Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

I like the old 'fence' better.

Don't worry about the photos, next time that happens send them to me and I will try to get them posted for you.

RC

Hi RC, thanks for the offer of help ;) , it's pretty weird sometimes how the odd photo here or there refuses to shrink to the required sizes ............ :huh:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 19 2013

General Apathy

Hey Ken, seems you had an interesting walk near Falaise....

As for the Motobecane, I couldn't possible replace it with a scooter.... the moped was bought new by my grandfather, passed on to my father and now I have it.... a Family piece....

Hi Johan, OK, so your excused your family got you into that one. I'm so pleased I never inflicted anything similar onto my daughter, I have always recited to her that possible famous quote used in the scene of the sherriff being hanged by the townspeople in Blazing Saddles and the padre quotes ' your on your own ' when holding up the bible defending the sherriff and someone puts a bullet through it. :lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy

Ken,

I was pondering your safety in French traffic and believe I have a solution. You need to dress like you belong in the traffic, maybe as a French traffic cop. Then I thought some more and figured that posing as a French traffic cop could land you in jail.

Then it struck me, the perfect outfit. Besides Gendarmes, what body of people can be out in the middle of the street, disrupt traffic and not get in trouble for it? The French Mimes! Yes Ken, you should dress as a French mime and then it would be perfectly acceptable to be out in the middle of the street taking photos! attachicon.gifmime emot.jpg

attachicon.gifmimes.jpg

Hi Beast, I think you have too much time on your hands, for a man of your age to be watching stuff like that on the TV, I think you should get out more :lol: , but then again here I am writing this stuff perhaps I should as well B)

ken

General Apathy

The French are pretty hot on traffic regulations. Every time I take my car over on the ferry, by French law I have to carry....a fire extinguisher, First Aid kit, set of spare bulbs, 1 x emergency reflective triangle, 2 x hi-viz vests and a breathalyzer kit. Failure to do so can result in a spot-fine by Les Gendarmes!

Hi ian, well some of those requirements have been relaxed apparently, well certainly the breathalyzer requirements. apparently according to folk-law gossip and possible reporting in the newspapers it appears that the member of the French government that initiated the requirement to carry breathalyzers was a stock-holder of the company that made them ............ but then again I am only reporting whats being said out there on the streets. :excl:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-01499600-1390157324.jpg

post-344-0-11267200-1390157299.jpg

Hi

I cannot believe that carbine barrel... Very Cool...

I have to admit when i get another chance to invade Normandy i do fancy spending some time further away from the coast, and by the look of these pictures there is plenty to see.

Regards

Tom

Hi Tom, well to me it looks like a Carbine barrel, but one of the guys I saw today who was with us yesterday looking at the barrel considers it to be a Mauser K-98, I see the foresight as being more Carbine in appearance ?? :excl:

And yes there is certainly a whole lot more to see throughout Normandy and further than just the beaches, in most cases much more untouched areas, buildings and locations, the beaches are really just flat sand now but many of the buildings further inland are still battle-scared. These two house are next door to one another, one with pock-marks around the window and one just a fireplace and chimney. These are within the Falaise pocket.

ken

General Apathy

General it is great to have you back!! I just love the before and after pics as well as picks of items you dig up in your every day jobs. I look at em once and then go back and look at em again~

Keep up the good work~ I really like the gun barrel in the tree, any idea how it got there? Is there a receiver maybe imbedded in the tree? Where I live we find horseshoes and nails in our trees but GUNS?? :blink:

Hi Chunky, thanks for letting me know that you enjoy the photos. The owners of the manoir where the tree stands reckon that it was embedded into the tree following an explosion of a vehicle near the tree, it's about fifteen feet in the air so not easy to reach and all the ivy covering doesn't help.

Funny thing happened as we were inspecting it and taking photographs, a car passed us slowly and the two people in it were cranning their necks trying to see what we were looking at. They drove a little further down the road turned and cruised past us again, after we left and walked a few hundred yards along the road we looked back and they had again turned and parked near the tree and were stood looking at it. I suggested that we wind them up further and all just stop and point to an area of a fence line and appear interested and see if they again came past to see what we were looking at :lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy

emo24.gif

emo24.gif

emo24.gif

Ian, you look a little green around the gills, suck it in dear boy, suck it in ! !

ken

Hi Beast, I think you have too much time on your hands, for a man of your age to be watching stuff like that on the TV, I think you should get out more :lol: , but then again here I am writing this stuff perhaps I should as well B)

ken

Ken,

What can I say? It was early and I hadn't had my first cup of coffee yet! Maybe I should just "mime" my own business?

General Apathy

Ken,

What can I say? It was early and I hadn't had my first cup of coffee yet! Maybe I should just "mime" my own business?

Hi Beast, just to "re-mime " you that without your wit, comments or criticism the posts would be less interesting here, ;):lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-46251700-1390314133.jpg

As you know, the Falaise Gap was a scene of pure carnage Ken. You must have seen the newsreels and read some of the eye-witness accounts? It looks so peaceful today, it's hard to imagine what a hell-on-earth it was at that time...if you were a retreating German!

