Norman D. Landing

bilko1

post-344-0-86106200-1362392010.jpg

Hi Pat, the people on the island ( UK ) don't have French fries, ( French fries were only introduced when McDonalds opened in the UK ), people of the island eat fish and chips ( Island chips are thick wedges of potato and deep fried, much fatter that the skinny French fries and also not to be confused with American chips which are referred to as crisps by island people ) Confused you should be, it's all semantics of words and National tastes.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 4 2013

Confusion about the name isn't the only differences between the countries. There is also the choice of condiments. Here in the states, the popular choice is ketchup, while, when I was stationed in Germany, mayo seemed to be the most popular. Of course, if prepared correctly, plain, with a bit of salt is my favorite.

I wonder how sour cream would go with French fries? After all, it tastes great on baked potatoes.

Beast just reminded me about "French fries" here in the Fatherland, they are called Pommes Frites, stolen from the French I think, but usally just called "Pommes", and yes also with mayo, which I could never stomach, it's salt and ketchup for me. ;)

General Apathy

Confusion about the name isn't the only differences between the countries. There is also the choice of condiments. Here in the states, the popular choice is ketchup, while, when I was stationed in Germany, mayo seemed to be the most popular. Of course, if prepared correctly, plain, with a bit of salt is my favorite.

I wonder how sour cream would go with French fries? After all, it tastes great on baked potatoes.

Hi Erick, well I had a laugh some years ago on a Belgian army base, we had moved along the serving area for food and at the end of the line there was a very large pan of mayo with a definite yellow tinge to it, some other guys that followed me through asked what the hell's that I jokingly said it was custard so they laddled it all over their desserts, oh dear time to disappear before they get to dessert

if your in the UK and eating the great traditional British fish and chips then following tradition it has to be seasoned with salt and malt vinegar ( must be malt vinegar no other ), even the smell of the salt and the vinegar alerts your senses to what's about to be eaten :P . Strangely the thicker cut British chips are enhanced by malt vinegar ^_^ , whereas it has no increased effect at all on the skinny french fries :huh:

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-58670700-1362404057.jpg

Normandy sightings .......................

A few posts back I made the statement that I try to memorise buildings, area's and such so when I see a wartime image I can visulise where the location might be.

well this is a funny one, whilst driving along a few days ago I realised that the scenery to the side of me was different as the fence line had changed. It would be wrong to say that ' new ' barbed wire had been strung, as the new wire appeared to be actually older, rusty and military style, rather than newer brighter commercial wire.

Note that the upper wire in the photograph is made of much thicker wire than the modern commercial stuff seen below, also the actual barbs are four pointed rather than two barbs, and the distance along the strands between the barbs is shorter on military wire.

So my assesment of this would be that the farmer had used some old wartime rolls of wire that might have been abandoned and salvaged as war ended here in Normandy in 44.

next time I am that way I think I will take a photograph along the wire strands and then the barbs and image would be better seen ;)

ken

General Apathy

Very observant Ken. I've still got that length of German wire you dug up on Utah Beach!

Hey Ian, thanks for your kind reply and so pleased it wasn't a barbed response, quite sharp of me, eh, what, glad it raised a point with you and reminded you of the piece I gave you before :)

ken

Thank you Ken. I can't help thinking that your neighbours would feel better disposed towards you if you took the barbed wire down from around your property!

post-8022-0-89615700-1362420474.jpg

General Apathy

Thank you Ken. I can't help thinking that your neighbours would feel better disposed towards you if you took the barbed wire down from around your property!

Hi Ian, no problem with the neighbours, they have all been over the house often enough to eat that they know the route through the wire and the mines. :huh:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 5 2013

General Apathy

post-344-0-93146600-1362518738.jpg

Normandy sightings .......................

well the town of Carentan grubbed out all the plants and bushes around the monument to the ' battle of the cabbage patch ' although the monument has been there many years, it became more known about through the television series ' Band of Brothers. I expect work will start again shortly with the warmer weather approaching. ;)

ken

General Apathy

post-344-0-60611400-1362523408.jpg

post-344-0-70656200-1362523428.jpg

Normandy ' Then & Now ' ..................

Or as in this case it is in fact ' Now and Then ' or to explain this a little better, the now photo was taken along time before finding the then image.

As the now photo was taken a few years ago during a family visit to the monastery at le Mon St Michel then there is no accurate relationship to the exact spot of German Luftwaffe soldiers that I only found a few days ago,

Obviously the correlation between the two photo's are the cloisters which have stood unchanged for centuries

ken

Here in the US they sell flavored potato chips (crisps of the other side of the pond) one flavor is salt and vinegar, I don't know if it is malt vinegar.

There is a saying in the US, "Good fences do good neighbors make."

I expect work will start again shortly with the warmer weather approaching. ;)

Ken,

I am curious about something. Since we can see all of the modern buildings growing around this monument, a question popped in my head. There must be 1000's of places around there that could warrant a monument. Is modernization and remembrance starting to collide? Are there any battles going on between civilization wanting to look to the future and people wanting to remember the past?

...Kat

Kat,Always, The most famous are the Civil War Battle fields such as Gettysburg.The economy has slowed development alot,but the open lands are stll coveted by developers.

Bob

General Apathy

Here in the US they sell flavored potato chips (crisps of the other side of the pond) one flavor is salt and vinegar, I don't know if it is malt vinegar.

There is a saying in the US, "Good fences do good neighbors make."

Heck Third Herd, in the UK you can get crisps ( potato chips ) in more flavours ( flavors ) than the rainbow, in fact I think there might be a rainbow flavour :lol:

Possibly the stangest flavour ( flavor ) for your information would be ' Prawn - Balls ' now I know what you may be thinking, but it is in fact an oriental seafood flavour :mellow:

And lastly your quote " good fences do good neighbours make " could be validated with a second line " and bad offences do bad neighbours make " ^_^

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 7 2013

Hey Ian, thanks for your kind reply and so pleased it wasn't a barbed response, quite sharp of me, eh, what, glad it raised a point with you and reminded you of the piece I gave you before :)

ken

Ken,

Your kind of wired today!

:)

Ken got into a dispute with his neighbours about his new wrought iron gates. However, being the gentleman he is he acquiesced ...just in case they took a fence! ;)

Ken got into a dispute with his neighbours about his new wrought iron gates. However, being the gentleman he is he acquiesced ...just in case they took a fence! ;)

I'm glad he settled down, I hate to see him become unhinged because of the gates!

General Apathy

Ken,

I am curious about something. Since we can see all of the modern buildings growing around this monument, a question popped in my head. There must be 1000's of places around there that could warrant a monument. Is modernization and remembrance starting to collide? Are there any battles going on between civilization wanting to look to the future and people wanting to remember the past?

...Kat

Hi Kat, well the first time I visited Carentan the ' cabbage patch ' was outside of the town boundary line but over the last thirty years the town has grown on all sides, and this side has really become the industrial side. Since the war there have been numerous monuments erected to various units, divisions, and sometimes even people, and that process is still ongoing.

However I have just found out that less than a hundred yards from this monument are the ground-works for a new shopping mall, so I now need to find out if the monument is being revamped or dare I say relocated ??

Personally I believe that there is more than enough shopping experiences in and around the town without building another ghost mall, the town centre stores are diminishing in number as it is with the current recession, but what do I know I only spent forty years in retail

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, March 7 2013