Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Now picture. My son competing in the Bisbee Az 1,000. 4.5 K and 1,034 steps. Did it wearing 70 lb EOD bomb suit to raise awareness for EOD Warrior foundation.attachicon.gif fin again.jpg

Hi Robert, I have to agree with comments by Erwin and Ian, and add a son and comrade to be proud of, pass on our congratulations to him.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 18 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-20676300-1445191318.jpg

Military vehicle show 1980s . . . . . . . . . . . .

This is a shot of Andy over on the right watching myself rotate a hoop around my neck during a little fun time at the show. That's the cab of my GMC 353 seen on the right, loved that truck, they drive well and have the sweetest exhaust note of all the WWII vehicles. ^_^

Johan you used to visit this show during the 1980's.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 18 2015.

.post-344-0-20676300-1445191318.jpg

General Apathy

Who's that young guy with the hair. LOL Is that the truck you had to give up?

Hi Robert, the 6 x 6 GMC 353 long wheelbase was sold around 1998, at the time that my wife and I separated.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 20 2015.

General Apathy

Great days indeed, Ken!

post-344-0-20601600-1445375734.jpg

Hi Johan, great days indeed, we really did some great static displays back then, probably said it before but the one beach master, SeaBee's, USMC display we shipped in twenty ton of sand and real palm trees to build the display along with WWII caterpillar and a WWII earth-grader, which you may recall.

General Apathy

Hello sailor! ;)

Hi Ian, be careful you don't go overboard. . . . . . . . . . ^_^ ^_^

General Apathy

Ken,

I love the picture of you with the hula-hoop! You are a man of many talents.

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks, good to hear from you again, it's not so much a talent as a willingness to try virtually anything, at the end of the day we shouldn't live on regrets that we didn't attempt things . . . . ^_^

General Apathy

post-344-0-14493900-1445377246.jpg

Normandy find . . . . . . . . .

Monday afternoon I went down to Utah beach to to take some more then and now shots, unfortunately the tide was in so I couldn't get down onto the beach to get the comparison shots. Walking through the sand dunes I spotted a section of red quarry tile which having found several section before know to be American manufacture, it had an incomplete stamping on it ' ets Quarry Tile ', and from an earlier find they were in Canton Ohio. The other item I found was a rusted jam or preserve tin, this had been brought to the surface by a burrowing rabbit. ^_^

On the way home I took a different route and passed a gate on a field entrance, I had to pull up and back up as I spotted the rusty metal being used as a gate support, it would appear to be some salvaged piece from beach debris, either ship or part of a German beach hedgehog defense, I need to try and compare the large rivets to photos of hedgehogs or maybe Bailey bridge sections.

Really amazing sometimes the things you still can find in the countryside.

Whether in Normandy or the Ardennes (or any other former (battlefield).

Erwin

General Apathy

Really amazing sometimes the things you still can find in the countryside.

Whether in Normandy or the Ardennes (or any other former (battlefield).

Erwin

Hi Erwin, your right about what can be seen or found being reused around sites of former battlefields, as you know PSP matting is all over Normandy being used by farmers.

On one of our night walks following the route of certain D-Day paratrooper actions, we were shown a barn structure that the roof supports were made from a number of Horsa glider ramps, sadly too dark to capture a decent image.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, October 21 2015.

General Apathy

post-344-0-97887200-1445422254.jpg

post-344-0-98499000-1445422290.jpg

Recycling WWII parents style . . . . . . . . . . . .

My parents lived through WWII they had to, as they called it ' make do and mend ', many items were in short supply. Following my parents lead I find a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction in adapting things for further use, rather than burning or throwing away.

Shown above are strong clear plastic bags with plastic hanger that are used for displaying shirts in stores. After removing the shirt I carefully cut the plastic hanger from the top making sure not to cut the top, and then simply slip in fragile books, in this case my wartime manuals all seventy years old. Especially useful if you want to take books out the house with you, say in a vehicle or such.. The bags have a soft glue enabling the bags to be open and closed many times.

Another use I make of these bags is packing shirts for suitcase travel, fold shirts same as the manufacturers do and place in bag, when required very little creasing has occurred from other items in the suitcase packed next to them?

General Apathy

Re-cycling....before re-cycling was "fashionable" ( and Ken still keeps up that old Norman tradition...don't you Ken? ;) )

Hi Ian, not just a Normandy tradition, my parents and most of the WWII generation practiced it as well.

My older brother remembers sugar rationing instigated in WWII and which continued until 1954, as children it was not possible to have a Mars bar each, the allowance at the stores was one per week, hence a Mars bar was cut in half for him and our sister, I wasn't yet a twinkle in my parents eyes.

Absolutely Ken...I grew up in such a household in the same era. Making do and mending was the name of the game in that austere post-war decade.

Re my Normandy comment...I meant in the sense that the old Norman farmers were dab hands at turning old battlefield detritus into something useful....even to the extent of using helmet shells to feed corn to their chickens!

General Apathy

post-344-0-47335500-1445424329.jpg

Hi in post #8587 I mentioned that at Utah beach this week I spotted a jam or preserve tin brought out of a rabbit burrow as the rabbit dug his hole, shown above is the photo of that. Back in 1984 in the soft dry sand of the dunes at Omaha beach I found a full tin of grape jam, it was complete with original paint and print and undamaged in any way, sorry I can't find the phot of it at this time.

General Apathy

Absolutely Ken...I grew up in such a household in the same era. Making do and mending was the name of the game in that austere post-war decade.

Re my Normandy comment...I meant in the sense that the old Norman farmers were dab hands at turning old battlefield detritus into something useful....even to the extent of using helmet shells to feed corn to their chickens!

Hi Ian, I am going to email friends I travelled to Normandy with in 1974, I want to ask if any of them have a photograph of a farmyard we stopped at, in the chicken compound the farmer was using helmets for feed grain, and Jeep engine covers supported on four cinder blocks for the chickens to shelter under.

General Apathy

post-344-0-65352800-1445425101.jpg

Utah beach ' the Red house '. . . . . . . . . .

Here is a close up of the red roofed house so prominent in many of the invasion photos of WWII, thankfully it survived the bombing, shelling and attack which occurred during the invasion . . . . . .

I will be showing this house again shortly when I use it in more then and now shots when the tide is out for me to be able to walk on the beach.

General Apathy

post-344-0-36062300-1445438041.jpg

Last week I dropped a friend and his wife at the train station for a week in Berlin and picked them back up on their return, for which they very kindly gave me a bottle of gin and this fridge magnet. ^_^

General Apathy

post-344-0-34689600-1445439346.jpg

post-344-0-11572500-1445439374.jpg

' Then & Now ' Berlin . . . . . . . . . .

Many thanks to Dave for taking this comparison whilst he was in Berlin last week, saved me some petrol at least . . . . . ?

General Apathy

post-344-0-07444000-1445439591.jpg

Utah beach 1960's . . . . . . . . .

I copied the photo above from the albums on display at Pete Gray's funeral two weeks ago, it shows one of the two LVT's that were left abandoned on Utah beach at the end of the war. As far as we know there is no evidence that these LVT's took part in the actual invasion but it is believed they were used in the following months.

The two LVT's were always displayed outdoors which left them open to the salted sea air, certainly one of them underwent a refabrication and rebuild possibly combining parts from the two vehicles, the rebuilt one is now on display inside the present Utah museum.