Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

finally got around to digging out my red cross items. First is a shaving kit

attachicon.gif red cross1.jpg

attachicon.gif red cross3.jpg

post-344-0-21149900-1446814730.jpg

Hi Robert, thanks for the photos of the reds cross items, heres a pack of Pinochle cards given out by the ARC.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 6 2015.

General Apathy

Normandy yesterday . . . . . .

Spent all day yesterday fitting reconditioned gearbox and transfer case into a friends Jeep, only to have the ball pull off the end of the clutch cable inside the bell housing. So it was strip out all the prop shafts and other parts again and take out the gearbox to get to the ball end of the cable in the bottom of the bell housing, Peter then brazed it back on and we had to repeat all the procedure again of refitting the gearbox and reattaching all the prop shafts and parts removed for the operation.

The owner of the Jeep had bought the cheaper of the options offered to him for the rebuild of the gearbox, when these arrived from the US they were found to be made in India and Taiwan, as they say ' yous gets what yous pay for '.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 6 2015.

General Apathy

I just posted the following text to a topic started by ' carnut63 ' titled ' have you ever lost anything ' .......

Maybe the question should be ' what haven't I lost ' . . . . . . . . . . .

Back in the 1970's I had a nice A2 flying jacket that I wore occasionally for various military get together's. One day I had it in the car with me and it was on the rear seat, that evening my wife and other female co workers were attending a company evening Christmas meal, and I was the designated driver.

So we left our house and drove to the house of one of the co-workers, I picked up three of the women there, the car at that time was a two door so I reached in and pulled the A2 off the rear seat and placed on the roof to allow me to use both hands to slide the drivers seat forward while they got in.

I drove about five miles to the restaurant and back, when I pulled into our drive I thought remember to take the A2 back into the house, then realized what I had done so raced back to the street where I picked up the three women. Fortunately it was a cold and bitter winters night with ankle deep snow on the ground and roads, I spent about thirty minutes walking the street and looking under the parked cars on both sides.

Finally totally washed out with the stupid act I had committed I drove the full length of the street to return home, the whole time that I had been on my knees looking under the parked cars I had not seen a soul walking the street. As I approached the end of the street a dog walker turned the corner into the street, in a final attempt I braked the car and jumped out almost scaring this older chap on a dark and cold night.

I asked of him had he seen a brown leather jacket whilst walking his dog, heaven must have been shining on me he said that he had just picked one up and placed on a wall around the corner. As I ran I shouted to him watch my car please as I had left the engine running and the door wide open, I turned the corner and there it was on the wall as he said. I took the A2 and walking back I checked the pockets and the 260 pounds I had in the pocket was still there, he hadn't even looked in the pockets or if he had he hadn't taken the money. I got back to him and thanked him immensely saying that he had no idea what that coat meant to me. I gave him three of the twenty pound notes and he was flabbergasted, but I loved his honesty.

Now if only I can find the small cardboard box of a dozen US WWII penknives, and another box with a 1940's US Bell wall-telephone that I have not seen since I moved eight years ago.

The missing large bath towel I couldn't find recently appears to have travelled home in my daughters suitcase when she last visited . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Now if only the other items I have lost over the last forty years would appear life would be great and so would my mind . ^_^ ^_^

Lewis.

Great story Ken...I love happy endings! :) On similar note, I was once headed back to my car at a car park ( US...parking lot) and was passed by a soft-top Porsche coming out. On its roof was a black leather attache case of the type business execs carry. I frantically waved at him, trying to get his attention but he just drove on. I often wonder what happened to that case and its contents!!

General Apathy

The heavy involvement Fort Gilkicker and Stokes Bay had with preparations for D-Day . . . . .

Please let me suggest that you take a look at this site showing all the involvement that this area of the south coast of the UK made in preparations for D-Day June 1944

There are a good number of photographs, technical detail of the loading hards used by the innumerable types of landing craft that left these hards, along with the individual recognition numbers of each landing craft, the construction of sections of the Mulberry harbour ( harbors ) and much much more

http://www.fortgilkicker.co.uk/Dday.htm

Hope you enjoy the site and content.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 7 2015.

General Apathy

Normandy finds . . . . . . . . . Mesnilabus parade 2014.

photo of a recovered WWII Rupert para-dummy being shown in the town parade at Mesnilabus 2014.

