Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Corpsmancollector

Hey there Ken,

A rather belated Happy New Year from me as well! Great then/now shots of La Haye du Puits and an even better one of you back in the 70s! ;)

All the best,

Will

Johan, it is that very same one sir, it was also my first and the most expensive of all the Jeeps I bought, it was on the road, on the button starting, full tank of gas, UK road tax and a twelve month test certificate, and the seller snatched 120 UK pounds out of my hands for it. -_-

He had to sell it as his wife wanted new carpets in the living room.

As I drove away having never driven one before I got to the intersection at the end of his road and had to stop at the traffic lights, sat across the traffic lights on the pavement watching passing cars was a police car and two occupants. Trying to appear a confident driver I slipped it into gear when the lights went to green and started to proceed backwards, as all Jeep drivers will know 1st gear position in a normal car is reverse position in a WWII Jeep. :lol:

It is also the very same Jeep that I collected two speeding citations with. ( framed and wall mounted ) ;)

ken

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 2 2014

Downhill, with the wind behind him!

General Apathy

Did someone mention my name?! Just been watching the last episode of the current "Sherlock" series! :) Excellent then/nows Ken. Back on form again!

Houston we have a problem .......

I have exchanged several emails with Ian today as he hit me with his first email stating that the type-face I use works OK on his regular computer, but it's a mighty weird script on his iPad. The strange thing being, that when he was trying to send me what he was seeing, it was appearing normal on my computer, so in the end he had to send me a screen shot to clarify the situation.

So apologies to everyone if it has been difficult to read my posts :(, I will try a different type-face.

ken

Norman D. landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 13 2014

General Apathy

Always enjoy your then and now images, Ken. Thanks for sharing these.

And a little late in coming, but I wish you and yours a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year from the other side of the world! Cheers, David

Hi Dave, well good to hear from you again, and in return all the wishes back to you and your family :D , and stay on line more images coming up .........

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 13 2014

General Apathy

There's an older stone tower at La Haye du Puis. One of my dad's men put a rifle grenade right through one of the window slits as the companies first shot in the war. One in a million.

Hi Jon, thanks for picking up on the La haye du Puits images and mentioning your father, I will try and get back to the area again in the next seven days and get some images of that older stone tower and post here for you ;) .

ken

General Apathy

Ken,

My favorite posts of yours! I LOVE the "then and now" shots. You have a great eye for finding these. I don't know how you do it.

...Kat

post-344-0-27720000-1389631126.jpg

post-344-0-23520300-1389631157.jpg

Hi Kat, thanks for the post and here's another pair of comparison shots for you, I have done 180 miles since 06.30 this morning and managed to get a few good shots, sadly some that I was hoping to take photos of had roadworks operating there, so I will have to return there again.

The set of steps in these photos I found whilst looking for the comparison of another image to be shown in a later post. This was very moving and emotional to be stood so close and looking at this set of steps where a man had sat down and slowly bled to death, it's not many times that you will see a full facial image of a dead soldier. Whilst the walls on either side of the steps have had renovation work done on them, then note the edge of the second step up below his feet, it has been cut-back on the lead edge.

ken

General Apathy

Hey there Ken,

A rather belated Happy New Year from me as well! Great then/now shots of La Haye du Puits and an even better one of you back in the 70s! ;)

All the best,

Will

Hi Will, well, good to be hearing from you again, thanks for the greetings and it was fun to dig out those old photo's they have been a surprise for my daughter, it's possible she has never seen them before and she doesn't recall me having a full head of hair, I must admit it's straining my memory as well, but it's saved on buying combs over the years B) .

Semper Fi

ken

General Apathy

Downhill, with the wind behind him!

HaHa Ian, well your a cheekie chappie aren't you :dry: , it was quite easy really with a rebored and rebuilt engine to exceed the 60 mph speed limits, average UK cars in the 1970's were only 850 -1000 CC size :o .

ken

General Apathy

Ken,

Great "Then and Now" photo! I am a bit surprised however that you did not pull a Sherman out of the shoebox to stage in the photo! :)

post-344-0-64936500-1389632924.jpg

Hi Beast, well funnily enough back in the late 70's I had the opportunity to buy a working Sherman still with rifled barrel for £1.200 pounds, I had the money but at that time no where to store it, so sadly I had to let it pass, worth a bit more now than the £1.200 back then :(

ken

General Apathy

could those even be the same trees?

