Norman D. Landing

bilko1

Ian, It should be remembered that the American Civil War (1861 to 1865) is considered by many to be the first truly modern war fought not only soldier to soldier but also by soldiers against the infrastructure and population as well. The contemporary images of burned and bombed cities all across the south especially, are very similar to the photos of devastation of WWI and WWII Europe. And when considered against the sparse population in north America in the 1860s it puts in perspective the degree of devastation. In many ways the areas destroyed are still recovering. 911 was indeed terrible but it is not the first time our nation has faced shot and shell and destruction, just the first time recently. Certainly we avoided being devastated due to the fortune of having great oceans and Hitler's timely demise, and for that we are glad.

Tom Bowers

Yes, of course. Thanks for that timely reminder Tom. I was thinking in terms of "modern" mass destruction.

Ian :thumbsup:

Ian, I think these are the Japanese Fugo Bombing Balloons you're talking about, not in Washington State, but in Oregon, almost buddy, Washington State, along with Idaho used to be a part of Oregon Territory, but all good school teachers know that. ;)

The public announcement was finally made due to a tragic event that occurred on May 5, 1945. A woman and five children, on a church picnic, were killed in a remote area near Bly, Oregon, after they discovered a downed balloon with a bomb still attached, and one of them moved the bomb, causing it to explode. http://www.stelzriede.com/ms/html/mshwfugo.htm

@ Hey Jack's Son, of course it's all in fun, that's what I like most about Ken's "Norman D. Landing", a good laugh now & then! :thumbsup:

As a native Washingtonian you have an unfair advantage Pat! ;)

craig_pickrall

Have you shared this with your wife yet? I know you keep so many things secret from her.

Have you shared this with your wife yet? I know you keep so many things secret from her.

She knows Kat well, they talk, share books and TV shows. What would you like me to do??

Tell me.....what do you know that she doesn't??

The Japanese "Fu-Go" fire balloons came to earth from Alaska to GUATEMALA and IIRC as far EAST as Nebraska.

BTW an historian for the USAF, latterly specializing in SAC, the Cold War bomber/missile gaps and nukes, once told me that the 1945 "Fu-Go" effort was meant just a precursor/test of concept. Tokyo planned to load the 1946 bunch with BIOLOGICAL agents, as developed in their labs in Manchuria (Unit 721?). The balloons were no joke or cute quirk.

American territory: Aleutians? Submarine deck guns shooting at California shore fuel farms? Not a high level of threat, but not quite ZERO.

And then there were I-400-class super subs that were to attack the US....

American territory: Aleutians? Submarine deck guns shooting at California shore fuel farms? Not a high level of threat, but not quite ZERO.

You are correct but we had NOTHING near the devastation that was suffered in other countries during WWII. We are talking about sheer devastation and loss of civilian life.

See Ken isn't the only one that can work on buildings. Except I'm working on my house built in the 50s and he works on house's built in the 1600-1700s. Robert

post-551-1345138754.jpg

post-551-1345138774.jpg

See Ken isn't the only one that can work on buildings. Except I'm working on my house built in the 50s and he works on house's built in the 1600-1700s. Robert

The only real difference is that Ken uses PERIOD TOOLS!! :lol:

I can tell you don't live in the South. :lol: This time of year, the roofers start before the sun comes up and stop before lunch. It is so hot with the shingles, that a heat stroke can happen VERY quickly.

It is true that Ken works on only vintage items! :w00t:

....Kat

I can tell you don't live in the South. :lol: This time of year, the roofers start before the sun comes up and stop before lunch. It is so hot with the shingles, that a heat stroke can happen VERY quickly.

It is true that Ken works on only vintage items! :w00t:

....Kat

Same here Kat. Its been in the high 90s to low 100s for over a month. Then last night a front came through and it was 62 as I was shingling. Started at 0800 and was done by noon.

General Apathy

post-551-1345138754.jpg

post-551-1345138774.jpg

Hi robert, you are both a gentleman and an artisan :thumbsup: , I am pleased to see that you didn't send the wife on the roof to fix the shingles, you know what some guys are like. :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 17 August 2012

General Apathy
The only real difference is that Ken uses PERIOD TOOLS!! :lol:

Hi JS, yep things are a little backwards here, in the next year or two we are hoping to get an indoor fosset and such, the damn stream is cold for bathing in during the winter. :crying:

ken

:blink:spelling correction I wrote ' the dame in the stream is cold when bathing during the winter ' :rolleyes:

General Apathy
Same here Kat. Its been in the high 90s to low 100s for over a month. Then last night a front came through and it was 62 as I was shingling. Started at 0800 and was done by noon.

Hi Kat & Robert, it's been the warmest day of the year here today, sadly we are past the longest day and the days are hour and a half shorter now, summers going :crying:

Pleased that I have been collecting rainwater off the roof or the garden would be dead now with what little rain we have had. :unsure:

ken

:blink:spelling correction I wrote ' the dame in the stream is cold when bathing during the winter ' :rolleyes:

Well...I am sure the dame would be cold if she was standing in the stream! :lol:

Hi JS, yep things are a little backwards here, in the next year or two we are hoping to get an indoor fosset and such, the damn stream is cold for bathing in during the winter. :crying: ken

Ken

I didn't say you are backwards, or that you don't have running water. I simply said that you are a craftsman who uses period tools :think:. (Hence you take longer to do a quality job.)

(Now, if you leave a dame in a cold stream, you are doing something backwards!) :rolleyes:

Robert.....These pictures HAVE TO BE STAGED!! Where's the "Butt-Crack"?? :w00t:

He must have one of those Duluth shirts that comes in the Crack Spackle bucket. :lol:

Robert.....These pictures HAVE TO BE STAGED!! Where's the "Butt-Crack"?? :w00t:

Somebody sent me this picture sometime back about German plumbers, can't remember who. ;)

plumberc.jpg

That picture of working on the roof reminds me of my framing days, not picture frames, framing houses. When the boss ws gone, we'd shoot our nail gun at the other crews, and them at us, a miracle nobody ever got hurt, there is truth in "God helps fools and idiots". :lol:

Somebody sent me this picture sometime back about German plumbers, can't remember who. ;)

plumberc.jpg

That picture of working on the roof reminds me of my framing days, not picture frames, framing houses. When the boss ws gone, we'd shoot our nail gun at the other crews, and them at us, a miracle nobody ever got hurt, there is truth in "God helps fools and idiots". :lol:

Very few women of my acquaintance have a hairy chest! :yucky:

General Apathy

Hi Pat, you should remember who sent you the photo, ' tWAs mE ' :lol:

ken

Norman D. Landing, Forum Normandy Correspondent, 18 August 2012