Norman D. Landing

bilko1

General Apathy

he's here and he drives!!

CptFrank, he may be there, and he might drive, but is he a fiddle player or just a hummer ^_^

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 15 2013

General Apathy

post-344-0-87543500-1363261153.jpg

Normandy snow report ...................

well the predicted snow and Siberian howling winds arrived on Monday morning the 11th, electric power lines went down, internet and phone lines were out, 2 -3 feet ( 60 + cms ) of snow with deeper drifts with the winds, all traffic stopped.

I had friends visiting from the UK and it was a day and a half extra before they could get back to the ferry port to get back to the UK, My experience was two and a half days without electricity and five days without phone and internet so this is my first time on the forum in five days.

The snow plouges finally got to the village and cleared the roads yesterday afternoon but I am still unable to get a vehicle out to the roads yet. There have been several reports of collapsed supermarket roofs and many barns with the weight of snow, I spent three hours Tuesday morning shovelling two feet ( 60 cms ) plus drifts off my flat garage roofs.

It's a pain getting out of bed in the night and trudging through two feet of snow to get to the outhouse at the bottom of the garden :lol: :lol: ;)

ken

General Apathy, you needed Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel to report on the snow. They were talking 2+ feet and he came to Lincoln, NE to report on us getting buried alive. We only got 5-inches of light fluffy snow. Last weekend we were supposed to get 1 or 2 inches we got 6 or 7 inches of heavy wind packed snow. Some boys on my block made a snow fort by cutting blocks out of the snow.

visting here in Georgia its only suppose to get in the high 50s today. May have to put on a sweater. All the snow back in SD will be melted when I get back I hope. LtRGFRANK

Normandy snow report ...................

You are making me shiver just looking at these pictures!

What are y'all doing getting so much snow in the middle of March?

I guess I should not tell you the weather here in the sunny south. It might upset you! :lol:

Stay warm my friend....Kat

General Apathy

post-344-0-88779600-1363286069.jpg

Ken...we thought you were re-enacting the Battle of the Bulge! ;)

Ian, we did ' Battle of the Bulge ' back in 1979 sleeping outdoors in the forests in temperatures below minus 20, each morning the Jeeps had to be hand cranked over with the crank handle to free up the engines for starting, the batteries wouldn't do the job un-aided.

This is a shot of a bunch of us on top of the American memorial in the town of Bastogne, yours truely far left cameraman.

ken

Ken...do you remember when we did that "Battle of the Bulge" shoot in the snow in mid-Wales? It was pre-digital, but have you got any pics from that weekend?

General Apathy

General Apathy, you needed Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel to report on the snow. They were talking 2+ feet and he came to Lincoln, NE to report on us getting buried alive. We only got 5-inches of light fluffy snow. Last weekend we were supposed to get 1 or 2 inches we got 6 or 7 inches of heavy wind packed snow. Some boys on my block made a snow fort by cutting blocks out of the snow.

Hi Third Herd, snow, damn unpredictable stuff never a precise science when reporting on expectations :dry:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-85010300-1363286759.jpg

Ken,

You need to climb into the shoe box and dig out your 10th Mountain equipment! Snow shoes, skies, etc.

Hi Erick, it's fifteen miles to the shoebox, by the time I got there in these conditions, there would be no need for the snow gear, it would be start of summer.

This is main street my village, in three days just two tractors passed through as you can see the tracks, note the drifts over on the left side

ken

General Apathy

visting here in Georgia its only suppose to get in the high 50s today. May have to put on a sweater. All the snow back in SD will be melted when I get back I hope. LtRGFRANK

Hi Robert, yep I got into the high 15's sat astride my log burner, just post me over the missing 35 degree's thanks. :dry:

ken

General Apathy

You are making me shiver just looking at these pictures!

What are y'all doing getting so much snow in the middle of March?

I guess I should not tell you the weather here in the sunny south. It might upset you! :lol:

Stay warm my friend....Kat

Hi Kat, fortunately I have been to your neck of the woods and know what the temperatures are like, air-con in summer me thinks................... :lol:

All this snow is down to that global warming that we were warned about -_- how come two thousand years ago Romans wondered about in toga's, short leather skirts and open toe sandals ? why do I have six layers of fleece mountain clothing on.?

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-58670700-1362404057.jpg

Normandy sightings .......................

A few posts back I made the statement that I try to memorise buildings, area's and such so when I see a wartime image I can visulise where the location might be.

whilst driving along a few days ago I realised that the scenery to the side of me was different as the fence line had changed. It would be wrong to say that ' new ' barbed wire had been strung, as the new wire appeared to be actually older, rusty and military style, rather than newer brighter commercial wire.

