Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now. . . . . . . . Cherbourg

Another view showing the size of the shelter bunker.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 4 2016.

post-344-0-40412700-1457111564.jpg

General Apathy

except for painting and new windows it's the same

Hi Robert, yep, even the rain down-pipe is on the left of the photo and note the facade of the building behind on the far right of the photo.

It becomes quite weird to be stood in the exact spot that the previous photographer stood seventy years ago.

Earlier today before taking this shot we stood on the exact spot where the body of a dead German soldier had lain and my friend and I agreed, it's damn spooky to be stood where some poor woman's son had died.

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Any idea where this photo of the 79th ID was taken in Cherbourg?

Thanks.

Dan

Hi Dan, thanks, think that's the first time I have seen that one, I can't say at present but hopefully I will work on it.

p.s. someone should have a word with the mayor, it doesn't appear as if the street sweepers are cleaning up the litter, anyone would think there was a war on . . . . . . . . . . :(

My daughter when she was young always sat speechless at stories that were told, in fact she gave me as a Christmas gift a two hundred page empty book, it's purpose is to write down all the stories, events and anecdotes of a ' parents life ', in this case my life.

I have been trying to think how many stories I can record. . . . . . . A friend only a couple of days ago in an email to me finished with, ' how many lucky escapes you have had ' . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 3 2016.

Ken,

My fondest memories as a child was listening to my Dad tell stories when we drove somewhere. I have been begging my Dad to record his stories and I would type them from the recording. He has yet to do it. If you don't write them down, tell your daughter to get a tape recorder. These memories need to be recorded for her.

I LOVED the story of the penguin. I laughed out loud. I think I could sit for hours and listen to you.

I LOVE the new "then and now" pictures. Very interesting....Kat

American Graffiti

Hi Ken,

The penguin story is too funny! They seem to get better with age like wine, i'm sure you know something about that too, living where you do. It's funny, wine or alcohol in general seem to play an integral part in most funny stories. Wonder why?

Those poor Mini owners have lived with that penguins death for too long :lol:

Maybe all the many jeeps I remember in the pennines were just you and your friends running around causing mayhem!

I think your daughter has the right idea, you have to preserve some of these memories.

Great then & nows again too, thank you

AG

General Apathy

Ken,

My fondest memories as a child was listening to my Dad tell stories when we drove somewhere. I have been begging my Dad to record his stories and I would type them from the recording. He has yet to do it. If you don't write them down, tell your daughter to get a tape recorder. These memories need to be recorded for her.

I LOVED the story of the penguin. I laughed out loud. I think I could sit for hours and listen to you.

I LOVE the new "then and now" pictures. Very interesting....Kat

Hi Kat, hopefully childhood should be full of fond memories for children to grow on.

Pleased you found the story funny, but that's one off the list now for anyone that read it here on the forum.

Thanks we had a great day out in Cherbourg looking for ' Then & Now ' shots, still many I have to find, some there is no wartime photo of them such as this bunker one we just happened to find walking along one street. It was built over the garden of a house, wonder if there was compensation paid to the land owner or not, post war he got a free hurricane proof outhouse . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 5 2016.

post-344-0-37314700-1457172292.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

The penguin story is too funny! They seem to get better with age like wine, i'm sure you know something about that too, living where you do. It's funny, wine or alcohol in general seem to play an integral part in most funny stories. Wonder why?

Those poor Mini owners have lived with that penguins death for too long :lol:

Maybe all the many jeeps I remember in the pennines were just you and your friends running around causing mayhem!

I think your daughter has the right idea, you have to preserve some of these memories.

Great then & nows again too, thank you

AG

Hi AG, thanks for all the positives in your post, as I once owned a mini back in the day I am pleased I never opened my hood to find a poor animal laid out on the engine.. Mini 850 college days

I think there were many farmers to be found with Jeeps in the Peak district and the Pennines, that was also part of our trips spotting abandoned vehicles in fields and farmyards, back then it was a necessary way of finding parts and spares.

