Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Please enjoy ..................

Just found this website not certain that there has been any prior mention of it before on the forum, however it really displays the awesome manufacturing capabilities of North America during WWII

http://www.vintagewings.ca:80/VintageNews/...ed-Victory.aspx

ken

Ken, those pictures of WW2 aircraft production by the Allies are truly awesome. Did you know at the end of 1945 when all servicable aircraft were returned to the USA there were 65,000 aircraft waiting to be scrapped, yes, 65,000!!, and these are the ones they did`nt want to keep. They still had many thousands more that equipped the post war Air Force. By the end of 1947 those 65,000 planes were gone, smelted. Many were flown straight from the production plants to the scrap yard, makes you want to weep. Lee.

General Apathy
Ken, those pictures of WW2 aircraft production by the Allies are truly awesome. Did you know at the end of 1945 when all servicable aircraft were returned to the USA there were 65,000 aircraft waiting to be scrapped, yes, 65,000!!, and these are the ones they did`nt want to keep. They still had many thousands more that equipped the post war Air Force. By the end of 1947 those 65,000 planes were gone, smelted. Many were flown straight from the production plants to the scrap yard, makes you want to weep. Lee.

Hi Lee, thanks for those figures on aircraft at the end of WWII, and pleased that you enjoyed the website link and photographs ;)

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 21 August 2012

General Apathy

Hi friends and readers, I have been absent from adding much here for the last few days as I got involved with two other topics on the forum and added a couple of items from the shoebox.

the first one was ' sabrejet's' topic on USAAF flak helmets :think:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=152603&hl=

The second one was ' Ken88's ' topic on pigeons used by the airborne on D-Day, to which I added about twelve photo's of pigeon equipment and links to further pigeon / airborne / D-Day information. :think:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=152895&hl=

both turned out to be interesting topics with photographs and information ;):lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 22 August 2012

:blink:

General Apathy

post-344-1345836981.jpg

We forgive you Ken! :hug: Both of those topics were worth the wait.......NOW, where were you when you left us hanging?? :evilgrin:

Hi JS, I have been more active around the house and garden trying to get jobs done as the nights are getting shorter, the sun is getting weaker, the winter is approaching so I haven't made it out and about to take any photo's or make any reports.

However I just delved into the shoebox and thought I would show something a little diverse, this item interests me for two reasons, first off it's running into the WWII period, secondly in partnership with my brother we used to sell cookies and bread products.

On one of my trips to the States I picked up this waxed bread wrapper in an antique mall, it has Koesters Baking Company, Baltimore, MD, patented July 15 1935. ;) funny what I collected outside of the regular o.d. stuff :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 24 August 2012

General Apathy
Ken...man cannot live by bread wrappers alone! ;)

dough, lets slice and wrap this one up now yeast it gets out of hand :blink:

I have busted my ' buns ' trying to get that sentence to work, needed a little more yeast maybe to raise it a little. :huh:

Monty Python has a whole generation to answer for -_-

ken

dough, lets slice and wrap this one up now yeast it gets out of hand :blink:

I have busted my ' buns ' trying to get that sentence to work, needed a little more yeast maybe to raise it a little. :huh:

Monty Python has a whole generation to answer for -_-

ken

Use your loaf Ken! ;)

General Apathy
Use your loaf Ken! ;)

Hell Ian that's a mouldy old qoute, quite stale if you ask me :lol:

ken

General Apathy
Sandwich me silly and call me Willy, but that's a mighty interesting topic! :D

(Thought I'd give it a shot myself too.)

Erwin

Erwin, your toast :pinch:

But thanks for joining ;)

ken

Erwin, your toast :pinch:

But thanks for joining ;)

ken

RYE are you giving him such a bad time. WHEAT til I Kick your PUMPERNICKEL!

RYE are you giving him such a bad time. WHEAT til I Kick your PUMPERNICKEL!

Shame on you JS! I always thought you were well-bread...I mean bred!! ;)

General Apathy
Ken...here's a British classic for you. Remember?! :thumbsup:

Hi Ian, you might recall that I don't have a television so thanks for that link as I have never seen the advert before, nice one.

