Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Ken...I look forward to sharing a cold one with you there sometime. ( I like the new name...sub-titled "Perry Barr"?! )

Hi Ian, are you home again now, and with all parts suitably brown in case you need to see the doctor for a full medical on your return from foreign parts ^_^. ^_^

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 9 2014.

No...not until next Tuesday, Ken. We are both very tanned...in fact, we might get pulled over at the UK border as suspected illegals!! ( LoL!)

General Apathy

Great looking BBQ, Ken I like it a lot.

-Dave

Hi Dave, many thanks for the compliment, it has been a great summer for using it. Although I did sit out there a few evenings back with a tall G &T watching that evenings rainfall washing the months of dust off the leaves and garden, some low volume music in the background enjoying the vision of the field that I have changed to a garden in my time here, and thinking of family, friends and past events. ^_^

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 10 2014.

General Apathy

post-344-0-74481700-1407679537.jpg

Normandy anniversary report.......

Back in late July a friend offered me the use of his spare Jeep and along with himself and other vehicle friends we attended an event in the village of Mesnilbus, it was in honor of a crashed P-47 pilot to name a road through the village after him, and for invited family members to unveil a head and shoulder bust of him in helmet and goggles.

The attached photo shows the existing memorial to the pilot and features the engine block and damaged cannons in a glass showcase, stood behind this is a smaller scale representation of the tail of the crashed P-47.

Although not currently up to date the story of the pilot and the recovery of parts from his aircraft can be read at this link.

http://normandy44-90div.us.pagesperso-orange.fr/oldsite/usa/3-mesnilbus-ww3.htm

Ken

General Apathy

Normandy report Falaise gap memorial............

The museum on top of Montormel in the Falaise gap area have secured the loan of the working Panther tank from the Saumur tank museum, below is the link to a video of the Panther being delivered, I am hoping to make a visit there on Tuesday. ^_^

Ken

Great looking BBQ building Ken.Im sure many ribeyes and burgers will cross the grill.

Very intresting monument monument to the Thunderbolt pilot.Thanks for posting.

Ken,

I agree with Ron! You need to post some pictures of the BBQ in use!

The monument is interesting. It amazes me how many small monuments are all over France.

...Kat

General Apathy

Normandy finds .....................

Three builders employed by a house owner in Normandy to level out some of the properties land area discovered 16 gold bars and 600 gold coins to a value of $1.2 million dollars or 900.000 Euros. The haul could have been hidden during WWII, the gold coins were dated 1924 - 1927 hidden in glass jars. The three men were caught by police after embarking on spending spree's. ^_^

The following link will probably disappear at some time, hence the abbreviated version above.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28737021

No it wasn't my garden or even my ' shoebox'.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 12 2014.

General Apathy

Great looking BBQ building Ken.Im sure many ribeyes and burgers will cross the grill.

Very interesting monument to the Thunderbolt pilot.Thanks for posting.

Hi Ron, thanks for adding thought and comment, I may try to add a few more photos from the pilot's event tomorrow evening after I return from seeing the Panther tank at Montormel, Falaise.

Ken

General Apathy

Ken,

I agree with Ron! You need to post some pictures of the BBQ in use!

The monument is interesting. It amazes me how many small monuments are all over France.

...Kat

Hi Kat, I will see what I can do about photos of the shack in use, there should be an evening out there around the 21st.

Also next time I am Periers way there is a new monument off the main road on a side track, I spotted the two flag poles and the granite block last week but I was on a deadline to be at a friends house to take vehicles to another event.

Ken

General Apathy

Ken, thanks for posting that video of the Panther. What a gorgeous beast!

Enjoy the rest of your summer with your new BBQ :lol:

Terry

Hi Terry, hopefully I may have a few other shots of the Panther tomorrow evening, it's about two hours away and several of us have arranged to meet for lunch in Falaise, and then nip along the road to see the Panther.

Hope your taking care of your health my friend. ^_^

Ken

General Apathy

Hi ken !

Good to see Jim with you.

I had a great few months with him on FURY.

Owen

post-344-0-22590600-1407878088.jpg

Hi Owen, good to hear from you again, well here is a shot of Jim when he was a mere lad back in 1976 riding the roads of Normandy and France on his WWII Harley.

Hope your doing well, pity we never got to get that Normandy visit hooked up while you were in the UK

Ken

General Apathy

The BBQ might need it's own thread :lol:

Looking good

post-344-0-67891900-1407879239.jpg

Hi Peter, thanks for saying it's looking good, rain or shine it's a good spot to sit and share with friends, drink the wine and chew the chow. ^_^

Friends and I went down to Falaise and Chambois today to see the Panther tank on display at the Montormel museum, take a look at what I picked up while down in the area, the top of a German 200 Litre

fuel barrel dated 1943 ^_^

Ken

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 12 2014.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Must be cool to find something in your area that isn't 1990, not there's any wrong with BDUs but I'd rather find some older stuff. Are the fuel drums for shipping fuel?

General Apathy

Nice find Ken.

Did you ever find my old friend there in Chambois ?

Hi Peter, no never found the time or opportunity to spend enough time in the area, I will add some more images tomorrow evening at this moment it's half hour past midnight I am heading for bed.

It was another late night last night, I went paint-balling yesterday with friends three teenage sons as it was the youngest sons sixteenth birthday, and then there was an evening meal for family and friends, so it ended as a 2am finish. ^_^

Ken

The older you get the more rest you need. :)

His place was on the same side of the street as the Donjon ( not to be confused with any moutard ) and in the same quadrant.

A couple of doors down.

He is well known in the area and was an early teen in 1944 so he is close to 80 or slightly older.

I will give you the more pertinant info privately when and if you are ready.

General Apathy

Must be cool to find something in your area that isn't 1990, not there's any wrong with BDUs but I'd rather find some older stuff. Are the fuel drums for shipping fuel?

post-344-0-89073100-1407922525.jpg

Hi Camo-cap, you will have read about this previously when you went through these pages, yesterday we re-visited the Falaise gap area to see the Panther tank on loan to the Falaise gap museum all this week.

Whilst we were in the area we also revisited the tree with the rifle embedded in it, Mike was along with us and he carries more professional camera equipment than myself so I asked him to reshoot the rifle. The shot above shows the location of the rifle in the tree, and the next post will show a close-up of the barrel.

We found a few rounds of German rifle ammunition in the grass verge across the road, forgot to grab a shot of these as we gave them to Brian's son to keep.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-70626900-1407923097.jpg

Tree rifle cont...............

Apologies that the previous shot was a little small to see the white arrow three quarters of the way up the tree, however this should be a better image of the barrel itself.

Ken

General Apathy

The older you get the more rest you need. :)

His place was on the same side of the street as the Donjon ( not to be confused with any moutard ) and in the same quadrant.

A couple of doors down.

He is well known in the area and was an early teen in 1944 so he is close to 80 or slightly older.

I will give you the more pertinant info privately when and if you are ready.

Hi Peter, rest, something one can only dream of, I am pretty much maxed out with commitments now until the end of September, I haven't really started putting dates in the calendar for October yet, but I'm sure things will start being mentioned shortly.

Thanks for the offer of contact details I will get back to you, if a trip that way comes up again this side of Christmas.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, August 13 2014.