Note that the upper wire in the photograph is made of much thicker wire than the modern commercial stuff seen below, also the actual barbs are four pointed rather than two barbs, and the distance along the strands between the barbs is shorter on military wire.

So my assesment of this would be that the farmer had used some old wartime rolls of wire that might have been abandoned and salvaged as war ended here in Normandy in 44.

next time I am that way I think I will take a photograph along the wire strands and then the barbs and image would be better seen ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 4 2013

post-344-0-83696700-1363642833.jpg

Normandy sightings ....................... Post # 6339 continued

A few pages back in post #6339 I mentioned that I would try and take another photograph of what I thought to be military barbed wire from a different angle, I was passing this fence-line today and took an additional photograph. Note the difference between the thickness and the spacing of the two different lengths of wire, the top wire is obviously modern commercial and the lower wire appears to look a more military grade, possibly left over German stocks

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 18 2013

General Apathy

post-344-0-01769200-1363644109.jpg

Normandy finds .........................

whilst having lunch with friends today they told me that they had just received a photograph by email from another friend reporting that in the last two days after the heavy storms and winds, that they had found the remains of a British sea-mine up on Utah beach.

I forgot to ask for the photograph to be forwarded to me but it is the same design as in the attached photograph above, however the large circular plate seen bolted to this one is missing and the interior is full of sand and so it's completely harmless.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 4 2013

Nine O Nine

Hi Ken.

Well I've finally done it and read your whole thread from page 1 to 321, just got to the end in between calls on a long night shift!

Keep up the posting like many others your reports from Normandy are where I spend most of my time on this forum. I know we all had a lot of fun meeting up with you for dinner. Just a shame the weather intervened and stopped us from coming over the next night.

Glad you weren't without power any longer than you had to be. I've never seen snow like that before we tried to get to Utah beach on the Tuesday but got as far as the new Dick Winters memorial before we had to turn back! Finally got there on Wednesday morning. Lisa and I had a look on the beach but we obviously don't have your knack of finding bits as we came away with nothing. Although we did hear that another 500 pound was found in a collapsed sand dune?

Kind regards

Tom.

Well I've finally done it and read your whole thread from page 1 to 321, just got to the end in between calls on a long night shift!

Keep up the posting like many others your reports from Normandy are where I spend most of my time on this forum.

WOW! I have been following this thread for a long time and I could not imagine reading it from beginning to end all at once. I probably need to go back and do it again because I have forgotten quite a bit!

This thread is one of my favorites on the forum! Ken has spent a LOT of time keeping us informed with his reports from Normandy.

....Kat

@ Nine-O-Nine: Well that's no mean feat...congratulations! Being a fellow Brit you'll doubtless have "got" the many Brit-to-Brit references which must leave our transAtlantic buddies a little perplexed from time to time! To be continued........ :D

General Apathy

you sure find neat stuff in your area. Of course some of what you find I wouldn't want to find. LtRGFRANK

Hi Frank, I recall about thirty years ago when I was taking part in a military vehicle tour through the Belgian Ardennes, a local collector invited a few of us to visit his house and see his collection and what a fantastic collection he had. He then opened a storage unit and handed each of us an oblong carton which turned out to be a form of German TNT that he had recovered from the Ardennes forest.

Myself and my friends looked at the clear globs of gloop weeping from the cartons, handed them back gently and were keen to avoid hanging around for coffee and happy to get back to our vehicles :huh:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 19 2013

General Apathy

Hi Ken.

Keep up the posting like many others your reports from Normandy are where I spend most of my time on this forum. I know we all had a lot of fun meeting up with you for dinner. Just a shame the weather intervened and stopped us from coming over the next night.

Glad you weren't without power any longer than you had to be. I've never seen snow like that before we tried to get to Utah beach on the Tuesday but got as far as the new Dick Winters memorial before we had to turn back! Finally got there on Wednesday morning. Lisa and I had a look on the beach but we obviously don't have your knack of finding bits as we came away with nothing. Although we did hear that another 500 pound was found in a collapsed sand dune?

Kind regards

Tom.

Hi Tom, I bet you thought you were in for a wonderful few days when you drove off the ferry at 08.00 hrs on Saturday morning and it was wall to wall sunshine which lasted all day, Sadly Sunday was not so bright and then Monday the storm of snow and blizzards hit, The Sunday evening meal we all had together was a great evening however I appear to have lost that twenty pound note that you had given me :o

The casserole I prepared for the six of us to eat Monday evening that you couldn't get to because of the snow drifts became really tiresome after having it for five consecutive meals, lunch and supper each day. :dry:

maybe we will all get together again in the summer, say hello to the rest of the group.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 19 2013