Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

When I saw this post while playing catch-up, I thought I had a chance to earn my keep around here. My lovely wife, daughter and I spent a very enjoyable afternoon at Mt Vernon back in 2008. I was sure I had shots of Washington's tomb and bedroom that you could compare to your old postcards. But I cannot find the darned things. I think this may have been when I had some memory card issues, and Iost some photos, including all my shots taken at the Bentonville, NC battlefield.

Just so I won't be a total deadbeat, here is a photo of the tomb I copied from the Mt Vernon National Park website, and a few of our surviving pictures. We all had a good time, including my often grumpy then 9 year old daughter. The view of the Potomac is stunningly beautiful. It is well worth a visit if anyone happens to be in the DC area.

Enjoy,

Mikie

Hi mikie, thanks for adding an update for us all on your trip to Mount Vernon and the shots you took.

Nice also to see the family stood on the lawn at the front of your house ( err mansion ) . . . . . . ^_^:lol:

sorry to hear of the loss of a lot of your photos on the memory card, sadly those days out with the family can never be recaptured in the same way, children grow so quickly, make sure to keep taking shots. ;)

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 17 2016.

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Fantastic progress on the GPW! If you still have it on the stands, you might want to think about replacing the spring bushings/bolts if you haven't already. Somewhere I still have a few I removed that stand as a testament to previous owners who forgot to add grease to them regularly. :rolleyes:

Regards

RC

Hi Rusty, good advice thank you, and all duly done, oiled, greased and levels all checked, amazing how much time it all takes when done correctly. . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Ken,

It is looking good! You may have said this but my old mind can't remember. Are you going to be driving it to any shows? Are you fixing it up for a special reason?

....Kat

Hi Kat, hopefully when I get it all sorted and fixed up I will be going to shows and commemoration events, also I will be tooting out to the stores to get food and such. The reason I am finally getting around to doing it, is actually having the time to get round to doing it, the one thing most people never quite get is that you don't get a day off when your retired, unlike working folk who get weekends or such off . . . . . . . . . :lol::lol:^_^

General Apathy

It's kinda quiet here lately so I just popped in to say that I just passed page 300 and post 7500, June 2014. Less than 2 years to go on my race to catch up on this forum. So far it's been a blast!

Hi Mikie, well I am pleased that you have found reading this to be such a ' blast ', haven't heard that expression in quite some time. Seeing as you have found it to be such fun and discovered the format of the postings, then you could well take over and run the blog once my days are done here . . . . . .enjoy the clip

General Apathy

Jeep looking good.Next you will have to mount a movie camera and take pictures tooling aroung the country side.. ;):D

Hi Ron, thanks for looking in and adding comment, bought myself a couple of T's to wear when I am pootling around the area . . . . . . . . .

post-344-0-36556000-1460926368.png

Watch the curves zipping around in the jeep and hopefully you won't kick the bucket any time soon. It's amazing that you posted that clip. I have been getting nostalgic about that movie for a while now. It's one of my absolute favorites. One of my long-term projects is getting an autograph of all the main cast. I have a long way to go but just snagged a Dick Shawn a week ago. No way I could fill your shoes, and not your shoebox in my wildest dreams!

General Apathy

Have Jeep will travel....nice shirt

Hi Ron, certainly hoping to do that. . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 19 2016.

General Apathy

That is one sharp Jeep, Ken!

Nice insignia too

Hi David, thanks for the kind comments, looking forward to getting out and about with it again.

A happy Jeeper is one with bugs on his teeth. . . . . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Watch the curves zipping around in the jeep and hopefully you won't kick the bucket any time soon. It's amazing that you posted that clip. I have been getting nostalgic about that movie for a while now. It's one of my absolute favorites. One of my long-term projects is getting an autograph of all the main cast. I have a long way to go but just snagged a Dick Shawn a week ago. No way I could fill your shoes, and not your shoebox in my wildest dreams!

Hi Mikie, I have always found that ' kicking the bucket ' scene memorable ever since I saw the movie when it first came out, but I was always distressed at the destruction of so many classic vehicles.

Good luck with your signature collecting, fun to see someone with a different collecting theme.

General Apathy

Fuels in long term storage . . . . .

Shown here is the results of leaving fuel in the vehicle during long term storage. The underside of this cap had a rust-free zinc plated finish when it was last used and put into storage, the zinc plating has completely disappeared and heavy rust coating appeared as seen. The fuel congealed and blocked completely the fuel tank and the fuel lines, and is virtually impossible to re-instate.