Ian, a further image of the carnage to be seen at that time in the ' corridor of death ' another name it became to be known by, sorry I have no comparison shot to show.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 21 2013

General Apathy

post-344-0-77859100-1390314874.jpg

Falaise Gap ( Corridor of Death ) finds ........

these are a few pieces I picked up last Saturday easily spotted resting on the surface of a field, another member of our group found the support bracket from a vehicle footstep, the large round cap possibly from one of the 200 litre fuel barrels, and another friend picked up the prize piece a chunk of armor 45cms thick coated on one-side with the German wartime anti-magnetic Zimmerit compound.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmerit

seen in my little finds, top centre a possible radio support that would have had rubber grommets, right is a 20mm shell case, left a shell head that has been split open and splayed apart, and bottom centre a rifle cartridge head.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-12962200-1390315538.jpg

post-344-0-64177500-1390315560.jpg

Then & Now ...................

the two images above show the pre-war restaurant on the one side route slope of Mont Ormel where the Polish armor were located. To be seen now on the top of Mont Ormel is a monument to the fightingin the valley below and all around this hill, featuring a Sherman and an M-8 armored car, there is also an interesting museum with objects, photo's, written panels and panoramic windows overlooking the Falaise pocket.

On the opposite slope of Mont Ormel to the restaurant side is a field where one Panther successfully knocked out five or six Polish Shermans without damage to itself..

ken

Ken,

What wonderful pictures to add to the threat! The pictures and story of the carnage in "the corridor of death" are unbelievable. Unless the battles are fought in your home land, I don't think people ever realize the devastation that exists to the countryside and civilian population. Some people tend to glorify war and forget the extreme costs to life in general.

....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-0-31335400-1390320257.jpg

Is that a complete renovation of the damaged building Ken...or a re-build on the same site?

Hi Ian, it is in fact a renovation and not a total rebuild, there was neither the money or the materials to effect a complete rebuild, note in the end wall a section of the small red bricks are still visible rising up the wall, bottom left corner of the building still has the three windows with a plaster surround added to them during the post-war rebuild.

When I first came during the late 70's there were people iving in parts of houses that had retained roofs, and abandoned rooms where the roof was missing and they could not afford the materials. The American government and forces donated tons of corrugated sheets for roof repairs, it was nick-named locally ' American-thatch '. There are buildings still to be seen here that the upper floors of the houses or barns were repaired using sheets of airfield tracking known as PSP, Perforated Steel Planking ( or Plate ).

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-40482200-1390332834.jpg

post-344-0-63428500-1390332877.jpg

Ken,

What wonderful pictures to add to the threat! The pictures and story of the carnage in "the corridor of death" are unbelievable. Unless the battles are fought in your home land, I don't think people ever realize the devastation that exists to the countryside and civilian population. Some people tend to glorify war and forget the extreme costs to life in general.

....Kat

Hi Kat, that's a good observation that you make on the effect on the civilian population, and infrastructure what we now call collateral damage.

And more photo's for you, the top photo above is one I used a few days ago in a previous post, the one below it is of the same two tanks and seen from the opposite side.

ken

And more photo's for you, the top photo above is one I used a few days ago in a previous post, the one below it is of the same two tanks and seen from the opposite side.

Ken,

What I find interesting is that the photos show the same tanks from different angles, yet the devastation around it is totally different. In the first picture, the house in the background does not really look damaged. In the second picture, the house in the background looks almost destroyed. It looks like fire damage above the windows and doors.

....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-0-92486900-1390333370.jpg

Fascinating....thanks Ken. ( I know you have an eye for architectural details!) ;)

Hey Ian, looking at this the other day I spotted that the building does not appear to be too straight or vertical, you might even say that it is leaning,................ :huh:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-27388900-1390334907.jpg

Ken,

What I find interesting is that the photos show the same tanks from different angles, yet the devastation around it is totally different. In the first picture, the house in the background does not really look damaged. In the second picture, the house in the background looks almost destroyed. It looks like fire damage above the windows and doors.

....Kat

Kat, yes the farmhouse in the lower photo has had a complete renovation, I did notice however that the top row of carved stone on the one chimney has a missing chunk of stone on one corner, sorry to say I didn't get a shot of the house, there isn't a great deal in the way of features to make comparisons.

The 1970's photo above shows part of a large salvage yard which was where all the damaged vehicles from the Falaise pocket were assembled for ultimate breakdown. However when it was discovered in the 1970's by military vehicle collectors it became THE gold-mine for the next thirty years as people dragged stuff out of there for restoration, I think you would be lucky to find a few odd nuts and bolts now.

ken

Hi Ken,

Looks like Trun.

Did you go to Chambois ?

I love the trail to the Moissy ford.

Falaise is my favorite place in Normandy and the town dump was a gold mine.

How I envy you but only when I read this thread. :D

attachicon.gifforum leaning tower.jpg

Hey Ian, looking at this the other day I spotted that the building does not appear to be too straight or vertical, you might even say that it is leaning,................ :huh:

ken

Indeed it is. I went to the top of that several years ago. In fact, the angle of the lean has been increasing gradually with the passage of time, so engineers have added a counter-balance to the opposite side to stabilise it lest it topples over!

finally had time to catch up your then and now posting. You must have a 6th sense to find the places off of old pictures. Keep them coming and I'll try and get you a pay raise. Robert

General Apathy

Hi Ken,

Looks like Trun.

Did you go to Chambois ?

I love the trail to the Moissy ford.

Falaise is my favorite place in Normandy and the town dump was a gold mine.

How I envy you but only when I read this thread. :D

Hi Manay, give this man a coconut he won the caption for the previos photograph, yes that's Trun vehicle dump, or was, but not now.

Yes we did Moissy ford and had lunch sat looking at the tranquil scene it is today.

regards

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28 2013

General Apathy

Indeed it is. I went to the top of that several years ago. In fact, the angle of the lean has been increasing gradually with the passage of time, so engineers have added a counter-balance to the opposite side to stabilise it lest it topples over!

Hi Ian, well it obviously didn't fall while you were climbing it, I wonder if in fact it was built with a lean on it, can't say never seen it too busy here photographing Normandy B) . If it was in fact in the UK then the health and safety would prevent tourists from enetering it :huh: .

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 28 2013