Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Wonderful photos!

Green with envy for those fortunate enough to attend the events in France and England this week!!

Please keep posting if you can!

Incredible motorcycles! Thanks for the great photo's Ken. As always, they are the very best and interesting.

General Apathy

Wonderful photos!

Green with envy for those fortunate enough to attend the events in France and England this week!!

Hi MardDiv, Many thanks for the comment, yes it is a great time to be in Normandy this week, on average I am sleeping about about four hours a night for the last two weeks, this week I have two long term Jeeping friends and our forum friend Sabrejet staying with me.

I think Ian ( Sabrejet ) is somewhat blown away with the eventswe are seeing and attending, sadly too many events to be at everywhere, my reports are going to as and when and most likely out of sequence.

Today we attended the gathering of more than twenty amphib Jeeps ( Seeps ) in Carentan, also meeting up with the Carentan LCVP association, and then speeding over to an invitation to a private ceremony at Ravenaville attending by several hundred people and around fifteen vets. ( photos Shortly )

I think Ian is also a little green around the gills but that may have more to do with my fast driving trying to get from event to event, Ian might make mention of this in a report he may file himself when he gets home shortly

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 5 2014.

General Apathy

Wonderful photos!

Hi MardDiv, Many thanks for the comment, yes it is a great time to be in Normandy this week, on average I am sleeping about about four hours a night for the last two weeks, this week I have two long term Jeeping friends and our forum friend Sabrejet staying with me.

I think Ian ( Sabrejet ) is somewhat blown away with the eventswe are seeing and attending, sadly too many events to be at everywhere, my reports are going to as and when and most likely out of sequence.

Today we attended the gathering of more than twenty amphib Jeeps ( Seeps ) in Carentan, also meeting up with the Carentan LCVP association, and then speeding over to an invitation to a private ceremony at Ravenaville attending by several hundred people and around fifteen vets. ( photos Shortly )

I think Ian is also a little green around the gills but that may have more to do with my fast driving trying to get from event to event, Ian might make mention of this in a report he may file himself when he gets home shortly

Ken

General Apathy

Incredible motorcycles! Thanks for the great photo's Ken. As always, they are the very best and interesting.

post-344-0-41684000-1402012895.jpg

Hi Scott, thanks for the comment, all my photo's are going to be out of sequence, here are shots from a few days ago outside the fairly new museum at Omaha beach, it was a rainy wet day and the museum had not opened yet for the day.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-98922800-1402013009.jpg

Hi Scott, shots from a few days ago outside the fairly new museum at Omaha beach, it was a rainy wet day and the museum had not opened yet for the day.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-11847400-1402013167.jpg

Hi Scott, shots from a few days ago outside the fairly new museum at Omaha beach, it was a rainy wet day and the museum had not opened yet for the day.

It's 02.15 my three friends have already gone to bed allowing me time to make these post, and I must get off to sleep now as I have to be awake again by 06.00 for our 6th of June events, by this time 70 years ago men would already be landing across the Normandy peninsula, fighting and dying . . . . . . . . . . . .

Ken

today on the news they showed Whisky 7. W7. It dropped paratroopers on D-Day. Fully restored and flown back to Normandy. The unbelievable part is the pilot is still alive and at Normandy. The showed the plane flying over the beaches and they let him take control and fly it. If that doesn't tug at your heart strings nothing will

Ken,

Amazing photos! I can see why you are only getting a few hours sleep each night. Sounds like you have LOTS to see and do. Maybe you can sleep next month! I have been thinking about you all day wondering what you are up to. I know I will be thinking about you all day tomorrow too.

Thanks for the updates....Kat

Ken,

Many thanks for taking the time to post photos from the events these past few days!

High at the top of my bucket list is to tour European battle fields and Normandy is a "must see".

Thanks again for your time and efforts and, as Kat said above, maybe you can catch up on your sleep next month!

Best regards,

Ward

General Apathy

Ken,

Many thanks for taking the time to post photos from the events these past few days!

High at the top of my bucket list is to tour European battle fields and Normandy is a "must see".

Thanks again for your time and efforts and, as Kat said above, maybe you can catch up on your sleep next month!