One of my parents favourite places to visit was the ancient village of Shaftesbury and the steep hill in the town called ' Golds Hill ' where the 1973 Hovis advert was filmed by ( Sir ) Ridley Scott.

The American forces had several camps around Shaftesbury, The Coombe House Hotel (AAF-523) during WWII was used by the US 8th Air Force Service Command Recuperation Centre. (Aka the ‘Flak Shack’) Now known as St Mary’s Convent

ken

General Apathy
Shame on you JS! I always thought you were well-bread...I mean bred!! ;)

Ian, stop trying to butter him up -_-:P

ken

Hi Ian, you might recall that I don't have a television so thanks for that link as I have never seen the advert before, nice one.

One of my parents favourite places to visit was the ancient village of Shaftesbury and the steep hill in the town called ' Golds Hill ' where the 1973 Hovis advert was filmed by ( Sir ) Ridley Scott.

The American forces had several camps around Shaftesbury, The Coombe House Hotel (AAF-523) during WWII was used by the US 8th Air Force Service Command Recuperation Centre. (Aka the ‘Flak Shack’) Now known as St Mary’s Convent

ken

Thought you might have seen it before you shipped-out for la belle France!

General Apathy
I'm just trying to get Ken out of a JAM.

Hi JS, I think I can get out of the jam by mentioning a good link to a topic started by Sabrejet about US Army transportation systems, in the few moments relating to WWII I spotted US vehicles and tanks moving through the towns and villages of Dorset to the embarkation port of Weymouth and eventually the beaches of Normandy.

I have added a link about Bridport and the US 1st Inf. Div., and also two photo's of the Weymouth clock tower that can be seen in Sabrejets link.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1156768

ken

Ken...I remember reading a memoir of a native of Weymouth who lived in a seafront property with his family as a young lad during the war. He said that in the days before what turned out to be D-day, there were lots of troop movements along the promenade, often at night or in the wee small hours. Though sorely tempted, he couldn't peek out to see what was going on as the blinds were drawn due to the blackout. However, he learned to differentiate between the British/Commonwealth and American troops who marched by his house by the sounds of their marching feet. The Brits with their "ammo boots" made a crisp crunch-crunch as they marched along, whereas the Yanks went thud-thud, due to their rubber-soled boots! True story! :lol:

Actually, there's a famous series of pics, which I'm sure you're aware of, showing US troops (Rangers?) marching in formation along Weymouth seafront.

General Apathy
Ken...I remember reading a memoir of a native of Weymouth who lived in a seafront property with his family as a young lad during the war. He said that in the days before what turned out to be D-day, there were lots of troop movements along the promenade, often at night or in the wee small hours. Though sorely tempted, he couldn't peek out to see what was going on as the blinds were drawn due to the blackout. However, he learned to differentiate between the British/Commonwealth and American troops who marched by his house by the sounds of their marching feet. The Brits with their "ammo boots" made a crisp crunch-crunch as they marched along, whereas the Yanks went thud-thud, due to their rubber-soled boots! True story! :lol:

Actually, there's a famous series of pics, which I'm sure you're aware of, showing US troops (Rangers?) marching in formation along Weymouth seafront.

Hi Ian, yes I remember a lady that I knew who was very fond of the American forces and used to take part in concert evenings at the local American base.

She related to me that in 1942 she remembered the American troops arriving in her town, an entire regiment arrived by train and they marched from the station to the old British camp on the outskirts of the town that had been given over to the American forces, and they were almost silent in their march compared to the studded British boots.

Also from the same town a chappie that I knew was 15 years of age in WWII and too young to enlist, he played drums in a quartet which played at the same American base as the lady mentioned above. He kindly gave me a wartime poster that he had saved advertising the bands, singers and comedians that performed one evening at the camp. It seems like only yesterday that he gave me the poster but it was probably late 80's, time flies.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 August 2012

Ian and Ken,

I just LOVE personal stories like the ones you just told. They show the human side of war.

....Kat

If there is a human side of war. All too often, we get caught up in the "battles'' and we don't examine the effects of war on the populous, and the infrastructure, natural environment. There are lots of stories to open our eyes.

[it seems like only yesterday that he gave me the poster but it was probably late 80's, time flies.

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 29 August 2012

You may want to get a different fly trap. :thumbsup: