Norman D. Landing

bilko1

The square is rather less crowded than it was on June 6th, Ken!

Looks like Ken was ready to "stand in the door" and step into space with that photo.

Ken,

Very interesting seeing all of the converted helmets. I am sure there was a metal shortage so any type of metal found was used around the house.

I also love the "then and now" shot. Was the original picture taken thru a hole in a building?

Looks like your flights were fun. What a beautiful view! ....Kat

manayunkman

When the war ended in Holland my dad who was 16 collected up a bunch of stuff.

My Oma took his German helmets and made flower pots out of them.

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy

Great aerial picture of the Ste Mere Eglise square, Ken...

Thanks for posting...

It puts the entire SME main square refurbishment controversy in perspective...

Hi Johan, yes it does show how things have changed for people who are familiar with how it looked before, highly evident is the widened pavements outside the cafe's and bars with tables and chairs set up on the pavements. ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy correspondent, July 26 2014.

General Apathy

The square is rather less crowded than it was on June 6th, Ken!

Hi Ian, well I hate to say this Ian being as you were here in June and you witnessed the mardi-gra of tourists on June the 6th in Ste Mere Eglise but July has turned out to be far more pleasant and much better focused celebrations in the small towns and villages following the front line as it would have moved forward in 1944 and these places were liberated. There appears to be daily anniversaries and celebrations even falling during weekdays on the particular liberation day for the village and not moved to weekends.

Hopefully in the next few days I report on one such event I attended :rolleyes: when I find time to sit and write it out.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 26 2014.

General Apathy

Looks like Ken was ready to "stand in the door" and step into space with that photo.

Hi Ron, no my friend I was firmly in the seat during the flight, I had three months off work and a couple of surgery ops draining blood out of my back from a ' parachute ' accident in Arnhem 1981. :o:(

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27 2014.

General Apathy

Ken,

Very interesting seeing all of the converted helmets. I am sure there was a metal shortage so any type of metal found was used around the house.

I also love the "then and now" shot. Was the original picture taken thru a hole in a building?

Looks like your flights were fun. What a beautiful view! ....Kat

Hi Kat, thanks and pleased that you enjoyed the flights, and the then and now photos and maybe the converted helmets

ken

General Apathy

When the war ended in Holland my dad who was 16 collected up a bunch of stuff.

My Oma took his German helmets and made flower pots out of them.

Hi Peter, pity you don't have photo's showing the flower-pots. would have been nice to see. ^_^:lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-00393300-1406419391.jpg

For the shoebox ...................

Picked up these three small items today from a youngster about eleven years of age who's father had a stand on a street flea market and the son also had a small display of military finds and was looking to sell the pieces he had.

It was really nice to find these small personal items, so easily lost into grass or a field that troops were fighting through.

Ken

General Apathy

all my boys ever found n my yard was worms

Hi Robert, well you don't need a can opener to help eat worms! a little salt and pepper maybe ^_^

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent

General Apathy

The good ol' P-38 can opener...still the same after all these years. If it ain't broke, why fix it!?

Hi Ian, I was really pleased to see these small personal items surviving, given how small and thin they were at the time. I gave thought to servicemen given the opportunity to eat would have been checking their pockets each time for the can opener.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27 2014

General Apathy

post-344-0-77189000-1406476732.jpg

Periers Liberation 27 July 1944. - 27 July 2014 .................

Today seventy years to the day is the date that is given for the liberation of Periers, so today whilst we are possibly enjoying our Sunday pursuits or a family meal seventy years ago an historical event in Perier was happening.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-50643500-1406477243.jpg

Periers 2014, The four braves monument ...........

This statue of four combatants stands outside the town hall and across the road from the towns church. It appears to be a 1:1 scale and in fine detail, the individual threads of the web are easily seen, each button and buckle are recognizable to originals, the shoes have the same line of small holes across the toe-caps.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-22688600-1406477726.jpg

Edward Hamilton Place Commanding Officer 357th Reg. 90th Div.

Hopefully the sun faded plaque will be clear enough to read here on the forum, Col Place visited Periers many times post war until his death in June 200.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-08095100-1406478195.jpg

Periers, Four braves monument ................

Another angle of the monument featuring the rear of the medic.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-24177600-1406478413.jpg

Periers, Four braves monument ................

The names and details of the four men featured in the monument.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-49921000-1406478564.jpg

Periers, Four braves monument ................27 July 1944 - 27 July 2014

Another angle of the monument featuring the front of the tanker in one-piece coveralls and tank helmet.

Ken

General Apathy

That's one monument I wasn't aware of Ken. Looks to be very well executed. Thanks for the pics.

Hi Ian, well Ian having lived here for seven years now I still haven't seen all there is to see, we are only covering some of the things to see in the American sector of Normandy and still don' t see all.

I hope that everyone will appreciate that there are many monuments to all the other allies that fought here through Normandy, British, Canadian, French (resistants and servicemen ) Polish, Danes, Norwegians and several other contributing nations, and my apologies for any I have not named.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27 2014

General Apathy

That is a great memorial and may those 4 men rest in peace

-Dave

Hi Dave, the memorial may not be to everyone's taste in the gold and blue wash color that it's in, but it's the closest in real detail to actual clothing and equipment, than a few over towards Utah beach which look like melting images due to the lack of definition by the artist, but then it's all down to individual choices where art and sculpture meet.

so Dave, pleased that you at least like the memorial ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, forum Normandy Correspondent, July 27 2014