Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Well I went out for on a car ride today, and it always pays to have the old eyes out on stalks not just watching in front bit to either side as well. I spotted these two German barbed wire stakes and when I enquired if they were available then I also spotted that there were two American stakes with them as well used for pinning down PSP planks used as airfield matting.

These are great! Are you going to use these in your yard? They look to be in pretty good shape. Are you going to

clean them up at all?

....Kat

Sorry I can't say anything about where I found them as there is a possibility that some more may become available to me. :lol::lol::lol:

OH, com'on Ken! One old barn looks like all the others! (Or was that an antique store, you said?) :lol:

General Apathy
These are great! Are you going to use these in your yard? They look to be in pretty good shape. Are you going to

clean them up at all?

....Kat

Hi Kat, I will try and give them a gentle cleaning, nothing too abrasive and then maybe a little light oil to seal the surface, now they will be kept dry indoors then they shouldn't deteriorate any further. :thumbsup:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 24 September 2012

General Apathy
Ken...when you told me you had some "stakes" this afternoon I thought you were talking about your BBQ again! ;)

Hi Ian, no I said I stake a claim on any stuff I find laying around here and there.

ken

General Apathy
OH, com'on Ken! One old barn looks like all the others! (Or was that an antique store, you said?) :lol:

Hi JS, there you go again stating ' one old barn look like any other ', Kat will say that you are talking about women again, like Ron was a few posts ago with the shell heads reminding him of prom queens '

ken

Normandy ( not quite barn ) finds today ...............

Well I went out for on a car ride today, and it always pays to have the old eyes out on stalks not just watching in front bit to either side as well. I spotted these two German barbed wire stakes and when I enquired if they were available then I also spotted that there were two American stakes with them as well used for pinning down PSP planks used as airfield matting.

These were nice to find as the base plates were still secured to the bottom, these base plates are generally missing due to erosion in the soil and the rough way in which they are extracted. The stakes and plates are above 80% galvanised cover remaining, a little straightening of the stake and they will look good again.

Sorry I can't say anything about where I found them as there is a possibility that some more may become available to me. :lol::lol::lol:

So one jolly happy person headed home after the day out with more for the ' collection ' :crying: ;)

ken

Ken,

That is something you don't see, completely intact!

:thumbsup:

it always pays to have the old eyes out on stalks

I just thought of something...between your eye at finding the obscure military item or spotting a "then and now" opportunity, we need to change your name. I think we need to call you Hawkeye or Superman with the x-ray vision to see thru anything to spot a piece of militaria!

I just thought of something...between your eye at finding the obscure military item or spotting a "then and now" opportunity, we need to change your name. I think we need to call you Hawkeye or Superman with the x-ray vision to see thru anything to spot a piece of militaria!

No, I think that Ken has read every first person account ever written from WWII and tracks down everything mentioned, from empty ration cans to cigarette butts. ;)

Even his "shoebox" was probably found where it was left in 1944.

Even his "shoebox" was probably found where it was left in 1944.

Too funny !! I never thought about his "shoebox" being military issue as well!

I wonder if Ken even has a QM mark on his rear end. :lol:

...Kat

General Apathy
Ken,

That is something you don't see, completely intact!

:thumbsup:

Hi RC, yep I was pretty pleased with them myself when I spotted them today, not often found this intact. :thumbsup: Still not finding the rare stuff much, you know the discarded mint M-2 helmet, Gavin's uniform, Rommel's car, Hitlers monogrammed underwear. -_-

ken

Hi RC, yep I was pretty pleased with them myself when I spotted them today, not often found this intact. :thumbsup: Still not finding the rare stuff much, you know the discarded mint M-2 helmet, Gavin's uniform, Rommel's car, Hitlers monogrammed underwear. -_-

ken

I thought you had those? ;)

General Apathy
How did I miss that??? :rolleyes:

:dunno: ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snuffle snuffle ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz snore snore :bye1:

ken

General Apathy

Hi Kat, well forty years ago my then girlfriend and other friends called me Hawkeye for what I used to see or find that they hadn't, whenever my brother bought a new car he gave me the keys to look it over for faults and problems especially paintwork and trim. :lol::lol:

ken

Hi JS, there you go again stating ' one old barn look like any other ', Kat will say that you are talking about women again, like Ron was a few posts ago with the shell heads reminding him of prom queens '

ken

EARINGS my good man.....EARINGS!!!!!!.you know big and shiny :lol: :naughty:

Nice score on the stakes.Amazing what still turns up

Ken, it is good to have you back, I was afraid that other members would have to try and fill your boots. If it had ever come to that, this would have been my contribution.

forum_urinal_german.jpg

forum_sit_downs_german.jpg

Cont ..................

My neighbour also found the remains of a German toilet block, there is nothing remaining like this in the popular tourist areas of Utah and Omaha beaches.

we both my neighbour and I intend to return to this area and take some mor detailed photos of the area, I will post some more of his recent photos later

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 17 July 2011

On this spot, during the early morning hours of 6 June, 1944 a mass evacuation took place following the allied bombardment of the invasion beaches.

On this spot, during the early morning hours of 6 June, 1944 a mass evacuation took place following the allied bombardment of the invasion beaches.

It took me a minute to realize what you meant. TOO FUNNY!

I bet the $#%& was flowing in those toilets! Literally! :lol:

...Kat

It took me a minute to realize what you meant. TOO FUNNY!

I bet the $#%& was flowing in those toilets! Literally! :lol:

...Kat

For some reason Ken's pictures didn't display correctly, but his text did or no one would have gotten it.

;)

General Apathy
No, I think that Ken has read every first person account ever written from WWII and tracks down everything mentioned, from empty ration cans to cigarette butts. ;)

Hi RC, sometimes it's nothing Butt empty ration cans :lol::lol:

ken

General Apathy
Too funny !! I never thought about his "shoebox" being military issue as well!

I wonder if Ken even has a QM mark on his rear end. :lol:

...Kat

Hi Kat, at one time I thought that I had QM on the brain, but i'm over it now hence my forum name :mellow:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 25 September 2012

General Apathy

ken

I thought you had those? ;)

Hi RC, strangely once upon a time ' I thought that I needed to have those ' :unsure:

but thankfully due to the invention of penicillin I recovered from that thought. :lol:

ken

General Apathy
EARINGS my good man.....EARINGS!!!!!!.you know big and shiny :lol: :naughty:

Nice score on the stakes.Amazing what still turns up

Hi Ron, and here we all are thinking you were a regular guy and thinking small and pointy :naughty: :lol: :thumbsup: so the rest of us are normal at least. ;)

ken