Robert, good eye on the trees and they possibly are, but then again your always looking for trees to log for the woodstove :lol:

ken

General Apathy

Another great photo Ken.History lives through youe eye for detail.

Hi Ron, I was always good on places, buildings and faces, but bloody useless with names :blush:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-88391000-1389634515.jpg

post-344-0-16056300-1389634553.jpg

Then & Now ............

Difficult to exactly line up these two images in Cherbourg harbor due to the fact that I would have to be stood in the centre of the roadway ( these are French drivers I'm dicing with here :huh:), plus the differences between the camera's used back then and the small digital one I use now.

The main three points of comparison in the images being the edge of the small building on the right, and the tall building centre left. Also note the temporary engineer built bridge in the centre of the photo and the modern replacement used now

ken

He has a list of jaywalking tickets as long as your arm, Robert...and all for the sake of the hobby. Did he ever tell you about the time he stood in the middle of La Place de la Concorde to just get a then& now shot looking along Les Champs Elysees? They don't call him "Kamikaze Ken" for nothin' you know!

as I recall we were driving south through the town, and there was a small bend, and it was on the right hand side. My dad jammed on the brakes, as seeing it brought back those memories he had forgotten many years before. We were going to explore it, but I think he was worried that he'd find out some Frenchman was watching them and got killed in it. It was just south of the town that they went into action, his company got extended when the rest were unable to move forward, all the officers but him were taken out, first casualty was the CO, followed by the 1st Sgt. He was shot through the side, but stayed as "he was the only officer left, and he could not leave the men."

He never went back to the hospital for it. That kind of thing just amazes me. staying at the front with an entry and exit wound in your side. I guess I grew up wondering if I would have been able to do the same.

Ken,

More great pictures. Thanks so much for the updates. The one in the doorway is very sombering. I honestly don't know how you keep finding these spots. You must have a photographic memory.

....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-0-53052600-1389817644.jpg

Then & Now ........ Post # 6722

An additional image to the ones shown in post # 6722, this is a pre WWII postcard I have just found featuring the bridge crossing in Cherbourg harbor.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, January 15 2014

General Apathy

I've heard your quick on your feet. LOL

Hi Robert, depends if I am running, for one reason or another B):lol:

ken

General Apathy

He has a list of jaywalking tickets as long as your arm, Robert...and all for the sake of the hobby. Did he ever tell you about the time he stood in the middle of La Place de la Concorde to just get a then& now shot looking along Les Champs Elysees? They don't call him "Kamikaze Ken" for nothin' you know!

Hi Ian, well it has been a pretty Kamikaze lifestyle one way or another, at one stage I was considering I wouldn't get to be 50, perhaps I used up a bunch of those nine lives I was blessed with. :huh:

ken

General Apathy

as I recall we were driving south through the town, and there was a small bend, and it was on the right hand side. My dad jammed on the brakes, as seeing it brought back those memories he had forgotten many years before. We were going to explore it, but I think he was worried that he'd find out some Frenchman was watching them and got killed in it. It was just south of the town that they went into action, his company got extended when the rest were unable to move forward, all the officers but him were taken out, first casualty was the CO, followed by the 1st Sgt. He was shot through the side, but stayed as "he was the only officer left, and he could not leave the men."

He never went back to the hospital for it. That kind of thing just amazes me. staying at the front with an entry and exit wound in your side. I guess I grew up wondering if I would have been able to do the same.

Hi Jon, I think I may have an image of the tower in mind that you mention in relation to your fathers service history, leave it with me and I will try and get some images on here shortly ;) . Will have to be next week now, at the weekend about twenty of us are doing a walk through the Falaise gap area, looking forward to that. ^_^

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-60804600-1389818606.jpg

post-344-0-00986500-1389818633.jpg

Ken,

More great pictures. Thanks so much for the updates. The one in the doorway is very sombering. I honestly don't know how you keep finding these spots. You must have a photographic memory.

....Kat

Well Kat, thanks, and here's another then & now pair of images for you and still in Cherbourg at the moment.

ken