Best regards,

Ward

hi Ward, hahahaa thank you for adding comment , it's very much a revolving door at my house and this last month has been restaurant food pretty much every evening a blur of events and get together's leaving little or no time for preparation of home meals, I have put on several pounds and thickened the waistline somewhat this month. Forum member and friend Ian left yesterday afternoon missing last nights meal with forum members Johan and Bryan Fryer, but I feel I ate enough for Ian as well ...........

There will be no catching up on my sleep yet, I still know people visiting the area and there are other rendezvous's yet to be met, along with this week digging ditches for adding new mains sewerage pipes to the road outside the property.

Ken

Norman D. Landing,Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 9 2014.

I have put on several pounds and thickened the waistline somewhat this month.

There will be no catching up on my sleep yet, I still know people visiting the area and there are other rendezvous's yet to be met, along with this week digging ditches for adding new mains sewerage pipes to the road outside the property..

Ken,

As busy as you stay, I can't believe you put on any pounds! You are ALWAYS going and doing something. :D

It sounds like all of you had a great week together.

Why are you digging your own sewerage pipes? Wouldn't that be maintained by the city?

...Kat

General Apathy

Did you have the legendary seafood platter Ken?! :P

Hi Ian, I went for the choice of Camembert cheese grilled on toast with a green salad and dressing starter, and wing of Rayfish in a cream sauce with capers, steamed potato and cabbage, il a ete tres bon, and a large gin and tonic and it was very much a large gin, it was three-quarters of the glass before the tonic.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 9 2014.

Makes the "croque monsieur" toasted cheese / ham sandwich I had on the Cherbourg > Portsmouth ferry at the about same time pale into insignificance!! :o

General Apathy

Ken,

As busy as you stay, I can't believe you put on any pounds! You are ALWAYS going and doing something. :D

It sounds like all of you had a great week together.

Why are you digging your own sewerage pipes? Wouldn't that be maintained by the city?

...Kat

Hi Kat, yes it was a non stop week together, the other friends should be back in London by now, friends from Gurnesey called in and joined me for lunch in Ste Marie du Mont at lunchtime today, from the restaurant we could watch the remnants of vehicles starting their journey's home.

Kat, all of this French cuisine has sauces, creams and fattening things and a months diet of that WILL put weight on, the cycle is waiting in the garage for a new inner tube which blew last week, and then I need to be out on the road again loosing those pounds of weight.

The commune only maintain facilities outside your boundaries, I have to dig from the house to the boundary.

Ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-82073600-1402342971.jpg

For the shoebox . . . . . . . . .

Well this week was great in many ways, seeing so many veterans, having friends stay, seeing so many other friends passing through, dining out with lots of people, seeing so many military vehicles driving around.

One of the great honors this week was to attend a private invitation to a ceremony honoring a number of veterans, one of which was Don Burgett author of Currahee, I managed to get Mr Burgett to sign my first edition copy of Currahee.

Many years ago and way in advance of the Band of Brothers series I read Currahee and followed the very detailed directions to Aldbourne and found the stables that he and his unit were stationed in prior to D-Day. Fortunately I found them just as the way they looked in 1944, the property had not been sold off an stables demolished and a modern house built as it looks now.

Strange that many years later I had the privilege to supply uniforms to Band of Brothers and also work on several of the episodes.

Ken

General Apathy

...and here they are together! ;)

Hi Ian, many thanks for being on hand on the 5th during our meeting and taking some great photographs, this photo was just after Mr Burgett signed my original first edition copy of Rendezvous with Destiny, the copy originally given to and owned by Capt. L.W. Newey who was the British liaison officer attached to the 101st Division, however he was forbidden to jump into Normandy with them.

Ken

General Apathy

Great picture!

...Kat

Hi Kat, Mr Burgett has thirty years on me but looks the same age as me in this photograph, still a very active man.

Ken

"Hi Ian, many thanks for being on hand on the 5th during our meeting and taking some great photographs..."

Ce fut un plaisir, mon ami! ;)

General Apathy

What an honor. Fantastic

Hi Robert, there were many veterans here and it was a pleasure to meet any and all of them we saw, not one made any issue of signing endless autographs when asked.

Ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 10 2014.