Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Another great then and now picture

Hi Robert, thanks, that one was an easy one as the comparison points were close to the camera being the houses and the tank. Some of the ones I did previously are not so comparable as the difference in my camera to the seventy year old cameras which they used, the fields and depth are not alike.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 7 2016.

General Apathy

Normandy vintage car spares show . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday morning I went with a couple of friends to a vintage car spares show, one of the friends spent around a hundred euros on headlamps and voltage cut-out boxes, the other spent about nine euros for three trays of French fries, and I spent ten euros on a 70s rock concert promotion poster.

all I really spotted of any militaria items were three US stretchers converted to sleeping cots all the handles had been cut from all of them. As I had no interest in buying them then I didn't really spot some stencilling on the frame until I just resized the shots bottom middle looks like ' HQ *** ' cant really make out the last three digits, didn't ask the price either, note top corner right they have leather straps for lashing together when folded.

post-344-0-84337500-1457364847.jpg

Rakkasan187

Ken, Once again great pictures..

I have also started to find some then and now pictures of Fort Bliss, of particular interest to me is the POW compound that was here and also in the surrounding Texas and New Mexico area..

Leigh

General Apathy

Ken, Once again great pictures..

I have also started to find some then and now pictures of Fort Bliss, of particular interest to me is the POW compound that was here and also in the surrounding Texas and New Mexico area..

Leigh

Hi Leigh, thanks for the compliment on the shots.

Well if you have a couple of shots that you would like to share that would be good, I know nothing of Fort Bliss so a then & now would be good.

Normandy vintage car spares show . . . . . . . . . .

Sunday morning I went with a couple of friends to a vintage car spares show, one of the friends spent around a hundred euros on headlamps and voltage cut-out boxes, the other spent about nine euros for three trays of French fries, and I spent ten euros on a 70s rock concert promotion poster.

all I really spotted of any militaria items were three US stretchers converted to sleeping cots all the handles had been cut from all of them. As I had no interest in buying them then I didn't really spot some stencilling on the frame until I just resized the shots bottom middle looks like ' HQ *** ' cant really make out the last three digits, didn't ask the price either, note top corner right they have leather straps for lashing together when folded.

Things still popping out of the corners there in France I see!these still show up here from time to time.The 1950s and later are coming out of old Civil Defense storage.

Im thinking you could have repurposed them into a divider for the BBQ shack or a door on the drafty mansion you call the shoe box....;)

General Apathy

Things still popping out of the corners there in France I see!these still show up here from time to time.The 1950s and later are coming out of old Civil Defense storage.

Im thinking you could have repurposed them into a divider for the BBQ shack or a door on the drafty mansion you call the shoe box....;)

Hi Ron, with your thoughts on re-using the stretchers for other purposes, if you need new curtains by any chance let me know and I will ship the canvas over to you.

Hi Ron, with your thoughts on re-using the stretchers for other purposes, if you need new curtains by any chance let me know and I will ship the canvas over to you.

Thats a good idea.They may add a litle color and contrast here under the bridge they may go well with the blue tarp and orange carpet. :D

I just blasted past post 6000! I'll be back to the present in just a couple of years! There is a post announcing a new forum for named WWII photos. Looks like it's been a little quiet over there. In the next day or two I'll have to give it a boost with a couple of pictures of my Dad.

I'm

General Apathy

Normandy little known facts . . . . . . . . . .

Members of the Wehrmacht Indian Volunteers. Joined because they were against the british Empire. Part of Rommels forces in Holland and moved to Normandy.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=indians+in+german+army+normandy&espv=2&biw=1088&bih=514&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwigrrm07K_LAhXnK5oKHQrTAPEQ_AUIBigB

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 8 2016.

post-344-0-70040000-1457421279.jpg

General Apathy

Thats a good idea.They may add a litle color and contrast here under the bridge they may go well with the blue tarp and orange carpet. :D

Hi Ron, pleased to see that your only joshing around, really no-one would seriously have an orange carpet . . . . Would they ?? Hahhaaaaaa

General Apathy

I just blasted past post 6000! I'll be back to the present in just a couple of years! There is a post announcing a new forum for named WWII photos. Looks like it's been a little quiet over there. In the next day or two I'll have to give it a boost with a couple of pictures of my Dad.

Hi Mikie, pleased to see that you are now two thirds of the way through this blog and sane enough to want to continue . . . . .

Please add photo and history of your father here, we would all be pleased to hear of his service.

I'm

Normandy little known facts . . . . . . . . . .

