Norman D. Landing

bilko1

American Graffiti

Congrats on getting the jeep running again, they never get old on the eye. Saw one a couple of years ago running around St. Germain in Paris and it just seemed right at home there, almost back in time to 1944.

I like many others grew up with, and love, the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films, fantastically evocative despite being filmed in California! :lol:

Keep up the informative posts, much appreciative,

AG

General Apathy

post-344-0-36288600-1456432165.jpg

"My Watson"......."How you have changed since you have been away".

Great photo and brings back memories of watching the old Sherlock Homes movies

Hi Ron, I think it's elementary my dear Watson that I do indeed hold a light for the stories of Sherlock Holmes.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 26 2016.

post-344-0-86946900-1456525425.jpg

General Apathy

The old girl is looking right fetching there in the garden. :D Looks like shes right at home

Hi Ron, well your not wrong referring to her as ' the old girl ', first couple of years I named her ' Bastogne ' as I made a trip there in her, but ever since she's been ' Rita Hayworth '.

post-344-0-34924400-1456526108.jpg

General Apathy

keep the pictures and posts coming so I have something to read after I return home from my heart procedure

Hi Robert, well I was about to add my wishes for your visit to the hospital, however you have already let me know that you have been in and are now out again, and everything fine, well done.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, February 26 2016.

General Apathy

Great to see the GPW outdoors after all these years... Are you running petrol from a can inside the body?

You really need to get rid of that ugly Brit Ammo Box on the rear fender... -_-

What framenumber is the Jeep?

Hi Johan, will definitely have to try and have it on the road before you visit in the summer, hopefully with a few more miles on the clock as well..

Yes I am running the engine from a can on the passenger floor, that is, until the tank can be taken out cleaned and dealt with before adding new fuel to it.

OK I take your comment on board, but where else is there on a Jeep to carry the sandwiches. :huh:

What's the frame number you ask, wish I knew is the reply, does it go any faster if it has one . . . . . . :lol:

General Apathy

I've been trying to come back with a witty reply, but I've got nothing . . . . .

Hi Mikie, well thanks for setting me up for using that photo, truthfully I thought it was to the point .. .

To the point . :lol::lol: did you get that one . . . . . . . .. :lol:

General Apathy

Ken,

Great pictures of the jeep. It looks good! You need a picture of you driving the jeep.

...Kat

Hi Kat, thankfully for the health of the general populace there are not many photo's of me in my Jeep, how's this one from the late 70's . . . . . . .

post-344-0-78962400-1456527961.jpg

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Hmm, the mysterious 'turf' monster appears quite appropriate in it's natural habitat. Hats off to getting it out there!

Regards,

RC

Hi RC, thanks for commenting, strange that the color it appears in the photos on the forum looks way off what it's current color is, it was actually surplus US Army vehicle paint I used back in 1985 when I rebuilt it. ^_^

General Apathy

Congrats on getting the jeep running again, they never get old on the eye. Saw one a couple of years ago running around St. Germain in Paris and it just seemed right at home there, almost back in time to 1944.

I like many others grew up with, and love, the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes films, fantastically evocative despite being filmed in California! :lol:

Keep up the informative posts, much appreciative,

AG

Hi AG, good to have you joining in again, similar to your story of the Jeep running around Paris, I suppose as a teenager I must have appeared slightly bohemian or unconventional I used it as my everyday vehicle, that is day and night, and I went anywhere and everywhere in it. Would like to be doing the same again now with it . . . . rather than just high-days and holidays.

I think you can keep coming back to the Sherlock Holmes films from the forties, an era and a charm to them

American Graffiti

It's funny, I don't think you would have looked that weird or unconventional, there were certainly more on the roads back then. I grew up in the Peak district in the 70s and 80s and it seems every farm had one. Leftover by the yanks or bought easily as surplus after the war.

Zephyr's thread about his jeep and command car restorations are essential viewing, and ALMOST as addictive as this one!

Cheers,

AG

Hi Ken,

You could always trade in the British box for an almost identical USN ammunition box, and if anyone asks why a navy ammo box is on an army jeep, just tell them it was appropriated from the Normandy beachead..

Are you running the engine with a PCV set-up into the intake manifold, or the earlier downdraft pipe out of the valve cover?

Regards,

RC

Hi Ron, well your not wrong referring to her as ' the old girl ', first couple of years I named her ' Bastogne ' as I made a trip there in her, but ever since she's been ' Rita Hayworth '.

Very appropriate name my good man..seeing those lovely curves and large ........head lamps :blush::D

I just read post #4069, December 28, 2011. It's a post about a picture of US troops marching through an English town. Your identification of the location in Weymouth is about as Sherlockian as it gets. As a plus, I learned what "char" is.

General Apathy

Very appropriate name my good man..seeing those lovely curves and large ........head lamps :blush::D

Hi Ron, and pleased to say that those headlamps are shining brightly now with a brand new heavy duty battery along with some brand new earth straps as well, even given the horn a new sharpness and tone. ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 28 2016.

General Apathy

I just read post #4069, December 28, 2011. It's a post about a picture of US troops marching through an English town. Your identification of the location in Weymouth is about as Sherlockian as it gets. As a plus, I learned what "char" is.

Hi mikie, well sounds like you are almost mid-way at post #4069, was there only reference to ' char ', or was there mention of ' char and a wad ' ??. :P

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . .

I need to reshow this same image again of the MP with his small shelter and the line of vehicles along roadside, the reason for that is the photo following this one is the same road from the opposite direction.

post-344-0-61911100-1456655412.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . . . . . .

Here is another photo taken at the same time as the previous one, note in both photographs the telegraph pole and the white sign nailed to it.. Also note in this shot the color of the road surface by the soldiers right elbow, this is a side track off the main road used by the farmers to access the flood plain when it is dry.

Also note the 82ND markings on the Jeep, the 508th initially captured the bridge on this road, and the 507th took over from them

post-344-0-69495800-1456655738.jpg

General Apathy

Normandy Then & Now . . . . . . .

and here is the comparison of the previous photo showing the engineer searching the road edge for mines. Note a lot of the tree line is almost identical and the break in the Armco on the left opposite the red car, this is the side track that the farmers use to access the flood plains when they are used in the summer for cattle grazing.

post-344-0-99558600-1456656118.jpg

Thats my favorite WWII picture

General Apathy

Love the Deuce and a Half with the wooden bed in the background!

Hi Johan, probably belongs to the unit scouring the roadsides for mines, not often you see wooden bodies in photos.

Ken,

Wonderful then and now pictures! Very interesting to see the same picture from the other side. Very interesting about the other road when the flood plain is dry. Your eye for detail is amazing.

...Kat

General Apathy

A little late for mine sweeping, no?

Great then and now photos though!

Erwin

Hi Erwin, I think this work went on right from the first day on the beaches, apparently thousands of German POWs were retained in Normandy until late 1947 dealing with mine and booby-trap clearance. Only a few weeks back I was listening to the story of a German POW working on clearance and he died in an explosion the week before they were all being returned to Germany.

Sadly all these local memories and reminiscences are being lost to history as people who lived at the time pass away.

General Apathy

Thats my favorite WWII picture

Hi Robert, I think you may have the subject for a new topic ' what's your favourite photo of WWII ', get busy my man and start it up this evening. ^_^

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, February 28 2106.