Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Welcome back, good to hear from you again.

The blocks look really nice, also the oak planks.

I'd say if you need help .... (any excuse is good to get to Normandy) ;)

Erwin

General Apathy

post-344-1240345870.jpg

Welcome back. We have missed seeing your posts but understand that sometimes personal life has to take over from this collecting world. I too would like to see the finished product of your labors. I could not imagine how much it cost to ship all of those Victorian blocks from England. They look great....Kat

Hi Kat, I shipped over five pallets of the paving blocks, due to the weight they were only five layers high on each, when I was moving one of the pallets the wheels of the pallet truck punched a hole through the floor of the hire truck on one of the trips. pinch.gifcrying.gif

Here's another piece of ornamental architecture that I shipped over from England with me, it's the top archway of a Wesleyan chapel doorway dated 1871. I set it on top of the stone wall and the thorn bushes have grown over and around it, it now looks a little like something that Indiana Jones would find in a jungle. :lol:

Good point you make that personal life sometimes takes front position in what we do. thumbsup.gif

Thanks

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 21 2009

General Apathy
Welcome back, good to hear from you again.

The blocks look really nice, also the oak planks.

I'd say if you need help .... (any excuse is good to get to Normandy) ;)

Erwin

Hi Erwin, thanks for the comments, first off, look after that girlfriend, and then look forward to your visit to Normandy in 2010, it will still be here. ;)

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 21 2009

Can't wait to see pictures of your finished "cottage" It looks like every ETO militaria collectors dream. Thursday around lunch time look up in the sky and wave. My son should be flying over you enroute to Iraq. Robert

General Apathy
Can't wait to see pictures of your finished "cottage" It looks like every ETO militaria collectors dream. Thursday around lunch time look up in the sky and wave. My son should be flying over you en-route to Iraq. Robert

Hi Robert, thanks for the compliments on the house, still years of work to do on it.

Wish your son & his comrades the very best and sincere wishes that myself and fellow members can offer for a safe tour and happy return from Iraq.

Regards Lewis

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, April 22 2009

No problem looking after her. :)

She'll be coming with me when I drive over to Normandy (When? No idea, I hope soon.).

The house looks great.

You plan to leave as much as possible of the original stonework, etc?

That chapel doorway looks very nice too ...... Indiana would be eager to discover what's in there. :)

Erwin

• 4 weeks later...
General Apathy
No problem looking after her. :)

She'll be coming with me when I drive over to Normandy (When? No idea, I hope soon.).

The house looks great.

You plan to leave as much as possible of the original stonework, etc?

That chapel doorway looks very nice too ...... Indiana would be eager to discover what's in there. :)

Erwin

Hi Erwin, apologies for the delay in replying to your post I have been lost in the world of house renovation.

It was my intention to put down a nice floor of solid oak to cover over the 1970's modernisation that was carried out

to the floor by adding an atrocious choice of ceramic tiling. Further apologies as there is not a choice of a little face being violently sick to show ho I felt when I looked at the tiling. crying.gif

The job became further extended when I moved out all the furniture and fitting, I then decided it was in ideal opportunity to paint the walls before returning the furniture, I then also took the opportunity to put a new splash-back and shelving behind the work surfaces. So it was flooring in the day, painting of an evening when I couldn't hammer which might have upset the neighbours.

Then to cap all this as my motor was revving on all the cups of coffee I was consuming everyday, I used the last three days to build a garden pond, still need to put the electrics underground for the lighting and filter pump, and lay some paving around it.

Anyway you don't want to hear all this, the purpose of this post was actually to add some militaria, so please see the following posts. :lol:

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 17 2009.

General Apathy

post-344-1242569056.jpgpost-344-1242569085.jpg

Hello Readers and members, recently about four months ago a farmers wife died who had lived in the same farm through the war and since. Traditionally farmers just abandon items or store them in case they might one day be used again, so this farm yard was covered with many items in the barns and outside.

Over the last two weeks I realised that the woman's descendants were clearing the place, I was at the village dump when the grandson arrived with a tractor and trailer stacked with metal parts and pieces from the farm. I looked in the back and saw old wood burning stoves, parts of mechanical construction and PSP plate used for the airfields built locally post D-Day by the americans.

I dropped into the farm yard to ask the grandsons father if there was any of the PSP plate that I would be able to have. He said that there could be and he would put some aside for me as they cleared the place, looking over his shoulder about thirty yards away sat on a fence post was a rusty German helmet. As I looked at it he said that he was going to add some lengths of chain and use it as a novelty flowerpot as they did post WWI.

I then spotted a small pile of canvas and drifted over to see what was there, it was two cut up sections of vehicle canvas and an aviators parachute bag. He gave these to me and I then left as it was evident that they were busy and wanted to get on. There was a large bonfire going, and a tractor with scoop bucket dumping stuff into another trailer for the dump, I would hate to guess what had already been disposed of.

I still need to brush over the canvas pieces and the parachute bag and take photos, but here are the items he showed me today, as of yet I don't know what he wants to do with these pieces.

The meatcan pouch is British manufacture as is the strap cut from a pair of M-36 suspenders. The bucket has U.S. on the side but I cannot see a date or manufacturer

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 17 2009

General Apathy

post-344-1242569694.jpgpost-344-1242569719.jpg

Hi Readers & Members, here is a third item from the above post, it is a set of one-piece HBT coveralls, the label is still legible and is dated 1942.

This set I am really pleased to see as they have been anti-gas impregnated and feel very cold and clammy with the

chemical impregnation. A genuine Normandy invasion set still with the impregnation and unwashed :lol:thumbsup.gif

So please enjoy, as of yet I do not know what he wishes to do with these, but at least he knows that it has raised mine and a fellow neighbours interest. Sadly as with the veterans in the States this is the generation that lived through the war and as they die their possesions are often dumped. crying.gif

Ho-hum back to the renovation :blink:

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 17 2009

General Apathy

Hi, just been reviewing previous posts and saw that I had missed out thanking people for your thoughts and offers, so THANKS, 517th post #563, Brian D. post #564, Gunbarrel post #566, DisneyDave post #572, Meatcan post #574. thumbsup.gif

My very sincere apologies for being distracted with chores and missing your posts. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 17 2009.

Corpsmancollector

Hi one and all,

Mr Lewis, thanks for another great post! It's taken me some time to go through the archive and catch up on your Normandy correspondence! Really great stuff. Those coveralls are a rare find indeed, with them being gas impregnated and all.

Ken, I don't suppose you remember one year at MILITARIA fair in Stoneleigh a few years back, you had a USMC camouflage jump bag for the Reising SMG on your stall and a young kid dressed in marine camo asked if he could take a look? ...That was me. :) Jim Moran later mentioned that you were surprised some whipper snapper knew what it was. Lol You probably don't recall, but I do and it meant a lot to me at the time.

I think I can speak for all of us on here in expressing the thanks and appreciation for what you have put into the world of militaria in years past, and its truly a privilege to convey that to you. I look forward to reading the next posts from base camp Normandy in anticipation, may I wish you all the luck in the renovation!

Take care,

Will

General Apathy
Lewis,

Glad to see you back. You got some very cool stuff there, as usual! thumbsup.gif

Hi Gunbarrel, thanks for the welcome, it's still not going to be too regular at the moment until after the 65th anniversary is over, and then I might be able to settle back in the saddle.

Will be off line again for next couple of days.

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 18 2009.

General Apathy
Hi one and all,

Mr Lewis, thanks for another great post! It's taken me some time to go through the archive and catch up on your Normandy correspondence! Really great stuff. Those coveralls are a rare find indeed, with them being gas impregnated and all.

Ken, I don't suppose you remember one year at MILITARIA fair in Stoneleigh a few years back, you had a USMC camouflage jump bag for the Reising SMG on your stall and a young kid dressed in marine camo asked if he could take a look? ...That was me. :) Jim Moran later mentioned that you were surprised some whipper snapper knew what it was. Lol You probably don't recall, but I do and it meant a lot to me at the time.

I think I can speak for all of us on here in expressing the thanks and appreciation for what you have put into the world of militaria in years past, and its truly a privilege to convey that to you. I look forward to reading the next posts from base camp Normandy in anticipation, may I wish you all the luck in the renovation!

Take care,

Will

Hi Will, thanks for joining in on the post and your thoughts on the ramblings I have posted.

