Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Well Robert...it gives a whole new meaning to spending time in the can! Very impressive....and you actually sampled the contents of each one?

General Apathy

Finally got home from my vacation and took some pictures for you Ian. Small part of my collection and one of my favorite can. Have several differt pose's of that brand. And yes its a real beer brand, Also found Newcastle here. Robert

Hi Robert, you have shown that any collector can collect cans and build a can collection :lol: :lol: B)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 1 2013

General Apathy

post-344-0-25872400-1364978647.jpg

post-344-0-02320100-1364978673.jpg

Utah Beach Today April 3 2013 ........................

these sad images show the erosion and destruction of yet another German bunker at Utah beach, the first image shows the bunker as it looked in January 2011 when the crack first began to open up.

The second photo taken this week shows how the tides and winds have taken away the sands supporting the structure, the top section has now broken and it's weight is beginning to tilt towards the beach accelerating the demise of the end wall

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 3 2013

Hey Robert...I was thinking...do you use a BB gun to take potshots at them? They look like perfect targets to me! :D

post-344-0-25872400-1364978647.jpg

post-344-0-02320100-1364978673.jpg

Utah Beach Today April 3 2013 ........................

these sad images show the erosion and destruction of yet another German bunker at Utah beach, the first image shows the bunker as it looked in January 2011 when the crack first began to open up.

The second photo taken this week shows how the tides and winds have taken away the sands supporting the structure, the top section has now broken and it's weight is beginning to tilt towards the beach accelerating the demise of the end wall

ken

As you rightly say Ken...a sad image indeed. Doesn't the French government have an interest in preserving the recent history of their country? At the end of the day I suppose it all boils down to money and priorities.

General Apathy

As you rightly say Ken...a sad image indeed. Doesn't the French government have an interest in preserving the recent history of their country? At the end of the day I suppose it all boils down to money and priorities.

Hi Ian, I find it so sad that virtually all the sea wall has disappeared from the section in front of the Utah beach museum, when tourists or family of veterans visit that section of the beach it no longer represents what would have been seen in 1944.

I would have thought that it would have been quite simple to have driven some deep metal stakes into the beach either side of the wall section and supported them from falling over and being destroyed, it would have also helped protect the erosion of the dunes. In years to come the museum itself will be threatened as the dunes erode towards it, for each thousand dollars spent today it could save or become a ten-thousand dollar cost in five to ten years as it becomes imperative. :(

ken

Well Robert...it gives a whole new meaning to spending time in the can! Very impressive....and you actually sampled the contents of each one?

Maybe 70%. The picture shows about 1/5th of my collective. Multiply that by 6 as Most of the time you had to buy a 6 pack to get the can you needed. Thankfully I had friends that helped me drink them. And as I drank all those different beers I'm reminded of what my collector brother said. There's some good beer and then there's a lot of Horse P---. Robert

Maybe 70%. The picture shows about 1/5th of my collective. Multiply that by 6 as Most of the time you had to buy a 6 pack to get the can you needed. Thankfully I had friends that helped me drink them. And as I drank all those different beers I'm reminded of what my collector brother said. There's some good beer and then there's a lot of Horse P---. Robert

I'm sure your liver appreciates the lengths you went to acquire that impressive collection! ;)

Hi Robert, you have shown that any collector can collect cans and build a can collection :lol: :lol: B)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 1 2013

Can he film the can collection and show it in Cannes?

In years to come the museum itself will be threatened as the dunes erode towards it, for each thousand dollars spent today it could save or become a ten-thousand dollar cost in five to ten years as it becomes imperative.

Ken,

You are so correct. Preventive is so much easier than fixing. Unfortunately, people don't plan for the future. This is why so much of our history has been lost.

Thanks a bunch for the latest batch of pictures! I can't imagine how cold it was on the beach.

...Kat

General Apathy

I wonder if Robert's collection is guarded by a killer "can"ary? :lol:

Hi Erick, I believe he uses a can'non to protect the can collection he can'not bear to part with :mellow:

ken

General Apathy

Ken,

You are so correct. Preventive is so much easier than fixing. Unfortunately, people don't plan for the future. This is why so much of our history has been lost.

Thanks a bunch for the latest batch of pictures! I can't imagine how cold it was on the beach.

...Kat

Hi Kat, thanks for your comments on the photo's and the cold here, it's being quoted as the coldest March for the last 66 years. I once read an article stating that due to global warming the Northern hemisphere would become so cold it would have to abandoned and everyone move into the earths central band, so all them damn Yankee's might be moving into your neck of the woods :lol:

After the present short diversion into can collecting we can get back into more photo's and stories of Normandy as that interlude can'not go on for ever. ;)

ken

so all them damn Yankee's might be moving into your neck of the woods :lol:

Man I hope not! It is bad enough that they visit much less stay! :lol:

General Apathy

post-344-0-11242900-1365029973.jpg

Normandy Finds Today April 4 2013 ........................

a farmer in the village brought up this piece out the soil as he was turning the soil over with his tractor and plough, first off it was thought to be a mortar tube but closer inspection dropped that idea and currently it is unidentified, also the sides are too thin to be recognised as a barrel. :wacko:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 4 2013

Hi Erick, I believe he uses a can'non to protect the can collection he can'not bear to part with :mellow:

ken

Ahh, OK Ken, now I see how he protects the collection. I hope Robert understand that we appreciate the "can"did photos that he posted!

General Apathy

Man I hope not! It is bad enough that they visit much less stay! :lol:

Kat, when I lived in the south of England before moving to Normandy I had a small decal on the rear of the pick-up ' welcome to the south, now go home ' ^_^

ken

a farmer in the village brought up this piece out the soil as he was turning the soil over with his tractor and plough,

Ken,

Do you think he will be able to clean it up and find out what is under the concretion?

....Kat

General Apathy

Ken,

Do you think he will be able to clean it up and find out what is under the concretion?

....Kat

Hi Kat, the tube is too far gone to get any indication as to what it was, it will now just be added to a pile of ' Normandy metal harvest ' and eventually be dumped for metal re-cycling.

this farmer has several fields so littered with underground metal that they are never ploughed

it damages the plough, since the war they have only ever been used for cattle grazing.

ken