Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Ken...were those enclosed Jeep body-shells available as off-the-shelf accessories, or were they fabricated individually?

Ian, virtually each and everyone of these conversions were individualistic in construction and done in base workshops. Sometimes prewar civilian car-bodies were adapted and grafted on enclosing the Jeep body.

I once owned a Willys MB ( scripted body, slat grill ) Jeep which was converted in 1946 by a UK garage to a two seat cab pick up. The two front seat were enclosed with an ash frame and sheet steel cab and doors, sliding windows on the doors, the rear panel chopped out and extended 12 inches, wooden sides and outside metal wheel arches. Would have liked to rebuilt it in the same configuration and used as the pick-up as there are already so many restored standard Jeeps about.

I sold the pick-up to a friend who has undertaken a three year complete rebuild and returned it to factory configuration.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 4 2014.

General Apathy

@ Chunky...re your then/now link...this is the Ranger memorial on the esplanade in Weymouth, as per the first image in the link. I photographed it last weekend.

Ian, thanks for the images of the Weymouth monument to U.S Forces of WWII.

Ken

Hi Dave, post war many helmets especially the abandoned German ones were converted by farmers and local people into more useful items. A local friend here particularly likes to collect these modified helmets as a side collection to run of the mill regular helmets.

A couple of the standard modification were as follows, tubes welded to the side of the helmet for attachment of a long wooden pole and used for bailing out water from ditches or ponds, or for feeding grain to and such to farm animals. Another adaption was a tube attached to the top of the helmet and a hole drilled through the helmet where the tube was attached and then used as a funnel, maybe engine oil changes on a tractor or such.

And as you state possible hung by chains as flower pots, or with feet attached as ground flower pots. I will have to try and get a few shots of some of these.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 2 2014.

Thanks Ken,

For the additional information about helmet use by civilians post war.

-Dave

General Apathy

Thanks Ken,

For the additional information about helmet use by civilians post war.

-Dave

Hi Dave, hopefully I will be visiting the friend that collects the converted helmets Monday afternoon I will if I can get some shots done once we have packed away the tables, chairs and everything else from his wife's birthday party Saturday evening.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-32696200-1404681732.jpg

Here's the front of a new monument that was unveiled in Ste Mere Eglise on the 6th June for the 70th anniversary of the landings.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-40115400-1404681947.jpg

Here's the reverse of a new monument that was unveiled in Ste Mere Eglise on the 6th June for the 70th anniversary of the landings.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-24908700-1404682506.jpg

From the photo album....................

Well it's getting a little difficult now after seven years to remember what I have added here in over 7,000 posts, so apologies if this one has been seen before.

I think we shot this about 1996 at the Duxford museum using the Mary-Alice B-17 for a US history channel documentary ' Mission Berlin ' on the B-17 and the clothing worn by the crews, enjoyable time and the inside of the Mary-Alice being one of the most complete examples still around.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 6 2014.

General Apathy

post-344-0-02724300-1404684085.jpg

June 8 2014 Bayeux

A group made up of Jeeping friends and myself went into Bayeux on the 8th of June to see the military vehicle parade pass through the town centre, about 200 in total.

As we walked through the town to our vantage point to see the parade we passed this piece of ' Banksy ' artwork on the wall , although graffiti generally looks a blot on the landscape in inappropriate locations this simple design didn't look so bad.

I understand graffiti in skate parks and have no problem with that, it's part of that culture, but in the often ancient town centers of French villages I don't care for it.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 6 2014.

General Apathy

I guess you saw these too...

Hi Johan, thanks, no we didn't see the other ones that you posted, interesting that he is so close with his British military cycle.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 7 2014.

Hi Dave, hopefully I will be visiting the friend that collects the converted helmets Monday afternoon I will if I can get some shots done once we have packed away the tables, chairs and everything else from his wife's birthday party Saturday evening.

Ken

That would be great if you could.

-Dave

General Apathy

That would be great if you could.

-Dave

post-344-0-51892600-1405178201.jpg

Hi Dave, well here is the first of the conversions I have to show you, the others will be later this evening as I am working outside trying to get jobs done while it sunny and warm.

Fixed bail in pretty nice condition, this tube conversion on the side of the helmet generally had a long reach handle about the length of two arms.

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 12 2014.

General Apathy

post-344-0-73550400-1405198457.jpg

Helmet conversion # 2, a large prewar screwdriver has been shortened and rivited to the helmet, again another nice helmet that was undamaged prior to conversion, series of holes drilled into the crown making it a strainer.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-60586300-1405198694.jpg

Helmet conversion # 3, a short handled conversion, the handle may have had a more recent section of wood added to it possibly due to woodworm in the previous one.

General Apathy

post-344-0-09743300-1405198923.jpg

Helmet conversion # 4, this one has been converted into a funnel possibly for use with oil changes to a farm tractor.

General Apathy

post-344-0-72985500-1405199114.jpg

Helmet conversion # 5, this is possibly the only one of the five I have shown to have been converted in a commercial sense in a factory, drainage holes drilled, feet added, handles added and enameled.

Last of the selection I managed to photograph, will continue to look for different examples to add here

General Apathy

post-344-0-99990900-1405200174.jpg

Friends dropped in..............

Well Wednesday turned into an interesting day Jim and Dave flew into Cherbourg and I drove up to meet them and we went on a flight along the invasion beaches, over Ste Mere Eglise, and several other places including my house ^_^. ^_^

General Apathy

post-344-0-36838400-1405200433.jpg

Here we are over Pointe du Hoc, it was interesting to see it from a different perspective, also it was informative to see the beaches in respect to each other, when it's driven by car then the roads are not as direct as is the line of flight.

General Apathy

Thats a stunning view Ken.

Must have been better seeing it from your seat.

Hi Ron, thanks, yes it was all quite stunning and great at the time but sadly all too short in retrospect, and wouldn't have missed it for all the tea in China ^_^

Hopefully I will add a few more shots tomorrow evening, off up the old apple and pears now, the arms of Morpheus await after a few chapters of Currahee and a hot chocolate drink. ^_^

General Apathy

post-344-0-48593300-1405282459.jpg

Ste Mere Eglise

Well possibly better late than never, finally got to fly over Ste Mere Eglise five weeks after the 70th anniversary. It always pays to take photographs, the memory of the flight is good but the photograph helps refresh it.

General Apathy

post-344-0-00126100-1405285428.jpgpost-344-0-38635600-1405285445.jpg

Then and Now .....................Periers

Finally managed to visit Periers on a quite day when the street market was not visiting, and thankfully just

one parked car and a couple of people walking

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, July 13 2014.

Johan Willaert

Great aerial picture of the Ste Mere Eglise square, Ken...

Thanks for posting...

It puts the entire SME main square refurbishment controversy in perspective...