Sadly I think most of us are lazy in recording family history, so many questions I have now since both parents have gone.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 5 2016.

post-344-0-45139400-1457173251.jpg

General Apathy

Cool shot you look like George Best there!

AG

hey AG, Ya really think so, have you tried Spec-Savers . . . . . . . . . . . . :lol:

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, march 6 2016.

post-344-0-84354900-1457292241.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . Cherbourg

Cherbourg street scene featuring Sherman tank.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 6 2016.

post-344-0-91745400-1457292456.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . Cherbourg

Cherbourg street scene without Sherman tank March 2016. It's great fun finding nice locations

post-344-0-61692800-1457292646.jpg

hbtcoveralls

That's a great then and now ken. It's nice that Cherbourg has really good photo coverage during the War.

Tom Bowers

General Apathy

That's a great then and now ken. It's nice that Cherbourg has really good photo coverage during the War.

Tom Bowers

Hi Tom, yes thanks, thought this was a great shot with the tank in it, and I only had this one tank shot when we went to Cherbourg Friday looking for spots. Since getting back I have now got two more images of tanks further along the street, one can be see on the left of this shot further down the street..

So it will be another day in Cherbourg once I have gathered a few more shots to try and find, still got one shot to find of 9th Inf. guys heading into Cherbourg.

General Apathy

Hi everyone, we just passed the magical three quarters of a million hits or views on this topic.

post-344-0-47473600-1457305636.jpg

Well done and thanks for helping to reach that.

General Apathy

Great shots, Ken..

Maybe after you get the GPW back on the road, you could do a series of Jeep Then & Nows...

Hi Johan, well that could be a new angle, but first, let's get it back on the road . . . . . . . Soon as possible would be nice, just awaiting some parts for the brakes.

Surprising to see how little has changed. Love those then and now photos. I would imagine 80%+ of the people on that street would be amazed to see that photo.

Congratulations to Ken and everyone here on the 750,000 views. But with stuff like Then & Now, The Shoebox, and the general madness here, l just wonder why it's not more. OK, on to 1,000,000!

Mikie

General Apathy

Surprising to see how little has changed. Love those then and now photos. I would imagine 80%+ of the people on that street would be amazed to see that photo.

Hi Sundance, thanks for your interest in the comparisons, pleased to say that since taking that shot two more tank images in the same street have come to light, so it will be back to Cherbourg again if some other images can be found to make it a full days trip.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 7 2016.

General Apathy

Congratulations to Ken and everyone here on the 750,000 views. But with stuff like Then & Now, The Shoebox, and the general madness here, l just wonder why it's not more. OK, on to 1,000,000!

Mikie

Thanks Mikie, your'e right there is no planned route really with this blog, what gets posted on here can take things off at a complete tangent within two posts with posted comments and replies . . . . . . . . .

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 7 2016

General Apathy

Cherbourg sighting . . . . . . . . . .

spotted this American eagle on a balcony in the Place de la Republique, Cherbourg, sadly no plaque on the wall to identify the reason for it being there, I would surmise that it was gifted to Cherbourg post WWII.

post-344-0-81575800-1457341304.jpg

General Apathy

Ken,

Great pictures of the jeep. It looks good! You need a picture of you driving the jeep.

...Kat

Hi Kat, well you asked for a photo of me driving the Jeep, so a friend has obliged from his 1974 photo album from our 30th anniversary of D-Day convoy trip.

Apologies for the blurred image he supplied, I think you can make out that he too thinks I should be ' driving ' the Jeep, he took this photo from the Dodge he was travelling in, in front of my Jeep.

post-344-0-79568600-1457342619.jpg

General Apathy

Great shot.... Who was riding shotgun...?

Hi Johan, the guy hanging out the side of the Jeep was referred to by the rest of the gang as ' Colin the Professional Passenger ', I think he warmed that seat for about five years from 1970 approximately.

It was his Jeep that leaped out the rear of my GMC and into the roadway in a recent topic story several posts back.