Members of the Wehrmacht Indian Volunteers. Joined because they were against the british Empire. Part of Rommels forces in Holland and moved to Normandy.

https://www.google.fr/search?q=indians+in+german+army+normandy&espv=2&biw=1088&bih=514&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwigrrm07K_LAhXnK5oKHQrTAPEQ_AUIBigB

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

As I read different parts of History about Normandy I'm amazed how many non Germans defended the beaches againest the Allies. Maybe if they had their top troupes they the could have done better. But their ragtag defenders gave up and Hitlers idea to hold his good troupes back from the beaches didn't work as he wouldn't release them as he didn't think that was the main attack. By then our paratroops had done their job.

General Apathy

As I read different parts of History about Normandy I'm amazed how many non Germans defended the beaches againest the Allies. Maybe if they had their top troupes they the could have done better. But their ragtag defenders gave up and Hitlers idea to hold his good troupes back from the beaches didn't work as he wouldn't release them as he didn't think that was the main attack. By then our paratroops had done their job.

Hi Robert, if the ferocity of the battles that occurred further in-land had occurred at the beach-heads the whole war may have been a different story.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 10 2016.

General Apathy

Normandy inspection . . . . . . . .

In Normandy what do you do when you see that someone has been turning the soil over with a mechanical digger for laying new pipework, you stop and look that's a certainty . . . . . . .. sadly nothing on this occasion, but there have been some results in the past.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 10 2016.

post-344-0-13335900-1457564970.jpg

I don't know if you know much about fossils, but many years ago, one of the riches Eurypterid quarries in the world was discovered in Herkimer County, New York State, not far from my old home town. It was discovered in exactly this manner. Keep looking!

General Apathy

I don't know if you know much about fossils, but many years ago, one of the riches Eurypterid quarries in the world was discovered in Herkimer County, New York State, not far from my old home town. It was discovered in exactly this manner. Keep looking!

Hi Mikie, thanks for the mention of the Eurypterid quarries I will have to find something about that on the web and have a read of it, all history is interesting and that part as well. ;)

As your reading the back log of this blog then maybe you have not come to the posts about the fossils found in the stonework of the garden walls and the house, attached is a photo of a fossilised shell in one of the walls. ( hahaa you set me up again with a topic ^_^ ).

Norman D. Landing. Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 10 2016.

post-344-0-18378700-1457610977.jpg

I've been told that Boo has a fossil with her all the time. They couldn't mean me? My lot has been occupied since the 1850s and was a dumping ground so always turning stuff up in the garden, Just nothing good yet

General Apathy

I've been told that Boo has a fossil with her all the time. They couldn't mean me? My lot has been occupied since the 1850s and was a dumping ground so always turning stuff up in the garden, Just nothing good yet

Hi Robert, seems to me that you need to be using a metal detector to find out where the rubbish pit was, at least a metal detector won't find out where the outhouse was . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 11 2016

Hi Robert, seems to me that you need to be using a metal detector to find out where the rubbish pit was, at least a metal detector won't find out where the outhouse was . . . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 11 2016

I know where it was as it was still active when I bought the property in 1971. There was and old house built in the 1870s on my property. I tore it down to use the lumber to add on to my house

General Apathy

I know where it was as it was still active when I bought the property in 1971. There was and old house built in the 1870s on my property. I tore it down to use the lumber to add on to my house

Hi Robert, well you have just stated why you Americans have so little history, you live in a throw away society, you threw away a perfectly adequate 1870's outhouse for a newer version . . . . . . . . . :lol::o

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 11 2016.

General Apathy

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . . . .

Just posted a photo of my US. Army ' Babe Ruth ' baseball bat into a topic about Baseball started by 67Rally in the Misc / Unknown forum. . . . . . . . I bought this about forty years ago, and several other pieces of sports equipment ^_^

post-344-0-35926500-1457724879.jpg

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . . . .

Just posted a photo of my US. Army ' Babe Ruth ' baseball bat into a topic about Baseball started by 67Rally in the Misc / Unknown forum. . . . . . . . I bought this about forty years ago, and several other pieces of sports equipment ^_^

Ken,

Your shoebox NEVER ceases to amaze me! It is truly endless......Kat

Love the bat. My gradfather was a huge Yankees fan and went to games in the 1920s and 30s. He saw Babe Ruth play in many games. I wish I had been able to grab some of his memorabilia after he passed away. I have no idea what happened to it.

Oh yeah, I have not yet seen the old posts about the fossils, but look forward to seeing them. You can say that your house dates way farther back that the 1700's! I am not in any way any kind of expert, but fossils are one of the many things I find wonder in.

Ken, I have enjoyed spending the last few days reading through the years of this topic :o. I feel like I have recieved a guided your of Normandy and then some! Thanks for taking the time to share with us the sights and the items from your collection. My family and I are headed to France next month for a few weeks, and as this is my first time to France I insisted on a couple days in Normandy. I now realize that two days will only barely scratch the surface of all their is to do and see :(. Also thanks for the Map recomendation, I have mine ordered. :D Skip