I would seriously suggest draining out, or syphoning off any fuel if the vehicle is not to be used for some time.

post-344-0-13673800-1461067870.jpg

General Apathy

That cap looks like something dug up in the garden or found washed up on the beach!

Hi Mikie, that's what modern fuel does to vehicles, didn't use to get it with the old lead mixed fuel.

the bottom of my fuel tank and the fuel lines were choked with sludge . . . . . . .

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . . . .

a shot of surrendered German troops walking along behind a red cross flag ( this is now hidden behind the tank ).

Note the broken glass bottles set into the cement along the top of the wall, most of this was still to be seen when I did the comparison shot, which can be seen in the following post.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 20 2016.

post-344-0-30039800-1461137170.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . .

the same buildings off to the left of the photo and also the same wall to be seen on the right. I did look for evidence of the painted red cross on the wall but there was none to be seen, and the enamelled signs had long gone.

post-344-0-63081200-1461137347.jpg

Fuels in long term storage . . . . .

Shown here is the results of leaving fuel in the vehicle during long term storage. The underside of this cap had a rust-free zinc plated finish when it was last used and put into storage, the zinc plating has completely disappeared and heavy rust coating appeared as seen. The fuel congealed and blocked completely the fuel tank and the fuel lines, and is virtually impossible to re-instate.

I would seriously suggest draining out, or syphoning off any fuel if the vehicle is not to be used for some time.

Hi Ken, that is quite staggering! I hadn't started my Jeep for a few Months over the winter, and am struggling with her now! Have done all the servicing, but I am sure it is now fuel related, even with a lead substitute additive....

All the best, Graham

Squad leader

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . .

the same buildings off to the left of the photo and also the same wall to be seen on the right. I did look for evidence of the painted red cross on the wall but there was none to be seen, and the enamelled signs had long gone.

Hi Ken,

Nice Then & Now shots. Where did you take the picture? In Cherbourg I guess but what is the name of the street?

Hope the GP will roar again soon.

Dan.

General Apathy

Hi Ken, that is quite staggering! I hadn't started my Jeep for a few Months over the winter, and am struggling with her now! Have done all the servicing, but I am sure it is now fuel related, even with a lead substitute additive....

All the best, Graham

Hi Graham, since encountering this problem I have been researching it on the internet, as you live in the UK, take a look on the Dallas Autos Jeep spares website, they sell an Ethanol stabilizer for use in old vehicles with modern fuels, appears it's a common problem amongst vintage or collector vehicle owners.

I have also been reading mechanics recounts of problems with small engine garden equipment, lawn-mowers, strimmers and such that are unused over the winter period. Which probably answers the running problems I have found with my lawn-mower. . . . . . . . . .

http://www.dallasautoparts.com/ww2-willys-jeep-parts/new-parts/

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Nice Then & Now shots. Where did you take the picture? In Cherbourg I guess but what is the name of the street?

Hope the GP will roar again soon.

Dan.

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . .

Hi Dan, thanks for the comment, your right it's Cherbourg, unfortunately I don't know the name of the street it's close to the harbour area where I have taken other shots.

here's a third shot taken in the same street, note the large shell hole in the wall on the left, this wall was lowered to a much lower level post war rather than repaired, which can be seen in the following post.

Norman D. Landing, forum Normandy Correspondent, April 20 2016.

post-344-0-36499200-1461142357.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & now . . . . . . . cont.

if the color was to be removed from this shot then the buildings would almost certainly compare to the WWII shot.

Not the lowered level of the wall on the left compared to the wartime shot.

post-344-0-16383900-1461142601.jpg

Hi Graham, since encountering this problem I have been researching it on the internet, as you live in the UK, take a look on the Dallas Autos Jeep spares website, they sell an Ethanol stabilizer for use in old vehicles with modern fuels, appears it's a common problem amongst vintage or collector vehicle owners.

I have also been reading mechanics recounts of problems with small engine garden equipment, lawn-mowers, strimmers and such that are unused over the winter period. Which probably answers the running problems I have found with my lawn-mower. . . . . . . . . .

http://www.dallasautoparts.com/ww2-willys-jeep-parts/new-parts/

Thanks Ken for the tip. I use a different additive, so will certainly see Steve Rivers about this product! Many thanks! Graham

(Great 'then and now' photos by the way!!)