Thanks also for reminding me of meeting you as a young whippersnapper at the show, why you were no more than 35 at the time w00t.gif:lol: no seriously, I was impressed that you were aware of what you were looking at when so few people had ever seen one. And I do remember passing that comment to Jim Moran who was sharing a portion of my stand at the time for his new book sales. Pleased to see that you stuck with it. ;)

Also a very big thanks for your comments on mine and friends efforts years ago to turn the wilderness of ' Well it's green isn't it, so what if it's fifteen different nationalities' which was how it was in England at that time, into a respectable hobby. thumbsup.gif

I am out of here for the next two days, so no posts from me until then

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 18 2009.

General Apathy
Take care and thanks for taking the time to reply to our posts. thumbsup.gif

Erwin

Hi Erwin, thanks once again for your input.

Although I am up to my neck in renovation and preparation at the house ready for the 1st of June and friends arriving, I have taken the last few evenings to drive around and show the area and historical events to a section of American soldiers based in St Mere Eglise, here as an advance section setting up base for dignitaries and such attending the 65th anniversary celebrations.

These guys and girls are a section of MP's of the 101st Airborne based in Germany, it has been a pleasure to show these servicepeople around of an evening in their off duty hours, a small return from me for all the kindness I have received at various times from other Americans over the years.

This evening when I got back to my house I was invited to a local farmhouse for a glass of wine, the subject of WWII came up in the conversation and all of a sudden items were coming out of other rooms and cupboards and shown to me.

The real treat and eye-popper for me was to be shown a complete camouflage parachute canopy, I found the manufacturers date stamp which I believe they were unaware of, and it was AAF Drawing date of 1942, made Sept 1943 by the Hayes manufacturing company as I recall. I found out from them that it was complete when the present owner was a child, and his father disposed of the harness and risers some time ago.

I will see if I can get some photos tomorrow and post afterwards.

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 22 2009

Enjoy the next few weeks but don't overdo it. I'm sure theres more going on than one person can keep up with. And a BIG THANKS for your kindness to our servicemen and women. As a parent of a serviceman overseas I'm very gratefull for the hospitality shown by overseas nationals. Robert

Brian Dentino

Lewis:

As usual, your posts are most welcome and I read them with great interest. How wonderful it must be for you to be able to "gather" these things from the trash pile each time this comes up! How many items do you think that you think that you may have saved from oblivion in the "dump"? Amazing. Thanks again for posting and hope to read these for years to come! God bless on this Memorial Day weekend. May we never forget!!!!!!!

General Apathy

post-344-1243187384.jpg

Hi Robert & Brian D. thanks for your compliments etc, pleased to offer help to to almost anyone at anytime if it's possible, love to do it for ex-servicemen and current servicemen for their service past and present. thumbsup.gif

I grew up in that hippy period and it was all help one another for a better world, pity it was never continued by some following generations. think.gif

Anyway happy memorial day to all and here's my flags I had up for the day and will have for most of June, intend to add a little piece of camouflaged parachute in the next couple of days. :lol:

I will have friends and Jeeps staying in the farmers field at the rear, hoping to get a sign board and a few flags up on the entrance to the field ' Welcome to Camp Jean-Pierre ' that's the farmers name, great guy always helpful. ;)

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 24 2009

General Apathy

post-344-1243285970.jpg

post-344-1243286025.jpg

Hi forum Readers, I just received these photographs from a Dutch friend Geraldine Brugmans, she attended the memorial day events at the American cemetery at Magraten in Holland, and describes how emotional and overwhelming it all was to see.

LEST WE FORGET

Regards

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, May 25 2009

stonewaller

Ken, awesome pics as usual! I hope all goes well for you over the commemorations. I believe Darren, Neil and Dave might swing past you to say hello? Il be over from the morning of the 5th. Cant wait!

• 2 weeks later...
General Apathy
Ken, awesome pics as usual! I hope all goes well for you over the commemorations. I believe Darren, Neil and Dave might swing past you to say hello? Il be over from the morning of the 5th. Cant wait!

Hi Stonewaller, yes the boys passed through on their way to the 29th camp over near Omaha, I bumped into them a couple of days later in St mere Eglise and they were very happy with what they had seen and done.

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 9 2009.

General Apathy

post-344-1244550540.jpg

post-344-1244550568.jpg

Hi Forum readers, here's a couple of photo's from June 6th, myself and friends as we left for the day's events

Cheers

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, June 9 2009.