Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

WOW! I have been following this thread for a long time and I could not imagine reading it from beginning to end all at once. I probably need to go back and do it again because I have forgotten quite a bit!

This thread is one of my favorites on the forum! Ken has spent a LOT of time keeping us informed with his reports from Normandy.

....Kat

Hi Kat, very kind of you to mention that it takes a lot of time to add some of the posts to my Normandy Reports, also how you enjoy keeping up with life and events in Normandy :) , I didn't realise that I would still be posting comments now when I started this five years ago. :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 19 2013

General Apathy

@ Nine-O-Nine: Well that's no mean feat...congratulations! Being a fellow Brit you'll doubtless have "got" the many Brit-to-Brit references which must leave our transAtlantic buddies a little perplexed from time to time! To be continued........ :D

To be continued........ :D

ken

@ Nine-O-Nine: Well that's no mean feat...congratulations! Being a fellow Brit you'll doubtless have "got" the many Brit-to-Brit references which must leave our transAtlantic buddies a little perplexed from time to time! To be continued........ :D

We in the "New World" are only perplexed because we don't speak English, just 'merican. :)

We in the "New World" are only perplexed because we don't speak English, just 'merican. :)

Two nations, divided by a common language? ;)

General Apathy

Press #1 for Spanish

press #2 for new world 'merican

Press #3 for Real English

Press #4 talk total crap

ken ^_^

General Apathy

Two nations, divided by a common language? ;)

nope ! ! One Nation divided by two governments :lol: :lol:

ken

General Apathy

....and press # 5 for Welsh! ;)

hangfire Ian, you have written that in English, surely you should have written it in Welsh :lol:;)

ken

General Apathy

Dim problem, Ken bachgen hen! ;)

Ian, not certain what you say in Welsh in South Wales for ' microwave oven ' but I know in Northern Wales it always raises a smile when I hear how it's referred to there, can't recall at the moment and my sister is not at home to confirm it again for me, is it ' poppity-ping ' or something like that :lol: :lol:

ken

Ian, not certain what you say in Welsh in South Wales for ' microwave oven ' but I know in Northern Wales it always raises a smile when I hear how it's referred to there, can't recall at the moment and my sister is not at home to confirm it again for me, is it ' poppity-ping ' or something like that :lol: :lol:

ken

Here in the deepest south they are known as "microwave ovens" Ken! Our northern cousins have their own slang!!

Can you get the Welsh part of your tongue around this one from the north?!

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

General Apathy

Can you get the Welsh part of your tongue around this one from the north?!

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Ian, attempting that was what got me into trouble in my youth, but antibiotics from the doctor cured it for me B):lol:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-27479700-1363724875.jpg

post-344-0-70281900-1363724891.jpg

Normandy ' Then & Now ' ....................................

Yesterday I managed to acquire an image of St Mere Eglise from an angle that I had not seen before so today I drove into town to capture a mirror image of it for the forum.

The road that the cameraman was stood on is the route into St Mere eglise from Utah beach, in the centre of the photo is a crossroads, turn left and you would be in the town square, straight across would lead to the temporary cemetery set up a few days after D-Day.

Also of interest in the photo is some of the damage and rubble laying in the street, this would indicate that the image would have been taken three or four days after D-Day when the Germans shelled the town, as this damage at the crossroads was not evident on D-Day when convoys of vehicles arrived in town from the beach landings.

ken

Nice! Thats probably the Best angle of all the pictures you have posted. Like the footprints of the photographer were still there and you stood in them. Buildings sure didn't change much in all those years. Robert LtRGFRANK

Looks like the snow has melted

General Apathy

Nice one Ken...I know that street!

Hi Ian, and so you should having crawled along it many times after leaving the bistro at 3am of a morning :lol: :lol:

This is a joke folks, as Ian doesn't drink and is actually tee-total it's just the people he hangs around with that drink ............. B)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 20 2013

General Apathy

post-344-0-23618900-1363780198.jpg

post-344-0-46449500-1363780217.jpg

Nice! Thats probably the Best angle of all the pictures you have posted. Like the footprints of the photographer were still there and you stood in them. Buildings sure didn't change much in all those years. Robert LtRGFRANK

Looks like the snow has melted

Hi Robert, here are the two images again, I have reduced the color on my comparison photo and made it monochrome see how close the buildings look now.

We still have mountains of snow in my village nine days later due to the drifts, St Mere Eglise didn't suffer from the drifts with the buildings acting as wind-breaks.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-87937500-1363809743.jpg

Normandy Reports .......................

I took a ride over to utah beach this afternoon after the recent days storms, the shot above shows how high the sea must have risen and reached during the storm, this is a WWII beach exit road and the sand and debris can be seen to have reached some 70-80 yards / metres above normal high tide.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-54359100-1363810059.jpg

Normandy Reports .......................

Photo showing the sand dune slippage and small Tobruk bunker that has slipped even further out of position tilted towards the sands, I think the movement of sand and sand dunes has been the greatest I have seen in six winters here.

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-27571200-1363810649.jpg

Maybe the exceptionally high tide will have washed up some interesting "goodies" Ken?

Hi Ian, well the next three photo's will show the German barbed wire stakes that have now appeared as the sand has been washed away that was covering them. I have walked this exact spot many times in the six years I have been here, and these have never been seen before.

ken

General Apathy

Hi Ian, well the next three photo's will show the German barbed wire stakes that have now appeared as the sand has been washed away that was covering them.

ken

post-344-0-46468200-1363810976.jpg

Hi Ian, this is the second of three photo's showing the German barbed wire stakes that have now appeared as the sand has been washed away that was covering them. I have walked this exact spot many times in the six years I have been here, and these have never been seen before.

ken