but not a life time.

...Kat

Hi Kat, you could well be right that there was possibly a shortage of steel, and maybe what steel there was, was kept for the larger gun emplacements, this was only a one man machine gun post. Wonder when he was stationed in the bunker if he knew how weak it was . . . . . . .

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, that's weird looking, never seen one of those before at a show, most people want the ' airborne ' equipment, or a standard trailer but this owner has gone for the ugly baby, completely unusable in terms that nothing can be carried in it like a trailer.

Fortunately there are people out there interested in these special items... The owner of this plow has a special interest in Signal Corps equipment and drives both K43 and K44 Chevrolet trucks along with an MB Jeep with RL-31 Wire Laying equipment...

I've read that for every fighting man at the front there were at least 7 more supporting him in the rear areas. Seeing things like this addresses the question seldom answered in the history books about what the heck those 7 guys were doing. Those of us who never served have little idea what it takes to keep an army functioning. Things like this and the army field dentist chair posted here a while back help bring that home to me. I must say, by the way, that dentist chair was about the creepiest things I've seen on here.

Mikie

Johan Willaert

Hi Johan, good to see Geert's Jeep out and about, looks great ;)

Another shot of Geert putting his Jeep through its paces.... I'm riding shotgun in this picture...

post-92-0-42388400-1462209920.jpg

General Apathy

Is there a preferred term you folks use to describe youselves when you have these vehicle meets and drive-arounds? Reenactors seems a little inadequate.

Also, what kind of reactions do you get from the locals, especially areas away from those away from the tourist areas? It must have seemed wierd for old-timers who were around for the real thing.

Mikie

Hi Mikie, not sure about preferred names for people, but I have always thought that there are probably about six distinct groups

#1 vehicle owner, never rebuilt it himself, bought it and runs it, repairs faults, wears denims and regular clothing.

#2 vehicle owner, rebuilds to the end degree, possibly polishes it, trailers it to shows, wear regular clothes.

#3 vehicle owner, either bought it or has rebuilt it, wears khaki or od store chinos & store bought green Tee shirt

#4 vehicle owner, bought it or rebuilt it, wears any nationality of surplus clothing, looks like a multi national army

#5 vehicle owner, bought it or rebuilt it, makes minor attempt at period uniform, unknowing as to how close or far

it matches to original.

#6 vehicle owner, the vehicles as close as can be to perfect, his uniform although reproduction as near to perfect.

While this is an incomplete list It's a rough idea of the different levels that owners exist on, but there are sub-divisions to each and all the categories.

While we are talking vehicles, I see many-many Jeeps with a canvas cover on the shovel head strapped to the side of the Jeep, these are a total fantasy item that started life in a post war French surplus store in the 1970s.

General Apathy

Another shot of Geert putting his Jeep through its paces.... I'm riding shotgun in this picture...

Congratulations Geert, love the look of the Jeep, I think we have both chosen almost identical style and marking for the Jeep, small pale blue hood numbers, no stars, no unit markings etc........ classic early style.

American Graffiti

Ha,

Love the vehicle owners categories and sub divisions, think you nailed it with those.

As for the Normandy bunkers, so interesting to see nature reclaiming them after all these years, shifting sands etc.

AG

General Apathy

Normandy, some things never change . . . . . . . .

I drove past this building today and having seen the haphazard working platforms thought I should double back and

take a photo. The same style of platforms and supports were probably used at the time of the construction of this house over a hundred years ago, a temporary beams extending out from holes knocked in the wall and supporting the platform. Note the two ladders on the left resting against the wall, a triangular metal bracket hooked on the top step ( rung ) and supports the platform, also note the short upright beam wedged into the guttering of the small building on the left. this wooden style of support and platform can still be seen in use on levels two to three times higher than seen in the photograph, in fact my house still has spaces in the exterior walls for wooden support beams to be inserted.

This photo shows the removal of the old possibly wartime corrugated steel roof, which could have been donated by the American forces at the end of the war. A friends daughter recently bought an old tin roofed house like this, when they looked into the loft space there was still a very dusty and dirty M-43 US Army jacket hanging on a beam, and also a small belt size axe laying on the floor.

post-344-0-52427800-1462226087.jpg

General Apathy

Ha,

Love the vehicle owners categories and sub divisions, think you nailed it with those.

As for the Normandy bunkers, so interesting to see nature reclaiming them after all these years, shifting sands etc.

AG

Hi AG, thanks for your confirmation on the vehicle owners categories I listed, I was expecting though that other members would post any vehicle owner types I missed out on . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent. May 2 2016.

Johan Willaert

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the compliments on Geert's Jeep... Will pass it on to him...

Yes, we do like the 'Less is More' look nowadays...

The Jeep is Willys MB265678, DoD 20 September 1943

As for vehicle people, instead of

#1 vehicle owner, never rebuilt it himself, bought it and runs it, repairs faults, wears denims and regular clothing.

We'd rather be referred to as

#1.1 vehicle owner, bought it as a project, DID rebuilt it himself, and runs it, repairs faults, keeps the original uniforms in the collection at home, wears denims and regular clothing, with a touch of vintage military wear such as a Tanker's Jacket or A2 Leather Jacket... (see pictures above)

Johan Willaert

Here's another shot of the MB, showing the interior and dash...

Geert acquired this Jeep in 2010 and spent a couple of years bringing it back to its current condition, making sure to keep the original look in both paint finish, markings, lighting etc...

This is of course much easier nowadays with the choice of dealers and availability of parts than back in the 1980s...

Still, he did a great job...

As a non-jeep owner (not sure what that is in the numbering system), all I can say is you folks do an amazing job keeping these pieces of history alive. Add to whatever satisfaction you get from doing what you do the appreciation from us who get to see the results.

Mikie