Norman D. Landing Forum, Normandy Forum Correspondent, November 7 2015.

post-344-0-15593300-1446933862.jpg

General Apathy

neat pictures

Hi Robert. thanks for the comment, hope you enjoyed the detail as well.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 2015.

General Apathy

neat pictures

Hi Robert. thanks for the comment, hope you enjoyed the detail as well.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-73007100-1446938464.jpg

From the shoebox . . . . . . . . .

here's my early 1940s Army Aircorps dzus fastener tool, the brown body is made from tiny cut and schrunched up pieces of material bound together with a resin and set in a pressure mold, similar to the construction of an M-1 helmet liner, this one has ' Mfg. By SAAD ' on it.

These were used on the spring loaded Dzus fasteners when removing or securing aircraft inspection panels

. . . . . . . .

here's my early 1940s Army Aircorps dzus fastener tool, the brown body is made from tiny cut and schrunched up pieces of material bound together with a resin and set in a pressure mold, similar to the construction of an M-1 helmet liner, this one has ' Mfg. By SAAD ' on it.

These were used on the spring loaded Dzus fasteners when removing or securing aircraft inspection panels

Great Dzus tool! This is on my wish list! Figures you would have one in the old shoebox. :lol:;)

,,,,,Kat

General Apathy

Great reference Ken. Thanks!

Hi Beast, thanks, I thought the site might be worth adding to members ' favourites ' for future use maybe.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 9 2015.

General Apathy

Very cool wrench Ken.

Thinking by the marking it was made at an Air Depot some place.

Hi Ron, thanks your on the right course I think, if an Air Depot is correct then checking this website below, would make SAAD, ' San Antonio Air Depot ' ( contl area )

http://www.armysigna...it_Code_Key.pdf

General Apathy

Great Dzus tool! This is on my wish list! Figures you would have one in the old shoebox. :lol:;)

,,,,,Kat

Hi Kat, thanks I have to agree, the moulded ' Air-Corp ' markings really enhance the appearance of it, I pulled it out of a display case as a forum member had found an unmarked post war version of it in a pair of coveralls and started a topic enquiring as to what it was.

General Apathy

I spy with my little eye, my Normandy find today . . . . . . .

I spotted this rusted Ben Hur trailer over a farmyard wall, I couldn't take long to make the shot as the compound was gated with two yapping guard dogs patrolling the area, I took the shot and moved on without investigating if there were any further pieces to be seen amongst the clutter stacked in there.

post-344-0-85713300-1447103085.jpg

General Apathy

Friends framed collection of USAAF shoulder sleeve insignia . . . .. .

This shot didn't take too well due to the glass in the frame, the two dull ones in the centre are wire bullion patches, note the two without the red centre in the star, quite a varied collection.

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

You haven't been on here since Saturday. I hope you are alright. Will you please check in and let us know that you are fine? Our hearts and prayers are with you.

...Kat

Rest assured that Ken is fine...I spoke to him earlier today...as I do most days, in fact. He's been busy working in the grounds around his house.

General Apathy

Ken,

You haven't been on here since Saturday. I hope you are alright. Will you please check in and let us know that you are fine? Our hearts and prayers are with you.

...Kat

Hi Kat, thank you for your concern, I am about three hours drive from last weekends tragic events in Paris, our condolences for all the families, friends and loved ones lost in this attack.

A small clue as to where I am, ' Somewhere in France ', quite an unusual design to this son in service pin, an item from the shoebox.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 18 2015.

post-344-0-25472500-1447883948.jpg

Ken,

I am so glad that you are doing alright! You were the first one I thought about this weekend.

That is a very unique Son in Service pin. I love your shoebox!

...Kat

General Apathy

Rest assured that Ken is fine...I spoke to him earlier today...as I do most days, in fact. He's been busy working in the grounds around his house.

Hi Ian, thank you for passing on information as to my whereabouts, Ian was correct I was busy today shovelling three ton of stone chippings to cover the area I park my car before the winter arrives and turns it all into a quagmire of soggy mud and clay.

yesterday was my daughters twenty-fourth birthday, twenty four years gone in a flash . . . . . . . . . . . . . twenty four years old hahhaaa when we thought life was forever.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, November 18 2015.